PDA

View Full Version : Uses for old charts?

lets_go_flying
20th Apr 2004, 13:50
Just a thought as I re-organise my flight bag and pack the brand new half mill chart - any good uses for your old charts? I've used one before as a mask when painting the skirting board so the paint wouldn't get on the carpet.

Any good ideas before I bin it?

Thanks.

:)

<sorry if this has been covered before>

High Wing Drifter
20th Apr 2004, 14:23
I just give mine to my four year old daughter to pretend pilot with. Another six months and she'll make a first rate navigator :ok:

I might try and use one as a road atlas one day. I'll probably forgo the plog though :O

pulse1
20th Apr 2004, 14:32
I usually keep a couple to offer passengers on X countries. You never know, they might be able to tell me where I am.:D

FlyingForFun
20th Apr 2004, 14:35
I have them on my study wall. Very handy for the early stages of planning - where do I want to go next weekend, how far is it, is there any airspace in the way, etc.

Obviously not suitable for the actual flight planning, but much easier to see that EGXX is 150nm with a bit of Class D en-route when it's on the wall rather than getting my current chart out of my flight-bag, unfolding it, finding the info I want, re-folding the chart and putting it back. Especially when the chances are the weather means I'll never get to actually fly the trip anyway!

Also very handy (for low-hours and student pilots especially) to see how the airspace actually works. It's only when the chart is opened out that you can actually see the airways and see how their base changes as you move across the country.

Sorry for the serious replies on what is obviously not intended to be a serious thread. In the interests of keeping the thread light-hearted, I'll also add that unfolding and studying charts on the Tube in the rush-hour is great for getting back at the broadsheet readers who seem to think that they own the whole carriage and can open their newspaper in your face :D

FFF
--------------

stiknruda
20th Apr 2004, 15:13
I use them to wrap birthday pressies for fellow aviators/aviatrixes!

Stik

rotorboater
20th Apr 2004, 15:17
Sell it on ebay, you will probibly get more for it than it cost!;)

lets_go_flying
20th Apr 2004, 15:27
Actually, FFF , it was supposed to be a semi serious post! :O But I have to laugh at some of the replies. Actually your idea of putting on study wall is really good, also the one about giving to rear seat passengers.....

dublinpilot
20th Apr 2004, 15:36
You might also think of asking if anyone wants it?

I was very grateful to someone who forwarded me their old chart last year. As a non uk based pilot, considering making a trip over there, it makes thinking about what is practical a bit easier. Obviously once someone decides to go, and knows where they are going, they would need the current chart, but the old one would be helpful for some forward planning.

When I offered my old Irish one, there were plenty of takers ;)

dp

Monocock
20th Apr 2004, 15:41
I like to make a jigsaw out of mine:8

Brooklands
20th Apr 2004, 16:15
As well as the suggestions above, I've used an old map as a picnic mat - spread it out on the gound and put all the picnic stuff on it, being laminated means it doesn't get soggy if the ground is bit wet.

I did once consider getting one turned into table mats, but couldn't find anywhere that would make them.

Brooklands

Whirlybird
20th Apr 2004, 18:22
I have the whole of Britain on the loo wall. I plan routes while I'm....errrr.......

I sold quite a few on Ebay when I was charity fundraising. I didn't get more than the new price, but probably around half...especially for the northern one, and most especially Scotland, which people seem to want for reference...or dreaming...

The cafe at Wellesbourne uses them as table cloths/covers.

foghorn
20th Apr 2004, 20:45
I give mine to kids of friends and acquaintances who are interested in aeroplanes and flying.

Anything to keep the flame of interest burning.

javelin
20th Apr 2004, 21:05
I am looking for a last edition copy of 1/2 mills and a VFR flyer guide - must be cheap, they don't change the wrinkly bits around the edges do they !!

FNG
21st Apr 2004, 07:32
Javelin, PM me your address and I shall post you, if interested, the 2002 VFR Guide and chart edition 28 (I am keeping the 2003 guide and chart 29 for rough initial planning when in my office). No charge, but I suggest a donation to a suitable charity eg: your local air ambulance or RAF Benevolent fund.

FJJP
21st Apr 2004, 07:54
Your local ATC/CCF Sqn might appreciate any contributions for instructional purposes. We used to take all our out of date en-route and other non-classified charts from Ops to the local primary school - V. big sheets of paper are expensive, and the kids love the expanse of white to create their masterpieces!

left_hand_drive
21st Apr 2004, 08:58
Good thread! :ok:

I'm taking a friend's 'plane mad' 7 year old for an air experience flight in a couple of weeks. Assuming he's well behaved the old half mill chart will make an excellent souvenir for the young chap. If he isn't well behaved, it will be a handy parachute for him, if he unfolds it in time :}

Dewdrop
21st Apr 2004, 12:19
Great for backing school books.

MasterCaution
21st Apr 2004, 14:40
My most recent outdated chart is hanging on the wall with all my cross country routes* and landaway destinations marked on it so. It's nice to see where I've been so I can plan future routes to cover new ground.

MC.

(* or at least a straight-line approximation to where they should have been)

paulo
21st Apr 2004, 22:07
I use mine on the tube. I slowly unfold, looking quizzically as if there is a reason why I need to expand further and further. Eventually I manage to get the WHOLE half mill unwrapped, and make a 'seat tent', which gives me a further 30 minutes kip.

Occasionally it goes wrong and a disgruntled fellow passenger rips it away in disgrace. Obviously I remonstrate. "Don't use that for flight planning or navigation!! It's out of date!".

At that point they are usually quite surprised and leave me alone. Or call the police.
:}

Deano777
21st Apr 2004, 23:22
I just bin mine usually, I will think twice now though ;)
When are the new ones issued? I saw on the CAA website 19th April? I have a subscription service but as yet I have failed to recieve my new one :{ and I can't remember for the life of me who the subscription service was with although i know for sure it isnt Transair lol

D.

DBChopper
22nd Apr 2004, 08:53
It strikes me that with a bit of deft cutting and needlework, they could be fashined into a daring outfit for a film premier or similar swanky social occasion.

As an added bonus, the laminated one would be easy to wipe clean, avoiding nasty permanent curry or vomit stains.

FlyingForFun
22nd Apr 2004, 10:31
DBChopper,

I trust we will see you kitted out in said attire at the next bash? :eek:

FFF
--------------

Brooklands
22nd Apr 2004, 13:18
Perhaps I ought to keep one in the office, that way I can give correct distances when posting in the "Stokenchurch abolished ..." thread, rather than relying on what is obviously a *VERY* faillible memory

... its another smaller tower at Christmas Common about 8 miles south ...

To which FNG pointed out:

Christmas Common is only a mile or two south of Stokenchurch (If you went eight miles you'd practically be in Henley). The small mast with the lights on is close to the most excellent Fox pub, a fine place to refresh after kite flying on breezy Watlington Hill.

Brooklands

DBChopper
22nd Apr 2004, 22:20
FFF,

Don't tempt me...

Hey, do you reckon Transair would be interested in running a new "line?"

:ok:

boomerangben
23rd Apr 2004, 10:11
we have an old chart on the wall in the club for marking NOTAMS on - makes planning a whole lot easier...

24Right
23rd Apr 2004, 14:33
I give them to flight simmers so they can learn to fly properly with Microsoft. The UK simmers I've given them to are delighted to receive them.

24R