PDA

View Full Version : Swing-wings

GearDown&Locked
13th Apr 2004, 12:44
Just a thought...

Would it be feasable to use the swing-wing concept on civil aircrafts?

Just came to mind after looking at the Rockwell B-1, and picturing it as a civil/commercial aircraft, possibly a good substitute for the Concorde?

Any comments?

Phil Squares
13th Apr 2004, 13:41
Already been tried. Called B2707! One of the problems was the swing wing mechanism was too heavy and really impacted payload. Granted that was in the mid 60's and perhaps new technology would make a difference.

Wizofoz
13th Apr 2004, 13:46
Note that:-

1) It was only ever used on supersonic aircraft, so unless another SST comes along, there is no need for it.

2) Even on military aircraft it hasn't been on any new design since the seventies...there are simpler, lighter and better ways to achieve the same thing (efficiency over a wider speed range) using modern aerodynanics.

safetypee
13th Apr 2004, 15:20
B2707 Boeing? A bit late again: Barnes Wallis – Swallow 1950s (http://www.barneswallistrust.org/swingwing.htm)

Phil Squares
13th Apr 2004, 17:21
If I'm not mistaken the B 2707 was the first transport category aircraft to incorporate swing wing design. I think that is what the original post referred to. :ok:

Keith.Williams.
13th Apr 2004, 18:50
It is certainly true that current man made variable geometry technology is too heavy to be commercially viable. But almost every flying creature past and present has used variable geometry of one form or another. We still have a great deal to learn from the great skunkworks in the sky!!

GearDown&Locked
14th Apr 2004, 08:50
Keith Williams

In fact we already have some variable geometry present in the everyday aircraft through the use of flaps, slats, etc

I get the feeling that I'm talking rubbish , or science fiction, when I refer to this subject. Am I thinking in the wrong direction ?

Thanks everyone for your comments

Wizofoz
14th Apr 2004, 12:25
GD&L,

Not rubbish. As has been stated, both the great Barnes Wallace and Boeing designed aircraft with variable geometry for supersonic flight.

HOWEVER, it is not a panecea and supersonic commercial flight is still not a practical proposition, be it blended delta or swing wing.