PDA

View Full Version : AICs - legal status of?

overstress
12th Apr 2004, 21:32
Now I know I should know the answer to this, but I am v short of time, so could one of you knowledgeable legal types please tell me where I find the (preferably online) answer to the question:

What is the legal status of a pink AIC?

Many thanks in advance, I an away searching the ais.org site as you read this.

OzExpat
13th Apr 2004, 08:16
Don't know about online references, or different colours for these things but, as far as I'm aware, an AIC is an Aeronautical Information Circular. The operative word here is, as highlighted so, like the AIP, all it contains is "information" that is relevant to those involved in aviation.

You might try the ICAO website, for their definition of it, as this is likely to be the one used in your part of the world.

keithl
13th Apr 2004, 10:53
Good question, overstress . I also feel I should know the answer, but don't.
Tried the ICAO website - no help. All I can offer to the debate is the para at the Intro to AICs, which is entitled "Status".
That says, "AICs are originated whenever it is necessary to promulgate information which does not qualify.....for inclusion in the AIP, or promulgation by supplement".

The fact that it does not refer to any legal status tends to support OzExpat 's remarks.

overstress
13th Apr 2004, 20:11
This from the ais website administrator:

<Pink AICs are issued in regard to
'Safety Related Matters' and I suggest that you telephone the 'Content'
contact number given in the top-left panel of the relevant AIC to learn more
about the status and content of any such publication.>

The trouble is, I can't get the ais website to work properly with my browser, but that's another story

Spitoon
13th Apr 2004, 20:29
The status of AICs - in relation to other parts of the Aeronautical Information Service - are published in ICAO Annex 15.

I can't remember the answer off the top of my head but it's not quite as straightforward as it appears at first sight.

BOAC
13th Apr 2004, 22:00
OS - not much to offer you - I expect you have seen this:

"Aeronautical Information Circulars (AIC) are notices containing information that does not qualify for the origination of a NOTAM or for inclusion in the AIP. As a general rule, AICs refer to subjects that are of an administrative rather than an operational nature. They are, however, also used to publish advanced warnings of impending operational changes and to add explanation or emphasis on matters of safety or operational significance [my italics]. Aeronautical chart issues and corrections are also notified through the medium of the AIC."

You will see from the list of Pink AICs that several important issues are covered, and our company 'passes on' a few. I do not think they have any 'legal status' as such, but it is indeed a bold pilot/company that ignores them.