PDA

View Full Version : Circuit Etiquette

jayemm
29th Mar 2004, 19:49
What would you have done in these circumstances?

Returning to base one day, I informed by ATC as I joined deadside that I was number 2. (ATC is 'Information')

I looked ahead, left and right and towards Base-leg and could not see Number 1.

Turned downwind, and still could not see number 1. Called ATC who confirmed I was number 2. There was no communication between ATC and Number 1.

Fairly late downwind (according to my location), I spotted what might have been Number 1 treating the South East of England as the base leg, and seemingly taking it very slow. In fact, Number 1 was so far out, it could have been a passing aircraft.

Following him (or her) would have extended the circuit still further. I needed to decide whether to turn base and become No.1 or follow them and maintain a ludricous circuit or whether to find another option.

We were the only ones in the circuit at the time.

What would you have done?:confused:

millermilla
29th Mar 2004, 20:01
If there was enough seperation to allow me to slot in the number 1 position and land without causing the other pilot any delay then that is what I would do informing the ATC (Info) of my intensions however if I thought that by doing this I would delay the other pilot or at worst cause him to go around I would fit into the number 2 position behind him/her regardless. This sort of thing has happened to me a couple of times and is very annoying but is usually a genuine error of judgement by pilots that are unfirmiliar with the airfield.

GusHoneybun
29th Mar 2004, 20:05
I think you have answered this question yourself.

I spotted what might have been Number 1 treating the South East of England as the base leg

If you are not sure of the location of circuit traffic, then always assume the worst. Carry on downwind until either your contact turns base whilst you grumble under your breath about ocean liner circuits or until number 1 makes a position report to identify their position and make your decision accordingly.
A few extra minutes in the circuit won't kill you....

Just my opinion..

Wycombe
29th Mar 2004, 20:09
OK, so the one in front has gone on a tour of the borders of Hants/Surrey (if I've guessed the airfield correctly ;) )

You say you were still downwind, so by the time you've turned base & then finals, chances are he'd be about a mile behind you - which might work, or you might cause him to go around.

I'd say unless you're flying something much much faster (in which case make your intentions to become No 1 very clear on the r/t), slow down (consider configuring early) and follow.

Slow-Rider
29th Mar 2004, 20:11
I'm not too familiar with square circuits because I fly oval ones. In the case of an oval circuit I would definiately call "Going Around" and trundle back around at circuit heigh using the correct circuit pattern.

In a square circuit I would think the same is appropriate, bearing in mind how far out he is of course. By calling "going around" you don't cut in front of him in the circuit and you position for the deadside so you are clear of him. (Though is similar type he shouldn't catch up anyway) As such you are still number 2 but you happen to be closer to the airfield.

trevelyan
29th Mar 2004, 20:13
If I was unsure as to where No1 was id do a very quick r/t to the FISO and ask for the position of the aircraft ahead.

If he advises late downwind / on base / turning final etc at least you would know where to look and establish if the traffic you had visual with was him or not.

Always use caution as you have quite rightly demonstrated, but it may save you extending downwind for an aircraft that was actually just transiting pass the zone, rather than flying a not very accurate circuit.

Definately wouldnt turn base though until I was sure that he was already on final and in between me and the numbers.

regards.

:ok:

FNG
29th Mar 2004, 20:17
Whilst it is tempting to slot in ahead if safe to do so and the other aircraft is not on final, it may turn final from far out whilst you are flying a tight base leg, so, it maybe worth bearing in mind the following legal considerations.

Rule 17(5) on collision avoidance requires you (absent contrary instructions from ATC) to "conform to the pattern of traffic formed by other aircraft intending to land at that aerodrome, or keep clear of the airspace in which the pattern is formed". This suggests that the circuit (or pattern) is made by the aircraft flying in it at any given time (whatever the standard pattern or local circuit diagram may indicate), and so you must follow the aircraft ahead. Note also, however, rule 17(6), which states that "An aircraft while landing or on final approach to land shall have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or on the ground or water. It goes on to say that "in the case of two or more flying machines, gliders or airships approaching any place for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude shall have the right-of-way, but it shall not cut in front of another aircraft which is on final approach to land or overtake that aircraft." ATC can give instructions for landing priority.

This suggests that you may overtake in the circuit (but never on final). ATC instructions obviously do not apply in your scenario as the airfield only has FIS, and the numbering passed by the FISO is for information only.

Probably best to stay behind, even if this requires a go-around, or orbiting (if safe to do so: I'm personally not very keen on orbiting within circuits unless told to do so by full ATC). Or, as suggested above, slow down (lower flaps etc). A few more notches on the hobbs meter don't matter terribly, after all.

PS: also probably better, if uncertain of the other aircraft's intentions, to stay where you can see it, at least until it has landed or gone away.

DubTrub
29th Mar 2004, 20:19
maintain a ludricous circuit

If pilots will continue to conduct circuits outside the zone (dare I suggest ATZ) with an "Information" service, they have a Rule 19 (?) obligation to report departing and subsequently rejoining the ATZ.

They are therefore not in the circuit.

I will check up which Rule of the ANO refers, unless anyone else can chip in.

FNG
29th Mar 2004, 20:26
Dubtrub, you perhaps have in mind rule 39(3)

(3) The commander of an aircraft flying within the aerodrome traffic zone of an aerodrome to which this paragraph applies shall:

(a) cause a continuous watch to be maintained on the appropriate radio frequency notified for communications at the aerodrome or, if this is not possible, cause a watch to be kept for such instructions as may be issued by visual means;

(b) where the aircraft is fitted with means of communication by radio with the ground, communicate his position and height to the air traffic control unit, the aerodrome flight information unit or the air/ground radio station at the aerodrome (as the case may be), on entering the zone and immediately prior to leaving it.

------

The rule applies to Gov aerodromes, aerodromes with ATC and FIS during hours of watch and licensed a/g fields during hours of watch.

Trouble is, if someone is flying a circuit via the outer planets, they will be unlikely to consider that this rule applies to them, assuming (doubtfully) that they have ever heard of it.

IO540
29th Mar 2004, 20:39
jayemm

The correct answer is to follow #1. Even if you are paying £120/hr self fly hire rate.

The alternative is to cut him up and land in front of him. This is fine if you know what you are doing, but nearly all of the people who have cut me up in similar circumstances didn't know what they were doing, forcing me to do a G/A. Sometimes several times in a row.

You are more likely to see a faster plane doing bigger circuits. This may be irritating to someone flying a slow plane who is used to the airfield and flies tight circuits, but the faster plane will also finish the downwind and the base and be on final that much quicker (I fly downwind at 110kt, then gear down and trimming to 90kt on base and do the final at 80kt) and he will catch you before you know it - you will never be off the runway in time for him to land.

The only time someone cut me up "right" was a pilot of some aerobatic plane at Duxford whose "circuit" could probably have been flown within the perimeter of the runway :O

FNG
30th Mar 2004, 06:07
"Some aerobatic plane at Duxford"...

Wouldn't have been something called a Spitfire, by any chance? Funny looking old aeroplane, silly pointy wings, usually painted sludge green and brown. Makes a horrible racket. Gets lost when the railway points change. No room for golf clubs. Pretty useless really.

I only mention this because the speeds you describe for hot-ship mega-circuits are only a bit slower than those used by early Spitfires. Later ones approach a bit faster (say120 knots in an Mark XIV), but somehow they manage to fly their circuits inside the airfield.

IO540
30th Mar 2004, 07:56
FNG,

No, the Spit was there on the day but this was something much smaller. I don't know about aero types but it was a biplane I think.

I think circuit size is according to what one's been trained to do. In the PPL, they teach you to do things by the book, so you fly a "proper" rectangular circuit, at circuit height, and descend from cct height say halfway through the base leg (or not until turning final, at night, in some places). I went from a PPL through self fly hire of various junk to becoming an owner of a complex plane which is normally operated by the numbers, and never had a chance to mess about with tight circuits.

Perhaps if I had done some aerobatics then my outlook would be different, but I believe that currency ON TYPE is the #1 safety factor, and if I did say 30 hours of aeros in some aero type and then tried to do the same in what I now have (which isn't meant to be chucked about like that anyway) I don't think it would have done me much of a service. But it probably illustrates why some people fly much tighter circuits than others.

Also at an unfamiliar airfield, where you know there is traffic but can't see a lot of it, it is better to fly a larger circuit because it gives you more time to look around. If you have to avoid somebody when you are already banking at 30 degrees onto final, 10-15kt above the stall, you don't have many options!

I think having to do a G/A because somebody has cut you up on final is irritating but the resulting straightforward G/A is a lot safer than some other possibilities, e.g. you turning base in a tight left hand circuit and then you spot somebody (head-on) doing the same thing but with a right hand circuit (yes, I've seen it).

FNG
30th Mar 2004, 08:14
I'm not quite sure what options you don't have at 30 degrees AOB with 10-15 knots above the stall. I would say that you have a margin to manouevre in such a situation, even in a not very chuckable aircraft type. I agree heartily, however, that having to avoid people on final or elsewhere in the circuit is indeed vexing, but, as you say, the go-around in such a situation should be straightforward enough.

Small aerobatic biplane: probably a Pitts. There's a red one at Duxford that gives lessons. If it was purple one, that would be Stiknruda, larging it somewhat, merry fellow that he is. If you see him again, ask the chaps in the tower to see if those old Bloodhound missiles in the corner are still working.

IO540
30th Mar 2004, 08:31
I'm not quite sure what options you don't have at 30 degrees AOB with 10-15 knots above the stall

What you don't have is the option to tighten up the turn, or climb. In level flight, at 30deg bank, the stall speed is already some 7-10% up. It's a bit like on a motorbike; when banked over hard, you can't brake :O You are already likely to be relying on it being a descending turn, to keep the stall speed in check.

So when going to some free-for-all airfield I would prefer to do a larger circuit and fly a longer final.

FNG
30th Mar 2004, 08:44
I thought you meant 10-15 knots above the stalling seed for an aircraft at 30 degrees AOB, but take it that you mean 10-15 above the stalling speed for straight and level flight, in which case I agree that your margin is reduced, but, given that in the avoidance situation your concern is not with continuing the approach to landing, you are of course at liberty to lean on the throttle a bit. Certainly not a fun place to find yourself, though, and we agree that it's best to stay behind the other bloke rather than risk him popping up on you unexpectedly.

FlyingForFun
30th Mar 2004, 08:53
I'm with Slow-Rider on this one. Go around.

Definitely do not cut up the guy on final. He may not have spotted you yet, it might get nasty.... And it also might not be legal.

Going behind him is an option. If it's a busy circuit, then the next guy will have to go behind you, and the next guy behind him.... and the circuit will just get bigger and bigger. If it's a quiet circuit then it's not so bad, but you're going to be very low down, out of gliding distance of the airfield.... migth be acceptable, depending on the local terrain, or it might not.

There is no downside to going around in this situation, except that it might cost you a bit more cash and a bit more time (unless you are extremely low on fuel, in which case declare a Mayday and you become number one - but that's a different scenario entirely).

FFF
-----------------

stiknruda
30th Mar 2004, 09:14
FNG - yes, I fly a purple one but I also fly a red one and a white one! And every minute spent in my workshop brings me closer to flying a brand new one - have an idea of the paint scheme but will keep that quiet until I actually buy the paint!

IO540 - can't recall doing any circuits at Duxford, am normally cleared straight in from the east or join downwind if I have been aerobatting there to be critiqued by some of the UK's finest.

If you are concerned, let me know what date this heinous act occurred and I'll check my log-book. If it was me and I am quietly confident that it wasn't, I'll buy the beers.

The problem in the bipe stems from the fact that it is generally a constant rate turn from downwind to short final to allow oneself to see the r'way. If on downwind at 110/120mph it is not uncommon to quickly start overhauling traffic in front, as one generally pulls power abeam the numbers and starts to turn and descend at say 95/100mph, it is VERY tempting to nip in front of traffic who are extending their downwind legs. Tempting because if you have to follow them into the next county, you are going to have to slow down, the more you slow, the higher goes the nose, the higher the nose goes, the less you can see out the front! It is quite an eerie feeling knowing that somewhere in front of you is a C150 but you don't know exactly how far!

Nipping in front and flying a very tight circuit generally causes very few problems, the issue is that unless a "belly-check" (rolling wings level and looking away from the runway) is done when approaching 90 degrees to runway heading you will NOT be able to see any traffic on final. This can be disastrous at worst and does lead to the sort of negativity towards very maneouverable, fast moving biplanes that IO540 has experienced.

Anecdotally - my first ever foray into the PFA Rally in 1997 in my vintage taildragger, I was nicely established on a 1 mile final when a yellow Pitts cut me up beautifully. We both continued downward and onward and he was told to land short, I was asked if I could comply with "land long".

Yes, it was a bit stressful but in reality it was a pretty minor em******ance! A few months later, I met the owner/pilot of that yellow bumble bee and recounted my tale. He swore that he'd not seen me!

I do try and promote "belly-checks" at all possible opportunites if flying a curved approach.

Stik

Stik

FNG
30th Mar 2004, 09:20
Truly, Stik, you are to Pitts Specials what Carrie Bradshaw is to handbags and Manolos. Don'y you go getting a pink one, mind.

I assumed that it couldn't be you, as don't you do all your rejoins inverted?

IO540
30th Mar 2004, 12:39
stiknruda

I said the Duxford instance was the one case I recall where the other aircraft did get in before me with enough time left :O

I don't know if he was doing circuits.

Keef
30th Mar 2004, 18:36
The delight of flying out of an airfield with full ATC is in exactly this situation. Told we're number 3, then as we come abeam the threshold on the downwind "Can you accept a tight circuit?"

"Affirmative".

"Cleared to final number one, turn in now."

Happens quite often, and usually we're down, off the runway, down the taxiway and onto the apron before the next one comes over the fence.

I watched a Twotter do a tight approach a few years ago - I don't think he went outside the airport perimeter, turned final at something like 250 feet and half a mile, landed, and off at the first intersection. Pure poetry in motion. Almost slow motion.

Saab Dastard
30th Mar 2004, 18:51
Slow-rider and FFF,

Just clarify, please - for a go-around from downwind, would you inform others of your intentions and then simply fly crosswind at circuit height to the deadside (somewhere between upwind and downwind numbers), then rejoin the circuit by flying crosswind again at the upwind end of the airfield?

Ta

SD

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Mar 2004, 19:08
I watched a Twotter do a tight approach a few years ago ... something like 250 feet ... That's high for a bush plane ... why not do the whole trip at 100' above the water?
http://www.pilotcareercentre.com/images/APL/drewburg41.JPG
(Oh, you're talking about one with wheels on? - sacrilege!)

jayemm
30th Mar 2004, 21:03
I put what I actually did in the situation down to "a learning experience" and wasn't particularly proud of the outcome. :ouch:

Dubtrub: rule 39(3) didn't help because No. 1 was ignoring it.

The problem, as FNG suggested is getting a balance between rules, common sense (safety) and experienced judgement to inform the decision. It had nothing to do with the money, as IO540 suggested, but everything to do with whether I extend the circuit or "Nip in" as Stiknruda suggested, to maintain a reasonable circuit.

I decided to "nip in". I turned base, informed ATC who replied "Call final". On final, at about 50' and having called "Final to land", I suddenly hear the now no. 2 call "going round because some is now in front of me". Clearly I had either misjudged the distance of the other aircraft or had failed to see the correct one altogether. I believe we were not close enough to cause danger, and no-one said anything else, but the other guy probably saw me as having "pushed in", which I had. :rolleyes:

My conclusion is that, unless you're an experienced Pitts pilot like Stiknruda (correct?), follow the one in front. You can always go round if you get too close.

DubTrub
30th Mar 2004, 22:04
Thanks to FNG and others who corrected me on the Rule.

JM, if No.1 was ignoring it, then surely you can complete your circuit in accordance with the Rules. This means that you would not be "cutting them up" (a term regularly mis-quoted). I always "cut" someone "up" if they do ludicrously large circuits, but I take care not to divert them from safe conduct of their flight, nor to inconvenience them unless they have done it twice.

I should argue that pilots conducting circuits outside of the designated airspace for circuits is illegal and dangerous (Endangerment and Rules Of The Air) .

Visibility of yourself and others within the circuit is of paramount importance. Pilots operating in large cross-country circuits do not help themselves by operating away from where other circuit traffic expect them to be.

GTW, nice photo. One of yours? If so, can I have a go?

DT

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Mar 2004, 22:20
One of yours? I wish! - I'd settle for a Beaver actually. As it is, it's rented spamcans.

DubTrub
30th Mar 2004, 22:45
GTW:

Beaver is OK, but twin jets (Twotter) on floats?

Loverleyyyyy

Keef
30th Mar 2004, 23:36
Twotter on floats is indeed a thing of beauty, but it would have trouble landing at Sahfen' without wheels.

It just looked so amazing when that (relatively) large bird did a quick pirouette from downwind onto final, and promptly sat on the runway, and equally promptly turned off and down the taxiway.

Stunning! I had to give myself a stern talking-to about not being able to afford one.

FNG
31st Mar 2004, 06:36
jayemm, I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, as it sounds as though the other aircraft may not have been paying attention, either by looking or listening. He may have made his somewhat petulant call whilst still miles behind you. Some people seem to fly as if in a bubble and only listen to their own RT. I mentioned above that I'm not generally very keen on orbitting in the circuit, but recall once doing so in a slow-chugging Cub, with an instructor. It was his call, as there was a faster aeroplane behind us which appeared to be having difficulty slowing down and keeping a distance. The instructor clearly announced that we would orbit once to allow the other guy to pass ahead (he was simply being courteous) . The next we hear is a splutttering alarmed voice on the radio: "There's somebody flying the wrong way around the circuit!". At least he was (sort of) looking, if not listening.

Saab, if going around from downwind or base, I would call "going around, circuit height" and fly the normal base leg without descending, then fly along slightly to the right of the runway and turn crosswind. Lookout and listening should tell you if anyone is joining deadside or coming onto crosswind that you need to avoid. As keef mentioned, if there is ATC, you may get some help: they might for example invite you to peel off for a a tight circuit from half way along the runway.

FlyingForFun
31st Mar 2004, 07:36
Saab,

I agree completely with FNG's description of how to go around from either downwind or base.

Jayemm,

As FNG said, don't be too harsh on yourself. Something to consider, though (and it may or may not have been appropriate or possible in this situation, I don't know...) is having a quick chat with the other pilot in the club-house afterwards - just to clear the air, make sure that he knows that you know that you didn't make the best choice, and doesn't walk away calling you an a$$-hole when all you've done is make a minor mistake.

(Happened to me last weekend, in fact. I was joining from the deadside, when someone took off and announced they were turning downwind for a low-level circuit. I realised there was a potential conflict, and decided to fly a tight circuit myself to stay ahead of the other aircraft. I completely screwed it up - the other aircraft was much tighter than I was, and I actually made the conflict worse. The other pilot informed me that he wanted to go in front of me, which was fine by me, so I extended downwind - but I think we were both left wondering what the other one was thinking. On the ground, though, we had a brief chat and both walked away knowing that both of us could have handled the situation better, and both of us were aware of our mistake, therefore neither of us was calling the other an a$$-hole. And, what's more, the other pilot turned out to be an examiner who was just finishing a successful skills test with another PPRuNer - so congratulations, you know who you are! :ok: )

FFF
----------------

englishal
31st Mar 2004, 07:57
I can't really see a problem cutting in if someone if doing a tour of the county on downwind, as long as it doesn't cause them to go around. Thats plain rude. The trouble is deciding what they are going to do, especially if they are non radio. I'd be inclined to follow in this case.

I had a similar thing at Gamston in a TB20, a 152 or something decided to extend miles downwind, which caused us problems. As the TB20 is faster than the 152, we had to extend even further so we didn't run up their backside on final. Before you know it you're low, slow and miles from a runway ;)

bar shaker
31st Mar 2004, 08:50
The 'huge circuits' debate is something that probably stems from people applying their home field circuit style to new places that they visit. If you fly from somewhere with a close circuit it can be very frustrating following someone unfamiliar with your pattern who wants a 6 mile final. What makes it worse is that a ten minute circuit will increase the number of aircraft that are in circuit, on a typical weekend day. If those in circuit have greatly differing speeds, it all gets very tricky. Being in a twin, at number 3 to a 152 and a microlight, with the microlight following the 152's big circuit is not going to be fun.

RT is the key and I've found that most people don't mind you jumping in... if you ask. If the arriving aircraft is non radio, ATC will hopefully know this, be expecting them and will advise... in which case I would always follow them. Even if it felt like a cross country.

The other point is if arriving somewhere new, you can always ask for landmark turnpoints for their prefered circuit. Some ATC will say "please stay outside the village" or "turn base at outside the water tower" etc.

The main thing is that circuits are probably the highest risk period of our flights. Descending to circuit level is when most aircraft are prone to carb icing and 800ft doesn't give you much glide time to find somewhere to go into, if it all went quiet. Ideally, you would call a Pan or even Mayday and get into the airfield. If you are 3 miles away, you options may be much more limited.

A and C
31st Mar 2004, 09:29
If someone is flying such big circuits that he has left the circuit area for no other reason than he cant control the aircraft within the normal circuit area then he has left the circuit and you should not follow him.

I wont have my costs put up by those who cant or wont fly properly.

Ludwig
31st Mar 2004, 09:44
When is a circuit not a circuit and when is final, final. If the bomber command circuit flyer is say three miles out on a three or four mile final, he is outside the ATZ anyway so is it still a valid final? If it is then as I approach an airfield and call say 25 mile final can I threrfore assume that no one will land before I get there as I have called final, the fact that there are 10 other in the circuit is tough they will then have to do 15 mile wide circuits so as not to cut me up.

:confused:

Boing_737
31st Mar 2004, 12:47
I guess the whole thing boils down to airmanship at the end of the day. I am no expert in any way shape or form, but, if someone believes they are in the circuit, they are going to carry on regardless. As pilots we have a duty of care to avoid any unnecessary conflict in the air or ground, and if that means you have to go around even though you are in the right (or have at least have right of way), then so be it. I would rather go around than end up in pieces on the floor. You can quote the ANO until you're blue in the face, but it doesn't mean bloggs is going to follow it to the letter - so what if it costs you an extra 10 minutes? In my view, there is no point in getting wound up by it (especially in the cockpit) as this is just going to cause you stress and increase your workload (this may not be true for all, but certainly for me as a low hour PPL).

If you want an interesting time, visit White Waltham on a busy Saturday - Pitts and Tiger Moths flying tight circuits, 6 or 7 studes in the normal circuit (+- 100' :E ), visitors flying wide or tight circuits, its also a/g radio and accepts microlights and non-radio acft. You just have to keep a good look out

FNG
31st Mar 2004, 17:12
Fun, ain't it! It works most of the time. I've only seen a couple of untoward incidents, including that popular classic, the attempted "double decker" or "instant biplane homebuild" landing (which two guys in the States actually accomplished a couple of years ago). Never mind flying with a 25 stone stude: try it with someone parked up on your lift generating surfaces.

IO540
31st Mar 2004, 17:27
I hope people are exxagerating when they talk about 3,4,6,25 mile finals :O

I've been cut up when turning base about 2nm max from the runway numbers, which I regard as close enough and, after all, that's how most PPLs have been trained if they fly the circuit at circuit height.

MLS-12D
31st Mar 2004, 18:44
I spotted what might have been Number 1 treating the South East of England as the base leg, and seemingly taking it very slow. In fact, Number 1 was so far out, it could have been a passing aircraft. That's the story of my life at the Brampton Flying Club, where people typically fly circuits so far out that one would think they are heading for another aerodrome. And of course this is capped by swooping down on (extra-long) final to about 150' agl, and then dragging the airplane in under power for the next 1½ miles. This has been the subject of many complaints (see here (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/systemsafety/newsletters/tp185/4-01/313.htm), for example), but nothing ever changes. Someday, somebody is going to be killed. :ugh:

stiknruda
31st Mar 2004, 18:44
"2nm max from the runway numbers, which I regard as close enough"

I understand that you fly something "executive" with an N reg. Tell me honestly, (assuming that it is a single) if the donk failed 2miles out and you were at 1,000' and you had 10kts straight down the runway, could you make it to the threshold?:confused:

I don't know the answer in your mount but in my regular steed, I'd convert anything above 100mph into height, trim for the ton and expect to be seeing grass flying up from the wheels within a mile. :ouch:

As mine glides like the proverbial flat-iron, I do try and keep any circuits very tight with bags of energy (speed/height) that I can dissapate at will.:ok:

Stik

A and C
31st Mar 2004, 19:33
By the end of a PPL course I expect the student to be able to fly a constant turn from downwind to rolling the wings level at about 300ft on final.

The tighter the circuit the more landings per hour so the more practice the student gets the better they get.

I cant help wondering if these large circuits are for the benifit of the student or the club owners or instructors ?.

The great advantage with these tight circuits is that if the engine stops you have a better than even chance of putting the aircraft back on the field.

MLS-12D
31st Mar 2004, 19:45
I cant help wondering if these large circuits are for the benifit of the student or the club owners or instructors?
Oh no, the dirty little secret is out. :E

IO540
31st Mar 2004, 20:39
stiknruda

Of course one cannot do an engine-out landing off a 3deg glideslope, but if one had to cater for that, there would be no instrument approaches for anything but airliners.

To cover that angle (no pun intended) I would need to come in at about 7 degrees (clean config, gear up, a minimum £30,000 landing fee :O ), or around 10-15 degrees in the proper landing config. I've done the latter and it's no problem but it's not a normal choice, partly because if landing in a free-for-all field somebody else could come in underneath me.

If one had to allow for an engine failure anywhere, there would be no trips over water, over forested areas, no takeoffs over anything but clear fields, etc.

It's not an N-reg but will be soon...

I would suggest one is more likely to have a prang flying a tight circuit in an effort to facilitate a no-engine landing from any point in the circuit, than to have an engine failure, particularly at the low power settings in the circuit (<50%). Unless you've been taught to do it properly, and I never have.