PDA

View Full Version : how have you been shown a bad WX circuit?

fudgy2000
24th Mar 2004, 19:17
how have you been shown a bad WX circuit???

climb to 600 aal, sweeping climb onto downwind-2 stages??

Evo
24th Mar 2004, 19:35
yes... and lots of fun they are too :)

Another St Ivian
24th Mar 2004, 20:12
Yep, have been shown them and practice them regularly. Used them in anger a couple of times too.

ASI

flyingwelshman
24th Mar 2004, 21:54
Hi,

Yes - certainly have. Why do you ask? Is it not on the PPL syalabus?

In anger? Why would you do that?

FW

Another St Ivian
25th Mar 2004, 07:54
I haven't used them in anger in the literal sense!
Used in anger, as in when the wx really was bad rather than just for practice.

ASI

FlyFreeWbe
25th Mar 2004, 07:59
@ ASI, I see you're from cambridge..does that mean you learned to fly @ Marshalls Aerodrome?
Yea my first bad Wx circuit with my FI was fun. Did a straight in on Runway 05 grass stopped descent @ c.10ft :ooh: then climbed back up to about 5-600'. He didn't see the three helicopters hovering close by the runway and when he did he all but screamed like a girl (sorry ladies) and grabbed at the controls. I was coping well though methinks..

I think it's on the syllabus too. Its actually quite helpful if you get stuck out there under a descending cloud layer.

FFW

FNG
25th Mar 2004, 08:21
Certainly was shown them: both pretendy ones and real ones during the course, and had to do a real one on my first ever PPL trip with a passenger (what this tells you about my judgment in getting airborne that day you can deduce for yourselves) . On my revalidation check ride the other week my cheerful instructor said that he'd put his hands over my eyes if I went a whisker above 600 feet whilst we did a pretendy clag circuit. I did, he did, and the point was well made, although of course it's easier in real life if there's actual cloud in your hair.

PS: fudgy, bear in mind that if forced into doing a real one, you may not be doing the climb stage, but may be joining the circuit at low level and flying a tight downwind, with perhaps a constant aspect continuous turn to final.

IO540
25th Mar 2004, 08:34
I think anybody who thinks a low level circuit is easy should try doing it under the conditions where one might actually have to do one, e.g. 3km visibility in heavy rain, turbulence, and just below an 800ft cloudbase, tops at 10000ft (or no instrument/IMC rating) with 1500ft terrain nearby, and the icing level at 1000ft :O

FNG
25th Mar 2004, 08:47
Been there, done that, ate the chocolates, got the t-shirt, IO. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is perversely enjoyable and satisfying precisely because it requires maximum focus. Risk does so concentrate the mind, don't you find?

dublinpilot
25th Mar 2004, 10:45
Nope, never shown.

Another St Ivian
25th Mar 2004, 11:39
FlyFreeWbe; Private Msg'd you.

ASI

S-Works
25th Mar 2004, 11:39
I thought a ad weather circuit was part of the PPL and I certainly recall it being part of my skills test.

fudgy2000
25th Mar 2004, 11:46
at what part do you lower 2 stages of flap??

Andy_R
25th Mar 2004, 11:53
500'

...... or as your height dictates!

My instructor did mention that some students only manage low level circuits on their precautionary landing lesson as controlled aerodromes are sometimes reluctant to let you do them. We were lucky this week in that we were the only ones around, and even then we had to join crosswind for another runway before being given permission from ATC to carry out 3 touch and go's.

Worth doing. Feel it was a very valuable lesson.

FlyingForFun
25th Mar 2004, 11:56
Fudgy,

Please don't try this out yourself. Get your instructor to show you. Although the descriptions that you've read in this thread are pretty accurate, I don't like the idea of a student trying out a low-level manoeuvre without appropriate guidance from an instructor.....

FFF
--------------

AerBabe
25th Mar 2004, 12:34
Shown them during my PPL and first lesson of tailwheel conversion was done in low cloud. That really made things busy!

Especially interesting was having to orbit at not many hundred feet on final to let a couple of gliders land. :uhoh:

pulse1
25th Mar 2004, 12:48
I was not taught them, nor tested on them second time around. First time round I did them in a Tiger Moth and hated approaching at 45 kts with power and the nose in the air - hard to check descent rate and when to chop the power, no flare needed. I never had the confidence to do that solo after my GFT.

I did my GFT on a frosty morning and, when I taxied back to take off again, I could see where the tail skid had touched down - impressively close to the downwind hedge!!!

IO540
25th Mar 2004, 15:23
FNG

Risk does so concentrate the mind, don't you find?

No, I prefer to eliminate risk as far as possible. And minimise pilot workload while I am at it; the two are closely related.

FNG
25th Mar 2004, 16:37
Perhaps these are different modes of expressing the same concept. Controlling and managing risk is to me one of the attractions of flying, as with other sports which entail dangers more considerable than tennis elbow. I read an article about risk sports the other days which suggested than those who are by character disposed to participate in such sports are no more tolerant of danger and risk than those who are not so disposed, but seek to mimimise risk by improving their skills.

FlyFreeWbe
25th Mar 2004, 21:37
Thanks ASI, just realised you put Cambridgeshire (I must learn to read), just like me. Course I don't live anywhere near Cambridge..

To be honest, I vaguely remember a certain 'somebody' going out on his orientation exercises and doing a few extreme maneuvers just to see what the aircraft would do :E Needless to say, instructors weren't happy when I told them my findings. (Don't worry FFF, I'd already done the training and they did say I could practice emergencies.. :p ) I'm sure I'm not the only one?? Although nowadays that 'somebody' is a lot more sensible.

FFW

TangoZulu
26th Mar 2004, 13:22
500ft or so

80kts

2 stages of flap in PA-28

Not outside the airfield boundary to make sure you keep the runway in sight at all times having broken out of cloud (did them all the time during the IMC course - down the ILS to 500ft then bad Wx cct to land)

Never seems to be a problem to do them at Bournemouth

TZ

QDMQDMQDM
26th Mar 2004, 15:13
500 feet is the average circuit height at farm strips, with typically a racetrack pattern. Low level, bad weather circuit is 1-200 feet, about 60-120 seconds wheels rolling to wheels stopped.

QDM

shortstripper
26th Mar 2004, 16:13
Not really the same thing ... but I can't help mentioning one of my favourite flights ever ... but it only lasted about four minutes (if that) :p

I wanted to move the VP2 from a field on one side of the farm to one on the other....

Took off, hopped over the hedge, dropped down a (very) small incline, climbed to clear some trees and landed ... great fun! :E

SS

millermilla
26th Mar 2004, 22:00
I done bad weather circuits as part on my training and flew an oval circuit at 600ft. It was one of those exercises that was quite enjoyable to be practicing but as for doing it for real....NO THANKS!
I also done an engine failure from the overhead at 2000ft landing on the runway. Is this part of the PPL sylabus to actualy land from a simulated engine failure? The landing was after practicing PFL's and without me knowing in the overhead the instructor chopped the throttle.

Best Regards

Keith

Thirty06
27th Mar 2004, 13:29
I was shown the oval circuit at 600ft, pretty much inside the fence.

Then I went to an airfield where the circuit height is 600ft and was expected to fly a regular rectangle. I think their low level circuit is for hedge trimming purposes.

Landing from a PFL, I reckon it's essential. I was shown an overhead join with a quick pulling of the throttles on the way down so that I had to judge the glide in. Made it. Another student was apparently on the downwind leg when the instructor chopped the throttles and said 'Land it'.

In the GFT the prescence of other aircraft means that you will only get to demonstrate the glide approach. You get to nominate where the engine goes off and then land. My examiner nominated a set of marks on the runway and I had to reach them, a jolly finale to a GFT.

IO540
28th Mar 2004, 08:42
QDM

The difference there is that the planes tend to be a lot slower anyway. It's a lot easier to fly a tight circuit at 50kt than at 110kt.

Flyin'Dutch'
28th Mar 2004, 09:04
Low level, bad weather circuit is 1-200 feet, about 60-120 seconds wheels rolling to wheels stopped.

Show off!

;)

FD