PDA

View Full Version : Recurrent threads that make you lose your will to live

FNG
21st Mar 2004, 15:04
It is inevitable on a bulletin board such as this one that certain topics will recycle from time to time, and quite often, when they do, you find out something new, but I bet we can all think of subjects that make us go "noooooooooo!, not that one again!!!" every time they heave into view.

My own personal (anti) favourites are the "Can I log the flying time if I read a Biggles book?" thread (one of which has recently hi-jacked a thread about pre and post fuel tyre-kicking) and the "How many gold bars should I wear for my trial lesson?" thread (a variant of which is running at the moment). It's a close call, but that one depresses me the most: the idea that people may actually think it matters what a PPL or an instructor wears when flying (so long as it isn't easily inflammable, who gives a monkeys). Oh well, I should get out more, but it's too windy to go flying.

Which threads make you reach for your revolver?

(apart from [a] this one and [b] that one that never, ever, ever goes away: you all know the one I mean)

mad_jock
21st Mar 2004, 15:10
Can I log check rides with an Instructor as PIC.

MJ

Evo
21st Mar 2004, 15:41
There are a few, but the irritation level is normally related to how recently i've had a coffee. I'm sure all the dumb questions I've asked were original here when I asked them... :O

Stick or Yoke and High-wing/low-wing are two come around a bit too often, along with the P1CUS on a checkride one and the slagging match between PFAers and flying-school PA28 drivers (or any other two groups you care to mention). There's also the endless IMC debates about flying an ILS in OVC020, flying VFR "on top" in France and what the ANO does or doesn't say and whether or not noscitur a sociis applies... :)

BRL
21st Mar 2004, 15:43
Any post/thread that comes up with something that could easily be sorted using the search function.

loftustb
21st Mar 2004, 15:48
My plan is to study for the ATPL exams at the same time as my GCSEs. Are they really hard? I looked at the PPL stuff and it all makes sense so I think the ATPLs will be OK. I want to finish them before May because my parents are taking us to Florida for 3 weeks and I could do the CPL while I'm there and then I'd be ready for the airlines summer recruitment. Is this a good plan?

(Not strictly Private Flying, but this one drives me bananas)

Evo
21st Mar 2004, 15:54
So, BRL, that's the only thing that bugs you then...? :E

I'll add "I've got a PPL/IMC/Copy of FS2k - can I land a 737?" to the list

dublinpilot
21st Mar 2004, 16:00
I don't really mind people asking questions that have been asked before, because the people asking are usually new to PPRUNE.

However occasionaly someone askes a question, that was so recently asked, that it's only a few lines down on the first page of threads! Now they do upset me :rolleyes:

Oh, I suspose also the "what is the landing fee for x"....why not just pick up the phone and ring them and ask?

BEagle
21st Mar 2004, 16:03
Has anyone been to O.... err, that place in Florida.

posts in txtmsg yoofspeak, 'i' for 'I', 'u' for 'You'.....

Can anyone suggest a headset

How many microlight hours can I use towards my ATPL?

mad_jock
21st Mar 2004, 16:26
:D BEagle the O place usually gives a few moments of amusment until the mods delete the thread.

MJ

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Mar 2004, 16:37
I have no problem at all with people asking about things which have been asked before.

Don't we all reread a good book or listen to the same record a few times over?

As said before they are usually asked by new people either to the board or aviation. The search function until recently had been disabled for a long time.

If we are talking about pet hates then it has to be: People knowingly talking b*ll*x or being misinformed and unable or willing to accept that they may actually be incorrect.

Something which would obviously never happen to me!

:D

FD

Genghis the Engineer
21st Mar 2004, 16:59
I suppose the two that I've noticed reappearing most are (1) what type should I learn on, and (2) how should I fill out my logbook.

Seriously, I hit this problem on the FT forum (where I'm moderator for my sins). I solved it by creating a permanent "FAQ" sticky here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=81428) which points to the most complete threads on the most common questions. It seems to have worked well - maybe you should try the same BRL?

G

Timothy
21st Mar 2004, 17:20
Um....might seem too simple, but I just don't open the ones I don't want read. Pink Headsets, as referred to above, I haven't looked at for over a year, and even then it seemed unbelievably tired, but hey! it's not for me and it is for others...I just don't notice it any more. Same goes for "best school in Florida", "Who's going to Sun'n'Fun", "How do I convert to FAA" and so on, which I don't care about but others do.

The only ones that irritate me somewhat are the ones with vague titles like "Question" or "Can anyone help me?" But now I don't open them either, so it is the poster's loss that he doesn't get to mine the seam of my limitless knowledge* because he hasn't interested me in the subject line :}

Timothy

*PS For the autistic on the forum, that was a joke, I don't need PMs about humility thank you.

FNG
21st Mar 2004, 17:24
Keep it up, fellow ranters! I'm certainly not objecting to people asking questions that have been asked before. The response "why don't you use the search function, you t***er?"
can be thought a tad unfriendly. No one could mind student pilots raising topics that it's pretty natural to be curious about , particularly when taking lessons (although one might wonder, given some of the questions, if some students and instructors ever speak to one another). Allowing for this, there's still enough pointless stuff (various examples listed above) to make you wish to chew the furniture. I know that it is customary on pprune to adopt a saintly attitude and say "there are no silly questions, just silly answers", but I venture that you can stretch this point too far.

PS: Hear hear, Beagle, on the subject of txt yoofspeak. Ranting yet further, why is the internet assumed to be a safe haven for wretched spelling, punctuation and grammar?

I shall now go and take my medication.

PS: The obvious solution of "don't read the stuff" is of course a sound one, but fails to take sufficient account of the Curse of Pprune, which compels the afflicted to spend time that could profitably be spent elsewhere reading endless threads about the door handles on sub variants of spam cans. There is no known cure for this, except perhaps going flying, but whoever heard of anyone doing that.

yawningdog
21st Mar 2004, 17:37
I think there should be a "sell-by-date" on the "Stickys". They take up most of the screen, and clutter the new posts.

By the way, can anyone recommend what sort of GPS I should buy, I'm thinking about becoming an airline pilot, and want to know how much money its going to cost me and also, in how many hours should I do my first solo?

IO540
21st Mar 2004, 17:54
One of the reasons why an "FAQ" will never satisfy a lot of people is that a lot of the answers given here to the frequent questions are unclear or simply wrong.

If the person asking doesn't have a clue, they may well go away and be happy with the answer (right or wrong).

But if someone does have a clue (and this is what the internet is so very good for - getting generally clued up about issues and thus finding out what questions to ask) they may well want to ask again, because they can see the previous thread on the subject was inconclusive, or they suspect the answers in it were wrong.

Take the N-reg / FAA PPL/IR privileges in G-reg / N-reg planes for example. You never see so much confusion (and occassionally rubbish) in one place. Only an aviation lawyer or a CAA official, prepared to go on the record, would be able to settle these issues, and this has to date never happened on the internet, to my knowledge.

(Incidentally I do wonder why the CAA never go on the record; it would do a lot of good. Instead they just hide behind unanswered faxes/emails, choosing very carefully which ones they answer, or not)

So many threads will just repeat.

Flyin'Dutch'
21st Mar 2004, 18:44
IO,

I understand that one of the reasons why one cannot get a clear answer to many of the questions in aviation is that these are regulations made up by the CAA rather than law as in made in parliament.

The final interpretation therefore will depend on case law as decided by the courts.

No doubt those with a legal degree can explain this a lot better than I can.

FD

Monocock
21st Mar 2004, 18:49
I'm glad this thread has emerged because you will now hear Mono' in 5th gear.....

1. The "what GPS should I buy" threads really spin my swede as there have been at least twenty of these in the last 2 years.

2. " How much does it cost to run an aircraft" must have been killed by now. The basic answer always comes out the same........................A LOT!!!!!

3. "My first solo" does grate me but I suppose it's only because it has been so long since mine that I can't bloody remember and I'm only 31!!!!!

4. The "what aircraft should I learn in" is a winner! I'm dying to reply one day saying that they should learn in the a/c their instructor bloody well tells them to!

5. "Where should I learn in America". Say no more......if you're gonna learn there then bloody well stay there and fly there for all I care. If you then feel up to putting up to the vaguaries of the UK climate then come and have a go if you think you're tough enough!

AND MY MOST ANNOYING (HENCE THE CAPITALS) IS.............

6. THE PIPER WARRIOR/ARCHER/ARROW TARMAC HUGGING BRIGADE. THOSE WHO HAVE FLOWN 500 HOURS FROM "MOTORWAY" AIRFIELDS AND THEN MOAN WHEN THEY HAVE TO FIND A WAY IN TO LESS THAN 700 YDS OF BUMPY GRASS. THE MOST ANNOYING ARE THE PEOPLE WHO GIVE THEIR OPINION ON SHORT FIELD LANDING TECHNIQUES WHEN THE BEST THEY HAVE ACHIEVED IS TURNING OFF THE TARMAC SLIGHTLY SHORTER THAN THEY WERE INSTRUCTED TO!!!!

THE SHORT FIELDERS OF THIS FORUM (QDMQDMQDM, SHORTSTIPPER, LOWNSLOW etc.) HOPEFULLY WILL BACK ME UP HERE................................

For crying out loud, there are people discussing "variable flap technique on finals in a Warrior for short field performance". Sorry chaps, the Warrior is as short field performing as my Land Rover Defender is Hockenheim performing. You've got a horse to ride so stick to the course it's designed for. Gengis hits the nail on the head in his reply tonight.

:ok:

Zlin526
21st Mar 2004, 20:35
The thing that gets up my nose the most is the 50hr PPL who thinks he/she knows everything about aviation, bar none. Most of it gleaned from MS Flight Sim 2000 or the flying club bar no doubt:rolleyes:

And Monocock, agree 1000% with your verdict on the Warrior thread....

Want to land short-field? Get a Piper Cub!

FNG
21st Mar 2004, 20:47
Well done Monocock, now that's what I call a rant.

PS: please don't get too serious about all this, people. Working Hard recently had a gentle dig at the slightly silly use of airfield codes when chatting about flying, but people took it all with grim seriousness for about 92 pages. This thread is primarily intended to afford an opportunity to blow off steam (not least by being rude about people who stay up late worrying if they should learn in in something that looks like s**t and flies worse or in something that looks worse and flies like S**t).

PPS: breaking my own rule and being serious for a moment: FD, Parliament approves all of the Regulations, and laws are in any event no more guaranteed to be clear or to provide for all eventualities (this latter being impossible) if made by primary legislation than if made by secondary regulation.

Sensible
21st Mar 2004, 22:35
Ahhh but not everyone who visits these forums is entirely up to speed with every previous post content as are some others. It is clear from some of the postings that the author asking the question is most likely a new poster and it takes a very short time for one of the veterans here to actually post a link or indeed send a PM explaining the search function. All of us were new to these forums once, patience costs nothing, and threads such as this in my view serve to scare off newcomers. Not everyone is acquainted with the search function, the operation of which is historically intermittent in any event.

My only annoyance is postings from people who ask a question which is currently under discussion on another thread within the same forum. :ugh:

scottish_ppl
22nd Mar 2004, 00:35
Hi Viz Waistcoats....

They cost pennies, for goodness sake just buy one, chuck it in the plane and stop complaining about it....

LowNSlow
22nd Mar 2004, 04:29
Monocock duly seconded as requested. It was/is a good demonstration of people commenting about a subject that their knowledge of is limited.

I can put up with the new Ppruners who ask the obvious questions cos (sorry BEagle, FNG, lapsed into yoofspeek there) a lot of us have asked them in the past. Asking questions that are already on the Forum is just lazy :hmm:

Timothy
22nd Mar 2004, 07:18
but people took it all with grim seriousness for about 92 pages.(1) That is totally unfair. I took the p1ss unremittingly for 92 pages :p

(2) If someone just wants to rant, and have no fear of anyone giving them serious or considered answers why don't they p1ss off to Jet Blast, where I, for one, can ignore them, and make this forum primarily about, well, Private Aviation, like it says on the can?

Timothy

FNG
22nd Mar 2004, 07:34
Timothy

(1) A fair point, and well made, all credit to you.

(2) Jet Blast sometimes appears to be an even weirder place than Pink Headsets. Safer to stay here trying to fly in descending circles whilst writing ranty comments on my map with both hands.

Evo
22nd Mar 2004, 07:36
The small-print on the can says

Many private pilots have an interest in commercial aviation and how they interact with it. This forum is for those pilots.

which probably rules many of us out. Apart from trying to avoid screwing up and getting a b*llocking for getting in the way of Nigel in his nice jet I've got no interest in how I interact with commercial aviation... :)

FNG
22nd Mar 2004, 07:49
My idea of interacting with commercial aviation is saying to the stewardess "Yes, I would love another Martini, thanks, and some more of those nice nibbly things would be pleasant", but it is very decent of the airline types to put up with us here, as otherwise we'd have to go and play in the Flyer forum, where we'd learn to regard questions such as "Will I crash if my kneeboard is not the same colour as my instructor's?" as representing the height of sophistication.

Hersham Boy
22nd Mar 2004, 08:11
I don't know about annoying... but this is certainly amusing.

I imagine I'll be shouted down if I mention that my blood now boils at the sight of that 'Pink Headsets' thread. No offence to the authors, but it just won't die!

The obligatory 'How many hours before you went solo?' title is a good mainstay - don't really mind re-reading this one as it always brings back those feelings of initial super-enthusiam...

And the 'What motorbike do you ride?' thread that frequently rears it's head in JB... guaranteed to end in a Harleys vs. Jap Plastic debate (sorry, chaps - it's got to be Jap Plastic).

Hersh

High Wing Drifter
22nd Mar 2004, 08:15
At least nobody says "at this time" repeatedly in their posts :E

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Mar 2004, 10:22
Many private pilots have an interest in commercial aviation and how they interact with it

Arguably a poor bit of labelling for this forum.

Speaking for myself, I earn my living designing, analysing, certifying and testing the sort of aeroplanes flown by PPLs - so I'm an aerospace professional with a strong interest PPLs and what they get up to. Many others in here are instructors - so professional pilots who also have a deep interest in PPLs and what they do with their aeroplanes.

Pprune is essentially an aviation professionals forum, mostly (but not exclusively) pilots. That covers a great many things - of which the biggest is undoubtedly commercial aviation, but far from the whole.

Arguably this shouldn't really be regarded as a "private flying" forum, it's a "light aviation" forum, since that's how we mostly treat it - and to good effect.

G

gingernut
22nd Mar 2004, 10:23
Sorry, couldn't resist !!

Does it matter ? Try sitting in my office hearing about people's sore throat's 40 times a day !!

gingernut
22nd Mar 2004, 11:22
Always worked for me. I'd hate to think that I, or anyone else, would be reluctant to post a question for fear of sounding stupid or repetative.

mad_jock
22nd Mar 2004, 11:50
Hersham Boy your not fecking joking with that one.

The number of times its nearly been deleted after a night out on the pop has reach fingers and toes.

But unfortunatly the thought of hit squads and the fact BRL has backed the fecker up has put payed to that idea.

It seems to be filling a niche with the student pilots apart from being a substitute husband for getting advice for her.

Must admit I don't look at it myself unless I get a moan from one of posters that I need to reply to something.

MJ

Actually BRL I would be more than happy if you locked the bugga after she passes her GFT. I don't think I could stand the follow on opera of IMC and night rating.

witchdoctor
22nd Mar 2004, 13:01
"Dr. Frankenstein I presume?"

Good one MJ! Better hope she doesn't find out.

:ok:

FNG
22nd Mar 2004, 13:46
The thread was not split into two. Gingernut, who is apparently a medic, and therefore vocationally devoted to increasing the sum of human happiness, jestingly started a second thread with the same title. The joke worked best when the two threads were parked next to one another on the page, but there has now been a merger (moderator intervention, gingernut, not hostile takeover), presumably in order to preserve precious space for Pink Headsets.

Pink_aviator
22nd Mar 2004, 13:52
MAD JOCK ,

Looks like I will have to put my own name to the

"PINKSTER STUDYING HER ATPL " thread ,
(then the lack of hits will finish it off )

Then your fingers will not be able to hover constantly over the DELETE key .

With any luck you will not have to see "pink headsets " after 19 days ,

ummmmmmmmp

THE PINK-AVIATOR
THE PINKSTER

Sorry to gate crash this thread , but it had to be said

Timothy
22nd Mar 2004, 18:33
Sorry to gate crash this thread , but it had to be said Are you sure about that? :}

Timothy

Pink_aviator
22nd Mar 2004, 18:42
Sorry I spoke univited ,
but I didn't realise my thread was tired and old and people hated me ,

but yes IT HAD TO BE SAID .

PINKSTER .

ERRRR SORRY AGAIN (FNG)

I will have it out with him on my thread .

PINKSTER

mad_jock
22nd Mar 2004, 19:07
its ok peeps i am discussing her trantrum on the other thread.

BTW its dead confusing the 2 threads merging like that.

Shall the second thread posters delete the posts. To be honest my next post on shagging grannies was going to get us sent to jet blast anyway.

MJ

Whirlybird
22nd Mar 2004, 19:33
Well, the how many hours to first solo thread is boring me silly, but at least it means the first solo stories are confined to one thread.

And sometimes I look at this forum and yawn, because just about everything seems to have been done to death before.

But probably all that proves is that in a few short years of flying I've become old and jaded...or that I spend too long on PPRuNe!

Seriously, folks, people have got a right to post anything they like. If I don't like it I won't read it. The only thing that really makes me mad is the threads with vague titles like "a question" because then I have to read it to find out what it's about.

Timothy
22nd Mar 2004, 20:03
The only thing that really makes me mad is the threads with vague titles like "a question" because then I have to read it to find out what it's about.I made this point ^up^there^somewhere^, but added that I didn't read it and didn't feel any sense of loss.

I don't think that PA should be made to feel bad about her thread. I haven't read it for a long time, but that doesn't mean that I think that it has no value for other people. It must be one of the longest and most read threads on PPRuNe, so there is clearly a demand.Shall the second thread posters delete the posts.OK, I've done mine!

Timothy

Capt. Manuvar
22nd Mar 2004, 20:31
So to interupt the bashing session but i'll like to speak on behalf of the 'bashed'.
Most of the people who've posted so far seem to be experienced/knowlegable when it comes to light aviation. Unfortunately while you might know the answers to 90% of the questions asked hear, the other 90% of us only know the answers to 10% of the questions. Unfortunately i thnk that a lot of people feel excluded on this forum, i sometimes do. When i went on my 1st solo, i was so happy i wanted to post the good news here, but afetr watching some poor chap get battered and butchered i was forced to keep it to myself.
What i hate about this thread isn't the stupid question of which there are many, it the tildragger-flying, anti-GPS, anti-atc, and professional, anti-uniform, anti-twinengine, short-grass-striponly, my way or the highway PPLs who think they know all. Most PPLs only have access to PA28s and cessnas, i don't think they shouldn't be excluded from 'the short field club'
capt. M (dons flak jacket)
BTW do any of u Gs no d LND $£ 4 a PA28 @ EGNX and EGTC?:} :ok:

mad_jock
22nd Mar 2004, 20:50
I agree with you Timothy about the PInk headset thread which is why I left it.

Also in that thread there are lots of high quality instructional posts which you wouldn't have seen in the normal forum, many I think because the regulars who are shall we say a bit more brisk with PPL training questions wouldn't have seen it. And the posters who did reply although not as experenced did so with alot of work and thought.

MJ

paulo
22nd Mar 2004, 21:42
I am thinking about learning to fly, but have been told that I cannot log P1/S during my GFT. If I learn in Florida, does this still apply if I just do an FAA license, and if not, what aircraft would you learn to fly in and what GPS is the best for that aircraft - assuming an average time before solo (what's yours?) Would you buy one or rent one or get a share, and how much do each of these cost, and where is the best place to fly from in the UK.

Hope you can help.

PS Can anyone recommend a headset? Going on and on about the only headset you know (your David Clark) should suffice.

PPS Anyone flying from White Waltham, recommend it heavily in spite of the golf club membership price and rubbish-tip smooth runways.

PPPS If you've never flown in the US, you can probably say with authority it's rubbish.

PPPPS Even the Daily Mail disagrees with Hi Viz vests. Don't even start.

PPPPPS Slag off Lydd. At least there's one thing we all agree on.

:rolleyes: :p :) :)

Timothy
22nd Mar 2004, 21:43
What i hate about this thread isn't the stupid question of which there are many, it the tildragger-flying, anti-GPS, anti-atc, and professional, anti-uniform, anti-twinengine, short-grass-striponly, my way or the highway PPLs who think they know all. Most PPLs only have access to PA28s and cessnas, i don't think they shouldn't be excluded from 'the short field club'Oh, you've met him have you? Don't take any notice of him . He is simply a frustrated, self-satisfied, arrogant git.

Timothy

Evo
23rd Mar 2004, 07:07
Whirly wrote

Well, the how many hours to first solo thread is boring me silly, but at least it means the first solo stories are confined to one thread.

And Capt. Manuvar replied

When i went on my 1st solo, i was so happy i wanted to post the good news here, but afetr watching some poor chap get battered and butchered i was forced to keep it to myself

I think it's a great shame if we've become fed up with first solo stories - and especially if we've reached the point where people don't post for fear of a flaming about it. I must admit that I haven't been reading the thread (I figured it was yet another one where people just posted 'I took x hours'), but when I went solo I posted about it here. We always used to get a good selection of first solo, QXC, skills test write-ups - you could probably follow my entire PPL from my posts here. Doesn't seem to happen much any more.

Maybe it's the experience level. When I started posting here it was about a 50-50 mix of students and PPLs. Now the experience level seems higher (we still have many of the same people, but the students are now PPLs - myself included - and we have a cadre of highly-experienced IFR folks). It's bl**dy poor if the regulars have just flamed the students into submission. There's a big difference between posting about going solo and not being bothered to search for previous threads on the GPS III...

ToryBoy
23rd Mar 2004, 08:02
Good point Evo and well presented!:)

FNG
23rd Mar 2004, 08:28
I agree. This thread is not about asking questions, or flaming newbies, or bashing spam can drivers. To the extent that it is anything other than a gentle invitation for us to wind ourselves up about the things that wind us up, it's an observation on the surprising unworldliness/naivete of certain themes. The internet is a marvellous research tool, but can encourage people to enquire as to the religious orientation of the Pope without doing even the most basic preliminary research first and, as I mentioned above, you can sometimes get the depressing impression that some people never talk to their instructors.

I am glad to hear that Pink Headsets is a serious "how to fly" instructional manual: on the couple of occasions when I visited it out of idle curiosity (hey, we've all been to Macdonalds, once) it seemed to be a somewhat odd but presumably harmless cross between an open therapy session and a cyber-dating club, but I must have called at the wrong time.

Back to the serious business of spam can bashing: don't worry, you guys, we luddites who insist on affrighting the populace in our dangerous and uncontrollable wood and glue contraptions feel just as oppressed by being repeatedly assured that you can't be a real pilot without a shiny bag so full of GPS instruction manuals that you have to recalculate the weight and balance on your glass-cockpitted retractable rocket ship everytime you rearrange the pens in the pocket of your crisply ironed flying shirt in strict colour sequence. I think I'll take up ballooning.

J.A.F.O.
23rd Mar 2004, 12:26
The fantastic thing about this forum is that if you are new to private flying (or have spent nearly twenty years away from it and now find yourself with a credit limit that allows re-admittance) you have somewhere to go to ask questions and learn from others.

That said, I do get a trifle annoyed at the questions that appear which could be answered very easily by searching Pprune or turning the bloody computer off and actually opening the shiny books that you bought when you started.

This is a tremendous resource for everyone to learn but some people should realise that there are other resources available too. Believe me if I, with a long time away and the memory of a goldfish, think that it's a Noddy question, then it must be a very Noddy question.

Rant complete, watch out for new topics by me asking, what I'm sure many will consider to be, Noddy questions.

Oh yeah, and the PINK thread is as dull as a big bag of dull things, but each to their own.

But you've got to admire 2189 replies and nearly 70,000 views of the thread. She must be doing something right.

ToryBoy
23rd Mar 2004, 12:50
I'm not sure she's doing something right but her persistent innuendo's certainly have a dedicated hoard of excitable followers!

LowNSlow
23rd Mar 2004, 13:36
Good point Evo I had a vague notion that there had been fewer 1st solo's etc announced, I hadn't realised that they are being posted on the ist solo thread. Durrr as my daughter would say :\

Capt. Manuvar I'm surprised you think of the Private Flying Forum as ' the short field club'. :confused: I would estimate that the number of people who operate out of established airfields far outweigh those of us who operate out of 'short strips'. I hope that nothing I've posted has caused anybody to think twice about posting a question.

Pink_aviator
23rd Mar 2004, 14:35
Innuendos,

I don't make innuendo's TORY BOYO .

I CANNOT REALLY SEE WHAT THE PROBLEM IS .

I thought the whole point of threads were that they HAD A TITLE so one could pick the TITLE that most interested them ,
and then read and enjoy .

DURRRRRR Why would any one read something that they didn't want to .?

I certinally wouldn't do any thing that I didn't want to do ,but them I am female ,

SO that exsplains it .

THE PINKSTER

oh YES
J A F O CAKES

How much did you read of " PINK HEAD SETS " TO COME TO YOUR dull CONCLUSION .
TEE HEE

Whirlybird
23rd Mar 2004, 17:08
Evo,

There's a world of difference between posting excitedly about your first solo, and adding to That Thread with a "I did it in 3.3 hours and it would have taken me less but..." Admittedly I didn't make that very clear; I was just back from holiday, hadn't had much sleep, and wasn't thinking clearly; sorry about that. Yes, posting about something you've achieved is absolutely fine; that's one of the things this forum is for, IMHO.

The Pink Headsets thread only appears to be a general irrelevant ramble. For those of us with too much time, who've been following it, it's actually a rather useful account of the trials and tribulations of trying to get a PPL, told very honestly, without the macho stiff-upper-lipness (if that's a word) that's so prevalent in aviation. It's a lot of other things too of course. But that's the main reason I like it.

AerBabe
23rd Mar 2004, 17:57
Maybe I'm just getting irritable in my old age, but "What's a PPL?" is a pretty blydi stupid thing to ask... isn't it? No, it's not obvious, but there are so many other ways to find out the answer. e.g. Google. :rolleyes: :mad: :\ :* :{

Polly Gnome
23rd Mar 2004, 20:58
Mad Jock, you deserve a medal - the Victoria Cross at least - for leaving the Pink Headsets thread in, especially in the early days.

Yes there is some good 'flying' stuff in it, that's why I read it, but there's a fair bit of other stuff to plough through too!

FNG
24th Mar 2004, 05:23
Aerbabe, when I saw that question (probably a wind up, like the "Are there any flying schools in Florida?" ones) I had to be physically restrained from donning my best Charlton Heston suit and replying "Soylent Green ...is...ppl"

Evo
24th Mar 2004, 06:54
To be slightly fair, the what's a PPL thread was moved here from "questions" and a Google search finds lots of stuff about Dolly the Sheep. OTOH, PPRuNe search works perfectly well so it still gets a 'must try harder' :)

AerBabe
24th Mar 2004, 07:24
If it was moved here from Questions it's even worse! The poster can't have bothered checking the forums to see whether s/he could find the answer without having to post.

As for Google, the 'expert' Googler would change the search from 'PPL' to 'PPL flying' ... which gives spot on results.

I'm going to be a miserable old sod if I grow up. :sad:

Timothy
24th Mar 2004, 23:18
For those of us who are "expert googlers" it is hard to understand that there are many out there who have not a clue about googling and how and why it works.

BRL
24th Mar 2004, 23:38
Well Tim there are so here is a little something to save my poor finger from wearing my mouse out and to keep my blood pressure down........... Google (http://www.google.co.uk) and the important one PPRuNe Search (http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?s=) :) :}

FNG
25th Mar 2004, 17:47
Did you know that Google is also available in a wide variety of languages including Latin, Lithuanian, and Elmer Fudd? Click on the language setting option should you wish to search in Welsh for prurient and/or useless information.

RodgerF
26th Mar 2004, 09:15
Any thread with a posting containing

'I use a trickle of power on landing' or words to that ilk.

Anything saying it's so unfair that IMC holders can't use their privileges abroad.

Debates whether VFR on top is legal in France.

Anyone quoting the minimum height rule in the IFR, obviously unaware of the exemptions in Rule 29.

Rant over

R

Saab Dastard
26th Mar 2004, 14:18
This thread is going to appear on SOOOO many searches on SOOOOO many topics!

:D

SD

ratsarrse
27th Mar 2004, 10:11
You're a lot of jaded, miserable old buggahs aren't you? If you use any forum for an extended period, especially one with a fairly narrow brief such as Private Flying, you will get repetition - that is the nature of the beast. Sure, it may well get tedious for the battle-hardened and embittered regulars, but there is a constant trickle of newcomers that will disagree. Have a search (yeah, you know, the search function) for some of your earliest posts here and see if you were any different to the people you are criticising when you were new kids on the block.

Let's hope that Private Flying doesn't become a battleground for the usual suspects arguing the toss over increasingly obscure topics, only pausing briefly to snap at those newcomers who have the temerity to interrupt such worthy debate with an innocent question or two.

Timothy
27th Mar 2004, 13:45
Because of the sudden interest in the pink thread, I have looked at it a couple of times last night and this morning.

It is ghastly isn't it?!?!

However, like Voltaire, I defend totally its right to exist.

Timothy

surely not
27th Mar 2004, 14:20
good post Ratsarrse, it is easy to become a curmudgeon and forget your own beginnings

Thirty06
27th Mar 2004, 16:46
Hmmm...

How about,

I have a PPL, but don't have much money. Would it be cheaper to build my own aeroplane ? Can anyone recomend a homebuilt that can be constructed for 5K, will fit in a garden shed, cruises at 200kts on 2GPH lands in 50ft and can be constructed on the dining room table by someone who has previously only constructed the Airfix Yak 9d (but didn't get round to painting it).

Or:

Why are helicopters\aeroplanes\microlights\gliders\seagulls so ^&^&%&ing irresponsible ? Last week I was beating up a housing estate at fifty feet and one of the aforementioned came within a mile of me. I would write to the CAA, but I'd rather rant on here to show what a fine pilot I am.

Or:

Honoured sirs, I am hoping pilot to become. I fourteen years old have and in my country next year my exams to take shall be. I hope much that you can tell me how it is to become pilot in United Kingdom and I most grateful shall have been when you render me great assistance by sending appropriate informations and possibly much finances.

The above generally appears on every forum simultaneaously and every other flying related bulletin board to boot.

I've nothing against some questions being asked more than once. 'How do I land this thing properly?' is bound to come up since pretty much everyone has been faced with this problem and It's nice for them to get the reassurance that they will improve (well probably, I'm still doing Zebedee impressions now and again).

SQUAWKIDENT
31st Mar 2004, 12:30
Why all these mentions of old flight sims?

Microshaft FS2004 has been in the shops since JULY 2003!

I have flown all types in it and am now quite sure I could fly a DC-3 in IFR hands off for hours..

Or a Curtiss Jenny..

bpilatus
31st May 2004, 17:45
Postings about "N" Regerstration aircrafts that make me :yuk: because they come up all of the times :rolleyes:

"Pink Handlebars" - now that is funny, NO? :cool:

Trislander
31st May 2004, 23:32
Oh, for goodness sake!

It's threads like this one that I find tedious/annoying, and when people go on about spelling all the time. Chill out!!:cool:

Think of this forum like a TV channel. There are some programs on BBC1 for example I woulden't watch.
Take that 'My Family' sitcom for example, It looks cr@p, but there are many other people across the land who probably really like it.
Just like I would never read a boring-looking thread in this forum - why complain, because there are probably some people out there who may find it interesting/useful.:8

And that would make this thread the equivilent of 'Points Of View' which funnily enough was axed years ago.;)

rustle
3rd Jun 2004, 18:20
It's threads like this one that I find tedious/annoying...

This is actually one of the funniest threads I have read in a long time on here...

From the sublime: Any thread with a posting containing

'I use a trickle of power on landing' or words to that ilk.

To the ridiculous: "Pink Handlebars" - now that is funny, NO?

Classic stuff, better than JB :)

THE RUSTLER

LowNSlow
17th Jul 2004, 06:27
I'm having a really boring day in work today, yes I KNOW it's Saturday, so I thought I'd trawl through some old threads and found this one.

I liked Trislanders comments so much I thought I'd bring it back to the top :E :E

TonyR
17th Jul 2004, 19:00
The "I hope to do some hour building in the US" gets me.

There must be more info on that subject here than anything else.

Flyin'Dutch'
17th Jul 2004, 19:07
Personal gripe:

'Does anyone the vision requirements for a Class 1'

:}

Especially as there is a sticky asking folks to do a quick search first.

When I am in a particular uncharitable mood I think that if folks can not read that request and do a search they are probably not the right stuff for the flight deck.

:E

FD

TonyR
18th Jul 2004, 14:21
...........and another GPS one

englishal
18th Jul 2004, 17:24
"diary of a....." :}

FNG
19th Jul 2004, 11:12
Having come back from the dead three times, this thread itself plainly qualifies, but so do threads about the PFA, about Sywell, and threads in which someone pops up, asks a question, then goes away forever. Remember a few weeks ago someone said that they had a legal dispute with their syndicate members? Three pages of speculative lawyering later, the guy still hadn't told us what the beef was, and was never heard of again.

Hang on a minute, I feel a conspiracy theory coming on. Maybe the syndicate members were so angry at his refusal to join the PFA and move to Sywell that they beat him to death with his own GPS (or bored him to death by making him read "toda i had a fling leson and it was wikid. we flew in a Sesna it was cewl. " online diaries). Now he is going to be poured into the foundations of the new runway.

TonyR
19th Jul 2004, 16:32
.................with his new headset still plugged in

Flyin'Dutch'
19th Jul 2004, 16:37
..............or they come back kicking and screaming, oh my gawd I am so hard done to. And you lot are all bad and wicked.

:}

FD

KCDW
19th Jul 2004, 17:23
It's not the threads that hurt, more the contributions from those who really can afford our lifestyle :(

Examples:

Thread Starter: I would like a cheap GPS for back up navigation just in case...

Moneypants: No brainer there - Garmin 296, what you waiting for?

Thread Starter: What good quality headsets for passengers should I get.

Moneypants: Only one worth getting, Bose ANR... (sorry BoseX)

Thread Starter: Looking for a 4 seat tourer, which can really take 4 adults and full fuel, but won't cost too much. Thinking on the lines of a 1975 Cessna 182.

Moneypants: Next time you're in Nice, come over and try out my Cirrus SR22 G2 - you won't look back...

Thread Starter: How many hours per year should I spend to keep current. My budget limits me to 24 hours per year.

Moneypants: Jeez... let me know when you are up next, so I don't go near your airspace. Accident waiting to happen you are. I think I'll write to the CAA. We are talking 300 hours absolute minimum. Personally, I do 1000 per year with checkrides every 3 days....

Threadstarter: I've just passed my PPL, what should I do next: hour build, night rating, IMC or taildraggers?

Moneypants: Don't muck about with that rubbish. 10 hours on a 757 simulator, followed by a Multi Crew Coordination Course for starters....

:)

moneypants
19th Jul 2004, 17:48
I just don't know what you mean?

Are there people out there who fly and can't afford it?

TonyR
19th Jul 2004, 17:56
The date for the North Weald get-together........., well thats another thing.

threadstarter
19th Jul 2004, 18:10
I would like a cheap GPS for back up navigation just in case...

bar shaker
19th Jul 2004, 19:58
LOL at TonyR :) I'm sure AB will be along soon to suitably castigate you.

KCDW that is one of the best posts I've ever read :D

MisNomer
19th Jul 2004, 20:33
I'm too scared now to ever post in this forum :{ :{

Ooops I just did :O

Now can I have some advice about headsets :E

MLS-12D
19th Jul 2004, 20:53
KCDW, great post! :D

BRL
19th Jul 2004, 21:31
Great post KC.

Now, MisN.....You want a headset, I am your man. Now I have to personally come and fit them for you etc, etc, etc, etc :)

TonyR
19th Jul 2004, 22:51
....................FUEL?......................

MLS-12D
20th Jul 2004, 19:56
One question that comes up from time to time (and really has no definitive answer) is "which is better, a 172 or PA28?" (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104223&highlight=cherokee+and+172).

Please refer all such enquiries here (http://www.airbum.com/articles/CherokeesVsSkyhawks.html).

TonyR
20th Jul 2004, 20:19
That is simple, the C172 is a crap aircraft that you can learn to fly well in, the PA28 is just a crap aircraft.

AerBabe
20th Jul 2004, 20:58
MLS-12D ... you sneaky devil! That's a trick question. You didn't specify 'better for what'. :}

MLS-12D
20th Jul 2004, 21:23
Tony, you're entitled to your opinion, but I think you're being too hard on these airplanes. Sure, both the 172 and PA28 are boring ... but they are also (relatively) economical and have undeniably excellent safety records. That's why they're so popular!

MLS

P.S. Please don't show this post to my wife, who would like nothing better than for us to purchase a C172. If I were a completely rational person, I would agree with her ... but of course, I'm not!

TonyR
20th Jul 2004, 21:41
MLS-12D

The words PPRuNE and serious comes to mind again.

To all Cessna 172 owners! If I was being honest with myself I would say this:- You are flying the safest and most practical aircraft ever made. If I was going touring with my family I would choose a 172 Reims Rocket or a 182. Its just that after hundreds of hours in Cessna singles, I just hate the sight and smell of them.

To all PA28 owners!

I would say your aircraft is still crap

Tony

PS. If you want a real aircraft buy a C185

MLS-12D
20th Jul 2004, 22:26
Tony, what specifically do you dislike about the PA28? I don't have much experience on the type, but it doesn't seem any worse than the stable-mable 172; and it least it has manual flaps (I don't like the single door, though).

TonyR
20th Jul 2004, 23:12
Do you remember the Morris Minor car from the 50s & 60s?

Find some one who ever owned one and they will describe a PA28.

My biggest gripe is that they don't teach pilots to fly, I have flown with a lot who learned in PA28s and they don't use their feet.

I never found them nice to fly, most are underpowered and the viz outside is not great.

I know people who love them, but I just can't think of one thing I like about them at all.

Tony

Snigs
21st Jul 2004, 06:34
The threads that really get me going are the Am I too old, do I have too many heads to learn to fly, and what should I do with my extra arm

Yours respectfully

Zaphod Beeblebrox the nothingth (aka Snigs)

Bird Strike
21st Jul 2004, 07:57
Thanks to the posters of this thread, I have just had 15 min of entertainment and choking on my cup of tea.

Oh I commit that "sin of repetition", and I do apologise! Now please don't hit me, but about that Bose X... ;)

FNG
21st Jul 2004, 08:04
Zaphod, I thought that Trillian did the flying whilst you did the acid flashbacks? Talking of that, is this whole thread perhaps just one enormous acid flashback? As for MLS's points, I agree that all threads posing the burning question "Should I fly an aeroplane that flies rubbish and looks worse or one that looks rubbish and flies worse?" should be consigned to the Naughty Step. Perhaps BRL could have an auto responder set up to say "I'm sorry, but you must have got me mixed up with the guy whom we hire to give a s*** about stuff. He is on vacation right now, please call later".

threadstarter
21st Jul 2004, 09:44
Just a quick question if I may.....

What good quality headsets for passengers should I get?

Thnx

Snigs
21st Jul 2004, 10:10
Here FNG, have a Pangalacticgargleblaster. I fly a lot straighter after a couple of those! (I never let Trillian anywhere near the controls, after all, she's a woman :rolleyes: )

AerBabe
21st Jul 2004, 10:34
Awww Snigsy, sweetheart ... are you afraid she might show you up? :}

Snigs
21st Jul 2004, 12:37
Ahhhh babe babe babe...... you know me :O I am perfectly willing to admit that women are better than men at a lot of things..... such as batting eyelashes, smiling sweetly, washing up, ironing :p Oh and airfield ops, of course.

MLS-12D
21st Jul 2004, 20:43
I have flown with a lot who learned in PA28s and they don't use their feetI'm with you on that.

SQUAWKIDENT
22nd Jul 2004, 16:06
quote:

"I have flown with a lot who learned in PA28s and they don't use their feet"

Maybe it was an automatic?

:O

Final 3 Greens
22nd Jul 2004, 20:31
PA28

I was always taught that you fly a type using the technique it requires.

If it has interconnected springs that co-ordinate the rudder and ailerons, then surely it is a matter for instructors to point this out to student pax and introduce exercises that devlop co-ordination accordingly.

If you look at the safety record of the PA28, it is pretty good, as is the 172.

Sure, neither type are Spitfires, but they get the job done efficiently and effectively and I am always happy to fly either, even though I'd prefer a Bulldog.

TonyR
22nd Jul 2004, 21:59
could someone help us out by saying something nice about a PA28

Aaaaaaah Groundschool.....:mad:

NinjaBill
22nd Jul 2004, 22:30
I can say one nice thing about the PA28...

If I have to put anything in the back of an aircraft that can fly upside down, its really upsetting that you cant fly upside down, as you get all the crap you dumped in the back hitting you on the head.

If you fly a pa28, then this isnt a problem, and you can dump as much rubbish in the back as you want

Ok, its not much in favour of the PA28, but then, they havent got much going for them

mstram
22nd Jul 2004, 23:34
>Which threads make you reach for your revolver?

>(apart from [a] this one and [b] that one that never, ever, ever goes away: you all know the one I mean)

Sorry, my mind reading skills aren't working today. ;)

What is the topic for the "[b]'" thread?

Mike
(bored and curious today :/ )

Final 3 Greens
23rd Jul 2004, 04:13
PA28s are available in a range of nice colour schemes ;)

Kolibear
23rd Jul 2004, 06:55
There are so many variants of PA-28 that you can keep a huddle of spotters busy for days trying to work out which one they've seen

FNG
23rd Jul 2004, 07:45
mstram: don't go there! That (not so) casual comment (and others which followed) led to a number of toys achieving separation from their prams and describing quite spectacular orbits overhead various parts of the British Isles. Note the ancient date of the comment you quote. Frankly, mate, you had to be there.

TonyR
24th Jul 2004, 10:42
MIdairs are back

I think they have taken over PPRuNe, so keep a good look out.

New directive, All aircraft must be painted PINK

Tony

FNG
24th Jul 2004, 10:55
Chortle. Tony, check yer PMs.

englishal
24th Jul 2004, 17:12
Thats another one that gets my goat.....

"check your PM's"

As if they wouldn't receive an email notification anyway ;)

TonyR
24th Jul 2004, 17:39
I don't get emails about my PMs.

The emails were more anoying than "check your PMs"

englishal
24th Jul 2004, 17:57
OK, fair comment I'll let you all off (I don't get many PM's :{ )

TonyR
24th Jul 2004, 18:32
englishal

check yer PMs.

Julian
24th Jul 2004, 18:38
Several....

"Where is the best bacon butty?"

"I went up on Sunday and burnts holes in the sky, landing exactly where I took off from"

"Where can I buy a flying jacket so I look the part?"

Give me strength....

englishal
25th Jul 2004, 09:06
ho ho :} ..................

TonyR
25th Jul 2004, 09:54
I am going to buy an "N" reg aircraft in either Naples or Orlando.

When I get My Students Visa I will do my skills test and write a full report.

I will return to the UK and sell shares in my "N" reg and I will then buy an UL motorglider, paint it pink and fly around the world in it with DHA keeping a good look out.

Now which type of transponder will I need?????

IO540
25th Jul 2004, 14:19
I haven't read this whole thread but I do wonder what motivates most of the people here to devote their time to writing.

The group of people that post here regularly is actually very small. At a guess, of the order of 0.01% to 0.03% of the UK valid PPL population.

Clearly some people here know each other and live locally to each other, so they have the option of posting here, or going to the pub together, but they prefer to chat via the internet.

There is also a lot of "old fashioned" people here who have entirely fixed views and there is no point in anyone trying to change them.

I think that perhaps the most worthwhile reason for posting here is the assumption that a lot of the people who merely read the articles (about who we know nothing, but we do know they outnumber the posters by maybe 10:1) might pick up something useful.

I wonder if they do. They need to be able to separate the rubbish from the good stuff, and that requires some knowledge of the subject to start with.

Looking at the subject from the Usenet perspective (which predates www hosted forums like this one by a lot of years), what tends to happen is that the people who know the subject and could contribute usefully, tend to bu**er off after about a year. Especially with a www hosted forum which is inherently far slower to browse through than a Usenet one. Not a lot of people with a "life" have the time.

TonyR
25th Jul 2004, 18:20
Clearly some people here know each other and live locally to each other, so they have the option of posting here, or going to the pub together, but they prefer to chat via the internet.

Some other people know each other but live 400 miles apart.

locksmith
7th Aug 2004, 10:02
I have been using this forum for a while now and I find it a useful place for a young PPL to get some information.

I do usually use the search facility first and recently have found far too many repeat threads.

Does anyone else bother to use the search?

This would save a lot of band width

Also many experienced forumites keep on repeating answers instead of telling people that this has gone before.

Where are the mods in all this. they were quick enough to condem FNG for his charity thread.

Why not just link a repeat thread to one of a similar theme.

Flying USA etc, how many more?

Ken

slim_slag
7th Aug 2004, 10:38
Oh jeez, why did you do that locksmith???

BRL
7th Aug 2004, 16:01
Hi Locksmith. A reply for you questions.......
I do usually use the search facility first and recently have found far too many repeat threads. It is you lot, the users of this forum who post these threads, you should be asking your fellow readers why they do this.........
Does anyone else bother to use the search?Too few actually. Repeat threads are there because not enough people use the search function. If they did, no repeat threads..!!
Bandwidth is not an issue at this moment.
Also many experienced forumites keep on repeating answers instead of telling people that this has gone before. Again, this is something you should be asking to the people who answer these questions. Quite a lot of questions have similar answers too them but may have the additional bit of info added recently for example.
Where are the mods in all this. they were quick enough to condem FNG for his charity thread. Clearly you didn't read why that thread was locked. It was because a few people complained about its being there. It wasn't 'the mods' who condemed FNG for that, it was some users of this forum. Enough said on that subject now, lets not get back into the ins-and-outs of that.
Why not just link a repeat thread to one of a similar theme.

Flying USA etc, how many more? Simply because as we all know, things constantly change in aviation, all the time there are rule changes etc especially flying in the USA.

Hope this has been an ok enough amswer for you, if you would like to discuss anything here then please PM me and I will be more than happy to contine answering any questions you may have.
Brl.

Holdposition
7th Aug 2004, 16:14
Hi Locksmith, you will no doubt observe your original posting has been tagged onto this thread and deleted from the forum as you had posted;) Begs the question why hey? maybe it's only free speech when it suits, do keep us upto date with your flying, cheers.

BRL
7th Aug 2004, 16:37
Having just returned from a 10 and a half hr shift at work I presume that Locksmiths thread was a topic on its own right earlier on this morning?.

rustle
7th Aug 2004, 16:39
Holdposition I think locksmith may have deleted his own thread and reinserted same/similar contents into this one after slim_slag pointed-out the irony of this thread's existence... (Check the time of the posts)

But don't let that stop the discussion about nepotism (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nepotism) all over again ;) :D :p

locksmith
7th Aug 2004, 18:14
Check your PM's please Ken. :)

Holdposition
7th Aug 2004, 18:34
rustle, it looks like that is what happened to locksmiths thread and if that the case I stand corrected.

Thankyou for your invite to discuss re other matters but I didn't post that for further debate, as clearly there is no need whatsoever.

RodgerF
18th Aug 2004, 15:51
Postings of the following type

A asks for suggestions for somewhere to fly to that meets some non-business criteria.

B posts saying 'Wonderfield-in-the-Wold' is great and you will enjoy visiting it.

Then comes the 'watch your speed on the approach, if flying a retractable make sure the wheels are down before you land, ensure the landing is as close to the threshold as possible, my aunt Jemima's cottage at the end of downwind for xx makes a great landmark for turning base, its the one with the hollyhocks.......'

Trislander
19th Aug 2004, 22:28
In the words of Alan Partridge: "This Country!"

i.e. Only the British can post so many repetitive moaning posts complaining about other people's repetitive posts.

If a post does not interest anyone it gets no replies and fairly quickly falls off the bottom of the thread list.

Some people post because they are excited, such as the above slated 'I went up on Sunday and burnts holes in the sky, landing exactly where I took off from'. Flying is exciting and someone might want to share their excitement with others who want to reply about the fun day's flying they've had too.

The title gives you some idea of what the thread is going to be about, so if it doesn't interest you and i quote "makes you lose your will to live" (how pathetic), then don't read it!

I agree with IO540.

Crikey.