PDA

View Full Version : Balpa Lose IT

Seriph
17th Mar 2004, 17:22
Balpa have apparently taken a major UK airline through a industrial tribunal defending one of their oficials who was dismissed. Allegedly said pilot was incapable of performing to standard in the sim despite a number of attempts and lots of extra training. The company was accused of victimisation, interference with the duties of a trade union official and unfair dismissal The process suposedly took18 months involving lots of expensive lawyers and a two week hearing. Balpa lost on all counts. The dismissed pilot is allegedly now worhing in Japan or Oz. Good to know where your subs are going.

exeng
17th Mar 2004, 17:55
Not quite sure which point you are trying to make.

I would comment that because BALPA lost the case on all counts does not mean that it wasn't a case worth fighting. The BALPA legal committee would not have approved the case unless they felt it was worthwhile

I'm pleased that a portion of my subs has been used to help a fellow Pilot fight what was believed to be unfair dismissal - that is just one of the reasons why membership of a union can be useful to all of us. I'm also sorry for the individual that the case failed, however I cannot comment on the fairness or otherwise of the decision as I am not in posession of all the facts.

Regards
Exeng

Sleeve Wing
17th Mar 2004, 19:35
"Don't make waves, Bloggs, or you'll fail your next Base Check !"

How many times has a CC Rep heard that ?
Enough pressure and you can break anybody on the Sim.
BALPA were right to have a try.

Sleeve. :E

Fuzzy112
17th Mar 2004, 19:38
Seriph,

Don't want to start yet another BALPA debate cos it has been done to death before but.........................

You can't seriously expect anyone to make a judgement about this using the information you have provided. I for one am glad that BALPA would take on a case like this. Victimisation can take many forms, including the use of the Sim to bully an individual. Guess you didn't think about that possibility but that sort of thing does go on. I'll assume you are nothing other than a typical BALPA basher but I can tell you this... BALPA has changed considerably over the last 18 months under the leadership of JM. It is now a much more pro active organisation. When the issue of Sky Marshalls arose recently I heard more from BALPA via the media in the space of two weeks than in the previous ten years. They are fighting some mega issues at the moment, ftl's, sky marshalls, pensions to name but a few. I know that I benefit from my 1% but thats probably because, unlike you, I am prepared to have a look at whats going on in the industry as a whole and not just on my own patch.

IcePack
17th Mar 2004, 19:48
UM!
I THINK the said chap was made a Training Captain during his training with his new outfit. Guess that's enough said:=

Max Angle
17th Mar 2004, 20:36
THINK the said chap was made a Training Captain during his training with his new outfit. Guess that's enough said Not always a good guide, more than a few cases of barely capable Captains becoming barely capable trainers over the years.

BoeingBoy
17th Mar 2004, 21:08
Seriph,

Funny who you bump into on the open forums!!

To put a little fact on the fiction here. Seriph is correct in that the company was cleared of victimization and interferance of a union offical.

He is not quite correct in that the tribunal found for the pilot on the fact that as the company had no clause in its contract to allow a direct entry captain to be demoted then he was technically wrongfully dismissed.

Compensation for the latter is currently under negotiation until mid April.

I hope that clears that up for all concerned.

BB:)

Seriph
18th Mar 2004, 06:00
Technically but not unfairly BB, clutching at straws I feel.

Slim20
18th Mar 2004, 10:30
Isn't this thread a bit like "Sky fail to sell satellite dish in West Croydon?" nyaaah nyaah nyaah!

Bet Balpa win a lot more than they lose; I bet most of the really dodgy ones don't even get to court.

I am pleased my fees pay for this kind of legal protection. Don't know anyone else I could get to go out on a limb for 18 months paying my legal fees in the name of good ol' fashioned principles.

Cruise Alt
18th Mar 2004, 15:11
Congratulations to BALPA for fighting for a member.

I might forgive them now for that disgraceful pension glossy that only lasted in my hands between doormat and bin long enough for the shock and disbelief to wear off.

Might keep up my membership now.

Carruthers
18th Mar 2004, 17:07
Absolutely correct Cruise Alt, the purpose of a trade union is, after all, the defence of it’s members right or wrong, especially it’s officials. A professional association would be more concerned with the maintenance of standards and the protection of the general public. But such bodies are of course for professionals.

18th Mar 2004, 22:21
Carruthers , have you had your tablet today ?
Your post makes no sense at all .

airdo
18th Mar 2004, 23:23
ICEPACK

“ITHINK the said chap was made a Training Captain during his training with his new outfit. Guess that's enough said”

Fact or fiction? This guy was NOT made a trainer and I heard that he was already working for his new company whilst still employed but on the sick from the company who allegedly treated him sooooooo badly! Now I hear he is off sick with the new one – or is he ‘doubly’ employed again!!

Carruthers
19th Mar 2004, 06:07
Pretty obvious I would have thought 411, trade unions that behave like balpa are for tradesmen. Professionals don’t behave like this gentleman.

A and C
19th Mar 2004, 06:55
Do you work for Imperial Airways ?.

19th Mar 2004, 22:22
Dearest Carruthers,
Obvious to you , but your reply does show your view more clearly.
It would take both sides to behave like gentleman, and i'm afraid in the 21st century , this is not the reality. This is business, purley and simply . Each part has its duty to whoever( shareholders, board, pilots) and whilst your ideal is commendable, it is from an era long ago.