PDA

View Full Version : Flying on skis & Antarctica

I'm gone!
3rd Feb 2004, 22:09
Gday all,

I am interested in hearing from anyone who has experience on skis, particularly in aircraft over 5700kgs/12500lbs. Any tips on skis regardless of size will be much appreciated.

Also anyone who has experience in Antarctica.

I am looking into a position for the coming Antarctic summer and would like to get some info so that I can get better idea of what will be required of me.

Thanks in advance:ok:

Cheers,

I'm gone!

Mostly Harmless
3rd Feb 2004, 23:53
I have no personal experience with skis, but Kenn Borek Air is the company to talk too. They have a contingent of twin otters in Antarctica every year.

I'm gone!
4th Feb 2004, 06:37
Harmless,

Thanks for your reply mate. Can you tell me where I can contact Kenn Borek? Where are they based?
Im in Australia at the moment.

Thanks again.
Cheers,

I'm gone!

Mostly Harmless
5th Feb 2004, 00:43
Here's their web address, they have aircraft around the globe but the head office is in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

http://www.borekair.com/

You could also try this company, they also have twin otters on skis. All northern Canada though.

http://www.airtindi.com/

I hope that they will be able to offer some helpfull advise for you.

Also, try this site www.avcanada.ca there is bound to be someone on there that has flown skis.

I'm gone!
5th Feb 2004, 19:21
Harmless,

Maybe you should go by "Most Helpful".

Good onya mate. thanks!

Cheers,
I'm gone!:ok:

29chev
6th Feb 2004, 07:29
Mostly Harmless,
Is your name a ref. to the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy Books? If so "your one frood who really knows where his towel is"

Mostly Harmless
8th Feb 2004, 01:07
There is a theory which states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory that this has already happened.

Indeed it is a reference to the Hitcher's, thanks.

29chev
8th Feb 2004, 14:20
Well said, I think I'll go digging in the back of my closet for some books I haven't read in a while!

So long and thanks for all the fish!

GGCC
8th Feb 2004, 22:39
Hello I'm gone!

"Any tips on skis regardless of size will be much appreciated."

I know this may not be real helpfull but i have flown on skis, (Citabria, a taildragger)

Skis are fun and landing on snow is forgiving, now ice is a different matter :)

I found that in taxing you have to "push" the aircraft around, bursts of power and lots of creative rudder.

An instructor told me they used to keep a rope permantly attached to the tail wheel so the "ground crew" could help them manuver on the ground.........could be a hangar flying tale :)

You have to be carefull that after landing and coming to a park, that the skis dont "freeze" in, i think they get warm thru friction on landing.............

I always paid special attention to the ski fittings during preflight

I'm gone!
9th Feb 2004, 11:28
Gday,

GGCC thanks very much:ok:

Cheers,
I'm gone!

Mostly Harmless
10th Feb 2004, 11:51
29chev, have a PanGalactic GargleBlaster and enjoy.

I'm gone! Did you manage to find some help?

I'm gone!
10th Feb 2004, 19:07
Gday,

MH,

It is proving a little difficult via the web and email. I may have to make a few middle of the night(time zones etc) phone calls. I am a little reluctant to phone Borek Air as I think the company I am looking to go and work for may have just pushed Borek Air out of one of their Antarctic jobs. They do seem like one of the biggest and most experienced in this area though.

Thanks in advance to anyone else who has any tips.

Cheers,
I'm gone!

Mostly Harmless
11th Feb 2004, 04:28
Sorry I can't be of more help, all my time is on wheels. Try the www.avcanada.ca forum. Some less than nice people on there, but lots of experince too.

I'm gone!
11th Feb 2004, 15:33
Cheers mate,

I'm gone!