PDA

View Full Version : Canada: Training & Employment prospects

Pages : [1] 2

hawkeye9277
11th Jan 1999, 01:22
UK military rotary pilot would appreciate assistance/advice on best way to obtain licence for relocation and employment as helicopter pilot in Canada. currently have about 3000 hours but no licence of any category.

Hover
11th Jan 1999, 20:12
MaxNr is the man to talk to. There are IFR medevac positions available in Canada, and there never seems to be enough IFR guys to go around, especially if you don't mind sitting co-joe for a spell. If you have the hours, moving up is generally quick. You can probally make better money in the bush but the work is generally cyclic, and if you have a military background, IFR is the way to go, and your past experience will be most appreciated in this enviroment. Good luck.

MaxNr
12th Jan 1999, 04:53
Hi Hawkeye9277,
I`m an ex-RN pilot and moved to Canada about 2 years ago and loving it...The path to moving over here is quite long and twisty, however, drop me an e-mail and I`ll gladly help as best I can....you won`t regret the move, I promise!!!
[email protected]

Countdown
3rd Dec 2000, 01:22
What are the prospects of being employed as a UK pilot in Canada.Feedback please.

tech
3rd Dec 2000, 08:27
Countdown: Employment in Canada should be quite easy providing that you have a minimum
of 1000 hours for VFR work / or alternatively 500 hours and an IFR with the ATP exams written, and of course convert your licences to Canadian. I have worked with pilots who have come from vertually every-where and they have not had a problem with immigration. It's to bad that Europe wasn't as free towards Canadians,
Best of Luck.

paco
3rd Dec 2000, 08:56
It's certainly a lot easier than it used to be (I know one who lives in France and works here), but be aware that the industry is highly seasonal - contractors tend to get hired between the end of May and the beginning of October, depending on the work and the company, plus the heliskiing season.

In general, if you go to the West, you need a mountain course, if you go to the East, you need an IR (though this requirement is not so strict), and you have to make it as easy as possible for the employers because they are lazy buggers - they expect you to have every rating on your licence that they will possibly need for the next five years, i.e. they do almost no work at all! 206 is good, AStar is better if you can do it. I have found that virtually no sponsorship is offered, even if they are desperate - Canadian, I know, need some IR rated guys, in the east at any rate.

I can see their point to a certain extent, as pilots move on very quickly, especially after getting a lot of training under their belt. If any type ratings are offered, the younger guys get them in lieu of wages or prospects.

You really do need to get around and meet people - I know it's a big place, but sending resumes is no good at all, since they tend to read them only when you turn up and force them to anyway.

Still, not to be too pessimistic - if you can stand the management, the guys you work with are the best and you will end up as a better pilot after time over here.

cheers

phil

offshoreigor
3rd Dec 2000, 18:39
Countdown;

I know we have not always seen eye to eye on topics, but this is one subject I am intimately familiar with. I also don't like seeing advice from bitter or inexperienced people taken as the gospel (re:Paco).

If I am correct in my estimate of your background, you are a mid to high time Offshore Captain with more than just a little experience. If this is so, then you are definately suited for Canadian employment.

Although the previous reply refers to 206 or A-Star, although useful for seasonal employment with a limited income, definately not condusive to a solid retirement plan.

If you have S-61 or Puma, there is a requirement in Halifax, Nova Scotia for crews on the offshore projects there. If you have S-76 or BH 212, there are ample opportunities overseas with CHC International.

If you are ultimately looking to emigrate to Canada, then Halifax would be a good bet. The salary ranges from $60-75K (CAD) I know that seems much lower than the North Sea rate, but the cost of living is much lower and if you have saved up some of those North Sea bucks, then you would definately have a fairly easy go of it over here. We have employed several UK Pilots (RN and North Sea) and they have had no complaints.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 03 December 2000).]

Countdown
3rd Dec 2000, 18:58
I am most appreciative of your responses guys and will take it onboard and mull it over.I see from the immigration side that you have to have capital is this true or can you get round this.

offshoreigor
4th Dec 2000, 03:49
Countdown;

If you have a sponsor, then the capital resources are not required. If you are going it alone, you must show proof of the resources to return from whence you came, ie, a return ticket home.

You can get all the immigration info from External Affairs Canada, either on the web or through the Canadian Embassy in London, (or consulate in Edinburgh).

I think Canada is still very receptive to UK citizens immigrating.

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 03 December 2000).]

Thomas coupling
4th Dec 2000, 21:32
Be advised, to make sure the immigration dept know you are serious, they will charge you a non refundable fee of about £300 (ish). 'Cos every tom dick and harry wants to live over there, initially, but change their minds when they don't have anything to offer, thus overloading the imm' dept!

You won't meet nicer people.....

------------------
TC

Countdown
5th Dec 2000, 02:44
Offshoreigor, 4rvibes,and the ones i havnt mentioned
guys thanks for your help any other info would be much appreciated, but to the two I have mentioned by names my bark is much worse than my bite .
Keep up the good work.
Cheers and fly safely.

paco
8th Dec 2000, 06:36
Hmm, dunno about bitter and experienced, but we are obviously on two completely different sides of the industry (i.e. muddy boots or wet feet) with different rules.

I think you'll find my comments are quite valid, though.

It was only recently, BTW, that pilots were added to the list of desired occupations, or rather, the classifications were virtually done away with, once the government realised there were not enough people paying taxes.

One tip I can pass on about immigration is that the process itself is part of the test (just like the British pilot exams), in that they expect to see some commitment on your part, so don't get discouraged!

Phil

Lu Zuckerman
13th Dec 2000, 23:16
To: Countdown

Much has been said about emmigrating to Canada including fees and having necessary funds and a return ticket. I don't know if you are seeking citizenship, landed immigrant status or, permanent resident status. I can't speak for the first two but I can for the third option.

I am a US Citizen seeking Permanent resident status. My Canadian wife and I started the procedure three years ago and so far it has cost us over $10,000 CDN and I am no closer now than I was a year ago. It is possible to handle all of the paper work yourself but we chose to go through an Immigration Consultant. Give this a great deal of thought.

------------------
The Cat

[This message has been edited by Lu Zuckerman (edited 14 December 2000).]

Hogfather
18th Dec 2000, 00:39
To Countdown.

I have just completed the immigration process. It takes about 2 to 3 months to gather all the information you require to submit the application depending on how many joobs you have had and places you have lived in since you were 18. After I submitted the application it took only 5 weeks.

There are a lot of hidden exspenses such as medicals, police certificates and authentication of your qualifications etc. It has cost me around £1000 so far. It was cheaper for me since my family are all Canadian. You can expect to pay the same for each dependant.

They seem to have dropped the Official Job List now and it is mainly based on your educational/qualification level. Age is also important. Over 45 then forget it unless you are loaded.

There is no real need to use an agent to help you complete the immigration proceedure. It is fairly straight forward if not time consuming. Check out the immigration web sight at www.canada.org.uk/visa-info

I found that very few companies even bothered to reply to my lettesr etc until I could confirm I had a visa.

Dougie Reid
29th Dec 2000, 16:06
Currently resident in the uk, (ex-military) and looking at the possibilities of gaining employment across the pond. Can anybody who has already been thru the mill give me a 1-10 difficulty rating and/or any Top Tips on the ease of getting in on the flying act ovet there...
I hold a UKCPL(H), Frozen ATPL(H) and have hours totalling 1200 (inc 1000TT/250PIC). Any info would be most appreciated. Happy 2001 to all that I know, Yours Aye, Dougie

[This message has been edited by Dougie Reid (edited 29 December 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dougie Reid (edited 29 December 2000).]

hover lover
31st Dec 2000, 05:17
Hello There,
Your query about what kind of hoops you need to jump through + what kind of paperwork you need to have in order to work in North America has been answered several times. Actually your query almost rates as a FAQ.
I don't know if you are looking for opportunities in Canada or the USA.
Warning: be prepared for some rude messages from regular posters to the board. Some guys will help you out, while some guys will tell you to stay home. Best of Luck to You!!

Randy_g
1st Jan 2001, 12:53
Dougie, first you will need to convert your licence to a Cdn one. To find the info on converting your licence try:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/CARS/html_e/doc/index.htm

This site is where the Cdn. air regs live online.

You will then need to get a work visa. For info on that go to the Cdn immgration website:

http://www.cic.gc.ca

If you are looking for ifr type work, and
I'll assume you have multi-ifr time, my recommendation would be to talk to someone like offshoreigor (he hangs out in here) for some contacts at CHC International. They are world-wide and would be good to try first.

If you're looking for vfr work, you can find any kind of challenge you are looking for. The work can be seasonal, and based on the forestry, and resource sectors. With 1000+ hrs. you shouldn't have too many problems finding work; after you get your visa, and licence stuff straightened out.

Oh btw, if you can, try to time your arrival in early spring. (late feb, or early march)

Cheers, and good luck !! :)

Randy_G

If you can't stand the heat...

then turn up the air conditioner !!! :)

[This message has been edited by Randy_g (edited 01 January 2001).]

MightyGem
1st Jan 2001, 20:21
Dougie, if, as I think, you are ex 653 you may know Phil (Taff) Howarth. If you can get a contact for him from anyone, he emigrated to Canada in 2000.

Regards Dave

paco
3rd Jan 2001, 00:53
Hi Dougie- If you email me I can give you Phil Haworth's Number - he lives round the corner from me in Alberta. I can also pass on a couple of tips about getting in.

Cheers & HNY

Phil Croucher
www.electrocution.com (http://www.electrocution.com)

(ex Beaver/651 Sqn)

Cadfael
5th Jan 2001, 02:54
If it is of any help. The requirements to get the Canadian CPL (I hold UK ATP, Oz ATP etc)was to 1. Sit ALL the exams again at TC's office in downtown Hong-Couver 2. Flight test with approved examiner at local flight school. 3. New medical. 4. Audiogram.

TC only recognised helicopter types flown in last 12 months. For ATP(H) 2 additional exams were required. Talk to heli-college in Langley or someone similar to get the latest prices Hope this helps some.

collective bias
25th Jan 2001, 00:53
looking for info about getting to stay with our commonwealth cousins in the north for a few years. Information on employers, lawyers used and others experiences with acquiring permanent residency, wages and conditions etc, etc.
Have own igloo, anorak, snow mobile, sleigh and hate Robin William's and Southpark.....
Love snow, altitude and vertical reference work.

Lu Zuckerman
25th Jan 2001, 07:02
To: collective bias

First of all don't get a lawyer or an immigration agent. Second, get the permenant resident package forms from the Canadian Embassy in NZ or OZ and do most of the paperwork yourself. Get a prescribed physical by a doctor approved by Canadian Immigration and get the necessary police reports if they are required.

I am an American living in Canada and we have been working with an Immigration Agent for three years and it has cost us over $10,000 CDN and I don't expect to see approval for at least two more months.

Good luck

------------------
The Cat

tech
25th Jan 2001, 08:25
Hey Collective Bias.
I'm presumming by your call sign that you are a 76 driver. CHC ( Canadian Helicopters Eastern) is looking for 76 pilots. Contact
chief pilot Dave McCutheon @ : [email protected] or call 450-452-3920 . He will be out of town from the 28Jan to about the 6th of February.

What's an Anorak, we use Parkas.

best regards.

tech
25th Jan 2001, 08:43
Correction on the Telephone # :450-452-3020
or 514-891-2728

tech

collective bias
25th Jan 2001, 15:50
thanks Lu and tech...
advice + direction greatly appreciated...
p.s - Lu, I have been talking to a guy Nigel Thompson (lawyer) [email protected]. He (in the past) got an aussie without uni. degree into vancouver in 8 months ... true story.
Hope it helps

throttlejockey
26th Jan 2001, 18:37
Seems like a lot of guys are interested in Canada. Here are my details of leaving England to work in Canada. Firstly you do not need a lawyer, go up to the Canadian embassy or phone and they will give you all the paperwork you will require, your entry is based on a points system, i.e. age, level of qualifications, laungages spoken etc. You must meet a minimum number of points and they provide a chart to work this out. If you meet the points you will need to fill in the paperwork extremly carefully, any mistakes and they will throw it back to you. You will need to provide all work details and police letters stating that you do not have a criminal record. When i applied helicopter pilots were listed as required and i think qualified for fifteen points, you will need to check this. Now, on your application form it states that only a job approved by employment Canada will be take into consideration when granting permanent residency, THIS IS NOT TRUE, I went to Canada converted my licence phoned round and secured a job!! I asked for a letter from the company to state that they would give me a job as soon as my residency was approved. You must apply from your own country, so I returned to the U.K. put the letter in with my application. 11 months later my perminant residency papers came through, and the company that promised me a job was listed as my sponser into Canada on my papers. You must land in Canada before your medical expires, usually 12 months, then you are aloud to leave for a maximum of 6 months before finally settling down. Just a quick note on work, I went to B.C. the guys who fly there in the mountains are by far the finest mountains pilots in the world and Canadians are very friendly folks eehhh !! Hope this is of some help, please fell free to email me if you need any more info
cheers and good luck.

offshoreigor
27th Jan 2001, 07:24
Collective Bias:

Send me an e-mail and we'll talk about some options you may have, especially if you have S76 or 212.

PS. If you have a sponsor and Job to go to, you will not see the long waits described by some others above. We have had several pilots, UK, Oz, NZ etc. given permanent residance in no time. What it boils down to is, if you have a Skill your in, if not, your in for a long wait.

[This message has been edited by offshoreigor (edited 27 January 2001).]

collective bias
30th Jan 2001, 01:36
Excellent info, E-mail to get further valuable information. This bloke has done it and has the scars to prove it...

almost canadian
31st Jan 2001, 01:33
Actually working in Canada can be even easier.The trick is to get a student visa, which normally takes about 4 to 6 weeks. This allows you to enter Canada and study at the flightschool specified in your visa.
If you already have a non-canadian plot's licence, it will only take a few months to get the canadian one. Starting from zero will take you 6 months to a year.
And now the good stuff. After receiving your pilot's licence or 'graduating' you can apply for a work permit which is valid for one year. To do this you'll need a joboffer letter from a company (the one you studied at should be able to provide that one) and take this and your pilot's licence and go to the US border, you just cross the border to the states and turn right back. Doing this enables you to apply from outside Canada. When you get back at the Canadian border (10mins later) you apply for your work permit showing them when you received your licence and the joboffer letter, the Immigration Officers should be aware about this rule. I myself used this procedure at the Slt. St. Marie border and a friend of mine in Buffalo.
After paying 150CDN you get your visa an can start working for the company specified in your visa.
Now you have one year to get your permanent residence status done after which there are no problems to work in Canada.
This procedure allows you to stay in Canada and there is no need to travel back home and wait for a year to get your documents done.
Before I forget, you have 60 days after 'graduation' to use this procedure.
This procedure was put in place after lots of complaints of students coming over to Canada spending lots of money on a licence and then being send home unable to work.
For any more info contact me via this forum and I'll get back to you,
no doot aboot it eh

almost canadian
31st Jan 2001, 01:55
hello,
I replied to a similar thread in this forum under Canadian Immigration, have a look at it, any more questions contact me in here and I'll get back to you asap
no doot aboot it
eh

collective bias
1st Feb 2001, 11:51
hello 'almost canadian'
real keen to discuss your experiences please e-mail your address to: [email protected]
regards...

throttlejockey
2nd Feb 2001, 17:44
Sorry Guys,
I left out the fact that my info is 5/6 years old, almost Canadians info sounds up to date and a far better way to go, cheaper and quicker. Just one point converting your licence should not take long. Good luck
Throttlejockey

Robsibk
6th Feb 2001, 23:28
Hi There!!!
I have a Canadian Comercial Helicopter licence.After completing my licence I went back to Austria ,and applied for a work permit.The answear was that without a job ofert no work visa,so I applied for permanent residence and this is also not the easiest thing,you will have to go trough a hell of paper work and pay 500 can$ without getting the money back if you are not selected.On my application my pilot licence was almost ignored because the ETF is 15 points but the
ocupational factor is 1 point.
I have been refused for permanent residence in Canada.
I would like to know more about the work permit for one year.Please e-mail to :
[email protected]

Thank's in advance
Roberto

almost canadian
7th Feb 2001, 01:31
check your e-mail Roberto,
if any more questions, let me know

What-ho Squiffy!
22nd Mar 2001, 09:52
Hello. I'm thinking of leaving Australia for different pastures, and was wondering if there were any Canadians in here who could give me a quick run-down on:

(a)Getting a work visa,
(b)Conversion exams etc, and
(c)Job prospects for a turbine job.

I have done some investigation over the web, but it is not the same as finding out from someone on the ground.

Thanks! S.

Out of Balance
22nd Mar 2001, 11:37
See 'Flying in Canada' topic on 29th December 2000 and similar topics last December. Website for info on Australian migration to Canada is:

www.dfait-maeci-gc.ca/australia/ (http://www.dfait-maeci-gc.ca/australia/)

[This message has been edited by Out of Balance (edited 22 March 2001).]

What-ho Squiffy!
22nd Mar 2001, 12:51
Thanks O.O.B. I could have guessed there would have been a zillion threads on this before, but it's hard to find them.

BTW, that link didn't work for me.

What-ho Squiffy!
22nd Mar 2001, 13:31
Got the link sorted. dfait-maeci.gc.ca

Thanks. S

NeilB
3rd Jul 2001, 11:44
Well hopefully my headlines attracted some replies as it doesn't seem that many people want to help newly qualified helicopter pilots like myself at the mo but here goes. I'm coming out to Canada in a couple of weeks time to go and knock on a few doors to look for work. I'm looking to start in Vancouver and then work my way around until some one gives me a job!!! I've got a NZ CPL(H) with 152 tt with a Hughes 500 rating and AS350B time. I'm 33, fit eager and have experience in ground crewing as well as 12 yrs experience in Broking (could be helpful in an office?) Any way any advice leads etc much appreciated. Cheers

Copter Cody
3rd Jul 2001, 19:14
I have some advice

Look into long-line operations. Its the best pay for choppers and its great working conditions. The US is looking for a few good men, pilots.

Cody

Pac Rotors
7th Jul 2001, 05:46
Neil

I would forget Codys post about getting a long line job, without being disrespectful to him he is dreaming. I am just on my way home from visiting a number of operators here in BC and I dont like your chances of getting anything with that amount of time.

You might be lucky and get a hangar rat job and get to ferry some aircraft from time to time but thats about all. Longline here in Canada is very very different to what you would have seen back home, I am from Auckland, and it is a big culture shock.

However I wish you luck but check into getting a Canadian licence as well and dont forget work permits as Immigration is tough on that.

Pac Rotors.

Copter Cody
7th Jul 2001, 09:23
Pac Rotors

That may be parcialy true BUT.......the pay will never match up and being a long line operator will keep you working, there are more applications and more versitility. Its your choice bud.

Cody

ditchy
7th Jul 2001, 10:30
NeilB,
you are going to find it very hard to get a start with that resume.I can tell you that most if not all the companies in Vancouver will not want to see you and will have insurance policies which exclude you anyway.Proximity of mountains, coastal weather and overall knowledge required to operate to the standards expected of helicopter crew in BC is their excuse.
My suggestion is that you don't waste a day in the mountainous areas and head straight out to the flatlands.There are companies in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the territories who have 500/206 aircraft and relatively low requirements for crew. The reason they have low requirements is that they don't want to pay you much and will work you hard, so you go there knowing that and also knowing that all parties understand you are there long enough to get the time to get a reasonable deal. Most people do a season or at the most two with these companies then move on.
If you do get on, don't expect good pay, conditions, equipment or fair treatment. Everyone will know who these companies are so it won't be hard to find out who they are. It will cost you to get around to see all these people, but its the only way. Phoning faxing is a waste of time. They'll want to see your face and chat. Might even be worth buying a van, living in it and driving until you get something.
Good luck.

Mark Six
7th Jul 2001, 19:00
NeilB- good luck and stay motivated. It sounds as though you have the right attitude. Pac Rotors and Ditchy offer realistic advice. Cody, Pac Rotors is right-you are dreaming. If you don't believe me post your comments in the Just Helicopters forum and see what reaction you get. Pac, thanks for the Lama slide (saves me sending you an email).

Copter Cody
7th Jul 2001, 22:07
I am not dreamin. I have realitives that are making 170,000- 200,000 in long line operations, granted they do have a few more hours. If you don't believe me contact the head of PHI or Columbia Helicopters and ask them what there money-making field, my cousin is one of the CEO's of Columbia, which is a very respectable company. They use Ch 47's for their ops. If thats dreaming then I guess im a dreamer. But you have got to admit that you cannot beat the versitility of long-line, other pilots will starve when others are still flying.

Cody

Mark Six
8th Jul 2001, 03:58
Cody, no one disputes that you can make good money as a long line pilot, but you are dreaming if you think it is good advice to tell someone with 152 hours tt to look for long line jobs. That's like telling someone who just got their driver's licence to look for a job as an F1 driver because it pays well. Yes the people you are taking about will have a few more hours- about 5000 to 10000 more. I admire your enthusiasm but get some experience in the industry before you start dispensing advice.

Copter Cody
8th Jul 2001, 07:34
Mark,
What you say is true but the man was looking for a job in an industry that could make good money. I told him that the best place to be is long line. By all means i didn't tell him that it would be posible right away. I guess that I need to be more specific perhaps?? Just trying to help a man in need. Thats why I told him to check out things at justhelos. Read more carefully

Cody

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: Copter Cody ]

Pac Rotors
8th Jul 2001, 07:45
Cody

As mentioned above not trying to have a shot at you, just saying that it was vitually impossible to get long line work with that sort of time.

All the guys I flew with during my recent visit over there who were flying longline were in excess of 5000 hrs plus. In fact the forestry companies are setting the minimums, not the operators. One of the 214B operations I spent some time with have to have a co-pilot for safety reasons and all he does is sit there and monitor the dials and provide look out etc (not saying it isnt important, just thatv he doesnt get to fly unless its a ferry flight).

This requirement is a logging company requirement combined with the insurance agency so things are tough in the long line world. However knocking on every door is always a positive outlook.

Quick example I was at Black Tusk in Squamish for two days and they got ten resumes in the mail over those two days, some with a couple of thousand hours. Hope that explains it.

Regards

Pac Rotors :cool:

Copter Cody
8th Jul 2001, 08:00
Pac Rotors,

I totally understand. I was just trying to help out a fellow chopper pilot. Im not trying to take affence either. This got blown way out of perportion. I hope that you accept my appologies.

Cody

sling load
9th Jul 2001, 09:01
Copter Cody,
As i understand in one of your other posts, you have not left high school, and want to start flying helos when you leave. Good luck to you. However, to say you are trying to help a fellow chopper pilot is misleading, wouldn't you agree?

I agree with Pac Rotors, and others, you have absolutely no idea about the helicopter industry and how it is driven by insurance costs. Long Lining is one of the most demanding and dangerous jobs a helo pilot can have, their pay does reflect that, but so it should, they are production pilots. Production pilots make money by high production, there is very little room for low time people, and by low time I mean low logging time. Don't pretend to be someone you're not. Hope your relative at Columbia can get you a job, by the way, you need a spellchecker.

[ 09 July 2001: Message edited by: sling load ]

IHL
9th Jul 2001, 09:15
NEILB.
Helijet Airways had a posting looking for ramp attendants, it's not a flying job but it could lead to one.Other than that you sort of missed the season in Canada, It is best to look for work in March and April by now most small companies have their crews.An IR might also help you land an F/O job with an IFR operator.

HeloTeacher
9th Jul 2001, 17:11
The Instrument Rating is a little too early. 250 hrs TT in helis are required in Canada in order to be endorsed on a multi-crew aircraft unless things have changed. It is also rare to get a co-jo job with less than 500 hrs. Few captains want to be teaching as well as running the trip.

IHL
10th Jul 2001, 13:23
Helo Teacher you are correct I forgot about the 250 hour and hatra thingy.

offshoreigor
24th Jul 2001, 20:06
Copter Cody:

I have just been reviewing the posts I have missed over the past month or so and I couldn't help commenting on your rather amusing if not juvinile advice.

You are quite right that a long-line pilot can command an excellent financial renumeration package, however, that only applies to a very few, dedicated and what we in the industry like to call "brain dead" pilots (kidding) called the HELILOGGERS!

Yes they can earn in excess of 200K per annum, but at what cost?

It's basically a 100% Q climb, followed by a flat pitch auto through some of the foulest WX you can imagine and they have to be able to do the turn in two or three minutes. Sound like fun to you?

Long-lining is a very broad term in the helicopter industry and cannot be easily generalized.

I think you have to review you're previous posts and finish High School and then get a life, not a fantasy.

Keep Dreamin'

Cheers :eek: OffshoreIgor :eek:

[ 24 July 2001: Message edited by: offshoreigor ]

collective bias
25th Jul 2001, 18:01
Neil,
In my opinion the Canadian industry is substancially healthier than any of the australasian sectors. Igor, PR and IHL are correct in the suggestions to check out Alberta.
I have investigated this road and had intended showing up to hanger rat (if necessary) to get a start. I know plenty of antipodeans who have had a great time in Alberta and set themselves up for good work in OZ/NZ when the workpermit expires. The permit is the biggest hurdle and if you search back thru pprune to JAN you will find quite a lot of advice on the subject. E-mail me if you need help.
regards :)

tigerpic
6th Sep 2001, 00:03
a friend of mine needs helicopter schools to contact in canada. the best would be a list of web sites he could check out... i am more familiar with the us ones.

anybody?

Invisible1
8th Sep 2001, 03:43
I'll pass along the Training Unit I deal with - Silverline Helicopters which is located about 40 minutes north of Toronto. Currently undergoing building expansion, as a result intake of new students is currently limited. www.silverlineheli.com (http://www.silverlineheli.com)
If you want info via email, send it to [email protected], he will have the chief flight instructor respond with any information your friend may require.

Sitherote
28th Oct 2001, 10:26
I am a UK military heicopter pilot/test pilot and instructor with 3500 hours and a UK ATPL (H). What must I do to convert my license to a Canadian commercial license and how are the Job prospects in Canada. I am qualified on S61, Bell 212/206/205/412, S70A? Thanks for any responses and suggestions for places look.

HelosRfun
29th Oct 2001, 03:23
You shouldn't have any problems. They may validate your UK license. I went up this past summer with a FAA Comm/Inst. Helo. Had to do a full commercial checkride + 100 question written exam. The main thing here is to find a prospective employer. They have to put in a request with immigration after proving to the satisfaction of the bureaucrat that no suitable Canadian is available. It's off season now, so that may be a bit hard. You could go for landed immigrant status, then look around. Some bigger operators are Canadian Helicopter, Helijets, and others. Try this site www.avcanada.com (http://www.avcanada.com) or www.avcanada.ca (http://www.avcanada.ca) (can't remember exactly). If you want temporary, contract, like I did, wait until Jan or Feb and start applying for the fire positions.

Lee5timit
30th Oct 2001, 06:39
A decent Canadian site is Canadianaviation.com. Lots of Ra Ra Ra on the state of the industry, etc. Written exam plus a ride will get you a comm ticket. Canadian Helicopters EMS program can't seem to fill all their chairs for any length of time so they would be a good bet.(76's)

Good Luck

offshoreigor
31st Oct 2001, 16:47
Sitherote:

With that background, you could easily get on with CHC International right now. There is a very vigorous hiring program right now and your S-61 in particular is very marketable.

E-mail me for a contact #

Cheers, :eek: OffshoreIgor :eek:

Steve76
31st Oct 2001, 23:07
Definately CHC International or Eastern.
If you got into the EMS contract you would have to be a copilot until you got some 76 time. Definately, make some noise to the CHC management.
Ensure you talk to Transport Canada regarding your licence conversion first and then organise your visa through the sponsoring company.
Gidday Offshoreigor! Met any ozzies lately?
Regards,
CB :D

lills
25th Jan 2002, 13:40
I'm interested in finding out some info on flying opportunities in Canada.

If anyone can help me with regards to licence conversions etc. ?

Is there much work available, if so what areas eg. longline, tourist etc. ?

advancing_blade
25th Jan 2002, 15:23
Griz

I trained in Canada in 97/98, great place to fly. The problem is work permits (was for me). If you are an Aussie national under 26, then I think you're OK, otherwise it's full immigration unless you can get a job offer (only applies if they can't fill the job with a Canadian) for which you need to have a rare skill. There are A LOT of unemplyed lower time pilots there , so don't waste your time / cash unless your a high timmer pref' with long line and mountain. I met quite a few AU & NZ chaps out there and mountain time was a problem for some.

Good luck mate

[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: advancing_blade ]</p>

Out of Balance
1st May 2002, 07:28
Questions please for you Canadian based pilots? My wife has been offered employment in Canada and can choose from a number of locations. I can go along as a dependant and as we are happily married that is probably a good idea!

As I would have the right to live and work in Canada the next step would be obtaining TC licences and looking for work.

1. Can anyone recommend a good school to convert my licence?

2. What is the current employment situation like for helicopter pilots?

I have UK and Australian ATPL(H) with IR and 7000 hours. Currently flying SAR/EMS. Any advice/contacts would be much appreciated and help in the decision making process.

Steve76
1st May 2002, 14:12
OOB,
Check your PM's.
All depends on what your wife will be doing for work.
:)

Out of Balance
1st May 2002, 22:59
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply guys. This forum and the quality of the people who contribute to it often renews my faith in the industry.

Your advice will no doubt go a long way towards us finding what we are looking for. Thank you.:)

PS Steve76 - if you left a message on my PM's I cannot find it yet. Please try again.

Snapsimo
1st Jan 2003, 23:36
Does anyone have and info on the situation of RW in Canada.
I have heard that in the worlds population of helicopters, they have 40%. Is this true. If so, would it be right to say that they have a better chance in supplying jobs?

donut king
2nd Jan 2003, 02:00
Depends on which environment you want to pursue....bush flying, ems, offshore,....etc...

Some op's are in demand at this time whereas others are still seasonal and unsteady.

D.K

Randy_g
3rd Jan 2003, 00:35
If you have 1000+ hrs, then yes there are jobs. If you don't have 1,000+ then you'll be at the back of a very long line of inexperienced pilots.

Lu Zuckerman
3rd Jan 2003, 02:20
Your biggest problem is gaining landed immigrant status or Canadian Residency. I came up to Canada from the USA on an engineering contract and opened my own business. I got married to a Canadian woman and it took four years and $13,000 Canadian before I got my papers.

:eek:

sandy helmet
3rd Jan 2003, 09:41
Don't know what you were doing Lu, but I married a Canadian too, and it took me 7 months and Cdn$1500.
Its looking to be a hot year this year(fires), and if you've got 600 hrs go to Alberta or Saskatchewan - I believe they have the lowest hour requirements to work the government (forestry) contracts.

Good luck!

Lu Zuckerman
3rd Jan 2003, 14:30
To: Sandy Helmet

My problem was that I got hooked up with a shady immigration consultant. He justified the $13,000 by telling me that on several occasions he charged over $100,000 for special cases. I should have done all the paperwork myself and saved the money and the time. A lot of the time came from the immigration service screwing up and not owning up to the screwup. At least I’m here and that’s what counts.

:D

dave_smith99
6th Jul 2003, 04:18
hi, following on from my last post about job prospects in USA/canada......

does anyone know of any good heli training schools in canada?, - to enable me to do my CPL(H) and my instructor rating - that will enable me to work in canada/the US/carribean/anywhere etc.

i will have my PPL(H) (gained here in the UK on R22s) and i'm thinking of going to canada to further my training, with a view to being able to earn money flying commercially and/or instructing - as it's really too expensive (50,000 pounds+) to do it here in the uk

any help is much appreciated...

thanks

dave

IHL
6th Jul 2003, 10:44
I would recommend doing a search on the Net. To get you started here are a couple, in no particular order: Modak, London Ontario; National, London&Toronto , On; Canadian Helicopters, Toronto, On, Quebec City QC, Penticton B.C.; Canada North, North Bay, On; Gateway Helicopters, North Bay, On; Heli-college, B.C.; Provincial Helicopters( I Think), Manitoba. There are a bunch more.

Steve76
6th Jul 2003, 10:59
I know the blokes at Modak in London Ontario. Top class instructor runs the place and has the industry experience to back up his high expectations for his students. They recently had one CPL graduate achieve the highest ever score on a CPL flight test....98%!
Choose your school not on the bottom line but what you will learn from them and the CFI's reputation.
There are some great schools out west as well but quite a lot further to travel too from the UK.
PM me if you want further info. Been there and done this ;)

IHL check PM's please.....
:ok:

rotorboy
6th Jul 2003, 12:52
Couple of things to remember. first you will not get an instruction job, in canada right away, about opposite of what is in the states. Mosst of the instructors are high time guys who like being home more in there golden years. ( ill catch flack for that)

If you are going to canada, find a school that is assoicated with an operating company. I would stay away from one or two of the above metnioned pilot mills. Airborne energy, VIH, Great Slave, Canadian are all big operators that have been know to hire klow time guys, espically ones that have come through there flight school.

Give a guy called Bob Reimer a call, Bob was the CP for VIH for 15 years, and bought VIH's flight school, but is assoicated with them. he is also a Examiner. He is only taking a couple of students at a time. Coast Heli college. There is a guy you can learn some stuff from.

Another thought is ol ed in Cambell river, E& B, another utility operator who trains in the winter.

You need to decide if you are going to the us or canada, pick where you want to be and find a flight school there. If you want recomendations let me know. Been awhile since I instructed but still have a pretty good grasp of who will fleece you and who will be fair.

If you can get a J1 visa, go US and do the cfi/cfii route, fly 800- 1k your first year teching and going insane, then off to tours in the ditch or Ak , and the world opens up...

later rb

ask if can anwser anything else for you

HeloTeacher
6th Jul 2003, 13:32
The instructor rating in Canada requires 400 hrs (or 400 PIC, I forget now) as a prerequisite to clarify Rotorboy's post. This is another reason for the non-existence of the instructing trade you see elsewhere.

I agree with all his suggested schools in Canada. PM for details on any that you may want to know more about.

Good luck.

the coyote
19th Sep 2003, 15:57
Howdy all,

I am looking at converting my Australian ATPL(H) to Canadian ATPL and also doing the Canadian Command Instrument Rating.
I have heard on the grapevine about Heli-College and Pro IFR.
Was looking for recommendations, info, costs, timeframes, contacts etc from anyone that has done it.

Any info would help. Thanks.

helimatt
19th Sep 2003, 18:56
G'Day Coyote,
I dont know if you saw, but I mentioned on another post about a rumor I heared about Canada and New Zealand entering an agreement to recognise each other's licences later this year.
And as you are probably aware to convert your licence to a Kiwi one via the trans tasman agreement involves only a bit of paperwork and a few bucks.
I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.... Convert to Kiwi and when the agreement goes through, convert to Canadian.

Having said all this, what I heard was just a rumor and there may not be a scrap of fact in it. But can't hurt to check it out! :ok:

All the best with it :)

Steve76
19th Sep 2003, 21:12
Hi Coyote,

Mail me at
[email protected]

I have the good stuff for you.....

Steve76

rotornut
23rd Oct 2003, 03:02
Does anyone know what kind of hours it takes to get a heli job in Canada these days? I have a few hundred hours, mostly HU30 but some BH06.

paco
24th Oct 2003, 07:17
Minimum 600, usually, with mountain (for forestry). 1000 preferred, 1500+ better, the more 206 the better as well. AS 350 not important with low hours

Phil

slowtyper
24th Oct 2003, 14:15
can anyone recommend a flying school in canada (BC) where I can convert my licence to a canadian one?

dzeroplus
24th Oct 2003, 16:26
Cathy and Lynn Press at http://www.chinookhelicopters.com/ are excellent and carry out many licence conversions.

They keep the flying (cost!) to a minimum and assist you with the theory exams and job placement depending upon your experience and ability.

Give them my regards.

Autorotate
25th Oct 2003, 03:27
Canadian Helicopters have a great school from all accounts and Airborne Solutions Flight Training have got themselves a good reputation.

:E

Steve76
25th Oct 2003, 08:43
Wouldn't bother with Canadian Helicopters School.
Goto Lyle Watts at Helicollege BC. he knows all about conversions for aussies and kiwis. Get your photo on the wall.....must be a hundred or so there now.

slowtyper
25th Oct 2003, 08:52
thanks for the suggestions fellas, much appreciated:ok:

Autorotate
25th Oct 2003, 09:30
Steve whats the problem with Canadian Helicopters school as all the feedback I have heard has been positive.

Lowlevldevl
26th Oct 2003, 13:48
Slowtyper,
I have to agree with dzaeroplus. I did my conversion with Cathy and Lynne a few months back. There is not one aspect of my 2 weeks there that I'd change. The others are probably fine, but Abbotsford is really easy to get to from Oz (close to Vancouver). They have very reasonably priced accomodation within walking distance of their school. Cathy has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the Canadian theory, with all the past exam papers you will need to pass that. Theres a Transport Canada office on the airport where you can do your exams and apply for your license.
Training is done in B-47 G2's. Underpowered but great for honing your basic skills. Cathy is a terrific instructor and unless you had really first class instruction in OZ, you won't just do a conversion, you'll learn something. I don't believe I could have done any better elsewhere for the money. If you're a mustering pilot, don't go there with the idea that you're going to show the Canucks how we do it down-under. The G2's won't handle it and Cathy won't put you up for the flight test until you slow it down.
"When in Rome......"
Have heard from a few others that Helicollege charge like wounded bulls for their theory component but the pass rate is excellent. I admit thats second hand but look into it.

One thing to check first, saw in one of the other threads that Canada and New Zealand are going to recognize each others Commercial Pilots certificates, If that is true, the Trans Tasman agreement MAY mean they recognise Australias as well. Just a rumour but worth checking out.

If you do end up going with Chinook, give Nimbus a pat for me.

paco
26th Oct 2003, 18:33
Bighorn at Springbank nr Calgary are worth a look

Phil

Steve76
27th Oct 2003, 01:03
Autorotate.....
Its simply that you will send them an e-mail and they won't bother to reply......eh!
;)

Training is better out West with the hills around.

slowtyper
27th Oct 2003, 07:43
Lowlevldevl,
Thanks for the info, should've got your number from you at cessnock the other day!!
cheers, slowtyper
Paco, thanks also

Winnie
27th Oct 2003, 20:40
Gander Flight Training aint too bad either for conversions,
CPL and instructor (if you hold previous instructor ratings)

OK School for sure:ok:

rotorboy
28th Oct 2003, 05:13
Well, here it goes.. I suggest you read a previous thread from last winter. I personally would stay away form several of the above mentioned schools.. For one they do not operate commerciallly, second no one uses 47's and youll have a hard time finding a job.

Find a school that is part of a commercial opertion..
Good Bets...

Great Slave
Airborne energy
VIH (now run by ex chief pilot bob reamer) called Coast heli College
E&B in Campell river.
CDN
National Helicopters

all have been know to hire low time guys..

Do some research, going to a place that has nice folks and cranks out conversion lic, may not be the best way to position or network for a job. Putting your self in the way of oppertunity.. so to speak... may be benificial..

remember no place is perfect!

RB

Yea heliport , ill get to that in the next couple of days..

407 Driver
28th Oct 2003, 06:46
?? No-one uses 47's ?? Most of the schools you mentioned don't either. Certainly not CHC, Airborne Engergy or E&B (a robbie dealer).

Some that do are:
Valley Helicopters in Merritt BC, and
Chinook in Abbotsford.

I believe that Bighorn may have bought one recenlty though?

slowtyper
28th Oct 2003, 20:34
Rotorboy,

Thanks for the info; I would like to know how many hours you need to be low time or high time?
. Does getting a conversion in a 47 adversely affect my prospects of getting a job??
Can't seem to find the vih school on the net although I have asked them and the school you mentioned did not come up in my search.
Cheers

Slowtyper(that took half an hour)!!!!!!!!!

rotorboy
29th Oct 2003, 01:47
the above post were talking about a school with the 47 and how good it was. My point was if you do your conversion in a piston , at least do it iwth a school/operator that uses pistons in the field and has been know to hire guys they train E&B, AES....

Slowtyper , Call directory in Sydney BC for Coast Heli College

RB

rotornut
11th Nov 2003, 19:08
Coast Helicopter College
9594 Hurricane Rd.
Sidney, B.C.
V8L 5V5

(205)-655-0416
Fax: (250)-656-2675

Good luck!

rotornut
11th Nov 2003, 23:02
Sorry, that should be 250-655-0416 not "205".

407 Driver
12th Nov 2003, 10:27
RotorBoy, your points are noted. All makes sense when taken in context.
Regardless, the 47 is a very good trainer, whether heading for a piston job or not.
You are correct, always best to train with an outfit that MAY hire you. The only issue though, is where to train? Train with VIH on a Robbie, but will AES or Bighorn consider hiring you since you never trained there?
To pick an independent like Chinook may not give you an "In" but may also not limit your options with the piston fleets? Perhaps??

TIMTS
14th Nov 2003, 08:11
How is the job market in Canada nowadays?

I was just wondering if there is any chance of getting a job up there with 1000hrs+ PIC and some 206 time.
How easy/hard is it for a european with FAA licenses to get a Visa/workpermit?

Randy_g
15th Nov 2003, 00:35
With 1,000 hrs getting a job won't be too bad, if you have experience on a long-line.

Check with immigration on getting a work permit. http://www.cisr.gc.ca/en/about/rules/index_e.htm

You will have to convert your license to a Canadian one. If you don't mind high taxes, and lowering wages, come on up.

Cheers

donut king
15th Nov 2003, 01:13
You forgot to mention the unlimited supply of Tim Hortons coffee and donuts....mmmmmm donuts!!

Come on Randy G...... what kind of ambassador are you!!

D.K

Lu Zuckerman
15th Nov 2003, 03:29
To: TIMTS

If you luck out on getting a job, ask your employer if he would consider hiring you as a contractor. If he agrees, you can get a good Canadian Chartered accountant and he can open a business in your name. It would cost about $600 Cdn.

Once you have started to work you will bill the operator for hours worked as well as billing him for appropriate taxes which you in turn will pay to the provincial and federal governments.

You can pay yourself a salary and this will be taxed as personal income. The rest goes into the corporation. You can spend the corporations’ money as long as it is a legal expenditure. I bought a car for my business and wrote off a computer and all my business expenses.

You will also have to pay social security on your personal income as well as Canadian old age pension. I worked for 11 months under my business and being over 65 I get $34.00 per month for my old age benefit.

Give it a try. Good luck

Thomas coupling
15th Nov 2003, 19:51
TIMTS: friend of mine tried again (third time) recently to get a job, helo flying in North America.
I tried many years ago, same response, different person.
"We don't need helo drivers up here". Immigration are inundated with them apparently.
However, they still need: nurses, doctors, architects, geologists.......

Lu sounds like a better angle.

Good luck :hmm:

widgeon
15th Nov 2003, 20:04
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/assess/index.html

here is the test , pass mark is 67 .

WOw i scored 81 .

Pilots are one of the required jobs.

I was sponsered by Canadair when i can over some time last century , so it was a doddle . Even managed to get permission to immigrate to Quebec .

See NOC job title.

Quick Search

Find an occupational description by entering its four-digit NOC code.

2271 Air Pilots, Flight Engineers and Flying Instructors

Pilots fly fixed wing aircraft and helicopters to provide air transportation and other services. Flight engineers (second officers) monitor the functioning of aircraft during flight and may assist in flying aircraft. Flying instructors teach flying techniques and procedures to student and licensed pilots. Air pilots, flight engineers and flight instructors are employed by airline and air freight companies, flying schools, the armed forces and by other public and private sector aircraft operators.

Example Titles

air pilot
captain - air transport
check pilot
chief flying instructor
chief pilot
co-pilot
flight engineer
flying instructor
helicopter pilot
military pilot
pilot instructor
second officer
test pilot

>>View all titles

Main duties

Pilots perform some or all of the following duties:
Fly fixed wing aircraft or helicopters to transport passengers and freight
Provide services such as search and rescue, aerial surveying or spraying and crop dusting
Direct activities of aircraft crew during flight, as captain of aircraft
Co-pilot aircraft and perform captain's duties if required, as first officer
Test new aircraft to evaluate aircraft performance
Train pilots to use new equipment, or prepare them for examination to re-validate or upgrade existing licences.
Flight engineers (second officers) perform some or all of the following duties:
Monitor operation of engines, fuel consumption and functioning of aircraft systems during flight
Assist captain and first officer in operation of aircraft as second officer.
Flying instructors perform some or all of the following duties:
Instruct student pilots in procedures and techniques of flying aircraft and in groundschool subjects such as navigation, radio procedures and flying regulations
Train licensed pilots for additional certification.
Employment requirements

Pilots and flight engineers
Completion of secondary school and graduation from a certified flying or aviation school are required.
A commercial pilot's licence or an air transport pilot's licence is required.
Additional licences or endorsements to fly different types of aircraft are required.
A university degree or college diploma may be required.
Structured training is provided by employers.
Flight instructors
Completion of secondary school and graduation from a certified flying or aviation school are required.
A commercial pilot's or an air transport pilot's licence is required.
Transport Canada ratings and endorsements to provide instruction on different types of aircraft are required.
A university degree or college diploma may be required.
Classified elsewhere

Air Traffic Control and Related Occupations (2272)
Ground school instructors (in 4131 College and Other Vocational Instructors)
Classification Structure - 2

Last Modified: 2003/06/12 Important Notices

ylhelico
15th Nov 2003, 23:43
Hey TIMTS,

You're very welcome in Canada as long as you don't offer your skills as cheap laber. Ask a normal wage. Too many foreigners are working for nothing and bringing the wages down.

Best of luck!

Steve76
17th Nov 2003, 06:35
ylhelico,

What do you mean about foreigners working here for nothing?
I know of no pilots flying for nothing in Canada. The immigration and insurance issues stomp that on the head. Most pilots who come here have experience so they won't work for nothing to start with. The guys with under 500hrs can't get onto insurance so where are the free workers?

As for coming to Canada. Even if you score well on the points believe me it is no picnic. It will take at least 2yrs whether you apply inside or outside the country.

If you have experience that is required in Canada and can find an employer who will battle through the immigration nightmare (HRDC)..... they may allow a work visa to be issued for you but it takes a fair amount of effort to prove that a Canadian cannot do the job you are looking to take.

You don't need an employer if applying outside Canada but the process is at least 2yrs + and involves about 100 photos of yourself, security checks, in excess of $3000 canadian (without lawyer...) and more patience than you can imagine.

If you don't believe me ask Lu Zuckerman.

It is far easier to float into Vancouver harbour on an inner tube with nothing and claim refugee status. You will then get some help, money, food and somewhere to live. Nothing like the predjudice that comes with being white, educated middle class male....:*

I just got my permanent residence and it just about drove me nuts. You cannot actually talk to someone at immigration. It all goes through the web or you have to fax a question. Most of the persons working there do not know the system and are as useless as a tit on a bull.

Apart from that. Canada is a superb place to fly. The guys I work with are fantastic and the industry here welcoming and liberal in its opportunities. It is worth the hard work.

Good onya Canada and thanks........:ok:

widgeon
3rd Jan 2004, 00:13
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/

Gives info on immigration , the fastest way though is to have a company sponsor you ( Ie find a job and have them push through the paperwork) .

fitternturner
3rd Jan 2004, 23:35
just wondering if anyone has views on the standards of training schools in canada, not interested in the ordinary, just the reputable.
Also, I just saw "Blue Thunder"....OK we didn't have a VCR in '83, what is it based on? seems to have the tailboom and enclosed tail rotor of a dauphin, but the turbine seems in the open like a lama???? I'm no expert here, wondering if anyone knows more! Thanks

407 Driver
4th Jan 2004, 01:00
I heard that "Blue Thunder" was built on a Gazelle airframe.

Bravo73
4th Jan 2004, 01:08
For the second part of your question, try this link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87479&highlight=blue+thunder) to a previous thread about Blue Thunder.

But the short answer is: a Gazelle.

I also notice that you're quite new to PPRnNe so you probably haven't discovered the 'search' link at the top of the page. An awful lot of stuff has already been discussed on these boards so you'll probably find the answer to the first part of your question there.

Regards,

B73

Ooops. Only just seen 407's post.

fitternturner
4th Jan 2004, 08:44
Thanks for the info, I never thought about a gazelle, never have seen on in the flesh here in Aus!
I'll do a search re training schools.

the coyote
4th Jan 2004, 22:08
There's one gazelle in Oz.
PHS in Moorabbin usually hangar it.

rotornut
5th Jan 2004, 19:04
Try this outfit:[URL=http://www.chinookhelicopters.com/about.htm]
(You probably found it in your search) They were very helpful when I e mailed them and come highly recommended.

gayflyboy
11th Jan 2004, 14:47
helicollege in Langley BC, near Vancouver, has a good reputation- at least as far as I hear. Haven't had any training there myself, but have flown with many who have trained there are seem more than happy with the quality of the training.

They don'y have any gazelles though - but they are indeed fun to fly. I was lucky enough to learn on one (at Her Majesty's expense, fortunately).

http://www.heli-college.com/

300CB
14th Jan 2004, 09:09
Was wondering how the market for pilots is looking in canada at the moment.
I have 1000+ hrs total, mostly in 300CB and R-22, and about 25hrs in B206.
I am instrument rated, have longline "experience"...if you can call 10hrs experience, and have completed a dangerous goods (hazmat) course.

Was wondering how marketable I would be around the world, canada especially, with these credentials...
What countries out there accepts FAA licenses without too much conversion?
I currently live in Norway

Thanks a lot for any answers....

gayflyboy
14th Jan 2004, 12:48
Canada is certainly not an "FAA" country. If you want to work here, quite apart from getting a work permit, you will need to write the exams and fly the flight tests..... The flying hours will be credited, as long as you haven't logged and PIC time at the same time as anyone else. Am not completely up to speed with the FAA regs, but they used to allow both pilots to log PIC if they were qualified on the aircraft. Transport Canada -and most other regulatory bodies - will not accept this.

They have a pretty informative website Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca)

LimitedPanel
16th Mar 2004, 02:15
Hi Guys,

I have an Australian ATPL(H) and want to gain a Canadian ATPL(H). I'm married to a Canuck and plan to move back to Canada and work eventually. I've checked the tc website but it's not 100% clear as to what exmas/flight tests I'll need for converting an Aussie ATPL(H) to Canadian.
Any help would be much appreciated.

SICKorSKI
16th Mar 2004, 08:21
:confused:

dont expect easy answers from Transport Canada!

When CHC took over Lloyd here a few years back a number of aussies went thru the process. They all recieved different answers from TC and were required to different amount of paperwork and flights.

rool the dice and good luck!

Joker's Wild
16th Mar 2004, 11:12
Good day eh!!!

Last time I checked, no such thing as a "command" instrument rating in Canada. Just................an instrument rating. You've either got one or you don't.

One of our guys (Ozzie CPLH only) was sent to Canada (Pro IFR) to get him an IF rating. When he got there, Transport Canada said he FIRST needed to obtain a Canadian CPLH!!!! So, after much heartache and jumping through hoops, he got his Canuck IF rating AND a Canadian CPLH. Go figure.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and speculate that since you've got an Ozzie ATPLH, you should be in much bette shape than our chap was when he went over.

For what it's worth, I did my helicopter IF rating back in the winter of '92 at Helicollege (Lyle Watts is still there I think) and it was great. Kicked arse on the Transport Canada exam and a seriously good ride. If you can come to grips with Lyle's inability to be on time for a flight or ground school, you'll do ok. Costs weren't that bad cuz I did my homework on any hours I had which I could apply to the minimum times required. In the end it worked out quite well cost wise.

Time wise it took about 8 weeks total, but I wasn't in a rush or on the clock so..................

Hope this helps!!!

sandy helmet
4th Apr 2004, 10:51
Companies are able to apply for a work permit on your behalf, but like you said, for a low time guy it wouldn't be worth their while. Besides most of the government contracts that form a major part of their revenue have their own minimum time requirements which would preclude a low timer, the lowest of which I think would be Saskatchewan with 600 hours.

Lightning_Boy
4th Apr 2004, 14:24
The J1 visa is a student visa (or so I've been told) and still does not give you the right to employment in the USA. It is meant only for the puposes of training and studying and not for employment. I to am preparing to go back to the USA on a J1 visa for the exact same intension as you, to carry out my CPL IR CFI CFII rating and hopefully gaining employment for a year as a CFI, I have spoken to a lot of people who have done this and have been employed there, but it is not 100% legal.
If you pay your taxes and keep out of trouble most people get away with it, but it's not something you should advertise.

I wont be when I do it anyway ;)

LB

wesp
5th Apr 2004, 17:26
It is allowed to work on a J1 visa but the flightschool were you did your training acts as a sponsor. This means they have to approve were you are going to work. There is a restriction though officially you're only allowed to work 20 hours a week. The work you do is purely for building experience to an ATP level which is 1200 hours. So the Visa is absolutely not a work permit. The maximum time you're allowed to stay in the US is 2 years depending on the program you're doing. After this two years you have to return to your country of origin.

Another restriction is that it's only applicable for persons who have less than 50 hours of flight-time after getting their PPL.

rotorrookie
6th Apr 2004, 02:37
Actually the 50 hour limit was turned into 70 hour last year.
But another question related to this, will they hire a foreign pilot as instructor?? I mean they will probably hire those with green card first or what??

hotzenplotz
6th Apr 2004, 10:01
Where did you get this information of the 70 hours limit? Is it school based or US-law?

I know about Hillsboro, HAI and Heliflight providing J-1 Visas. Are there any further? Heliflight is mentioning at their website that there are 4 in the US.

Is there a way to get a J-1 at a still 200 h cpl level?

regards ...

rotorrookie
6th Apr 2004, 22:25
Got that info from Hillsboro, hope its right because otherwise I’ll have to rip some pages out of my logbook and that’s not what you want to do when you are trying to collect them:O

lead zeppelin
24th Aug 2004, 21:00
Has anyone heard of a Canadian operator called "Ice Helicopters", in Jasper Alberta or somewhere in the Mountains?

:confused:

Auto Relight
24th Aug 2004, 21:09
Nope,

But you may want to be a bit more specific. Big country.

There is an outfit that flies Glacier Tours over the Columbia Icefields between Banff and Jasper, forget their name though.

AR

lead zeppelin
24th Aug 2004, 21:17
Auto Relight

More specific? Jasper, Alberta narrows it down a fair bit, I'd say. If not Jasper, somewhere near there in the mountains.

"Ice Helicopters" may be an operating name for a larger operation, though.

Cheers

407 Driver
24th Aug 2004, 21:47
There's an "Icefields Helicopters" located on the David Thompson Highway just east of the Banff Park gates. They do air tours over the Columbia Icefields, using a 206 and a 350 D if I remember correctly

A very questionable operator, be careful !!

Heliport
24th Aug 2004, 21:48
There's an operator in Alberta who trades as Icefield Helicopters.

lead zeppelin
24th Aug 2004, 22:40
Thanks, Gentlemen.

LGB81
28th Aug 2004, 07:56
Well no doubt that this is a common listing on all Pilot chat sites, unfortunately though I haven’t found the answers that I am after yet.
I am going to Canada, next Feb to find a job. I am young (24) and have 1400 TT and 500 Turbine. I am of the impression that Canadians are like Aussies in the regard that they aren’t going to employ anyone on the other side of the country or planet for that matter, without being in their face pushing for it.
What I ask of you all that have successfully ventured into Canada and those from Canada, am I doing the right thing? To get a work VISA I need sponsorship, to get sponsorship I need a job, so the plan (if you could call it that) is to go over for a holiday, have some fun and if I can get sponsorship from an employer then the ball will continue to roll........ The only other option I can see to this is finding a job first, which seems unachievable sitting here in Australia.
How has it worked for you?

Your thoughts are appreciated......
LGB81

Steve76
28th Aug 2004, 16:52
First.
You don't need a sponsor. You are under 30 and can get the 1 year work visa for visiting Aussies. Apply before you enter the country and tell them that you want to work in a ski resort or bar....not aviation. It is supposed to be for that kind of experience. Once you have it, nobody cares.

Second.
So some homework for your licence conversion. Goto the Transport Canada website and look into the conversion requirements in the regs. CAR's: Canadian Aviation Regulations.
You will need to do some IFR training.
Options for conversion are typically Helicollege: Expensive but experienced
PROIFR: Experienced but I don't know the costings....
Both are out of Vancouver area.

Third:
Finding work won't be an issue. But the question is what experience do you have? Have you been round and round the rock, tours on the coast, remote area mustering.....?
Don't go somewhere with only city experience and bull**** your way into a remote area sling job. You will :mad::mad::mad::mad: up and ruin the good kiwi/aussie reputation around here. Be frank about your work experience and work hard. If you do a good season, you will probably be sponsored for next year.

Options for starter possies are:
Airborne Energy - Whitecourt Alberta: love aussies and kiwis. Will employ you. Work is in the gas patch. Pretty easy with some longlining if you check out and the chance of fire work if you have time... you will work an R44 and B206. Possibly Astar.
Baily Helicopters in Fort St John: Same as above.

Various operators in Quebec. Quebec is going off next year (apparently...) with 60+ helo's predicted on the new hydro work there. Practice your french and be prepared to meet some of the world's most gorgeous wimmen....

I have a friend coming over next year and will be helping him with the conversion costs. Vancouver is quite expensive and I am seeing if he can do it cheaper with a friend of mine out east. Sets him nicely for work in Quebec. You need to be in country to convert on Feb 01 at the latest...
Intakes are around April.

Auto Relight
28th Aug 2004, 17:08
Jesus Steve!

Why don't you just hire a container or two and bring over a whole boatload while you're at it! Hear it works well for the Asians...

LGB

Good luck with your trip, and remember, if you get discouraged at all, just find an aviation capable radio and tune in 123.20 anywhere in Western Canada come June and you'll here plenty of familliar accents...

I can also suggest Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford, or their competition, BC Helicopters for the conversion.

AR

paco
28th Aug 2004, 20:03
You only need a "sponsor" for permanent residence, and pilots are on the list (you get fifteen points). However, unless you get the visamentioned above you will need someone to offer you a job and make an application in their local HR office confirming that no Canadians are available, having made all efforts to get one.

I can recommend Bighorn in Springbank near Calgary for your conversion, but there are many schools that are as good as each other You can get study material for the exams here (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation/#CPL) . Wouldn't bother with IFR unless you are staying for more than a year or so

Good luck!

Phil

Nealcon
28th Aug 2004, 20:08
Expect some very nice women my friend!

jinglejim
28th Aug 2004, 23:25
LGB,
Something you may need to consider.. if your first port of entry is the USA.

My experience which occured in the early 90's had me p....ed off no end. I was planning to backpack around the west coast of usa for 3months then head up to BC and see if I could get some flying in during there fire season. Therefore my backpack consisted of Pilot Licences, Logbook,CV's, etc etc. when I arrived in Hawaii first port off entry the US customs when finding this stuff didn't believe my story and thought I was going to seek work in US without green card, so they promptly put me into a holding cell at the airport for 8hours plus and as I found later I was very close to being deported back to OZ. I missed my connecting flight to LA.. But did eventually end up there a day later with an angry girlfriend at the other end wondering if I'd done a runner.......... So if your planning to go there first then perhaps forwarding your credentials first maybe prudent.

evod
28th Aug 2004, 23:59
Have fun china boy and send us a postcard.......ya lucky bastard!

:sad: :sad: :ok:

LGB81
29th Aug 2004, 05:18
Thanks Steve76, thats very handy info. As for the experience i have a fair bit of remote time now but only a little sling.....hopefully it'll cut it.

Auto Relight, hopefully i'll be another accent in the air soon.....

Handy to have a little study before i go, and thanks for the heads up re customs, Paco and jinglejim.

evod...... hows the wx in VIC, pretty hot up here, Mr & Mrs Garochio home yet,

Thanks again all
LGB81

evod
29th Aug 2004, 05:29
No word from the taco man and the wx is as you would expect. Talk to you soon

Cheers

TomOz
29th Aug 2004, 08:01
Hi LGB81, Check your PMs.

Heliport
29th Aug 2004, 08:11
LGB81

Here's a thread which might be worth reading before you go:

Slingloading Techniques and Information (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132180)

Heliport

eurocopter2
5th Sep 2004, 02:32
Can anyone tell me what process is involved in making an Australian commercial rotary licence valid for commercial work in Canada.

WLM
5th Sep 2004, 04:22
All the relevant information is readily posted on the Canadian forum. ;)

a.p
16th Oct 2004, 17:18
Just wondering what the pay is like for: Canadian, Vancover Island Helicopters, Airbourne Energy Solutions.
And also who is better to work for?

Heli Sport
13th Nov 2004, 08:53
Hi guys would just like to get some ideas of what I experience would be necessary to gain employment in Canada. Hours wise, turbine experience etc,etc,etc...... And what type of work your most likely to come across over there.

Just trying to set a plan of what I should be trying to work towards before I head over in the years to come.

IHL
14th Nov 2004, 04:44
You should be employable with 1000 hours in turbine helicopters .

The type of flying would be resource [i.e. exploration] and fire fighting

Heli Sport
14th Nov 2004, 11:36
Thanks IHL. Seems the norm everywhere, get that magic 1000hrs and your right.

sammy76
23rd Nov 2004, 20:01
Hi Guys, I'm sure this has been brought up before, but, does anyone know how to convert an Aussie CPL(H) to Canadian CPL(H)?? Thanks.

bloodycrow
25th Nov 2004, 01:44
Sammy...check your pm's

marc1612
29th Nov 2004, 11:52
hello almost canadian,
it's been a while since you post about the
one year work permit in canada after graduation.
if anybody has info please let me know
[email protected]

thank you all.

cl12pv2s
10th Dec 2004, 23:34
Just about to convert to Canadian certificate.

Would like any advice on books to study, main (any) areas that drastically differ from the FAA CPL, where to purchase the books, and any other useful information.

Cheers

paco
11th Dec 2004, 06:39
May I humbly offer my own Canadian Professional Pilot Studies (http://www.electrocution.com/aviation#CPL) ?

It covers everything in one book and can be obtained from most aviation shops in Canada. An AIP would also be helpful, but you can get that when you get there

Phil

Winnie
11th Dec 2004, 17:07
Paco is correct, that is a good book!
You also need (should have anyways) the CAR's in plain english, by the same author.

You can also check out Transport Canada's website and download the other pubs you'll need.

You will need the Study and Reference guide for Commercial and private pilots, the Flight Test guide for CPL Helicopter, and you can read the CAR's on the Internet. I'd advise you to buy a Canadian AIP, however, you will receive it for free after you get your license (takes about 6 months though...)

If you need numbers for the books they are:
TP 3077E, Flight test standards PPL and CPL Helicopter
TP 2476E, Study and reference guide PPL and CPL Helicopter

Hope that helps!:ok:

Haggis Hunter
30th Jan 2005, 13:34
Hey guys,

Just a quick question...

What sort of flying (heli-skiing/forrestry etc.) would someone with CPL(H) and FI rating be able to do in British Columbia with roughly 500hrs?

Perhaps some of you who work over there already could give me some advice and tips on approaching companies and what the chances are! If it helps I have R22/R44, B206 and AS350

Thanks for your time guys, HH:cool:

Fun Police
30th Jan 2005, 15:15
bc forestry will not take you without an approved mountain flying course and with those hours i highly doubt any heli-ski operators would take you even if you had as350 or bh212 time.

Haggis Hunter
30th Jan 2005, 15:26
I was just using those as examples, was the deal with instructing over there? HH:cool:

sycamore
30th Jan 2005, 16:29
Try the Canadian forum.... here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=42)

and

Canada: Training & Job Prospects here. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116507)
Heliport

Haggis Hunter
30th Jan 2005, 18:21
Thanks very much guys for the suggestions and website address. HH:cool:

ground effect
31st Jan 2005, 00:36
what do these operators/authorities consider to be an approved mountain flying course...:confused:

407 Driver
31st Jan 2005, 04:07
Better yet, try www.caaviation.com

500 hrs won't get you much work, perhaps up north in BC in the onshore Oil and gas fields.
I'm not exactly who "approves" mountain courses, but you'd be looking at a minimum of 20-25 hours at a reputable school. ie BC Helicopters, Chinook, Valley, VIH (or whatever they call themselves now), CHC, etc, etc

rotorboy
31st Jan 2005, 06:53
Chances are slim to ahh none.. though a few companys pick the odd low time guy, usually someone they know or who has been hounding them for years... It can be a meat grinder just to talk with the CP.... for example: I am young, hungry, have several thousand hours, mostly utility, mtn, sling, alaska time, astar-500-206L , lic and legal to work in the US /Canada and only in the last 3 months did I get past the secretary/screener at 407D's company, after a couple of years of trying... oh and I tried...and keep trying....

The coast can be a challenging enviroment... steep, ****ty wx, demanding customers who dont want to fly with low time guys, oh and big trees, did I mention bad wx and high winds this time of year... Some of the things you need to be able to do on the coast is not 500 hr guy stuff. I know you got to learn somewhere.

As for the mtn course, what they are looking for is something approved by BC forestry.. Most operators do it in house.

Try some of the other prov or up north in the territorys...

good luck

rb

407D: may do one more contract shift up north before AK... and may drive so I can do a little skiing. Kicking Horse is # one on list for next month... up for having luch with me if your not sucking pastry's at the lodge?

RB:)

Haggis Hunter
31st Jan 2005, 18:15
oh and big trees, did I mention bad wx and high winds this time of year... Some of the things you need to be able to do on the coast is not 500 hr guy stuff.

rotorboy,

Firstly, what does big trees have to do with flying?

Secondly, I was simply looking for advice not someone to tell me that I can't handle certain weather conditions and big trees, all because I only have 500hrs.

Also what were you doing when you had 500hrs... looking for some friendly advice perhaps on how to move up in the industry?

If had the same amount of hours as yourself would that make it alright for me to fly a AS350/500/206 in crap weather?

I'm just curious...

Thanks guys for all your replies, very kind. HH :cool:

407 Driver
31st Jan 2005, 19:49
Lunch it is RB :ok: , give me a call when you're heading out this way....

Haggis, Big trees = big problems,

I'd bet that you'd have no problems in descending your aircraft into any regular confined area...now imagine that same confined area when the trees are 200+ feet tall. The problems increase. The bottom is dark, what looked like a bit of brush on the forest floor during your initial recce turns into good sized re-gen, and that smooth flat forest floor now is too steep to land on.....

Try delivering a net load of gear to someone down there on a 200'+ line, don't be dragging their valuble load through the branches as you thread the line down, and try and estimate height as you peer down at then in the darkness below the forest canopy.
...got the load to them OK??, now you have to get back to camp with that same 200'+ line dangling around behind you ...in coastal crap Wx and fog layers.

My hat is off to any of the coastal boys, I have it easy in the rockpile. Our trees only get to 140 ft tall max, and there isn't any trees at all in the way when we operate over 7200 ft ASL.

RB may be cutting straight to the point without any sugar-coating, but he is completely correct !

Haggis Hunter
31st Jan 2005, 20:26
Thanks 407 for putting it in a much politer way.

How did you get in to the area of work that your in at the moment, if you don't mind me asking? HH :cool:

407 Driver
31st Jan 2005, 21:56
I started out in the Oil and Gas fields of northern BC and Alberta at 100 hours TT. Easy work, nothing to bump into, big landing areas at well sites....just couldn't navigate over those flat muskegs.

ecnalubma
31st Jan 2005, 22:42
I think that 407 driver came over on the mayflower.;)

MD900 Explorer
1st Feb 2005, 01:52
ecnalumba

I think that 407 driver came over on the mayflower
If you actually met the guy and knew how many decades of experience he had, then you would never have made such a comment :mad: (Sorry about the decades bit 407D). They never had helicopters in the day of the May flower..!! :mad: I think Leonardo was just inventing them, then :uhoh: NO I was infact 300 years out.. DOH!

Haggis Hunter

You are going to need more than 500 hours TT to work at Alpine Helicopters my friend. Try thousands and thousands. Good luck with your hunt in the interior. :{ I guess that a job at Alpine is a Gucci job eh? Top of the line and very expensive to hire, BUT almost hard to beat !!)

407 Driver

Well said, and if i had as much experience i would be dancing with the trees like you. Safe flying and thanks for the meet back in Dec. :ok:

Ground Effect
I guess if you are going to get noticed in B.C. Then you are going to have to do the Canadian Helicopters Course (Full 75 Hours @ 75,000 CAD$) at Penticton. I think people might take you seriously after that, but that is no disrespect to the other courses .i.e ViH etc...:ok:

MD :uhoh:

407 Driver
1st Feb 2005, 02:22
Hey MD900, thanks. Ecnalubma is an old friend, and regularily pokes fun at me. I don't kow why, as I NEVER slag him publically. :cool: ..but there was this one time I backed into his new car and sort of wrecked it bad...I told him I was sorry :p

Oh, nice handle, but I figured you out in about 5 seconds !

MD900, shame we picked the foggiest day to take you for a spin in the Rockies. How have you been doing over there on the RH side of the pond?

ecnalubma
1st Feb 2005, 03:07
Know I feel bad, I have flown many times with 407 driver and on a couple of occasions I even opened my eyes. The unfortunate thing is that we both have been doing our prospective jobs for about as many years.
407 driver
I should have been a little more clever with picking my name this time.
Hope to see you this summer on my regular swing through your neck of the woods trying to convince Dr. Death to find the key to his ball and chain and do a little golfing.
Regards
ecnalubma

Haggis Hunter
1st Feb 2005, 10:51
407 Driver,

Could you give some more information on the work you did on the oil and gas fields, I am just looking for work to build up my experience and also am planing on moving to BC, so any other information would be well appreciated! I wasn't looking at Alpine, just trying to get an overall idea of what's happening over "the other side of the pond".

Thanks, HH:cool:

407 Driver
1st Feb 2005, 14:02
As ecnalubma says, it was long ago when I had 500 hours.
Not sure what they may do now, but if it's like any other industry, things are probably similar?
We'd take pipeline crews out to various stations, they'd do what pipeline guys do, fiddle with valves, let sour (poison) gas vent and try and kill you.
We'd take surveyors out and move them around all day
( read...sit at -30 C and fly a 0.2 ever 2 hours).
We'd do crew changes to the big drill rigs, ( read....drunken 20 year old rig-pigs, with 0 brains, and several fingers missing).

Generally, we'd do anything that they would normally use a truck for, but the roads were impassible or non-existant.
Generally easy flying, and always good landing sites, as a standard oil or gas well lease site was about 200' x 200', smooth and flat.
The navigation was difficult, but I was there before GPS, so we did the compass and watch thing...fly 263 degrees for an hour, check the odd geographic landmark whenever possible ( a lake, a creek bend?) and viola, a rig would generally appear in the windscreen out of the 2 miles in light snow. If it didn't, you better decide quickly if it may be L or R, still ahead, or behind you !

Today, just punch in the coordinates, and you're there......until the GPS fails (??)

Summers in the BC - AB north were great, lots of tree planting and forest fires. Planting consisted of flying 20- 30 planters in, then sling boxes of trees all day, hundreds of hours of work every year. Most roads were winter only, so they'd log all winter, and use helcicopters to do all of the silviculture work in the summers. It may mean landing in weedy swampy overgrown spots, but after a bit of practice and experience, you'd be blown away where a 206 on high gear can land. You'd always hope for 2 things...a french-canadian group of female treeplanters and a hot day. They'd give you quite a show, as they stripped down to stay cool !
(hey, I was 20 back then !)

407 too
1st Feb 2005, 16:28
407 driver.

we you ever based in Hinton ??

Haggis Hunter
1st Feb 2005, 17:28
407 Driver,

Sounds like a good place to gain experience and hours, what are the companies that do the work over there, might give a shout.

mattie_k
2nd Feb 2005, 01:05
Hey guys, I've been lurking around these parts for a while now and since this is a BC job thread I thought I would ask a training question. I've decided to finally take the plunge into the heli business but I'm having trouble picking a school, should I choose mainly based on the equipment they use or the instructors? BC Helicopters seems to have a good reputation and they use 300cbi's as the trainers, or should I just do the Canadian Helicopters course? Also, besides the Mountain course, is there anything I could do to give me a leg up on any other low time guys?

407 Driver
2nd Feb 2005, 02:43
407 TOO, Never based in Hinton, sorry. I'm an old Okie guy, so if you fly DLA, you KNOW me !

Haggis, the players are:

Bailey - FSJ
Qwest - Ft Nelson
Highland - Everywhere
Delta - Alberta
Yellowhead- BC and AB
CHL - BC and AB
VIH - BC
Great Slave - AB and Territories.
Airbone Energy - AB

to name a few....

GTNav
2nd Feb 2005, 03:33
Haggis check your PM!!

I sent you a message that says the same as 407 just wrote, might mean it is close to the truth!!

MNRERIC
16th Feb 2005, 19:23
The Ontario Ministry Of Natural Resources will be seeking pilots over the next few months due to retirements and other leaves within its organization . Minimum of 2000 hours for various bases across Ontario . Interested people should keep an eye on the OPS website www.gojobs.gov.on.ca . There is a 2 year contract position in Timmins comming out in the next few days to start.

mustering guru
16th Mar 2005, 16:49
Just wondering who is beetr to work for

Great Slave...

Mustang....

Quest.....

Canadian.....

Delta......

any info on these guys would be much appreciated......the good and the bad...

belly tank
16th Mar 2005, 20:46
Have you got your work visa sorted?....if your over 30 i think you need a sponsorship to work there....which may be dificult.

mustering guru
17th Mar 2005, 00:22
have the lot.......license medical the coversition went well and i'm good to go for the next 12 months...and i dont have a handbrake..(wife)

Heli-Ice
17th Mar 2005, 01:52
Pardon me Guru but the missus is sometimes referred to as the ABS, Alcohol Brake System, in some parts of the world :ok:

belly tank
17th Mar 2005, 02:48
Mustering Guru.

Check your PM'S

mustering guru
17th Mar 2005, 05:49
Belly tank

Thanks mate i think i sent you a reply on your PMS

not sure still trying to figure this crap out

marc1612
3rd Apr 2005, 18:19
hey Guys,
anybody knows about some companies looking for pilots with 1100 hrs and some astar and 206 in western canada?
thanks a lot...

Auscan
4th Apr 2005, 15:56
Marc1612,

You wouldnt have much difficulty at all finding work with those hours. Talk to Great Slave first and if that doesnt work try Airborne or Bailey. Lots of flying with all three companies. The CP's are all good guys. Best of luck.

Cheers

rotornut
7th Apr 2005, 16:24
marc,

PM me and I'll send you the scanned employment ads from the latest issue of "Helicopters" magazine - lots of jobs advertised in Canada.

murdock
8th Apr 2005, 01:37
Or you could just look at the website with the jobs listed which is growing quite a bit now, http://www.canadianaviation.com/classifieds/
I am also just over 1250 hours with 206 endorsement and getting ready to look for work soon.
Good Luck!

murdock
9th Apr 2005, 20:21
Get a work visa and a 206 endorsement and from what I hear, if you have 1000 hours you would get a job for the summer season. Good luck without a visa though!

nut
11th Jul 2005, 14:06
I'm wondering where in Europe and at which school.
Preferably (!) long distance. It could be a german, italian, spanish, portuguese or english speaking country. But I guess it doesn't really matter since groundschool and exams are in english anyways.
Cheers

ThomasTheTankEngine
11th Jul 2005, 21:26
A few schools in the UK do a distance learning course, Internet based and then follow it with a brush up course to finish you off for the exams. Ive heard the school in Oxford and the school in Bristol are good but it's been about 4 years since Ive been out of the UK.

http://www.google.be/search?hl=nl&q=ATPL%28H%29+distance+learning&btnG=Google+zoeken&meta=

Also check out lasors for referance to UK licencing

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2005.PDF

Good luck.

nut
14th Jul 2005, 08:23
good stuff!
thanks and cheers!!
nut

leee
14th Jul 2005, 13:03
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!
just (hopefully & fingers crossed) finished the exams and now the fun part or so i thought, hoops, hoops and just for fun a few more hoops to jump through...

nut
22nd Jul 2005, 17:06
could you be more specific about your "hoops" ? ;)

hmb77
20th Aug 2005, 15:12
Hello,

What are the requirements to obtain a type rating on a medium twin helicopter (S-76, BH-412) in Canada?

offshoreigor
22nd Aug 2005, 02:48
Depends on the rating you hold now and from where?

IE, if you have an FAA or CAA then its pretty straight forward for validation. If you have Malaysian, HKG, RPA, THAI etc... you need to write for a validation.

If you want a full licence, you have to write,,,no choice. All the exams. I think 2 for CPL/IFR and 4 for ATPL.

Cheers,

:eek: OffshorIgor :eek:

paco
22nd Aug 2005, 03:58
Assuming you already have a Canadian licence:

(5) Credits for Foreign Applicants
(a) Qualifying Flight Requirement
The holder of a license issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have met the qualifying flight requirement specified in (3)(c)(iii), (3)(g)(iii), (3)(k)(ii), and (3)(l) above provided the applicant has acquired a minimum of 10 hours pilot-in-command flight time on the appropriate aircraft type during the 12 months preceding the application for rating;

Any holder of a Canadian CPL or ATP (with a type rating) can do the training (form available from TC)

Phil

hmb77
22nd Aug 2005, 16:41
Hi,

I have been searching around on this forum trying to find out where to go to get a Canadian ATPL-H (I currently hold a FAA CPL/IR and meet all the hour requirements), but it seems most of the posts are about converting a FAA CPL to a Canadian CPL. Could anyone point me in the right direction here?

Thanks

paco
22nd Aug 2005, 18:50
To get a Canadian ATP you require a type rating on a machine that requires two pilots, and the only ones in Canada that require this are the Super Puma and the S61 (and of course the 92). otherwise, the 212, S76, etc only require two pilots under IFR - but this is OK as a workaround.

This means that, effectively, you can only get an ATP from inside a company unless you have an ICAO licence with the type ratings and over 10 hours on type:

The holder of a license issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have met the qualifying flight requirement specified in (3)(c)(iii), (3)(g)(iii), (3)(k)(ii), and (3)(l) above provided the applicant has acquired a minimum of 10 hours pilot-in-command flight time on the appropriate aircraft type during the 12 months preceding the application for rating;

Any holder of a Canadian CPL or ATP (with a type rating) can do the training (form available from TC)

phil

heliduck
15th Oct 2005, 10:21
I've tried the search function but can't find the info I'm after so at the risk of upsetting the regulars here goes again. I'm particularly interested in replies from Canadian operators or Aussie expats that work seasonally in Canada -
1. Is there a market for Australian bush pilots in Canada?
2. Which school in Canada has the best reputation in the industry for this type of training (I need a turbine end. & licence conversion)?

I have approx 2500 hrs made up of mustering, Ag 2, firelighting, sling, powerlines etc mostly R22 & R44 - no turbine time. The call of the wild wakes me up at night & Canada has a pretty loud call!

I've done the research on visas, licence conversions, airfares etc so I'm just after a few finer details. Standing by.

nava1
15th Oct 2005, 11:14
Hi HD,

I worked in Canada some years ago. But when I went over there and before I did my licence at the beginning of the season, I called a bundle of operators and had no joy. I too had 2500hrs, etc, etc.
I went ahead anyhow and did my conversion, only to be bowled over with job offers. Basically it is a matter of just biting the bullet, going over there and try your luck. Each season is dfferent, but most are busy and short of pilots. I did my licence in Langley, BC. Look on the web, and they were great. Hope this helps.

remote hook
15th Oct 2005, 17:19
I can't be too hard, there's so many Aussies here these days that I'm starting to speak with an accent...!

There are many schools who will offer the conversion, and with your time it shouldn't be too hard as you meet almost all the hour mins for most clients. PM Steve76, he's your man for info, but is slaving away in the Yukon at the moment flying his ass off.

RH

heliduck
15th Oct 2005, 23:21
RH

Don't you mean you are starting to speak WITHOUT an accent?!?!

Thanks for the info.

remote hook
15th Oct 2005, 23:23
What do you mean? Canadians speak perfectly unaccented english... eh?:p

cptpinpin
16th Oct 2005, 01:04
Lets just say that you have just as good a chance of landing a job here than I finding one in Didjeriduland.

Take it from there
http://helistation.ca/PICT0326.jpg

heliduck
16th Oct 2005, 01:55
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not a gambling man but it sounds like it might be worth the airfare to give it a go. I might need to get into some running training though if you have those bloody things wandering around the bush! BY CRIKEY I'd like to see Steve Irwin kiss that on the chops. It might bite his bloody head off & give us all some peace.

Bravo73
16th Oct 2005, 02:32
Don't worry, heliduck.

You'll have less to worry about if you take the advice from this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=193767). :ouch:

Auscan
16th Oct 2005, 22:25
I would have to say not to worry about the jet ranger endorsement. With your amount of hours I am pretty sure that where ever you go they will probably endorse you anyway. I got here with less than 1000 hours Robby time and I had a 206 and a 500 endorsement in my first month of work.Doing the conversion is pretty easy. A number of schools here offer it. The one I went to in Langley got the job done but they were pretty shady. If you are serious about doing this I am sure you have already searched a few out. I dont think you will have trouble finding work. So bite the bullet and never look back.

Cheers

flapnfeather
17th Oct 2005, 03:06
auscan please check your pms..thanks

sammy76
17th Oct 2005, 10:03
Hi guys.

Can someone tell me what sort of visa is required for Aussies going to Canada and how easy it is to get it? I've heard that if your under 30 you can get a work permit pretty easy, is that right?
Thanks. Sammy.:confused:

flapnfeather
17th Oct 2005, 12:14
Sammy76, go here.

http://www.whpcanada.org.au/criteria.shtml

gulfheli
6th Nov 2005, 02:03
What are my chances of landing a job flying light turbines in Canada??? My flight time is 1700tt R22, all mustering, 5000tt in Gyrocopters all mustering, have no endorsements yet on turbines. Would it be wise to do the endorsements in Canada or Australia??? Any help would be much appreciated, especially on what has to be done to get there flight licence.

gulfheli
6th Nov 2005, 02:03
What are my chances of landing a job flying light turbines in Canada??? My flight time is 1700tt R22, all mustering, 5000tt in Gyrocopters all mustering, have no endorsements yet on turbines. Would it be wise to do the endorsements in Canada or Australia??? Any help would be much appreciated, especially on what has to be done to get there flight licence.

rotorboy
6th Nov 2005, 03:19
Ah mate, if a guy luike steve76 can get work in Canada you'll have no troubles.

Advice, go soon, do your lic conversion, start pestering airbore, greatslave, and the other likely suspects, go on a big road trip visit em all, drink beer with the fellas and you will have a visa and a job come sping.

good luck..

be weary them canooks can drink beer

RB

rotorboy
6th Nov 2005, 03:19
Ah mate, if a guy luike steve76 can get work in Canada you'll have no troubles.

Advice, go soon, do your lic conversion, start pestering airbore, greatslave, and the other likely suspects, go on a big road trip visit em all, drink beer with the fellas and you will have a visa and a job come sping.

good luck..

be weary them canooks can drink beer

RB

buckhenry212
19th Nov 2005, 07:19
Does anyone have current info and recommendations regarding Flight training in Canada.

I hold an FAA ATP(FW) with commercial privileges:Rotorcraft helicopter.

Need a Helo ATP for a job I'm focussing on.

(VFR-but they want the ATP anyway)

I meet all the flight time requirements and have a bunch of FW instument time, but no helo instrument ;

Except the basic instrument I got doing the helo add-on 25 years ago...

Thanks for any suggestions?

Buck

paco
19th Nov 2005, 15:53
For a canadian ATP you need a type rating on an machine that requires two pilots, which officially is the S61/Super Puma (and the 92 of course), but can include the 212 and 76 under IFR. if you already have it on a licence and are current, you will likely get it included with the initial issue.

Phil

Red Ant
21st Nov 2005, 10:46
Does one need to have a skills test doen in canada, in the multi-crew helo that you have on your licence to get the canadian atp?

paco
21st Nov 2005, 14:13
(b) Pilot Proficiency Check Requirement
The holder of a licence with a two-crew type rating issued by a Contracting State shall be considered to have met the Pilot Proficiency Check requirement specified in (3)(a)(iii), (3)(b)(iii), (3)(f)(iii), and (3)(g)(ii)</nobr> above provided the applicant has acquired a minimum of 50 hours flight time on that aircraft type during the 12 months preceding the application for the rating.

Google.ca "Application for Endorsement" in Canada pages only and it will be the first thing that comes up! believe it or not. Don't forget to include the $30!

phil

anvilman
23rd Dec 2005, 23:50
Hi all

Can anyone recommend or provide a list of heli flight training schools near Toronto (shortish drive or train ride)?

I am currently in Aus, half way through CPL(H) (part time) but may well be moving to Toronto for a few months with work.

Would like to continue flying/training there e.g. at the weekends.

Any thoughts or suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ooops, and I mean Toronto, Canada (as opposed to other smaller Torontos around the world!)

Cheers,

Fun Police
23rd Dec 2005, 23:57
canadian helicopters has a school at buttonville (on the north side of TO) and national helicopters has a school around there, to, i beleive. don't know much more than that, though.

aspinwing
24th Dec 2005, 00:37
Send me a pm for local details.
Where do you expect to live?

hovering
25th Dec 2005, 15:46
There is one in Kitchener/Waterloo also. Great Lakes I believe it is called.

IHL
25th Dec 2005, 15:47
Hi :

Does it have to be in/near Toronto. Canada is a large country with lots of options. Toronto is very expensive for ccomodations. Of Course- if you have a place to stay in TO then it makes sense.

TiPwEiGhT
26th Dec 2005, 18:29
Bit of help please,

I have a Frozen JAR ATPL(H) and FI(H) Rating with approximently 600 hours. These have been done on 300, R22, R44, 206 and EC120.

What would I have to do to convert to Canadian CPL and also what are the job prospects over there like?

Thanks in advance guys,

TiP;)

GoodGrief
26th Dec 2005, 18:53
It always gives me a bit of a headache when I see a 600 hour guy with 5 type ratings...

TiPwEiGhT
26th Dec 2005, 19:09
Can I ask why?

I don't hold 300 and 206 ratings, just logged time and experience on them.

TiP:confused:

GoodGrief
26th Dec 2005, 19:23
Since you have a JAR-Licence you need a type rating to log the time on the 300 and 206.

Otherwise your logbook holds "Parker" time.
So, how many hours do you have now?

You're not even allowed to touch the controls of those aircraft unless you are with an instructor working on the ratings within an FTO, or AOC holder.

Whirlygig
26th Dec 2005, 19:52
unless you are with an instructor working on the ratings
No, surely... unless you are with an instructor. I don't think you have to be working towards the rating to be able to log the hours; just with an instructor (who IS rated obviously!).

I have nearly 10 hours JetRanger time (whoopy-doo I hear you say) but no JetRanger rating. All hours are logged as valid as I was with an instructor in each case. What's wrong with that? I don't want to do the rating yet as it's expensive to maintain!

So, GoodGrief, would you be kind enough to answer TiP's original question as to why you get a headache when you see someone with 600 hours and 5 type ratings? Would your headache be lessened if there were fewer type ratings?

Cheers

Whirls

TiPwEiGhT
26th Dec 2005, 19:59
GoodGrief, not including 300 and 206 time it would probably work at around 10 hours less. I mentioned them incase they could be of some help for awnsering my question.

Yes, I was with an instructor operating on a FTO and yes I was working on the Type Ratings courses, however for reasons beyond my control I did not finish them.

Anyway, can anybody tell me the score on converting to Canadian CPL and a bit about the job prospects please?

TiP:ok:

Thanks Whirls!

How many hours and type ratings you got GoodGrief?

BigMike
26th Dec 2005, 20:08
Off track slightly, Whirls, what do you mean "maintain" a JR rating? Do you have to do x amount of hours per year? Is this another strange Euro rule?

TiPwEiGhT, check out the Canadian schools on the net as most have info on the conversion. Medical, flight test, theory exam. All pretty straight forward providing your not a complete muppet. Job prospects would be the same as a 600 hour pilot anywhere I guess. Better than a guy with a new licence, but still not a lot of real experience or hours to apply for the good jobs.

All fairly simple compared to the rubbish overseas pilots have to go through to fly in the UK.

Contact these folks and they can fill you in on the details:
[email protected]

TiPwEiGhT
26th Dec 2005, 20:22
Thanks BigMike, I'll drop chinook a line.

Whirlygig
26th Dec 2005, 20:28
BY "maintain", I mean doing the two hours minimum per annum (one of which may be one's Licence Proficiency Check!) per rating. However, being realistic, there is no way I would/should pass an LPC if I have only done one flying hour in the year prior on that machine, especially as I would probably only have 15 hours in total!! I did my JetRanger hours in South Africa where their rating isn't valid in JAA-land without jumping through some ridiculous hoops which would have made it cheaper to do it in the UK anyway - I just flew with an instructor!

Cheers

Whirls

BigMike
26th Dec 2005, 20:30
...and here is one I was recommended the other day:

Coast Helicopter College - [email protected]

Whirls, ok, understand. If your ever in Czech, call in and see us and have a look at the operation.

Cheers BigMike

GoodGrief
26th Dec 2005, 20:55
@Whirlygig:

Ten hours in a 206 are nice. How do you like it?
We have two ways of approaching this subject: What do the regs say or how is it done in the real world.

Regs:
In order to fly that 206 your instructor needs to be working in an FTO or TRTO AND you have to be in APPROVED type rating course! Meaning: That TRTO/FTO has to report to the CAA that they train you towards that rating. Then and only then are your hours legal. A single engine rating usually consists of 5 hours of flight.
Considering that you should have your rating already.
See LASORS Section F ( Type ratings ) or the equivalent FCL-2 Section.
How is it done:
You just hop in and fly along with that instrcutor when he is going on a job.
You are on the safe side finishing the rating then you can fly in the right seat with the instructor as your “safety”.

Back to the original:

It´s about professionalism. 600 hours of which about 200 (Frozen ATP) are own training probably in one type only leave you with 400 hours on 4 types, you’re not good in any of them.
I myself with 2000hours feel good with 3 to 4 ratings. Now be careful, it’s not the ratings only:
I worked for a company that had 3 different LongRangers, an L (C20R4), an L1 (C28) and an L3 (C30), the two first with Bendix Fuel System, the L3 with a Ceco. Talking about potential for killing an Engine. I was also flying his 407, now confuse the starting procedure of a 407 with that one of the 206 and you’re toast. So everytime you go fly you ask yourself what aircraft am I sitting in now…He has 3 completely different BO105, too….
Remember all those numbers!

Regards to Spunk on this occasion.

Ever had to explain why you’re looking for that special switch in that aircraft ?
“Yeah, I have 8 ratings, haven’t flown this machine in 5 months…. and I have 10 hours in it only anyway…

That is not being a Pro!

Now shoot me!

TiPwEiGhT
26th Dec 2005, 21:14
ok! BANG!

I did all my training in Robinson's, then after my PPL(H) moved on as most people do to the R44. Then the EC120 about 2 months ago for two reasons:

1: I had to, to keep my job!
2: I want turbine time to help with future job hunting.

It's called gaining experience, everybody has to start somewhere.

So that would be 3 types on my licence, one of which I have recently qualified on. 600 hours, 20 of which are turbine.

If you are that worried about making a mistake when starting your machine I would suggest to get to know your checklists a bit better (instead of memorising LASOR's), afterall that is the whole point in having them!

Thanks again BigMike, I have dropped Chinook a line and will with this company!

Heliport
26th Dec 2005, 21:24
Canada: Training & job prospects (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116507)

GoodGrief
26th Dec 2005, 21:25
Sorry tip, no need to get angry with me.

The way you have done your things sounds good to me. Keep up the good work.
I figure since you are an instructor yourself you should know about the regs regarding type ratings.
I don't memorise LASORS, but as an IR I have to answer students questions, so I need to know them a bit.

Regarding the other part of my job: We don't use checklists, there's no time for that.
But you wil get there also.

TiPwEiGhT
26th Dec 2005, 21:34
I am with you on the checklist topic, I use it for my new type though.

However, if you have any doubts about starting the machine properly then I would get my checklist out for the extra minute it takes.

I am sure your boss and clients would rather hear:

"appologies we were a minute late"

then

"sorry but I've just cooked it"...

2PWRR
26th Dec 2005, 23:57
I have a Frozen JAR ATPL(H) and FI(H) Rating with approximently 600 hours. These have been done on 300, R22, R44, 206 and EC120.

What would I have to do to convert to Canadian CPL and also what are the job prospects over there like?

Thanks in advance guys,

Tipweight to answer your question you have to write the Canadian cplh written test then pass a flight test, reasonably straight forward however don't expect to be given the endorsements that you have on your JAR license also to get work you will need 1000+ hours bush experiance long line/ sling work .

Also anyone that wants to employ you has to get you a visa which is reasonably straight forward once you know how !

Good l 2PWRR

chopperguy
27th Dec 2005, 00:03
Anvilman,

list of schools around Toronto:

- Canadian Helicopters at Buttonville Airport (www.canadianhelicopters.com)
- National Helicopters at Bolton (10miles north of the international airport) www.nationalhelicopters.com
- Silverline Helicopters in Holland Landing(40 miles north of Toronto
www.siverlineheli.com

I am working myself part-time in the Buttonville school as a flight instructor. This school is the only one which provides accomodation for students at a reasonable price at the airport.

Check the websites and drop me a line if you need more info,
[email protected]

paco
27th Dec 2005, 02:37
You will be given as a type rating on your Canadian licence anything that is on your JAR licence, and for which you have a current LPC/OPC. Getting a type rating after that is not difficult - any Canadian commercial pilot can give you the training, then you have to find a DFTE (Designated Flight Test Examiner) or Transport Canada Inspector. In other words, you don't need a TRI/TRTO, etc. All those hours you have flown but not got a rating for will now be useful, as long as you have signatures in logbooks etc to prove their validity. Talking of which, visit a notary public with your log book and get a certificate attesting to its accuracy.

The written tests can be done at any time in any TC office, although the remoter ones like a little bit of notice. For the flight test, expect a serious grilling over a whole day.

As 2PWRR says, don't forget the Visa!

PM me for details about study materials.

Phil

Trevor KC
28th Dec 2005, 20:55
Goodgrief

So what's the difference between the start procedure for a 206 and a 407.

Thanks

2PWRR
28th Dec 2005, 21:12
Ok before we get off the subject to far! Tipweight i am currently working in Canada if you want to ask me any questions on conversion I will try to help !pm me

Now when I came to Canada I had fun with the licensing people getting all the endorsements put on my license however I now know it depends on which region you are in,

I had 60 hours on an r22 and a commercial flight test and they wouldnt give me the endorsement and all this was documented in my logbook and endorsed by a DPE (dfte) (fe)

anvilman
28th Dec 2005, 22:06
Many thanks to you all for your help, very useful indeed. I'm sure to be in touch if/when I arrive in Toronto. Have a happy and safe New Year all.

widgeon
28th Dec 2005, 23:11
We should organise a couple of drinks for the Canajun pruners when anvilman arrives.

Galapagos
29th Dec 2005, 00:37
Another place is Velocity Helicopters.

Great CFI. Worth looking into before committing to anything.

www.velocityhelicopters.com