PDA

View Full Version : Canada: Training & Employment prospects

Pages : 1 [2]

paco
29th Dec 2005, 02:07
"No time for a checklist"

Not heard that one before. Even a 206 will bite if you don't do it correctly.

Trev - the 407 has a FADEC that does the work for you. It's about the equivalent power of a 486 (if not actually one), has only one circuit board (at least on the machine I flew) and uses RS232 to speak to the engine. Talk about old technology!

2P is right about regions - I did my licence in Manitoba, and they were quite friendly. There is more on regional differences at www.undergound.tc.ca, an unofficial Transport Canada site.

Phil

scottishbeefer
5th Jan 2006, 08:07
To maintain the split in the thread...

There are several (mainly Army) QHI's in the military with 500 - 1000 hrs TT doing the job pretty well. I suspect that the requirements of civvy flying are met reasonably by the instructors you guys have out there in the "real" world.

scottishbeefer
5th Jan 2006, 08:09
Oh, PS:

Tipweight - get a sense of humour! Maybe it'll come when you pass 1000hrs!!!

Tryggvi Kornelíusson
13th Jan 2006, 12:01
hi i´m looking for a heli school in Canada who has JAR training can anyone help me
kind regards T.K

SASless
23rd Feb 2006, 02:51
In the words of several folks I know...."Lord...just one more pipeline and I promise not to piss it away this time!"

If it is like last time....I am dusting off my Truck driving license....forget the pilots license...Bull Cooks made as much or more than pilots did. (Bull Cook defined: The person who makes beds and sweeps up...washes dishes.)

Alaska Gov. Announces Gas Pipeline Deal By MATT VOLZ, Associated Press Writer
Tue Feb 21, 11:15 PM ET

Three major oil companies and state officials reached agreement Tuesday on a tax proposal aimed at bringing a long-planned $20 billion gas pipeline from Alaska's North Slope to the Midwest closer to construction.

The accord on a tax and royalties structure for developing Alaska's natural gas will hinge on the Legislature passing a new state oil production tax.

Alaska Gov. Frank Murkowski on Tuesday introduced a bill that calls for a 20 percent tax of oil companies' net profits in Alaska plus a 20 percent tax credit for reinvestment in Alaska.

For more than a year, Murkowski's negotiators have been in talks with Exxon Mobil Corp., BP PLC and ConocoPhillips under Alaska's Stranded Gas Development Act. Locking up natural gas fiscal issues with the state is one of several conditions in building the gas line, which would run along the Alaska Highway through Canada and to markets in the Midwest.

Murkowski aide Jim Clark said all the major articles of the natural gas contract proposal have been agreed upon by the three companies, and what remains is technical work and contract reviews by outside attorneys.

The oil producers will closely scrutinize the fate of Murkowski's bill before any gas contract is signed and sent for lawmakers' approval.

"We need a healthy oil business in order to move to a healthy gas business," BP spokesman Daren Beaudo said. "We view oil and gas as one package and the agreement reached with the governor is finely balanced."

Murkowski last week planned to introduce a bill to tax 25 percent of the companies' net profits, but delayed the plan after the companies requested a meeting on Monday. After that meeting, Murkowski lowered the tax rate to 20 percent.

Under the governor's tax proposal, the state would collect $773 million over the current production tax in 2007 if oil averages $60 a barrel.

The oil companies said the governor's bill fit with their needs in order to move the gas pipeline forward.

"Oil contract terms consistent with the Governor's proposed oil tax bill would provide the predictability and durability necessary to advance the gas project to the next phase," Exxon Mobil spokeswoman Susan Reeves wrote in an e-mailed response to an Associated Press query.

Legislative Democrats see it differently. The tax rates proposed are too low and it is now up to the Legislature to raise them before passing a bill, said Rep. Eric Croft, D-Anchorage, a candidate for governor.

"I think it's a sad day. One hundred thirty-nine years ago Russia sold Alaska for peanuts, and we just sold Alaska's oil for peanuts," Croft said. "I think we're going to get a gut check on this Legislature and finally find out who owns this state."

House Minority Leader Ethan Berkowitz, a Democrat running for governor, said he believed the governor caved to pressure by the oil industry in lowering the proposed tax rates.

If Murkowski had stayed with the original 25 percent tax rate, another $300 million would be added that number, said Pedro van Meurs, the governor's lead oil and gas consultant.

But Senate President Ben Stevens said the tax proposal is not just about boosting tax revenue, but also for making Alaska an attractive investment.

George Semel
23rd Feb 2006, 03:01
Yea, I seen that. Even if the State and the Oil companies come to an agreement, you then have the Enviromentlists Not only in Alaska jump up and down about it, but you would also have the Canadians too. Ok if they are able to get the go it will be another 15 years before they even lay the first pipe. By then I will be well pass 65 years of age. Then again, it may happen quicker. But in this age I would not hold my breath, that this will save a helicopter pilots retirement.

terrorteen
11th Mar 2006, 09:50
A little advise needed from those that have done it.

Is it worth giving up a stable flying job that pays reasonably well (salary) ,and is with a great company, to go to Canada and do a season over there. Always wanted to do it but is the experience and the money worth it, considering I have other mouths to feed as well.

Any advise is appreciated.

Terror :)

albatross
11th Mar 2006, 10:56
That all depends.
Is the job in Canada a sure thing? In Writing?
Is it something challenging which will give you a new skill set?
Will that new skill set be of use when you return to your point of departure?
If so perhaps the company you are now with will, in view of the Canadian Fount of knowledge you will be drinking from, give you a leave of absence to allow you to do this - a win, win situation.

paco
11th Mar 2006, 13:16
No!

I'd certainly go over in your leave and make some contacts and make yourself available in the next year's leave to relieve timex pilots over the fire season, but don't leave that secure job just yet. You will need to find a company that's willing to put you through the other training BS, like WHMIS, Dangerous goods, etc., but it's worth the effort if you do it properly. I would probably leave it until you are between jobs.

There are loads of your countrymen working there - try talking to them first, if you can find them.

Good luck!

Phil

remote hook
12th Mar 2006, 01:57
Go for it, you only live once. Assuming you qualify, there are loads of jobs coming up each week these days.
RH

notnoz
12th Mar 2006, 03:00
Terror,

Yes, there are loads of jobs assuming you have the right crudentials and yes it is a great experience. Some of the best and most challenging flying you'll probably ever do.

Just remember that the work is 'seasonal', around six months in general getting down to only a few months right up north. You'll need atleast a couple of weeks to do a conversion and another couple of weeks to get your work visa (sponsorship) processed once you find a job. With airfares, accom, food, training, exams, etc you won't get much change out of 10,000 canadian before you have even started working. Given all that you should be getting over there about now or you'll miss the boat!

Realistically you really need to give it a couple of years to make it worthwhile. The first year you'll be doing all the paperwork, etc and finding your feet in a new environment while the second and beyond you'll find you can really get your teeth into something and then make some money. Don't think of it as a quick trip where you'll make loads of money and then come home smiling, it doesn't work like that! Some companies do also work thru the winters if you like freezing your arse off!

Best of luck!

skidbiter123
13th Mar 2006, 08:34
I went over for a look last year around this time, started to convert my licence, then was told that due to insurance requirements, I would need 1500 hours. I only had 180ish and a licence with wet ink, so I had a holiday in Hawaii :cool: and came home again!

The guys I talked to over there all had good things to say about flying there, and pay rates. I have now started the long, slow task of building hours, and fully intend to head back once I have some more.

Best of luck.

terrorteen
13th Mar 2006, 08:56
Thanks for the advise so far. I have over 2500hrs so far in various types of machines. I realise it is probably to late to head over now but will work towards the following season. It is one of those things that you have to give it a go at some time or you will end up kicking yourself in years to come.

Terror

219joochiat
23rd May 2006, 15:19
Hi guys (and gals??)
I am not too much into choppers, but am looking for some flight schools informations in Canada for a relative.
I talked to a couple and found out Helicraft was not too bad. Could not find more infos using the search engine.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

ayaarr
23rd May 2006, 17:04
http://www.chinookhelicopters.com/

paco
23rd May 2006, 17:47
Bighorn at Springbank

Phil

Galapagos
24th May 2006, 01:07
http://www.velocityhelicopters.com/

Best CFI you'll find. Ask for Gerard...

G

Cyclic Hotline
24th May 2006, 01:37
BC Helicopters, Abbotsford, BC.

Excellent school. Top quality instruction and always, brand new Schweizer 300CBi's to fly.

Abbotsford is an excellent location. Large airfield, relatively busy, with good on field training areas available as well as in the surrounding areas with great mountain flying in the immediate vicinity. Right on the US border and close to Vancouver, as well as all the other fabulous attractions of BC and Washington.

If they can teach someone like me to fly, then what better recommendation could possibly exist? :uhoh:

http://www.bchelicopters.com/

dogsleigh
24th May 2006, 02:58
Premier Helicopter Training. On the 47 G4, the school to go for operational training , tell your friend to rent a car and go to the other two that are close by (Chinook and BC Heli) and make an informed decision

dogsleigh

shadey
16th Jun 2006, 12:08
Hi

I was reading the verticalmag news and they have a short article on www.flythesky.ca (http://www.flythesky.ca/). These guys are offering to train you as a commercial pilot over the period of 2 years for CAN$5,350. They do not offer too much detail but it sounds too good to be true. If you factor in living expenses it still seems reasonable. I can't help thinking what is the catch?

Does anyone know anything about this outfit?

I must say it has the makings of a good idea, as it will enable people to enter the industry without selling their house and betting it on a slim chance they can get a job as a low-hours pilot.

I am doing my PPL(H) in the UK at the moment, but I hope to start my CPL(H) in Canada next year and go on to work and live in Canada so I am looking for the best way to do it, but being a bit of a cynical Brit I am a bit cautious about these sorts of offers.:suspect:

thecontroller
16th Jun 2006, 12:18
beware flight school claims. in canada: no turbine time + no work visa = no job, unless you like sweeping floors for 2 years first

shadey
16th Jun 2006, 14:36
I have applied to the skiled immigration program, I expect to hear from the Canadian goverment in 27 months or less (hopefully) then I can come and work.

Thanks for the tip on turbine time 'the controller' How many hours are we talking? I am quite handy with a broom, ;) but I prefer using a cyclic :ok:

Hughesy
12th Aug 2006, 22:46
Hi.
Just wondering if anybody knows of Helicopter companies in Canada's east coast that may be looking for full time pilot?
Cheers
Hughesy

loachboy
13th Aug 2006, 10:59
Hello all,
This topic has been covered it seems like a thousand times. I know.

I hold an Australian CPLH, and am looking for some advice from any Aussies / Kiwis out there that have, gone to Canada / USA to work. Including License conversions, Exmas, Medicals, etc etc whatever is required and what needs to be done and how to do it. I'm a low time guy with under 500 hours, but I'm looking more at what to do when I get the time in the Log Book

Thanks to all in advance.

Constructive advice / experiences only.

Thanks in advance.

Loachster

:ugh:

Fun Police
13th Aug 2006, 12:14
i'm not sure about conversions etc. but i would suggest that you give bailey helicopters in ft. st. john, british columbia a call. i know that they have brought a few of you down under types on an will put you to work in the oil patch, forestry, general charter stuff. they have some r44's and some nice, recent b2's among other things.
doug parrish is the CP's name and he pretty much runs the operation as far as i am aware.

DeltaNg
15th Nov 2006, 23:08
Anybody got any views on the merits of this company? :cool:

Super 61
16th Nov 2006, 00:18
I worked for Helijet from 99 to 01. Great company. Excellent people, some of the best pilots and engineers I have met in the industry so far. Excellent IF experience, excellent training, a great place to build solid IF and night time. The aircraft are getting older, but are very well maintained, and the pay is not the best. However if you want a nice schedule, home every night you can't beat Helijet.:ok:

DeltaNg
16th Nov 2006, 08:23
Thanks Super61 ! :)

kjw57
17th Nov 2006, 13:37
Good folks have known the ops manager for quite awhile, was interviewed and hired but didn't go as my financial requirements didn't match the pay offered. Too bad as there would have been loads of IMC conditions to fly in.

shadey
29th Nov 2006, 11:05
I have resolved to become a Commercial Pilot in Canada. I have just attained my JAR PPL(H) in the UK. Would anyone be interested in me making posts of my personal experience as I progress down what seems to be a difficult and expensive path?

I can tell the story so far and plans and then give updates as and when.

Just don't want to waste my typing stuff that nobody wants to read.:ugh:

Cheers

Shadey

tony 1969
10th Dec 2006, 10:35
BC Helicopters, Abbotsford, BC.
Excellent school. Top quality instruction and always, brand new Schweizer 300CBi's to fly.
Abbotsford is an excellent location. Large airfield, relatively busy, with good on field training areas available as well as in the surrounding areas with great mountain flying in the immediate vicinity. Right on the US border and close to Vancouver, as well as all the other fabulous attractions of BC and Washington.
If they can teach someone like me to fly, then what better recommendation could possibly exist? :uhoh:
http://www.bchelicopters.com/
I agree wholeheartedly:ok:

T. Rousseau
15th Dec 2006, 09:20
Hi
Is there anyone on the forum who has been through the process of obtaining a temporary work permit to Canada? Not through a Canadian company but a personal process.
I have read the immigration website and the procedure is listed, but I am wondering if there are many delays, or if there are procedures to expedite the issue... etcetera. Or if the procedure was more or less painless.
I do not wish to go to Canada permanently, just to do some occasional seismic-drill work when my normal job is slowed down.
I have a company that will sponsor me, but that means I am tied to them. I do not want this as this is a limitation for looking for the best available pay.
Thank you for any advice.
TR

Winnie
15th Dec 2006, 16:53
Unfortunately you will be tied to one company.

I have had work permits with three different companies in Canada, and the immigration people seem to be very up front and helpful, and there is none of the nonsense you have in the states as with regards to attorneys and so on.

It took 5 weeks from applying to receiving my first work permit. I was in Norway at the time and had to apply to the Canadian High Commission in London. Subsequently it has usually taken from 3 to 8 weeks, depending upon the time of year I have applied. My current work permit is valid for 3 years, and I will be applying for permanent residency unless I find a job in europe soon.

Hope this helps
Cheers
W.

T. Rousseau
16th Dec 2006, 09:23
Thanks Winnie. Check your PM's

2PWRR
16th Dec 2006, 18:00
Hey Winnie give me an email I am stuck in Arkansas lol and bored !!!

RickD
13th Jan 2007, 21:34
Dear Friends,
1. Is an FAA 2000 hr 206 & 407 pilot with less than 10 mountain hrs. employable in British Columbia this 2007 season ? if I take "an approved BCFS Mountain Flying Course?" I'm already briefed on the FAA to CAA CPL transition (tough written test and not so tough checkride).
2.Which British Columbia Mountain Course is the best/most respected, CHC or Chinook. The CHC School has got to be the gold standard up there, right ?
3.Does anyone out there know the cost of the CHC Standard Mountain Flying Course I "for pilots current in 206B, basic and advanced mountain flying procedures, 4 days ground school & 22 flight hours, 15-21 days" (it's Saturday and there's no one there).
Thanx, Rick
California
[email protected]

malabo
13th Jan 2007, 23:34
#1. I would make an educated guess of Yes. 300 hour pilots are picking and chosing who they want to work for, you have 2000.

#2. If you want to fly in BC, the Chinook course is as good as any, probably better than most. They do mountain/recurrency training for a lot of commercial operators that found out the hard way that they should leave training to professionals. They also train Transport Canada inspectors. Plus they can convert your FAA license to Canadian.

There is no CHC school. CHC only has one helicopter in Canada - a 332L1 in Halifax. You must be thinking of Canadian Helicopters in Penticton. They have good credibility internationally, but are only considered average for the BC market, and some operators even feel their training isn't rooted in the real world (after your eighth "dumbell" turn around a landing sight, your passenger will have decided to contract someone else next time). They are also expensive, which doesn't matter if some government is paying for it but we presume this is coming out of your own pocket.

#3 Maybe somebody will post the price of the Canadian Helicopters course and the Chinook course (I'm offshore right now). Both will probably seem cheap compared to what they gouge you in Europe. Used to be 25% cheaper than the US, but the exchange has gone up.

malabo

chester2005
14th Jan 2007, 05:00
#1. I would make an educated guess of Yes. 300 hour pilots are picking and chosing who they want to work for, you have 2000

Just curious but is this a serious statement or tongue in cheek?

Would a FAA CPL/IR(H) with 350 hours total with 50hours B206 stand a chance of getting work in Canada this year?

How difficult is it for a Brit to work in Canada, Visas,work permits etc.

Regards Chester:ok:

Quichotte
14th Jan 2007, 08:48
Can someone explain me why a pilot need in Canada this mountain course? Is it a question of insurance, better job chances or is it prohibited to fly in mountains not holding such a course?

In Switzerland a pilot is not allowed to land in mountains above round about 3500ft don't having such a mountain course. 200 approaches at least 20h, really expensive.

Does someone know if the swiss course is convertible to canadian rules? Could not find in the CARs such a point "foreign mountain licences".

paco
14th Jan 2007, 12:42
A "suitable" mountain course is required by the various forestry companies, particularly BC and Alberta, who keep a log of pilots so qualified. Transport Canada do not require a course to fly in mountains as such, although they do designate Mountainous areas with rules about how to operate in them. There is no laid down syllabus, but a suggested length of course is 21 hours, containing the usual stuff. There are various schools who carry out training to varying degrees of quality, and, as I said in a previous thread, there is more to mountain flying than just landing in esoteric spots, and you need to ensure that your school gives you a proper armoury of tools to work with, rather than just saying "that's what we teach here".

If you can demonstrate proper experience, such as flying for several years in Austria, or a military course plus other experience (in my own case, flying a Beaver in the Rockies, plus my AAC training) it will usually be accepted without question. Your Swiss experience would most likely be acceptable, although this is finally down to the Forestry people. There's no harm in going to a school like Chinook to do your conversion to the Canadian licence and getting a quick topup at the end.

It's just another one of those hurdles that appear just after you thought you'd finished!

phil

RickD
14th Jan 2007, 22:48
Mr. Malabo, thanx for the clarification about the advanced flight school in Penticton (Canadian Helicopters is not the same as CHC, got it) and your comments about Chinook, I'm calling them and BC Helicopters tomorrow. I email applied to seven BC (or Alberta) companies yesterday from Abitibi to VIH.
Paco, thanx for the excellent comments about mountain time and the importance of training but they bring up another question for you or anyone:
To fly (US) Forestry/Department of the Interior jobs in the US you must have the OAS card as we all know, which requires 200 hrs mountain/rough terrain time (which I don't have, I'm a Gulf of Mexico pilot). Is there any similar hour-based experience requirement in Canada ? You imply there isn't when you stated "Transport Canada does not require a course to fly in mountains as such..." ie. does Transport Canada or typical British Columbia (forestry) customers require any hour-based mountain or rough terrain pilot experience ?

Thanx

paco
14th Jan 2007, 23:44
Not as far as I know, but my last season there was 2003 - it may have changed. As far as I am aware, a suitable mountain course is all that's required, and your company will forward your details to the forestry people.

Phil

elena
15th Jan 2007, 14:12
#1. I would make an educated guess of Yes. 300 hour pilots are picking and chosing who they want to work for, you have 2000.

#2. If you want to fly in BC, the Chinook course is as good as any, probably better than most. They do mountain/recurrency training for a lot of commercial operators that found out the hard way that they should leave training to professionals. They also train Transport Canada inspectors. Plus they can convert your FAA license to Canadian.

There is no CHC school. CHC only has one helicopter in Canada - a 332L1 in Halifax. You must be thinking of Canadian Helicopters in Penticton. They have good credibility internationally, but are only considered average for the BC market, and some operators even feel their training isn't rooted in the real world (after your eighth "dumbell" turn around a landing sight, your passenger will have decided to contract someone else next time). They are also expensive, which doesn't matter if some government is paying for it but we presume this is coming out of your own pocket.

#3 Maybe somebody will post the price of the Canadian Helicopters course and the Chinook course (I'm offshore right now). Both will probably seem cheap compared to what they gouge you in Europe. Used to be 25% cheaper than the US, but the exchange has gone up.

malabo

Hi Malabo,
Are you there?
I mean in Obiang's country...:confused:

Agusta
15th Jan 2007, 14:57
It’s been my ambition for some time to work in Canada, I would like to work in the helicopter industry in Western/Northern Canada. My work background is with both helicopter, A109’s, B206, As350/355’s, R22/R44’s, setting up temporary heliports ect. and executive fixwing, on the ramp and within an FBO/flight planning roll.

What are the job prospect like for anyone from the UK, where should I place my resume online where it will get seen and where should I look for the best place to find a vacancy; I already advertise myself on AeroAds, is this a good place?

Can anyone please advise me?

Many thanks

Fun Police
15th Jan 2007, 16:42
usually the way someone gets hired in canada is with or after a face-to-face meeting. there are so many low-time pilots trying to get a foot in the door that competition is very stiff. operators generally don't pay any attention to resumes faxed or emailed for entry level positions.
however, it can't hurt. if you are so inclined i would send a resume to Helijet in vancouver. they run a scheduled airline service and operate 76's and a 61. ramp positions are sometimes available in vancouver and victoria.
perhaps some of the IFR operators on the east coast will have similar oppprtunities.
hopefully, this will help.

Agusta
15th Jan 2007, 17:22
Thank you for the advice 'Fun Police', Helijet is on my list to contact also been looking at the RCMP but I need to be a Canadian citizen for that, this would not be a problem for me. I am planning to go to Canada this year to look around for a job.

I would not mind working in Big White area. My friend is heading there as I speak to meet up with his son who is working a bar there. So if you go into one of the bars and come across a young Brit it could be him, Nick Floyer.

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Fun Police
15th Jan 2007, 17:51
i used to live out west but no more. i am a little out of touch with the local operators in the okanagan, but i can tell you that it is a beautiful area with lots to do. you will enjoy it very much.
good luck.

embrunman
16th Jan 2007, 14:19
Well, as a start, do you have the right to live and work in Canada?
Before looking for a job, that's the obvious question.
If not, why asking for jobs, no need of placing your resume anywhere...
Better ask/search, how can I legally work/immigrate to Canada :hmm:

murdock
16th Jan 2007, 22:53
Yeah, making sure you have the ability to work there to start with is always a good idea. I know most people in the UK can get a work permit for a year, but you will find it very difficult to convince Canadian operrators to hire you for a year over hiring a Canadian. With the posibilities of getting work sponsorship, you would need to have worked there aleady or have a lot of experience under your belt. Most Canadian operators are partial to a bakground knowledge of working in the bush, and I will tell you now, you would never get sponsored to work there with anything less than 1000 hours time under your belt, unless you were blessed with magic horse shoes up your ass.

However, saying all this, work prospects are good in Canada these days, with there being such a demand for engineers and pilots, although the demand always quotes "experienced" of those.

Helijet is usually looking for pilots with IFR and ATPL, and of course you will have to have your Canadian licenses to work in an C-reg aircraft. Be aware though, that Helijet will not pay you much of anything at all, and you will have to live in Vancouver, which is no cheap place to live in by any means. The good part about getting on with Helijet, is that they are tied to CHC now, for their co-pilots. so once you get time on their 76's you can go work next door for CHC International if thats a route you wanna go.
Good luck with it all.

Bravo73
17th Jan 2007, 09:06
murdock,

Read the thread title again. Agusta isn't looking for a flying or engineering job - he's looking for 'ground-handling' type work.

Great gen though, otherwise! :ok:

murdock
17th Jan 2007, 09:25
My bad!!! Just picked up on that now. Sorry Agusta. Went on a pointless rant there then. Well so long as you can legally work in Canada, then you can talk to all sorts of companies for a ground job. Just dont expect to make much money.

Good Luck again.

Salusa
17th Jan 2007, 10:24
First step is to get the right to live and work in Canada, then look for a job.

No offence, but unless you have 'professional' qualifications either as a pilot or engineer then it may be easier looking for another route in.

Learn to speak French to, it can tip the scale in the 'points' and looks good on a CV. A non-aviation friend of mine emigrated to Canada, and what finally swung it was the fact she took a part time A level course in French. Took her about 2 years from application to emigrating.

rotornut
17th Jan 2007, 14:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A47Vs2Uc3bg

Still want to work in Canada?:eek:

shadey
4th May 2007, 12:13
Having read a lot of the posts on this site and read articles in verticalmag and helicopters and spoken to the very helpful folks and Heli-College. I am still a little confused about the route one takes to get a job in Canada.:ugh:

Here are the options that I understand are available to me.

a. Get CPL(H), build hours, get Instructor rating, teach until you have 1000hrs+ then look for commercial work. happy days. (Source Helicopters Magazine Article)

b. Get CPL (H), become a 'hanger dog / rat' and earn your 'spurs', once you have 1000hrs+ you get to drop the hanger dog / rat / bunny title. happy days. Source everyone else I speak to / read.

Can anyone clarify?

I thought is wise to see if a. I liked it and b. I could do it, before setting the wheels in motion on the emigrating to Canada bit so I have a JAR PPL(H) and arguably more money than sense. :ok:

somepitch
6th May 2007, 20:12
shadey,

your option "a" is much more uncommon here in canada than in the US. most of the instructors (in BC at least) are experienced operational bush/mountain pilots who instruct in the off-season. this puts the quality of instruction for student pilots right at the top of the heap, but rules out most of the jobs for low-time instructors.

most companies here hire either people that have "put their time in" as a hangar rat or ground crewman, as they get a chance to see the personality and work ethic of the individual. an alternative to the ground crew/hangar position would be to apply to be a logging co-pilot (or "seat-meat"), which has been a stepping stone to a flying job for many a low-time pilot. from what i hear it becomes expensive with all the new underwear you're buying all the time though...

hope i helped a bit.

shadey
11th May 2007, 13:52
Thanks 'somepitch' . That is two options for me which is more than I had the other day. As 'helicopters' is a second career for me hopefully I can demonstrate my 'work ethic' quite quickly or buy a job lot of boxer shorts :) if that does not work out.

cougar77
13th May 2007, 07:45
I am considering 3 choices as to which is the best option to take regardinging settling down and getting a job in Canada. Any advice is much appreciated. PM me if required.

Is it difficult to obtain employment sponsorship?

1. Family sponsored migration (have relatives who are canadian citizens)
2. Skilled migration
3. Employer sponsored migration

I am 44 yrs old, hold FAA ATP(H), CASA CPL(H), CPL(A), IREX, Instructor rating, 5000plus total hrs (3750hrs multi-heli and 300hrs NVG) with valid class 1 medicals.

heliduck
21st Jun 2007, 07:00
I've thought about it, talked about, asked about it & worried about it. Now the time for talk is over & I'm off to Canada to convert my Australian licence to Canadian & launch myself into the Canadian job market.
I've got a school selected & the airfares sorted, but the work permit process has me a bit worried. I'm over 31 years old so from my understanding I need to convert my licence, get a job offer in writing & then come back to Australia & apply for the permit, which could take up to 4 weeks.

Any advice on how to make this run smoothly would be appreciated as I'd like to learn from others mistakes.

I'm targeting turbine bush work with lots of external loads & any leads on companies to target will be rewarded with copious ales when we meet in the Canadian wilderness!!!

P.S. - I LOVE maple syrup!!!

paco
21st Jun 2007, 07:05
The job offer has to aome after a period of advertising during which no Canadian must come forward instead - this I think is three months, so get started early!

One trick that landed immigrants used to use is to apply in their country, get a transaction number, then go to canada anyway and present the number to the nearest immigration office. no guarantees, but often the paperwork can be transferred.

Good luck - you will enjoy the season! PM me if you want to know about companies, etc

phil

heliduck
21st Jun 2007, 07:42
Thanks Paco. I'll investigate thoroughly your suggestion, & please check your PM's. Thanks.

the delaminator
21st Jun 2007, 23:58
There are a lot of Australians working now in Canada. Canadian Helicopters has so many they have changed their logo to a Boomerang.

VIH is also hiring alot of Aukers. Fact is there are more jobs than pilots so come on down. Or up as the case may be.:ok:

Auscan
22nd Jun 2007, 03:50
"Actually Maam........The data on the Mig is inaccurate!" You can be in Canada and apply without heading back to Australia. My advice is to approach a couple of compannies that have their own immigration lawyers. ie Great Slave Helicopters or Airborne Energy Solutions. If you have any amount of hours > 1000 they will probably supply you with a letter of offer. Good enough to get the ball rolling. Things seem to go much faster when you are in country. Best of luck. No shortage of work here.

shadey
22nd Jun 2007, 10:47
Heliduck

I am planning on doing similar, except I will be starting at the bottom. I have a PPL(H) and 90hrs total time. I am planning to start my CPL(H) in BC at the end of August with a view to get work in 2008.

It would be great to know how you get on.

Cheers:Dand good luck

Heli-kiwi
22nd Jun 2007, 11:30
Me too, but with 180 hours and an engineering licence. Will go over late Jan early Feb get converted and hopefully get in early on the job front.I reckon you just have to be the guy knocking on doors at the right time to get a foot in.
I would like to hear how things go for you.
Good luck with it.

paco
22nd Jun 2007, 13:34
shadey, if you haven't already booked your school, include premier in pitt meadows in your deliberations. They have had many people through the CPL(H) ride in 80 hours.

phil

heliduck
22nd Jun 2007, 15:33
Thanks Auscan - interesting.
I've 2500 hrs & I have already started ringing operators to get my name out there. I was going to go over in March but I think I'll have to go a bit earlier to give myself a bit more time to get the paperwork sorted. I pride myself on my professionalism & the way I look after the machines I fly, but it's pretty hard to get that message across to someone from the opposite side of the world!!
I have a lot at stake & can't afford to get this wrong so keep the advice coming brothers!!!!:ok:

volition
22nd Jun 2007, 15:35
Hey Paco,
I have 200 hours and I want to to my ATPL (H) Canadian written tests, do I have to go to a flight school, or do they have books with simulated exams that I could do myself?

paco
22nd Jun 2007, 15:58
'sfunny you should mention that, there is a book for self study - check your PMs! However, you need a bit more than 200 hours, unless you actually mean 2000! You also need a type rating on a multi-pilot helicopter.

You will still have to get a flight school to sign you off for the skill test though.

phil

volition
22nd Jun 2007, 18:28
Yea, I have 200 hours, but the writtens you can do them at anytime without any signoff.

remote hook
22nd Jun 2007, 19:48
For some strange reason, I feel this needs to be said, not that it'll change anything....

Let me start by saying I've worked in other countries in the past, and generally support movement among nations. HOWEVER, there are an unbelievable number of Aussies and Kiwis flying now in Canada, and not all of them a) are what they say they are, b) filling a niche market that there are no other Canadians available for, and c) often working for wages that are not up to what experienced Canadian pilots are trying to make the norm.

Now, I'm not painting ALL foreign workers with the same brush, and as I said, if there's a position requiring a skill set that is not available locally, super. I am however starting to see more and more low-time pilots flooding into Canada, and for some inexplicable reason, they're being hired into entry level(or close to) positions. This is not what should be happening.

So, if you are low time <1000hrs, and you come to Canada, find out what the going rate is from someone, and don't accept less - if you do, you're helping nobody but yourself. That's the least you can contribute.

Some of my best friends are from those two nations, so I'm not anti-anything other than letting perfectly good local labour go unused.

RH

murdock
23rd Jun 2007, 00:49
Heliduck - send me a PM and I can give you all the info you need on companies hiring and how to get a work permit in thw quickets way. Also have info on the quickest and cheapest way through the schools if you are converting. Since the summer has just started in Canada, you have loads of time to get ready if you are heading over there for next spring.

havick
23rd Jun 2007, 03:36
remotehook, I couldn't agree more.. I am waiting about another 12 months before I shift across, so I at least have approx 1500 - 2000 hours PIC by that stage...

flyheli
23rd Jun 2007, 17:15
Hey Heliduck,

there are lots of foreigners here in Canada flying for various companies. I'm from Austria and just went through the whole process this winter so if you have specific questions pm me any time!
Requirements went up a bit this year due to customer requirements but with 2500hrs you are on the safe side.

cheers,
flyheli

CHOPPER74
29th Jun 2007, 11:05
So the hours that you need to go over there, do they need to be turbine, or can you get away with piston engine only, just say 1500 PIC

nuthin
10th Jul 2007, 00:03
Can anyone provide a rundown of the salaries one could expect
in Canada.
I will be there next season too and half the reason is better pay than
what I get NZ.

I will have close to 2000hrs with 1200 turb and 500 AS350

Cheers

flyheli
10th Jul 2007, 00:59
Canadian Helicopters pays full time base pilots around 3000 base salary plus 51 per flight hour... at some locations you also get a remote base allowance.
Not sure on the pay for contractors.

I would be interested as well how much other companies pay.

cheers,
flyheli

Heliringer
10th Jul 2007, 01:48
I will be 40 next year, is that too old for a season in Canada? I cant find an age limit on the work permit site.
1500 TT 350 turbine are these figures ok for job hunting over there or too low?

mustering guru
10th Jul 2007, 05:14
the cut of is 31 for the work holliday visa..youll have to come over do the conversion find a job and get them to sponser you..can take up to 6 weeks while your here but they usually do all your training...the regime is MUCH better than OZ

GTNav
10th Jul 2007, 22:02
Lots of advice here for people moving about. The world is a geat big village but sadly I see some of the villagers are less friendly then others.
Here is my advice, go to Canada, do your conversions etc and aim to be finished by Nov the preceeding year. Great weather in most parts to get the trg done (VAncouver). Then go on a road trip to target a few companies and most of the good ones have already been mentioned.
Then head home for Xmas, hopefully leaving the paperwork in the system applying for your right to work as no canadian is available.
Head back to Canada in late Jan, hopefully with your HRC letter in your hand and at port of entry you can get your work visa and you are off early on the season. If you try and do it whilst staying in Canada you will officially need to go to either New York State or Seatle. I say officially as there are ways round this but not always guarranteed.
As for wages, that is a whole new topic but....most chief pilots are canadian and they are the ones making the job offers so the question is who is letting canadian pilots down?? The highly paid employer or the desperate for work employed?? There are plenty of canadians doing the undercutting thing as well!! A quick look at the IFR world (Helijet), ground crew (100 hour heli pilots) or Westjet wages will back this up.
Very rarely comment on this website but the coffee is stronger today and I am a bit hyper!!

flyheli
11th Jul 2007, 02:26
No worries.... the company I work for hired pilots in their mid 50s...
1500 is a good number.... lots of clients have a 1500hr minimum for pilots.

Make sure you have a 206 or AS350 endorsement/rating on your Canadian license.

good luck,
flyheli

turbinturbin
15th Jul 2007, 04:39
After reasearch on the net about Canadian companies and their operations and reading this thread and similar on other forums a season in Canada seems temptimg.
Lots of helpful information here but still got some questions:

How long will it typically take to do the conversion?

Will typeratings (JAA) automatically be converted or do you have to do a skilltest for each of them?

Holding your canadian license, how hard is it to get a new type rating? Would you have to do it at a FTO/TRTO ending with a skill test or could a instructor/chief pilot train you and approve you?

Answer these and more might follow ;)

david_in_nz
15th Jul 2007, 05:07
Ok my first post so hear goes,

Have now been working in canada for 3 months since converting my NZ licence over. I Had 1800 hours when I came over.

Work visa application. I had to get a employer here in canada as I am over 31 to apply to HRSDC for a confirmation letter from Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC), Then I took this letter and had to apply out of country ie to the Canadian Immigration office in Sydney for my work visa. The whole process took 3 months.

This is the site that explains it all, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/work/index.asp

Once here I went to Chinook Helicopters and did my conversion just out of Vancouver in BC http://www.chinookhelicopters.com/

These guys converted about 40 Kiwi and Oz licences this season and did about the same number last year. So they have it fully sorted, It takes two weeks from start to finish Canadaian licence in hand.

Hope this helps

Gas Producer
15th Jul 2007, 08:33
david in nz,

Check you private messages - let me know.

GP

paco
15th Jul 2007, 09:23
tutbinturbin

When you arrive in Canada and convert your licence, Transport will accept any current PPC for an instant type rating. Otherwise, any Canadian commercial pilot (that is anyone with at least a Canadian CPL) WITH OVER 10 HOURS ON TYPE can do the training for a type rating and sign you off. You can either do your skill test in it, a PPC or undergo a qualifiying flight:

CARs 421.40(3)

(g) Helicopter - One Pilot

Within the 12 months preceding the application for the rating, an applicant for an individual aircraft type rating for a helicopter with a minimum flight crew requirement of one pilot shall have successfully completed:

(i) a flight test, on the helicopter type, for the issue of a Private or Commercial Pilot Licence - Helicopter; or

(ii) a Pilot Proficiency Check on the helicopter type; or

(iii) a qualifying flight under the supervision of a person qualified in accordance with CAR 425.21(7)(b):

(b) in the case of training for a holder of a helicopter pilot permit or pilot licence:

(i) be the holder of a Commercial Pilot Licence - Helicopter or an Airline Transport Pilot Licence - Helicopter; and

(ii) have experience of not less than 10 hours flight time on the type of helicopter used for the training;

If you are abroad, lots of official stamps on the form from your Chief Pilot is acceptable!

I did my conversion in less than 5 hours, and you will need some training material for the licence exams - PM me for details.

Phil

helibee
28th Jul 2007, 19:36
Gidday rotorheads , can you please help me with some some company names / emails for Canada / Alaska , as i am looking for contract work over that way for the 08 season
cheers
safe flying :}

paco
29th Jul 2007, 00:47
Helicopters magazine publishes a directory of all Canadian operators, what they fly, phone numbers etc.

www.canada411.ca (may be .com) is the national telephone directory.

phil

O/S and BLEEDS
3rd Aug 2007, 10:48
Hi,
Have done a bit of a search but can't find anything. Can someone point me in the right direction or previousthreads. I am looking for some info on what I need to do to be able to work in Canada.I have Oz ATPL, IR, Twin Time, etc.
Thanks in advance.:ok:

osab

Canuck Guy
3rd Aug 2007, 14:44
Think all you'd need is a work visa, and to convert your ATPL and IR to Canadian licences and you're good to go.

O/S and BLEEDS
11th Aug 2007, 01:26
Does anybody know if Steve 76 is still around?

ospeed

HeliHamo
29th Aug 2007, 23:30
Hi guys first post finally took the plunge!! Going to Canada next year with 3000+ hrs, Oz CPLH.
All R22 & R44, mustering and couple hundred powerline patrolling in R44. Aiming to get into bush work and longlining. Anyone got info on companys that take guys with a few hours but no turbine time?
HELIDUCK would like to get in touch sounds like your going the same way would you mind if i PM you.
Cheers guys!!! :ok:.

wde
30th Aug 2007, 03:05
Canadian Helicopters has openings for Pool - Bell 212 IFR Captains & First Officers to fill our continuing expansion in western Canada in the Oil and Gas sector. Candidates should be prepared to work on other aircraft types if and when required.
Captains:
Valid Airline Transport Pilot License Helicopter;
3000 hours total helicopter, 1500 hours multi-engine Pilot In Command (maximum 1/3 may be “In Command Under Supervision”), 100 hours Bell 212 Pilot In Command
First Officers:
Valid Commercial Pilot License – Helicopter
ATPL-H exams written and passed in the last 12 months, 500 hours total helicopter, 50 hours Bell 212
Qualifications:
Group IV Instrument Rating;
Unrestricted Night Rating;
Arctic Winter experience considered an asset;
Good communication skills and a positive attitude required;
Ability to work within a group environment.
PM me for more info and I will forward additional information and email addresses for Resumes. I believe tha there are 7 positions open.
wde

nuthin
30th Aug 2007, 14:24
HeliHamo.
I have just converted my license and am lining up work for March 08.
Yes your 3000 hours will get you work somewhere.I would talk to some companies to see if its worth getting a BH06 rating also as its where most new pilots start.
I do caution you about your mustering background as it has made the conversion process hard for alot of Aussies. Get your your head in the books again and learn to fly slow like you did at flight school!

Hughesy
30th Aug 2007, 19:30
I have to agree with Nuthin on that one.
They dont take kindly to cowboys (not saying you are, but us Kiwi's and Aussie's are all painted with the same damm brush!, My training Capt up here gave me a 10 min lecture over "bloody NZer's and Aussies.....blah blah blah")
Leave the animals alone also, BIG BIG no no on chasing them up here! One guy here chased a bear from a camp and was apperantly pretty much pushing her (and she had cubs) under the lake with his skids! Ex musterer also. Said pilot is a :mad::mad: If he got reported....bye bye job!!
Guys like that give us all a BAD NAME!!!!!!!!!

HeliHamo
30th Aug 2007, 23:21
Thanks for the advice guys, was thinking about getting the BH06 rating once i get to Canada.
Nuthin, you said you were "lining up work for March 08", should i be aiming to get there to start the conversion in Febuary or is early March ok as this is when i was intending to begin.
I realise the whole mustering background thing tars me with a bloody big brush, but i have to say that i don't really consider my self a cowboy as i was lucky enough to work for a pretty good operator who beleived in safty first and wouldn't really tolerate any crap like pushing cattle around with a skid.
Anyway probaly getting off on the wrong track here, appreciate anything else you have to say on changing over the licence and dates etc.

nuthin
31st Aug 2007, 02:26
I was recommended Chinook Helicopters.I would recommend them.They do loads of conversions and if they like you they may hook you up with work.
The earlier you can get here the better.
I came now to scope out a good place to start as I am bringing my family over.
There is definitely demand here, Its nice to be wanted and I only have 1500hrs.
Call Chinook now as they are super busy. There is alot of study material online.
Try the transport Canada website.Half the publications they use here are
available there. Goolgle PStar for a good start in regs.
Luck

HeliHamo
31st Aug 2007, 03:22
Thanks for the heads up nuthin. Already spoke to Lyn at chinook, she was really helpful and said they would fit me in when i get there.
I will definetly look up the online study material as i am a bit rusty on the theory side of things.
Thanks again.

ferny300
31st Aug 2007, 08:15
hi guys, i can see there is lots going on in canada, any body knows anywhere i can start cleaning helicopters and do one flight once in a while?:ugh:

thanks

Hughesy
31st Aug 2007, 15:56
Hey Ferny, and others who are interested.
Yes there is alot of work available in Canada, but more so with guys with experience that are able to fill a gap in the market. There are alot if guys up here with fresh CPL's and who are trying to get their foot in the door. To be completely honest, they will hire a Canadian over a foreign pilot if both are trying to get the low time job.
Im not saying not to give it a go, but keep in mind that you will more then likely be turned away in favour of a Canadian, or be prepeared to spend a year on the ground without even getting a chance to fly.
But in saying that, there is always the right place at the right time.

Im not trying to be a Wan**r, but just trying to shed some light on Canada.
On another forum there is a good thread on foreigners in Canada, makes a good read.

helicopterpilot
13th Sep 2007, 11:27
Hi, I need a little advice from you guys.
I am a 28 year old Norwegian with an FAA CPL-H. As for flight time I have:
980 hrs total
400 hrs as flight instructor
340 hrs R44
570 hrs R22
70 hrs HU269
Also have experience doing powerline patrol, taxi, tours and photo in addition to instructing.
Would it be doable, with these qualifications, to find employment in Canada, for example as an instructor?
I am currently in law enforcement and have been out of the aviation industry a couple of years.
Thank you gentlemen!

flyheli
14th Sep 2007, 03:38
Hey helicopterpilot,

in Canada you'll find the most experience guys working as an instructor so they probably won't hire anyone without substantial experience. Check the website of your Canadian embassy if you can get one of those 1 year visas for people under 30 years... I only know that it's available for Germans....it'll make the job search a lot easier.

Chances to get hired are a lot better with 1500+ and a turbine endorsement if you need a visa sponsor.

good luck
flyheli

shadey
14th Sep 2007, 17:00
Hi

I am about to start my CPL training in October and I would like to here anyone's opinions and or experience of Rob Wood's Premier Helicopters from Pitt Meadows, BC. He has made my short list, but his business is quite new so I would appreciate some feedback if anyone had any. Pros and Cons that sort of thing. Please send me a PM if you prefer. Other places I am considering are Chinook and Heli-College.

Many Thanks

flyheli
15th Sep 2007, 02:20
Hey Shadey,

I did my conversion at Chinook last winter.
I was basically looking for a school near Vancouver so the travel cost would be low. When I contacted them they came right back to me with a realistic offer time and money wise. They use the B47 which I wanted to fly and I finished in about 10 days within budget so I was happy.
Heared not so good things about Heli College but I don't have personal experience with them.... they were more expensive so I didn't consider them.

Good luck,
flyheli

paco
15th Sep 2007, 04:04
Rob Wood is regularly getting his students through the CPL(H) check ride in 80 hours - he is using many advanced methods of study and will soon be starting the Canadian studies on line.

I used to work with him and can vouch for him knowing his stuff. This is of course without prejudice to any other schools who are known to be good as well :)

Phil

shadey
16th Sep 2007, 00:35
Thanks for the feedback. I flew with heli-college today and I am fly with chinook on Monday and Premier on Tuesday. I will then make my choice. If anyone else wants to weigh in it would be most appreciated.:ok:

Update: I picked Premier in the end, incase you were interested...:sad:

kpd
22nd Oct 2007, 23:49
Anyone any experience of PRI on east coast?? Can see advantage of shorter journey back to Europe but any comments on training or job prospects after professional pilot programmes??

CRAZYBROADSWORD
24th Oct 2007, 20:54
Hi all can anyone got any ideas about the best way to look into jobs in canada any good companies etc

2PWRR
24th Oct 2007, 23:59
Yes buy a plane ticket and come here !!! but first get your self a first class medical a transport Canada cpl(h) and an endorsement on at least a Bh06 and go job hunting, if you only have 200 hours don't come here your waisting your time, oh yeah and get your self a Visa to work or at least understand the process and the time scale involved ! dont work ilegaly you will get deported ! imigration Canada seem relaxed until you do something ilegal I have spoken with them on occasion with reference to students doing training .
Ps its worth it, I have been here 4 years and have no interest in coming back to the UK to fly . verticalmagazine helicoptersmagazine are a couple of good sites

CRAZYBROADSWORD
25th Oct 2007, 12:16
thanks have 2700 hrs and a b206 rating so might look into it cheers

manfromuncle
25th Oct 2007, 14:07
I know a couple of people who work over there and they say there is plently of work for people with turbine experience. Don't know about the visa situation, but I expect an employer will sort something out for you if they want you.

Maybe see here about getting your canadian licence?

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/personnel/gen.htm

Haggis Hunter
20th Nov 2007, 20:34
Hi folks,

Haven't visited in a while, so am turning to a good source for some advice.

Have been working in the UK for quite a while now and am thinking about moving to Canada, an ambition for quite sometime now.

Can anyone recommend some flight schools in B.C. to enquire about converting my JAR CPL(H)? Am I right in thinking that B.C. has the most helicopter operations.

Some information and thoughts on the current employment situation would also be appreciated.

Anyone who has made a similar move I would really like to talk to for tips and advice.

Thanks,

HH:ok:

mustering guru
20th Nov 2007, 21:09
chinook helicopters mate!

cathy and lynn will sort you out great people!

you can google them.

What Limits
20th Nov 2007, 22:45
I recently converted through Chinook and i would agree wholeheartedly with the above sentiment. They can turn you round inside two weeks. I have also recently made the move to the great white north so pm me for further details.

Hughesy
21st Nov 2007, 00:16
I went to BC Helicopters, I wouldnt recommend them. The CP/Instructor was weird...in a funny type way. Plus all the senior intructors left to go to Chinook.
Must say something.

Go Chinook

piwi
21st Nov 2007, 02:41
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any Canadian companies who operate both heli and fixed wing?

Cheers.

nuthin
21st Nov 2007, 06:48
some of the larger companies have FW to run parts and personnel around the place

mustering guru
21st Nov 2007, 06:50
Airborne Energy Soloutions in Whitecourt Alberta have a rotary and fixed wing fleet.

#kiwikid#
22nd Nov 2007, 06:46
Hi There
Is there any kiwi pilots who have done the converson from NZ CPL(H) to the canadain licence?
Any info on whats required or how much it costs in NZmoney would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers:ok:

Hughesy
22nd Nov 2007, 08:02
I would say about $10000nz, which includes airfares, conversion, rent, food etc etc. Bit of coin involved, but one or two seasons in Canada will more then pay for it. Both money and experience. PM me for some advice.

shadey
6th Dec 2007, 20:42
HH

I would also check out Rob Wood at Premier Helicopter Training. I am currently doing my CPL(H) with him and I know that he has done conversions. He also flys the Bell 47.

Send me a PM if you would like to talk some more.

Shadey

sleepyrascal
7th Dec 2007, 11:54
a friend of mine is training in christchurch at the moment. When qualified he is lecensed for canada, NZ, OZ and somewhere else. Cost him just under 30k.

manamale
16th Jan 2008, 21:49
some very good information here for anybody thinking about converting their FAA, also excellent for student pilots in Canada .
http://www.flyingstart.ca/index.html

templar29
3rd Feb 2008, 17:06
Hi everybody,

I would like some advices to work in Canada. In fact, I'm French and I work in the French Navy as helicopter pilot and I'm under contract with the Navy until summer 2010. I have more than 3600 flight hours including, 2000 on Lynx WG13, and Gazelle SA341,SA342, Alouette III, I have many experience on Sea Operations (deck OPS, VERTREP, SAR,...) and some capacities to work in mountains. I'm Flight instructor FI(H) and I prepare on the one hand IR on Dolphin N1 and on the other hand ATPL(H) in a british FTO by learning distance courses.
So, I would like to work abroad, particularly in Canada and can someone give me informations about Companies in Canada? Are my qualifications interressant for a job in the civilian company? Give me, please, some advise in order to prepare a redeployement.
I'm waiting for your answers and I thank you in advance...

albatross
3rd Feb 2008, 21:49
Templar29
Try here;
http://www.canadianhelicopters.ca/intro_1.html

Flight school in Quebec City to get a canadian licence plus employement opportunities.

Some info about the flight school:

The Quebec City Flight School offers ab initio and recurrent flight training. The school currently operates three Robinson R22s, one Robinson R44 and one Eurocopter AS350 AStar for turbine conversions. Bell 206B JetRanger conversions are also available.

The flight school offers:

Private pilot licence and conversion
Commercial pilot licence and conversion
Night rating
Instructor rating
Instrument rating
Turbine endorsement
Foreign License conversion
Type ratings (R22, R44, AS350, B206)
Located at Jean Lesage International Airport in Quebec City, the school offers our candidates flight training in the French language.

The school is staffed with five highly experienced instructors and three mechanics including:

Base Manager: Danny Ricard
Chief Flying Instructor and Designated Flight Test Examiner: Daniel Martin
The Quebec region offers excellent training opportunities across a variety of terrain and climates. The school is close to heavily wooded and mountainous areas, and experiences four full seasons providing students with diverse challenges. Comfortable accommodations can be arranged at nearby facilities.

The school is accredited by both the Provincial and Federal governments.

Fees

All fees are listed in Canadian dollars and include the cost of ground school instruction, text and aviation supplies, simulator training, instructor and fuel.

Charter Rates

R22 $510/hour No minimum time requirement
R44 $810/hour No minimum time requirement
Bell 206 $1,050/hour Minimum of 0.5 hours required
AS350 $1,350/hour Minimum of 0.5 hours required

Training Rates

R22 $470/hour No minimum time requirement
R44 $730/hour No minimum time requirement
Bell 206 $1,000/hour Minimum of 0.5 hours required
AS350 $1,200/hour Minimum of 0.5 hours required

For more information, please visit www.helico.info or contact Danny Ricard at (418) 871-5656 or by e-mail at [email protected].

Canadian Helicopters Flight School
619 6th Avenue
Jean Lesage International Airport
Sainte Foy, Quebec
G2G 2T4

Phone: 418-871-2579
FAX: 418-871-4476

nuthin
17th Feb 2008, 06:30
Hi all

I know a few pilots heading to Canada this season.
They dont have work permits and I am wondering how difficult
it will be for them to find work.

They are all between 25 and 30 odd with between 800 and
2000 hours.
I figured if they went to some of the bigger companies they may
find that these companies have a few work permits there ready to
have names written on them.
And then if you are under 30 you have the two year work visa.

Does that about sum it up?

Cheers

Heli-kiwi
17th Feb 2008, 07:46
Thats about it, I am in that boat but am awaiting paperwork via my sponsor. I've been told it could be anywhere from 5 weeks to 5 months before it comes through so I am in a bit of a holding pattern till then.The bigger companies I've dealt with are all in the same boat with their visa applications.

paco
17th Feb 2008, 08:58
To get a foreign national hired instead of an equivalent Canadian is a process that involves advertising for at least a minimum period, let alone the paperwork. I doubt there will be any "ready for names" as each case is treated individually.

Phil

HVHmt
17th Feb 2008, 17:05
They have been advertising all year long, come and get it boys!!!
Do us a favour though, get enough money. We don't work for room and board anymore!!!!:=

Al321
22nd Feb 2008, 06:15
Hi all,

I'm looking into training for a PPL + CPL in Canada, but the eyesight requirements for passing the medical have left me in a bit of confusion. The National Helicopters site states that "you only need vision that is correctable to 20/30 with glasses or contact lenses", which would mean that I could train/work with my abysmal -5.00 eyesight. The Transport Canada website states that for a Medical Category 1 applicant that requires vision correction he must "possess a visual acuity without correction in each eye separately, not less than 6/60 (20/200) and the refractive error falls within the range of ± 3.0 diopters (equivalent spherical error);", which, it would seem, destroys any hope I have of ever training and at some point working in Canada. Is there something I'm missing here or is all hope for Canada indeed lost?

Cheers,
Al

Ste88
26th Feb 2008, 09:56
hi all!!

I'm looking for advice...
I have choose to start my training in Canada at ProIfr, BC. I'll follow a profesional pilot training on fixed wing...I choose canada insted USA(in USA thare are too people who goes to training so i think that after i will find some problem, and to live here, like permit and work it's more difficult than canada)in prospect, after the training i will take CFI e so I hope to find a job place there in Canada...i'm Italian guy(19years old) but i think it's better to increase my flying experiance in Canada and after i could do the convertion from canadian license to JAA.

I have choose this school because in my opuion i can do all training with all other expanses(like taxes, housing up to 12mouth)within 50k€

What do you think about?i have possiblity to reach those target?

Thanks a lot!

MartinCh
28th Feb 2008, 22:04
Ciao Ste88,

You're right in one thing. Less students than in the US overall.
Why? Because even Canadians go to train helicopter flying in the US.

Well, some things in CAR might be similar to JAR, but from what I've read and got to know, it's not so much different to 'converting' from FAA to JAA.
If you are not full ATPL holder, you still have to do all the theory for CPL anyway, on top of 'training as required' and checkride. PPL conversion is easier, just some exams and checkride.

AAH. FIXED WING? Why in 'rotorheads' then??
This section is rather about helicopters. Well, flying planes in Canada is more comparable to the US financially. But helicopter flying is cheaper in the US.
Canadian dollar appreciated over past 5-7 years a lot. Not good for folks from Europe flying over there. At least USD is so weak and GBP and EUR fairly strong.

Regarding the money, ask/wait for someone else advise you.
People suggest to add at least 20% to any quote. Or more. 50k EUR is nice budget. Wish I had one like that already
And whether it's not 'minimums' as you might need more training. Quotes are often based on minimums and flying the cheapest plane in the fleet. That's OK for PPL, but for MEI, XC flying, complex aircraft etc, it's not that great. Or do you just want to do the ratings with minimum hours and hour build in C152 after flying nicer and faster planes? :-)

Sure, Canada is easier to get temporary graduate work permit, extend student visa etc. Did you shun the J1 visa in the US? Getting instructing job in airplanes is easier than with helicopters in the US.

Either way, as long as you have enough hours, go back to Italy and do some instructing after getting JAA papers, it's all good. People say/write US is easiest way to get the hours up. Then there's some praising Canada, OZ or NZ compared to US. Fact is, OZ has about 400TT mins to instruct or so.
Good for quality of instructing, bad for fresh CPL pilots.

I checked it out. 200TT min FW or CPL/IR A integrated. That's OK then for planes. Helicopter CPL in Canada can be obtained with less hours but instructing minimums are about the same.

bennyjoha
28th Feb 2008, 22:28
"If you are not full ATPL holder, you still have to do all the theory for CPL anyway, on top of 'training as required' and checkride."

What exams must be done if one comes to Canada to fly with a JAR ATPL (frozen)?

kpd
24th Jun 2008, 22:13
Canadian Aviation Academy has this link -

News Release - Government of Canada introduces changes to work permits for international students, making Canada more attractive for skilled individuals (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/releases/2008/2008-04-21.asp)

which implies you can stay in Canada to work for 3 years unrestricted after qualifying there.
Company previously known as priacademy.com -Anyone any experience of either?? Seem highly competitive rates!

What Limits
24th Jun 2008, 22:38
So you come here to do your Canadian CPL (JAA no good here) then you try to get a job.

I am turning down Canadian citizens every day with 100 hours and a CPL.

You will have to have a job to get a work permit and you have to have a work permit to get a job.

So you get a job as an instructor at the flight school where you did your training and end up with 1000 instructor hours.

Still I can't give you a job as you do not have enough hours, but you have too many to start at the bottom.

Beware of entering into this type of 'arranged employment' scams with flight schools and certainly do not send money up front. Read all about Silverstate (I think) before you think about this.

kpd
24th Jun 2008, 22:48
whatlimits thank you- will search as you suggested. Does worry me when companies change their names!!

HillerBee
15th Jul 2008, 03:16
The license will be an ICAO license and needs to be converted to a JAA license if you want to work in Europe. The pittfall is that for a Canadian CPL you'll only need 100 hours which is 'cheap' but doesn't give you enough hours to be able to do a JAA license (185 hours). Better and cheaper could be an US FAA license and as of december this year the Canadians will give you a Canadian CPL on the basis of an FAA one. £25000 won't be enough however (not even close)

The cheapest country to train in would probably be South Africa at the moment. However not easy and you'll need 200 hours for a CPL(H).

Heli-kiwi
15th Jul 2008, 05:40
Simondlh

I believe New Zealand could be cheaper. CPL is 150 hours, we have mountains (Real ones) and a sling rating is part of the syllabus too.
I did my CPL (with a 23000hr instructor) for just on $40k NZ (14000 pounds) which included medicals, exams and a full time 12 week cpl theory course.
Of course to do this I purchased a share in an R22 with a reputable syndicate for 9k and sold it on for 9k on completion of my licence.
Your Stirling would go a very long way here.
If you want some contacts then PM me and I can put you on to the right people here.

HK

Canuck Guy
15th Jul 2008, 06:20
The license will be an ICAO license and needs to be converted to a JAA license if you want to work in Europe. The pittfall is that for a Canadian CPL you'll only need 100 hours which is 'cheap' but doesn't give you enough hours to be able to do a JAA license (185 hours). Better and cheaper could be an US FAA license and as of december this year the Canadians will give you a Canadian CPL on the basis of an FAA one. £25000 won't be enough however (not even close)

The cheapest country to train in would probably be South Africa at the moment. However not easy and you'll need 200 hours for a CPL(H).

The whole FAA to TC freebie will only benefit American pilots with experience. American trained pilots with a fresh licence coming North for work will be wasting their time.

Best to train in the country you want to work in.

paco
15th Jul 2008, 07:34
£25K is not even close, as someone said. It's not just the licence you will need, but a specialist qualififcation on top, such as a mountain course or longlining or even an IR if you want to go down that route. Then there's travelling around Canada looking for a job, for which you need something you can sleep in.

This is not trying to put you off as it is a good industry over there, but trying to make sure you don't run out of steam halfway! Go for it, but you need to be aware of the above. PM me about study materials if you wish.

The (Canadian) Helicopters magazine publishes a list of all the operators, as does Vertical, and Canada411 (http://www.canada411.ca) is the telephone directory if you want to search for flight schools.

If you're talking about employment after training, Great Slave might be an option, but all the schools and companies know each other and could place you anyway if they think you are good enough.

Phil

heliduck
15th Jul 2008, 14:32
I wouldn't advise spending any cash on mountain courses or IR training, as no operator that I know of would send a low hour pilot into the mountains. Any reputable Canadian companies which need you to fly in the mountains will put you through a mountain course once you have enough experience. By the way, you don't need a mountain course to fly in the mountains, it's just that certain customers like BC Forestry require it, therefore most companies adopt it if they want to be eligible for BC Forestry work.
An IR may help you into a co-pilots seat once you have some turbine command under your belt, but again no-one in their right mind would let a low hour guy PIC in IMC.
There are a lot of Canadian low hour pilots looking for work, but it appears that a lot of them don't want to come up north so that's a good place to look. Very cold & long winters, but lots of work when it's warm. You might get very lucky & score a seat straight up but I doubt it, so be prepared to spend a year on the ground here. Things have slowed down considerably here this season, & I think a lot of pilots coming over from other countries(like I did) in the near future might be a little dissapointed. Good luck.

Spanish Waltzer
16th Jul 2008, 15:22
Any one know whether there are ever job opportunities in Canada for experienced helo pilots in their police aviation sector or do you have to be a Canadian citizen and or police officer too?

paco
16th Jul 2008, 19:18
You won't necessarily need to be a police officer (though I suppose it might help), but the only real force in Canada in this area is Calgary, if you will pardon the pun - Phil Haworth is the Chief Pilot. The Calgary police do require an ATP plus IR. Of course, there's always the RCMP. If I remember rightly, you can either be a Canadian citizen or have a work permit, but preference is given to citizens.

Heliduck - I can name at least one company that was sending 100-hour guys into Penticton to collect Jetrangers and fly them back to Calgary. Go figure.

Phil

somepitch
16th Jul 2008, 20:12
there's the odd company that will put low timers in the mountains, depending on the situation...i started mountain flying right out of training, doing (obviously) the easier jobs. i don't think i would have been as comfortable with it if i hadn't done my CPL course in the mountains though...

RickD
30th Jul 2008, 00:30
Gentleman,

Anyone know of any late season jobs for an American with Canadian CPL, 3000 TT, 206/407/350 endorsements, BCFS Mountain Course and "intro" to longline but no real production or longline experience, ie. an entry level job ? Also need a company that would sponsor me for a work permit of course.

I do not want to take a job away from a real Canadian pilot of course. You guys are the best !!

I've sent resumes to most everyone, getting ready to hit the phones.

Thanx

paco
30th Jul 2008, 04:24
Hmm - don't want to rain on your parade, but your best bet is to hope things get busy and people start getting timexed on fires at this stage, but many companies won't go through the dangerous goods and WHMIS process just for that - layoffs usually start happening in early September in any case.

Work permit process takes about 60 days, if I remember right, most of which is taken up with advertising in local papers for Canadians, but some companies apply for john doe paperwork and fill in the names at the last minute - you may be lucky.

Good luck!

Phil

flyagain
2nd Aug 2008, 00:46
Just been lookin ghtrough the TC site and found the section on FAA to TC license conversion free ride. Am I right in reading it applies to the Airplane Category only? If so, why not Helicopters, and is it due to change?

Thanks

jonowarr
2nd Aug 2008, 01:16
Hit the road Jack.
Resumes and phones are worthless, as they have always been, in every industry.
My friend and I walked in unannounced off the street in Canada last month and were offered full time immediate starts at 5 of the 10 companies we visited- good companies, not ****ty little unheard of ones. And this was before we had even sat the TC flight test.
I run a company in Oz; resumes go in the bin unless they are handed to me in person over a cup of coffee. Every place I have ever been into for work, including all those in CAN say the same thing.
Sorry for the lecture!!! Get driving and good luck.

HillerBee
2nd Aug 2008, 13:34
jonowarr,

Where they willing to sponsor for a work visa?

Longdog
3rd Aug 2008, 16:25
As`I have a minute on this fine Sunday morning, let me say this about Canada.
I am a Chief Pilot for a medium sized Western Canadian company, operating 2-206,s, 8-350 b2,s, and 2-205,s in a variety of applications.
We have been very busy over the past 10 years, and at times have found it very difficult to find experienced crew for all our machines, but never would we put in a low time, or in-experienced pilot.
In the past few years we have become aware of Foreign pilots applying to work for us and not being able to verify their hours and work experience. We have even on a few occasions taken a candidate out for a inital flight and found their skills grossly over exagerated.
If you are going to come to Canada to try to find work, you must be able to verify your hours, and your work experience with a stamped log book, and a letter from your previous employer on company stationary with a contactable phone number of the Chief Pilot, or equivalent.
The loose network of Chief Pilots here do talk to each other, and we do have an un-official list of suspicous pilots, and we share our information!

Lastley, we have an excess of low time Canadian pilots, and by law, we have to hire a Canadian pilot first, if they meet the reqirements.

If you have less than 500 hours, you will most likely not get a job, see above.
If you have verifiable 500-1000 hours, you might get a job in the spring, early summer.
If you have verifiable 1000 hours plus, verifiable long line time, verifiable mtn course from a Canadian company, you will be employable, and most likely get a job.

Lastley, there is a Global economic slowdown happening, and for the first time in years, our company is going to lay off pilots this winter. Our industry has slowed down this summer, and all indications are pointing to a slowing economy, and less hours being flown.

I wish all of you the best of luck, and remember, if your thinking of coming to Canada to work, you must be able to verify your hours and experience, otherwise, you will find it tough sledding thanks to a few rotten apples.

winged hunters
4th Aug 2008, 03:34
If you have less than 500 hours, you will most likely not get a job, see above.
If you have verifiable 500-1000 hours, you might get a job in the spring, early summer.
If you have verifiable 1000 hours plus, verifiable long line time, verifiable mtn course from a Canadian company, you will be employable, and most likely get a job.

If that's not proof of the helicopter pilot shortage I don't know what is.

Good news for me :ok:

flyagain
5th Aug 2008, 22:48
I just talked to someone in TC and they told me the FAA to TC license conversion still involves all the commercial exams and a flight test. There are no immediate plans to bring it into line with plank conversions (a 20 question exam only)... Does anyone have concrete info to the contrary?

No-ID
24th Dec 2008, 00:01
Hi ppl!
I can remember some rumours that it's going to be easier to do the conversion from FAA license to Canadian license? Is this true or just another rumour? Thanks!

offshorepilot
24th Dec 2008, 18:16
Hello PPrune and everyone out there. Wishing you all a Happy Holiday, peace, health, happiness and prosperity in the coming New Year.

I am about to take an ATPL-H course/training with either Heli-College Canada or Professional IFR Vancouver. Would appreciate some feed back, thanks guys.

Keep the rotor in the green and safe flying in 2009.

Cheers

VTA
24th Dec 2008, 21:29
Go with Pro-IFR...John Montgomery is a star while Lyle will charge for every breath he takes....Both places offer 1st class courses though....

JaredYng
17th May 2009, 21:58
Does anyone know anything about Canadian conversions?

I'm curious as to the costs, time, locations and any other pertinent information. I'm interested in someplace near Redwood in Alberta.

Thanks

Great View
18th May 2009, 01:51
I did mine beginning of last year in Quebec City with Canadian Helicopters, FAA to a Canadian.
You have to do the written and checkride.
Written is NOT as easy as the FAA....no studying the right question, then doing the exam over the weekend.
Checkride is a checkride, there is no minimum flight time to do before, its just as many hours as you need to do to get to TC standards.
Pretty straight forward really.
Good Luck

JaredYng
18th May 2009, 02:57
Does the Canadian conversion ever expire?

If I have my commercial license and instrument rating, do I need to take a written and checkride for each?

paco
18th May 2009, 04:43
I believe the proces for a straight conversion for FAA to Canadian licences (and vice versa) is nearly finished except the guy doing it is off ill for the moment.

Not sure what you mean from the last post - are you converting from FAA/JAA to Canadian? As Great View says, it's quite straightforward and any type you are current on will be given as a type rating.

phil

Matthew Parsons
18th May 2009, 04:46
Where is Redwood, AB?

JaredYng
18th May 2009, 05:18
I miss-spoke. Red Deer, AB not Redwood. Sorry!

Ok, let me start from the beginning! If I'm a commercial instrument rated helicopter in the states, what do I need to get a job and fly in Canada?

the delaminator
18th May 2009, 05:56
A lot of luck and some connections.

Oh and some license conversions would help as well.

Some exams, IFR, MET........the usual spread.

And an IFR/PPC during which you must do two approaches one of which must be precision and a hold.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it is probably one of the cheapest conversions in the first world. And still entirely safe.

What Limits
18th May 2009, 16:31
what do I need to get a job and fly in Canada?

Do you already have the right to live and work in Canada? If so good luck, if not save your money time and effort. There are too many highly qualified Canadians available and I am led to believe that work permits will not be issued to immigrant helicopter pilots.

Matthew Parsons
18th May 2009, 21:46
Red Deer....well that makes sense. I'm guessing you've landed there and the lady driving the fuel truck impressed you so much that you're now looking for work close by. :ok: Marry her, and getting a job will be easy.

murdock
18th May 2009, 23:46
Uhhhm..... news flash!!! There is no work in Canada. Might wanna research a few details before investing and making a move to that direction.

Cirrusly
4th Jul 2009, 08:44
I'm doing my commercial training now and have delusions of grandeur of flying in Canada when I plan on finishing next year. Is there anything I could/should be doing now to help my chances of scoring any kind of work once I get my CPL?

heliduck
4th Jul 2009, 16:01
If you're under 31 apply for the working holiday visa online. Come over just before the olympics & you might get a job helping out there & at least you'll get a chance to freeze your arse off. Have a look around & talk to people while you're here & you'll soon realise that the Canadian industry won't be requiring the services of low time pilots for quite a few years to come, be they foreign or local.

holybejaysus
5th Jul 2009, 01:09
Hey guys, would having a pipeline operators cert be of any value with the current economic climate? I know jobs are as rare as tits on a bull at the moment, but what are the chances of finding employment as a low time pilot/operator? I've heard Airborne might be worth a shot....

All advice welcome!

heliduck
5th Jul 2009, 01:42
My advice is to ring Airborne & ask them.

kneedwondean
14th Jan 2010, 08:16
Just a quick one, anyone know of a company that offers Canadian Ground School for CPL(H) that I can study distance learning? I found PilotTraining.ca : Learn to Fly! : PilotTraining.ca (http://www.pilottraining.ca/site/) but they dont seem to offer the Heli Course. Thanks.

skypest
3rd Oct 2010, 20:54
Hey everybody
how easy/hard is it to transfer a CASA cpl(h) from New Zealand to the Canadian equivalent ?

That lights normal!
3rd Oct 2010, 23:18
CASA is Australian. NZ have a CAA.

Except for JAR? countries, the usual procedure is:

:ok:Prove the required experience and OS licence
:ok:Sit an Airlaw/conversion exam
:ok:Pass a flight test

(Special, “easy” procedure between AUS / NZ. Required experience and paperwork only)

TLN

newfieboy
4th Oct 2010, 01:19
I converted FAA nearly 20yrs ago, involved Pstar exam, all written commercial exams, radio licence, and a check ride....had a couple thou hrs at time, so wasn;t too bad. Licence conversion easy peasy, getting a work permit and a job Mmmm......tough. Immigration apparently getting tough on Kiwi and Aus boys coming over, I guess alot of the outta work Canadian pilots took it up a notch with the government.

Best of luck, pleased I got me Landed Immigrant when I did,not that it matters now married to a hot Canadian girl....:ok:

Axle
29th Nov 2010, 07:33
It's been said that Canada's immigration authority has been 'getting tough' on foreign citizen helicopter pilots entering the country for work. Does anyone know at what point during the process of getting a WHP visa they tell you you're not accepted?

paco
29th Nov 2010, 10:16
It depends which part of the country - for training, Premier Helicopter Training at Pitt Meadows BC is one (speak to Rob Wood), and in Ontario, at the other end, try the Central Helicopter training Academy - Harald Sydness is in charge there. There are others, but I have personal experience of those.

As for operators, they are all pretty much OK, except for one or two. You will hear about them when you get to a flight school.

As for immigration, there is now a set period after which they chuck you out. Not too sure of the details, but pilots are no longer on the immigration wish list (yet ground instructors seem to be. Go figure).

phil

Winnie
29th Nov 2010, 12:18
The new rules are 4 years then you get the boot for 2 years.

But if you qualify, immigration to Canada is not terrible. but you have to meet certain requirements. Visit Welcome Page | Page d'accueil (http://www.cic.gc.ca) and look at the portions on Immigration.

Cheers
H.

sufi
30th Dec 2010, 04:25
i have seen your post !! really impressive !! would you please make me understand more about this procedure of getting PR !! i am gonna do flight training from toronto airways !! and after getting licences !! i would love to follow the same trick which u told before !!! just want to know more about this !!! bundle of thankssssssss !!! :):)

xtremalsound
17th Jul 2011, 15:27
Hello everybody...

I am thinking to get Canadian license and I would like to find a cheaper and faster school or people to do it there.

I have Faa and Jaa license with Ir rated in both of them.

Thanks in advance

stevestpierre
17th Jul 2011, 15:53
Harv's Air Pilot Training, Flight Training School » FAA Pilot Licence conversions to Transport Canada Pilot Licences (http://www.harvsair.com/site/information/faa-pilot-licence-conversions-to.html)

Conversion agreement between U.S. and Canadian officials - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-personnel-usconversion-480.htm#)

xtremalsound
17th Jul 2011, 18:12
stevestpierre,

The links you have pasted me It's only for airplane it's not valid for helicopters... I don't know because you will not be able to do it like that but I think you can not...

Um..liffting... I checked chinook website but they charge about 500 $/hour in a Bell 47... I thinks it's so expensive.. What do you think about it?

Rotonutz
17th Jul 2011, 23:39
I did mine at Langley Helicollege in the R22 a few years ago. I went there because I had R22 time and ended up only doing about 3 hours flying which included the flight test.
I think back then the R22 was about $475 canadian an hour but didnt have to do much so was not really an issue.
I think it took a couple of weeks from start to finish as they set you up pretty good for the Transport Canada exam. They had alot of good practice exams that seemed pretty similar to the real thing.

ErrisG
14th Sep 2011, 16:41
About to embark on an adventure to Canada to start a flight instructor rating and hopefully gain employment...does anyone know of any good schools in Canada? Preferably in British Columbia....

Cheers

bwr77
15th Sep 2011, 22:53
Try Victoria Flying Club on Vancouver Island, the CFI there has been dedicated to flight training for many years and the manager is more concerned about happy club members than making a profit. You will find there are a lot less VFR no fly days on the island compared to the mainland during the winter months.

ErrisG
16th Sep 2011, 11:24
Cheers bwr...but it seems that FTO is fixed-wing. Anyway it seems that instructing is not the job to start with in Canada, so I might try for an instrument rating instead. Anybody know of the best place in BC or Ontario for instrument training?

paco
16th Sep 2011, 14:07
Pro IFR in Boundary Bay

Phil

ErrisG
16th Sep 2011, 15:04
cheers phil, they do look to be a good crowd. Have you had experience with them?

paco
16th Sep 2011, 17:29
Yes, I did my helicopter IR there. Very professional bunch.

Phil

lisaalther
14th Nov 2011, 05:24
Great post! I was really looking for this kind of stuff, i would like to thank you all for sharing your valuable posting :ok:

RVV85
25th Dec 2011, 10:25
Hi Guys,

I have read the post and see that the opinions are that it is near impossible for a foreigner to get a job as a Helicopter Pilot in Canada? Is it still the same now? I am looking to immigrate to your beautiful country.

newfieboy
25th Dec 2011, 17:39
RVV85

I;m an expat, been flying in Canada for 20 yrs, we also have quite a few foreign guys amonst our crews.And meet many expat crews on fires in the season. So not impossible, you just need to know the right people. Oh and lots of turbine time,approved mountain course and be pretty decent on a longline, precision and production. And the most important thing, a right to live and work in Canada. If you have all of the above, pm me a resume, I'll drop it on our HR girls desk in the New year. Merry Xmas......:ok:

Helisingh
15th Jul 2013, 13:10
Rotohead guys please help me with this one. What would be best way to attain ATPL(H) in Canada, self studies or ground school? For self studies which book is best recommended?

paco
15th Jul 2013, 17:56
For the Canadian exams? Full time or distance learning is up to you and how you best study, but for distance learning DON'T use Culhane. Look for an ad in Aviation News Journal for an alternative ;) or check your PMs.

As for schools - for an integrated course try Canadian Helicopters - talk to Sylvan Seguin. There may be others of course, and I'm sure somebody will add to the list. Central Helicopter Training Academy or Helicopters Canada in Ontario, Mountain View or LR Helicopters in Calgary are a couple of suggestions.

Phil

206Fan
21st Sep 2016, 00:00
BC Helicopters have a new YouTube channel up and running, the guys are uploading new videos regularly!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZejsYWARW6YYVzJT5v8LRw

Helicopter Flight Training (http://www.bchelicopters.com/)

They're also receiving their first Cabri G2 in January 2017!

liftman
1st Dec 2016, 15:37
hy guys...briefly43 years old...now time to ge my dream. I choose Chinook helicopter school. Opinions about them.Planning CPL-Ir..bell 47 robinson 44 bell 206.Is canadian licence good for working abroad too old to get working permission in Canada I am afraid.My background...EASA atp fixed wing 2000TT 1500 Ir. Could help to get some rotary job at the endCheers

K and K
29th Jan 2017, 20:01
To bwr77 about current condition of victoria flying club
Hi, as one of the recent graduates, I would like to tell all about truth.

"manager is more concerned about happy club members than making a profit"
I totally agree with this.
While I had been struggling with flight planning to complete 300NM trip, He kindly suggested me to go and cross Canada/Us border to satisfy direct 300NM route and attain relatively safer routing.
He also offered me most favorable aircraft rental rate when I tried to fly at Canadian day (Super holiday when no Canadian works therefore usually flying club would be closed and even solo flight might be difficult to conduct.....). Thanks to his help, I could practice solo CPL prep and complete my single com with the relatively short period( 9 months) as the abinitio student.
But the problem about this school is, None of the instructors try to follow manager's sincere consideration and treatments to students.

"the CFI there has been dedicated to flight training for many years"
No, this place's CFI is just being existing. He usually does nothing for students.
He is apparently trying to avoid communicating and spending time with students no more than 3 minutes.

Simounteniously he is one of the region's designated flight test examiner. But I don't know why he could be so elegant to customers.

Many students claim that they often charge extra ground instruction fee. But the reality is, most of the times, their ground instruction before and after flight training is less than 5 minutes. Can't they distinguish tip from the legal bill? Simply put, their ground instruction is really short,dry and still expensive..... Needless to say, CFI never tries to consolidate this matter...... Some of their ramp Agents, Customer service employees had taken PPL level flight training with VFC, but it is common for them to achieve PPL with excessive flight hours of 90 or even 100..... This is insane, frankly too much of wasting money.... This condition clearly shows the fact in which there is neither no good structure for flight instruction nor good will of CFI to have their instruction organized........
As for conclusion my argument with this school, This place is good for pretty much determined pilot applicant who can present devoted posture toward every aspect of flight training which including booking for flight instructors schedule
(Student can go and fly as many as they wish and possible.With combination of Hour building for CPL, I could accumulate many night flight hours for incomming ATPL licensing.)
But other than that, I can't recommend this place for everybody. Especially I know the person who is working for his PPL for years yet He hasn't clear PPL written and Licensing. (he had cleared his flight test with another flight school though...) This reality shows that they need not only pay more attention and efforts for student's learning curve but they also once had better to pick up more suitable ground course material for an abinitio student
(they provide ppl ground school package about 600box, I know many students told that those material is not working properly.)
You can confirm that I am telling truth and fact and I am coming from concrete resource.
You can simply go to Civil Aviation Daily Occurrence Reporting System or CADORS.
CADORS: Main Menu (http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/cadors-screaq/m.aspx)
Ongoing aviation investigations (http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/enquetes-investigations/aviation/index.asp)

Then you would search the incidents reports by entering victoria flying club as operator.
I guarantee you would be impressed observing how many of simplest mistake are being made by those students........ Lack of consistency......

rotorwhip
12th Apr 2017, 12:37
Hello Phil.

Looking for job opportunities in Canada. 6000h ALTP(H) and IR which needs conversion to JAA/FAA. Currently offshore. Preferably something more easier as I have crossed 50. ME turbine experience around 4000h. Could use your valuable inputs and suggestions, costs and how to go about the process. Thanks A TON.

paco
13th Apr 2017, 05:42
You won't need JAA/EASA if you want to work in Canada, but obviously you will need immigration sorted. Unless you go for EMS or offshore, you will need to start the grand tour around Feb.

Phil

newfieboy
13th Apr 2017, 11:33
Like Phil said,
No immigration, no work permit. Very hard to get company sponsorship right now. Good luck on your endeavours.

albatross
13th Apr 2017, 15:17
As Paco and Newfieboy said.
Also if not going offshore or EMS or helijet you will not find flying here easier than offshore!
Bring your sleeping bag and review your boy scout handbook on camping skills.
Report to the gym to practice lifting 205 litre drums from the horizontal to the vertical.
It will be interesting and in many cases fun. Good luck.

rotorwhip
20th Apr 2017, 00:00
Thanks Phil,newfieboy and albatross. How many hours do you clock during on time? Thnx.

paco
20th Apr 2017, 05:05
The last month I flew there I did 120 hours. I couldn't work in Europe for three months :)

Phil

Winnie
20th Apr 2017, 14:43
If you are asking how long the days are, they are 14 hours, and if you are in a utility job, when on contract you basically work every day (except weather days, which you consider as resting days) for up to 42 days straight. In the 42 day period you need 13 days of rest (weather days), and 5 days to reset.

I consider myself lucky, and work 28 on 28 off, but my days can get long and boring, I'm basically on for 14 hours, but I plan the days activity, go to my days location, sit there for most of the day in a noisy environment, and get back, just in time for duty days end.

Finding an "easy" job in Canada at this time, when guys are struggling to find even a little work is not really feasible in my opinion. But others have prevailed, so best of luck to you!

H.

rotorwhip
30th Apr 2017, 11:37
The last month I flew there I did 120 hours. I couldn't work in Europe for three months :)

Phil Thanks Phil . That's something. Here we have a restriction of 90h and usually fly between 80-85h.

rotorwhip
30th Apr 2017, 11:39
If you are asking how long the days are, they are 14 hours, and if you are in a utility job, when on contract you basically work every day (except weather days, which you consider as resting days) for up to 42 days straight. In the 42 day period you need 13 days of rest (weather days), and 5 days to reset.

I consider myself lucky, and work 28 on 28 off, but my days can get long and boring, I'm basically on for 14 hours, but I plan the days activity, go to my days location, sit there for most of the day in a noisy environment, and get back, just in time for duty days end.

Finding an "easy" job in Canada at this time, when guys are struggling to find even a little work is not really feasible in my opinion. But others have prevailed, so best of luck to you!

H.

Thanks Winnie. 28/28 is good and what I follow presently. Lets C how it goes.

Sofatacos
27th Mar 2018, 12:22
Hi there folks,

I'm thinking about moving out to Canada from the UK as an EASA CPL(H) with ME IR and ATPL theory complete and a FAA CPL(H) IR CFI/II. I have around 475 hours majority on the R44 however I do hold an AS355N type rating.

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the prospects out there for someone in my position as the market in the UK seems a bit saturated and at the hours level I'm at seems to be out of reach.

And advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

paco
27th Mar 2018, 16:26
You will need a work permit obviously. Don't expect a company to employ you before you get it.

phil

Sofatacos
28th Mar 2018, 15:59
You will need a work permit obviously. Don't expect a company to employ you before you get it.

phil

Having worked in the states that makes sense to have one however do you know what the likelihood of someone with my experience and quals getting employed out there is?

Cheers

Arcal76
28th Mar 2018, 16:17
It is very difficult to say at this time. this industry is still a disaster and mostly, people who will find work have specific experience and qualification. We are back to this mode where you need this type rating or this experience on this type of job to have a chance. Even there, you will have to wait and see until they need you and call you for an unspecific amount of time.
It is not fun !

pilot1234567
29th Mar 2018, 04:38
Canadian Helicopters Ltd. is looking for a North Warning B212 captain. 3000 hrs, 212 endorsement ATPL/IFR/Unrestricted Night, all that jazz. 28/28 schedule. Go to their website if you're interested.

manamale
29th Mar 2018, 12:05
Hey Sofatacos pm me for a chat.

hueyracer
29th Mar 2018, 17:56
Chances of employment with your experience-little to none.

You are too far away of the magic "1500" hours most insurance companies require, and you do not have a type rating on any MPH to act as Copilot.....

Best chances would be to get a Copilot position somewhere, and gain experience..

You can not be employed as PIC with those hours..especially, as you do not have a work permit-and even more because a company supporting you to get one would need to show proof that there is no local pilot available with the same or more experience...

gulliBell
30th Mar 2018, 02:27
Chances of employment with your experience-little to none..etc etc.

That's about as straight as straight gets.

newfieboy
1st Apr 2018, 01:42
Sofatachos
From a Brit with 18,000+hrs working Utility in Canada,.
Too be honest you chances are as said, pretty slim. The industry is on an upturn here for sure. I’ve been racking up flight pay constantly and my company is short of pilots.
But as said, experienced crews with type ratings on 407,350,205,212. And the kicker is experience on longline, drills, fire etc. Most seats require at least 1500hrs. I’m seeing requirements actually going up what was 1500 now 2500hrs.
You can PM me with your details, we do hire low time but no work permit, no work simples. The days of companies sponsoring low time foreign hires is pretty much done here. Way too much hassle for us.
Good luck in your future endeavours, don’t let me put you off. Just being honestly realistic Bud. Like I said, I’m a PM away for advice Brother.

r22butters
1st Apr 2018, 02:18
Hi there folks,

I'm thinking about moving out to Canada from the UK as an EASA CPL(H) with ME IR and ATPL theory complete and a FAA CPL(H) IR CFI/II. I have around 475 hours majority on the R44 however I do hold an AS355N type rating.

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on the prospects out there for someone in my position as the market in the UK seems a bit saturated and at the hours level I'm at seems to be out of reach.

And advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Damn with your hours the only job here in the States would most likely be with Old City Helicopters flying R44 tours in Florida, they generally only want 200 total, whereas all the other R44 tour companies want 500.

You could come here and try that until you build up to 1500, then get some turbine time in the Grand Canyon?

,and so on,...?

HeliRich
2nd Apr 2018, 01:12
Sofatachos
From a Brit with 18,000+hrs working Utility in Canada,.
Too be honest you chances are as said, pretty slim. The industry is on an upturn here for sure. I’ve been racking up flight pay constantly and my company is short of pilots.
But as said, experienced crews with type ratings on 407,350,205,212. And the kicker is experience on longline, drills, fire etc. Most seats require at least 1500hrs. I’m seeing requirements actually going up what was 1500 now 2500hrs.
You can PM me with your details, we do hire low time but no work permit, no work simples. The days of companies sponsoring low time foreign hires is pretty much done here. Way too much hassle for us.
Good luck in your future endeavours, don’t let me put you off. Just being honestly realistic Bud. Like I said, I’m a PM away for advice Brother.

newfieboy are you able to please send me a PM, I am unable to send PMs.

siddhanta_alc
26th Sep 2018, 16:22
Guys . The last I have flown was 2010 . I have FAA CHPL . Now I'm settling in Canada and I wish to get back on my flying career . My questions are
1. How to convert the FAA CHPL to Canadian ?
2. What exams I have to give ? RTR ? MEDICAL ?
3. How to go about being current or flight review ?
4. Anything that I've missed in the questions that I need to proceed ?
Thanks .
Also, you could reply me on [email protected]

paco
26th Sep 2018, 19:33
The FAA licence can be converted directly with a paperwork exercise - I believe it is 20 questions on the Canadian side and 40 on the US side if you are going the other way. it could be the other way round.

You would need a medical and some currency time.

phil