PDA

View Full Version : FAA license based on my JAR license

FlyingForFun
19th Jan 2004, 21:58
I recently obtained an FAA license, based on my JAR (UK-issued) license. The license has words to the effect of: "This license is only valid when accompanied by UK license number UK/PP/xxxxx"

I've now upgraded my JAR PPL to a CPL. The license number has therefore changed. It is no longer UK/PP/xxxxx it's now UK/CP/xxxxx.

Does this mean my FAA license is no longer valid? Can I have the number of my foreign license amended? Will this require a letter of authenticity from the CAA? Will I loose any additional ratings which I've added to my FAA license?

FFF
--------------

PS - Not quite sure which forum is best for this. It's almost Private Flying, but since it relates specifically to a Commercial license, that didn't seem quite right, although it's not a Wannabes question, so I thought Questions was best. Mods - feel free to move it if you think it's appropriate!

dorosenco
19th Jan 2004, 22:18
FlyingForFun,

Yes, you have to reissue your FAA license if your PPL number changed. Yes, you will need a new letter of authenticity. You will have to pick out a FSDO office in the US where your license will be issued and plan on going there in person.
All your ratings will be transfered to the new license.

happy flying ...

411A
19th Jan 2004, 22:48
Overseas folks have bemused themselves for some years about the FAA license. Comments such as....printed on a bit of cardboard, etc come to mind.
Now of course the FAA are using a new more permanent format, but several things have not changed....once issued, the number does not change, when aircraft ratings are added they don't disappear (or become invalid) after a certain specified period...and last but certainly not least, there is no charge for issuing the original / amended document.

Little wonder there is so much aviation activity here in the USA...it is not taxed/charged to death, unlike other 'developed' countries.

KitKatPacificuk
19th Jan 2004, 22:56
So the number hasn't changed, just the prefix. Does that make a difference. I was told only one licence could be issued per number. So whether it is PP or CP does that matter?

FlyingForFun
19th Jan 2004, 23:25
Ah, good - only three replies, and we have two different opinions already. Which isn't bad, considering that one of the three replies didn't answer the question in any case. ;) I feel justified in being unsure on this one now!

KitKat, my gut feeling is to go with Dorosenco on this one. The "PP" and "CP" bits appear in the "license number" field of my JAR licenses, so I think they are part of the number, even though the numeric part hasn't changed. And the "PP" bit which is printed on my FAA license is incorrect - if an FAA inspector asked me to produce a valid JAR license with the a number which matches that shown on my FAA license, I couldn't. I hope that someone can prove me wrong, though, because I have no plans to go to the US at present, which makes visiting a FSDO a little difficult. But, on the other hand, I also have no immediate plans to fly an N-registered aircraft, so it's only a minor niggle rather than a major inconvenience.

FFF
-------------

Field In Sight
19th Jan 2004, 23:48
I had the same problem 3 mths ago when I went to add the FAA IR to my FAA PPL based on my JAA PPL which had subsequently become a JAA CPL.

It's free (unsurprisingly, apart from paying the CAA 15 quid) and pretty painless, also they were very nice and added my MEP rating on it too.

I worked out recently that I've paid approximately 3500 quid :mad: to the CAA in exam/test fee's/medical and associated rating issue (aka printing out another piece of A4 with my details on it) since I started flying.

:} :{ :ugh: :yuk:

FlyingForFun
20th Jan 2004, 00:08
FIS - thanks. I assume (since you say that you had to pay the CAA) that you required a new letter of authenticity, and had to turn up in person at the FSDO, right?

FFF
-------------

Keygrip
20th Jan 2004, 00:29
FFF - let me call you with the RIGHT answer - after talking to the guys at FSDO.

FlyingForFun
20th Jan 2004, 00:39
Keygrip - as always, your help is very much appreciated :ok:

FFF
-----------

Field In Sight
20th Jan 2004, 01:22
I didn't require a letter of authenticity 1st time around as it was about 3 years ago.

I did go to the FSDO to pick up the authenicity letter sent by the Oklahoma office and get my temporary airmans certificate (re)issued.

It seemed that the main requirement for having the letter was to show to the examiner before he issued my IR.

FIS.

Keygrip
20th Jan 2004, 03:01
Well, FIS didn't exactly have the same as you cannot add a rating to a licence "issued on the basis of..."

He needed a stand alone licence for that.

Julian
20th Jan 2004, 15:38
Keygrip,

Can you clarify please?

I had an FAA IR added to my FAA PPL which was an 'issued on the basis of....'. I did not have a full stand alone FAA PPL, have they altered the rules?

Juilan.

M.85
20th Jan 2004, 19:19
Where is the Caa building?
Its the big GOLDEN one over there:E

M.85

Keygrip
20th Jan 2004, 21:59
FFF - I spoke to the Airmen Certification Branch of the FAA at Oklahoma City. Lady called Tina. They were all on Federal holiday yesterday.

She says "No need to change. The personal reference number on your licence remains the same - only the prefix changes.

If you WISH to apply for a new licence you are welcome to do so - by completing the entire certification process. £15 to the CAA, nominate a FSDO, etc. etc."

('Spose you could say Orlando and arrange it for the Disney Bash in October??)

Julian: The deal (apparently) never was that you could attach a genuine FAA rating (i.e. "flight test passed") to an FAA PPL that had been "issued on the basis of..."

Some of them DO GET THROUGH as the paperwork between the DPE (flight examiner) doing the Temporary Airmen Certificate and the Airmen Certifcation Branch in Oklahoma (who actually issue the licences and ratings) often gets confused.

Buddy of mine recently had a multi engine commercial pilot with instrument rating given to him. Didn't even do a test. They just gave it to him.

Then shortly afterwards they took it away again.

Certainly after 9/11 - the word from FSDO and all the local examiners is that you cannot add any rating or privilidges to a licence that was "issued on the basis of..."

You must have a full FAA licence (of some sort) in order to add a rating to it - not just the privilideges of the PPL as per the ICAO agreement.

FlyingForFun
20th Jan 2004, 22:20
Thanks very much for that, Keygrip. Will let you know about the Disney Bash nearer the time, though!

I don't think you're right about not adding ratings, though. Two reasons:

Number 1 - I did a lot of research into this a couple of years ago, with respect to night qualifications. What I discovered at the time (and I admit that the FARs could have changed within this time) was that the FARs explicitly state that you can add a "rating" to such a license. Unfortunately, because there is no such thing as a "night rating", you can't add that to your FAA license - you have to add it to your JAR license and then the privileges are automatically added to the FAA license - and this is why there is a lot of confusion and disagreement amongst FAA types about night qualifications. I've never heard any similar confusion about any "rating" before, though.

Number 2 - I have a rating on my license, it's an Airplane Single Engine (Sea) rating. Have heard of lots of people adding IRs to their license issued on the basis of a foreign license, too.

FFF
--------------