PDA

View Full Version : Standardization, standardization

Rollingthunder
19th Jan 2004, 04:14
If there's one thing I have been saying for the last 30 years, that is it. Splitting the order between two regional jet types is foolish as was 6 or 7 fleet types previously and today. Want to drive costs up - invest in multiple types beyond two manufacturers.

"Regional Jet Arbitration Begins

On January 17th the regional jet arbitration between Air Canada, Air Canada Jazz and their respective pilot groups commenced with the assistance of arbitrator Martin Teplitsky. Settlement of this dispute, over which pilot group (Air Canada mainline or Air Canada Jazz) will fly the new Bombardier and Embraer regional jets the Company has on order, is one of the closing conditions of the Trinity Time investment agreement.

The purpose of the meeting today was limited to hearing the parties on the preliminary issue of whether the proceeding should be an ‘interest’ or ‘rights’ based arbitration, namely he would determine which pilot group would do the flying or he would interpret the collective agreements to determine which group has the right to fly the new jets. Arbitrator Teplitsky has reserved his ruling on this preliminary issue until the hearing on the merits is concluded, while highlighting the importance of reaching a satisfactory and timely resolution of the new aircraft allocation given its critical importance to the Air Canada restructuring. "

STC
19th Jan 2004, 10:58
Having a split fleet isn't as dumb as you think. American Eagle learned the advantage when their ATR fleet was prohibited from operating in icing conditions. If it wasn't for the option of moving the SAAB 340 fleet north for the winter and concentrating the ATR fleet in the south, they would have lost a ton of money while the icing problem was worked out.

Its not always a good thing to have all your eggs in one basket.

bcflyer
24th Jan 2004, 02:07
I hate to say it but I don't think Air Canada's decision was fueled by such common sense thinking as not putting all your eggs in one basket. Unfortunately it probably boiled down to keeping the two pilot groups (alpa and acpa) happy. Give the CRJ's to Jazz and the Emb to Mainline. Of course thats all in arbitration right now so nobody really knows for sure. It's interesting how the order was split right down the middle. 45 from each manufacturer.