PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tower ATCO training (or ATSA jobs)

duncanindevon
8th Jan 2004, 23:52
Happy new year everyone.

I’m an ex-NATS student (yes, yet another one!) who screwed up a couple of approach radar summatives just before Christmas and got binned (despite having a previously perfect clean sheet) 4 days before what would have been my finishing/posting date :rolleyes:

My details have been passed to the appropriate personnel people within NATS to try to find me an ATSA job, but it’s really not looking good. Despite all of the above, I still have my heart set on being an ATCO eventually – it’s definitely the job I was put on this earth to do, and even six weeks of OJT at Heathrow in July/August last year hasn’t put me off…

I’ve read replies to this sort of post before, so I know that I will probably have to settle for being an ATSA in the short term, which is OK, and that jobs don’t just fall in your lap. What I’m asking is – given that I have my tower rating, does anyone on here know of places at the moment which would give consideration to employing me as an ATSA in the short term with a view to starting training for a tower validation at some point in the future? Outright job offers would be great :p but I don’t have that sort of luck, so rumours, suggestions, anything would be good – I'm not hearing much good news from NATS at the moment.

Thanks!
Duncan.

PS. I should make it clear that I don't mind whereabouts in the UK, or how much I'd get paid - the job is the important bit!

flower
9th Jan 2004, 01:15
Duncan
I think we may have met when you visited Cardiff, sorry you weren't successful.
At the moment you are feeling naturally a great deal of disappointment, see what NATS have to offer and take your time viewing your options.
There are a good number of Tower only ATCOs out there so i wouldn't hold out a massive amount of hope. You may find your options increase if you can do an Approach rating at one of the other ATC colleges one of which is at Cwmbran in Wales.
Good Luck sorry I cannot offer more info for you.

360BakTrak
9th Jan 2004, 03:56
It all depends on what sort of unit you want to work at really, ie size.

The best way is to print loads and loads of CV's and covering letters and bang em' out to every Air Traffic unit in the country, it worked for me!

If you need any more help send me a PM.

Good Luck,

valley boy
9th Jan 2004, 05:19
Greetings Duncan,
The ATC College as mentioned in Cwmbran is Dundridge College.www.dundridgecollege.com
They have been involved with military training for years, but are in the process of obtaining SRG approval for UK civil ATC training, hopefully the first Approach course starting in March.
Best of luck with your career.
VB

Connex
9th Jan 2004, 06:35
Duncan in devon -

Quote: “so I know that I will probably have to settle for being an ATSA in the short term, which is OK,”

So glad to hear it - We look forward to you gracing us with your presence – which will take away yet another potential transfer/redeployment/promotional position from the ATSA in-house workforce. Give the job to a serving Assistant, who has earnt the right to apply, and in all probability, will be better at it anyway.

CATC Bournemouth and PCS – take note!!
:mad:

Dan Dare
9th Jan 2004, 06:45
Hello again Duncan,

You have recognised that you have stepped a few rungs down on the food chain (statistically), and everything now is down to being in the right place at the right time. All is not lost and I have known people to have benefitted from a similar career move. It isn't unknown for someone to get straight into a Class D controlled airodrome. One chopped member of my course was earning far more than his NATS counterparts for many years, and he was where he wanted to be as well!

If you really aren't that lucky go through the AIP and find the many Tower only fields out there. They are the most likely to have difficulty with numbers. You would be very fortunate to be paid during initial MER training, but once you have validated the initial rating you would be much more marketable elsewhere.

You will already know the glamour airfileds, but have you considered:

1. Lands End
2. Shoreham
3. Oxford
4. Redhill
5. Booker
6. Oxford (possibly now SERCo?)
7. Swansea
8. Coventry
9. Woodvale

These are off the top of my head, but there should be many more. Don't delay though, you now only have 6 months to commence MER, otherwise you would have to sit an expensive assessment of previous competance.

Best of luck!

Fly Through
9th Jan 2004, 14:36
Hi Duncan,
Well great to hear the enthusiasm, you'll need it!! :O
Went exactly the same way myself awhile back, that first validation is the killer. I had to do the MER unpaid for 3 months to get that validation but it was worth all the struggling in the end. As was mentioned above bombard everyone & anyone in ATC, arrange visits to some of the smaller airfields and see what happens. If you're down on the south coast I can recommend a visit to Shoreham, go talk to John Haffenden and meet the guys, if they can't help they might know someone who can. Also give Serco a bell, offer to train unpaid initially (they'll love that) but they need people for those outer lying places (North Denes :oh: ) but it'll get your foot in the door.

Anyway good luck in what ever you do and when you start building up those rejection letters, just keep trying, it'll happen sooner or later.

Rgds FT

Barnaby the Bear
9th Jan 2004, 17:28
Duncan,
I was in the same position a few years ago. I am a valid controller, so don't give up.
It is slightly different now, with the 6 month limit, and you may find some difficulty finding a company that will allow you to train for free. Something to do with insurance.
But don't let that stop you. Get your CV out and good luck :ok:

radar707
9th Jan 2004, 19:57
Duncan, try HIAL, they are always in need of people to work out in those far to reach places in the British Isles, if you are successful they will also put you through the approach (procedural) course, but it will tie you to them for a few years for them to recoup the initial costs of the course, the loophole that existed a few years ago has now been closed.

duncanindevon
9th Jan 2004, 19:59
Thanks for all your comments guys - gives me a bit more hope!

Connex - I'm sorry if I offended you with my posting. I can only say that I don't mean to imply that being an ATSA would be in any way inferior - it's just not what I want to do as a career.

Duncan.

Bright-Ling
9th Jan 2004, 21:29
DinD....

Don't worry about Connex's remarks. Go for what you want.

Others to Consider are Battersea Heliport, Southend, Leeds, Shoreham - all of which have taken ex NATS cadets in the same position as yourself.

Good luck (from a Roborough bloke!!)

B-L

Gonzo
9th Jan 2004, 22:03
B-L,

Roborough? Now that I didn't know! "When I were a lad..." I used to walk up on to Shaugh Prior or above Cadover Bridge with my airband!

Bright-Ling
9th Jan 2004, 22:42
I would say "****** me" but I have been told not to say that in earshot of you!!

:)

(and your pervy obsessions with yr scanner are yr own lookout fella!!!)

And before Jerricho pipes up - NO we were NOT seperated at birth!

So - who's http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/sex.gif who in the tower these days then.......?

B-L

flower
10th Jan 2004, 00:41
Regarding the 6 months on the Student licence.
Now someone somewhere told me that you could renew your student licence at a cost.
How true that is I do not know but if you are keen then it should be something to look into if you have no joy at an early stage in finding work.
I'm glad there are a lot of people giving you positive pointers Duncan, Fingers crossed.

Miles Magister
10th Jan 2004, 01:56
Don't forget VT Aerospace who run quite a few airfields for the RAF, many of which do not have radar so they may not worry about your course.

They have been short of peolple at Wyton so it is worth a try.

Good luck

duncanindevon
10th Jan 2004, 02:03
Flower (and others) - I checked with SRG this afternoon.

A student licence acquired before 16th December will last for a year. If you start a UTP before the year is up, it can be extended f.o.c. for 2 more years. If you don't start a UTP before the year is up, an APC will be necessary.

Student licences issued AFTER 16th December only last for 6 months.

Flower - yes, we met at Cardiff. Hope Aidan (from my course) is getting on OK there!

Gonzo - I know Shaugh and Cadover very well - no doubt Plymouth Approach is better received up there than in Yelverton!

Thanks again for all your help.

D in D.

Connex
10th Jan 2004, 07:32
DinD –

In the light of recent requests to keep in-house NATS issues away from the public gaze, I would have preferred to place this post on the dedicated NATS forum, but I don’t know if you have access to it. Therefore, it’s on here.

You did not offend me with your posting. I simply responded to an item which is something of a sore point at the moment, and is going to be of greater significance when the Company starts wielding the redundancy axe at the ATSAs. There will be more ATSAs than myself bemoaning the fact that the Company was happy with appointing ex-cadets to ATSA positions. Things are going to change for the ATSA workforce, and not for the better. Each Unit knows basically how it will be affected. You ATSAs out there who are keeping quiet on this one, (and other issues) and who will eventually be the subject of redundancy or enforced redeployment might well regret not making a stand against this procedure (EGCC/EGLL ATSAs take note!).

Look at it from the ATSA side. What has an ex-cadet done to deserve an ATSA job? Nothing! They haven’t passed an ATSA assessment.They have achieved nothing – they failed! Even more reason to refuse such a request if its abundantly clear that the intention of the applicant is to elbow the ATSA post if an ATCO post is offered, which is unlikely if they couldn’t cut the mustard the first time around! So we end up with staff who don’t really want the job, and have effectively blocked a genuine applicant from getting it. There would be revolution in the ATCO ranks if a similar scheme snatched away potential in-house ATCO positions. You can bet your life on it that their Union would have something to say about it. What do we hear from PCS? Speak up chaps – I can’t hear you. As usual.

Sadly, we are now the Company “whipping boys”. ATCOs think we are overpaid, have little or no value/importance, and all we are good for is reading newspapers all day. No support, no respect, no nothing – when it comes to assessing our position and standing within the Company and with our peers, it don’t get much worse.

For some of us, it won’t be long before the only skill we will need is to make sure the guy standing in front of us wants a large fries with his Big Mac. If we want to remain an integral and valuable part of ATC, then the ATSAs must get off their ar*es and do something now! Its also time for the Union to do the right thing – speak to us, find out what’s going on, and get the house in order. Try to save what we still have before its too late – not least of all our self respect.

PS: Nice touch – the ATCO troops rallying to the cause on this post – pity the ATSAs can’t do the same. If we don’t change our attitude now, our apathy will be the instrument of our own demise. And it will serve us right.

Partly Achieved
10th Jan 2004, 16:08
Duncan -

"Been there - done that"

- I was in your position about 7 years ago. I got a job as an ACPO at Swanwick and then on to be an operational ATSA at an airport. Spent 4 fantastic and invaluable years as an ATSA and then, with a bit of luck and a lot of help from my friends, went back to Bournemouth. I'm now a valid tower/approach radar ATCO.

- my point being: it can be done! Just stick with it.

Connex -

Agree with most of what you say, except -

What has an ex-cadet done to deserve an ATSA job? Nothing! They haven’t passed an ATSA assessment.They have achieved nothing

Except they would have passed the ATCO assesment - comparable to the ATSA assesment? And they will have done (at least) the "foundation" course (Aerodrome1?) at Bournemouth - again, comparable to the ATSA course? (I've done both)

ATCOs think we [ATSAs] are overpaid, have little or no value/importance, and all we are good for is reading newspapers all day. No support, no respect, no nothing

NOT true at all NATS units!

P-A

2 sheds
11th Jan 2004, 05:17
Partly

Well done for your comments on the more bitter and twisted remarks from Connex. I can assure the latter that all ATCOs whom I know hold any colleagues, ATSA or ATCO, in high regard if they know and perform their job well. It is quite correct that probably a "chopped" ATCO trainee would be well suited to being offered an ATSA post if one were available, and that is a condition of course. However, it is also dependent on suitability and attitude, and is by no means automatic. If such a vacancy is available, I do not see how this affects any existing ATSAs. A relevant consideration is that given the right attitude, actually a chopped ATCO trainee has a far greater insight, for example, for ATC training simulation than an ATSA who has not had that advantage.

Duncan

We know each other well from your last courses! I think that there is a lot of good advice above. If you make noises to Serco, they of course have a number of relatively small units, possibly including the sh*t end of the market like leave reliefs, and also units overseas of course. My spies tell me that Serco are about to lose the contract at Southend (and Biggin Hill?) so overtures to those two would be appropriate direct.

Another thought is - how about getting an AFISO licence? Not sure of the cost, though your (unvalidated) Aerodrome Control rating might give you some dispensation. It would certainly open up many more possibilities - consult SRG.

All the best - "get on with it"!!

2 sheds

lost in london
11th Jan 2004, 06:28
well duncs good to see you were true to your word and that you're trying what you can to find something.
wish you all the best and hope you take into account everyone's suggestions about serco and afiso might not be perfect but it's a good start.
have a good luck at euro control they're still recruiting but you may have problems having already tried a licensing course.
good luck and speak soon l in l

forevertraining
11th Jan 2004, 06:50
Ok Duncan?

Sorry to hear about the approach course it was a bit of a shock for people who know you and are away from the college, when everyone was so close to passing.

Good to see that you are getting lots of good and advice and that you are still going for the job you want. It certainly can take a lot of perseverance to get through the training i certainly can vouch for that.

Any way just wanted to say all the best for the future and keep in touch.

Pingu

P.S Connex i can assure you that as a TATC holding with the ATSA's they are an integral part of the team. From personal experience the information and teaching that I have received from ATSA's at EGPH and EGHI have helped me no end with my studies.

duncanindevon
11th Jan 2004, 08:08
2 sheds - I *think* I know who you are - but I won't let on! Thanks for the note - I'm not giving up that easily but a FISO licence sounds like a possibility, perhaps when I start building up rejection letters!

'Lost' - work hard mate - it's a lonely world to begin with when they close the door behind you. Knowing you you'll be better tha fine though. My card playing's getting rusty already, but no doubt Gatwick's general card skills have improved courtesy of you know who...
Had a look, but Eurocontrol won't take a NATS failure, but right now I think I need some real world experience!!

Pingu - I forgot that you would have been a little out of the loop, and thanks for your comments. Happy New Year - I think! Get back to the college and do some work!

D in D.

left outer, right inner
11th Jan 2004, 23:46
Hi all!

'...but no doubt Gatwick's general card skills have improved courtesy of you know who...'

Could that be me by any chance?
:ok: Dunc I will continue to do what I can to help you wrt to possible posts becoming available. There has been a load of good advice here and it is cool to hear from everyone!

I havent managed to get a game of sh1thead in at the unit yet. Damn shame:}

LORI

bagpuss lives
11th Jan 2004, 23:56
As you may already know I admire you greatly for sticking to your guns and being as upholding with some of your principles as you are :ok:

Being so forthright I do hope you're an Union rep?

BUT - I really really really can't relate to "ATCOs think we are overpaid, have little or no value/importance, and all we are good for is reading newspapers all day."

I know of maybe one colleague with that attitude - perhaps not even he/she to be honest.

ILS 119.5
12th Jan 2004, 09:38
I gave this advice to a previous ppruner. Go and get a loan and take the procedural rating. I know it's a lot of money, but if you are confident that you can do the job then it's worth it. Once you pass then ADC/APC ratings increase your employment rating by far. As previous people have said there are far too many ex cadets with ADC only. It's like someone leaving school with one O'level rather than eight. Who would you employ? Unfortunately, you have failed part of the course. This does not mean that you would not be a good controller but that is a fault of the system. The college does not bear any resemblance to the real world and I think that the whole training system should be changed. NATS do get rid of some cadets who can do the job and some whe can't. If you really believe you can do the job confidently and professionally then there should be no reason to stop you. Think of all the ATPL's who have funded themselves privately and now working for major airlines. They might of borrowed 60k and paying off slowly but they are doing what they want to do for a living. What about university students and their loans?
I hope this advice may give you another insight to furthering your career, and hope you get what you want but you must realise that you cannot always rely on another company carrying on from where you left off. Listen to what everyone else has said and leave no avenue unexplored. All the replies you have had are from personal experience (I think), and you are quite lucky that that you are having help. This forum was not about in my early days but we all know the system and have lost many friends because of it. I've heard speeches and seen tears over lost colleagues but to no avail. It's a bitch.
Why not train as an ATPL, it's easier. Good Luck

Connex
13th Jan 2004, 06:17
Niteflite01 –

Sorry to disappoint – I am not a Union rep. They wouldn’t want me upsetting the applecart at the meetings! I am, however, a Union member, and yes, I do speak to my reps, who respond with selective hearing and a penchant for keeping all information to themselves. I am never informed of anything directly – it always comes from alternative sources. I suppose I’m just too confrontational for them. (By the way, have you been given any information about the ATSA pay negotiations as of today?)

As for the “ATCOs think we’re overpaid etc etc” – sorry, but I have had that little chestnut levelled at me at both my Unit and on this forum. I can remember being told of the ATCO/ATSA divide on my first day – many years have passed since then, but the situation is still the same. The retirement of some of the old Civil Service/ex-RAF personnel has eased the situation somewhat, and I am the first to admit that not all ATCOs share this feeling, but some definitely do. The worrying trend is the appearance of this phenomenon within the ranks of new/student ATCOs fresh from the College. What ARE they teaching them down there?

Partly Achieved-

I accept your points about the courses, although I would point out that neither one is relevant when placed against the Unit ATSA validation, which is the one that really counts. If they can’t pass that, then they’re in the sh*t. The only reason they are retained is because the Company has shelled out a lot of time and hard cash on them before they bombed out – not because they’re good ATSA material. The Company’s idealogy and attitude with regard to ATSA promotion, selection etc is completely farcical. The Union doesn’t help the situation because it allows it to go unchallenged.

I keep my ear to the ATSA grapevine, and liase regularly with friends at other Units. Perhaps somebody should ask the EGLL ATSAs – not the ATCOs - if the appointment of ex-cadets over the years has been a resounding success? (I doubt that you will get a response on here, however).

The best people to judge whether ex-cadets make good Assistants are the Assistants themselves. I do not accept, nor support the belief that they do – their heart is not in it.

bagpuss lives
13th Jan 2004, 06:27
Nope, I haven't seen anything about the ATSA's pay deal at all, in fact the only bit of info I have seen is a snippet someone gave to me that was taken from today's intranet about the pay deal being put to the union. Nothing about PCS at all, sorry.

Connex
13th Jan 2004, 19:57
Niteflite01 -

thanks for looking anyway. Now, where's my local rep?
:hmm:

flower
13th Jan 2004, 22:53
Connex,
its some years since I was at the college, but certainly when I was there ATSAs didn't play a prominent part within our syllabus.
I suspect if the attitude is coming out of the college it may be more to lack of knowledge and that natural arrogance that we all of us had when we first left Bournemouth.
I was told on my very first day in the real world of ATC that the college had taught me how to ride a bicycle , now I had to learn how to drive a formula one racing car.

I am unable to make any comments on how ATSAs are regarded or treated outside of my own ATC world, where I work we are a small unit and the ATSA sat beside you in Approach can make all the difference to you especially in a very busy radar session. We work as a team, no them and us, and the only them and us I have seen has been from some now retired ATSAs at a previous unit of mine.

Regarding should failed students be offered the opportunity of retraining as ATSAs. I am glad i am in a company who try to find alternative employment for failed students, whether an ATSA position is apt should be down to the individual concerned. I would like to see a proper selection process applied and more importantly a proper training course and Unit training plan for all new ATSA staff.
I can understand the great disappointment of those failed students and possibly the chip on a few of their shoulders will disappear with time.
I believe the ability of units to be able to employ their own ATSA staff recruiting locally is more appropriate however, perhaps then we will get people in who genuinely wish to do the work and don't in some way feel it is a let down.

Connex
14th Jan 2004, 05:21
Flower –

Some very interesting points there. First time I have ever seen an admittance of the “natural arrogance” we now regularly see in the ex-cadets, and more especially in the newly-validated ATCOs joining the Unit for local validation training. Also a surprise to see that ATSAs were also exhibiting the us-and-them syndrome – were they ex-military/Civil Service or cadet failures themselves?

I, too, support the concept of local recruitment, especially from experienced operational aviation personnel. I am also glad that the Company has a human (compassionate?) side, and sees fit to try to retain and employ persons who haven’t made the grade. However, this should not be confused with the idea that all ex-cadets should automatically be considered for ATSA posts. As I said previously, their heart is not in it, and they will inevitably jump ship at the first opportunity. It is this attitude that I strongly object to. The Company knows it goes on, but does nothing about it – and neither does the Union. All of it is achieved at the expense of an ATSA workforce which is already restricted in its promotion/transfer prospects, and looks certain to be facing dramatic change in the near future. Small wonder that some of us feel undermined and undervalued!

I do not wish to deter DinD from pursuing a successful ATC career. However, one can see from his original posting exactly where his priorities lie, and his pursuance of an ATSA position (hopefully using the Company’s policy of ex-cadet retention) is only a means of remaining within the Company until such an opportunity arises, either in or out of NATS. As I have said, this will be done at the expense of another ATSA, who may also be waiting for such a vacancy.

For those of you out there reading this who are waiting for a transfer/promotion opportunity, just remember – it might be YOUR opportunity that gets given away to an “under-achiever” on this basis - and you probably won't even know anything about it.

As an aside, and in reply to niteflite01 – the grapevine reports today that the ATSA pay award is to basically mirror the ATCO 15%, but with strings. Primarily, 8% rise, plus a further 7% conditional on our acceptance of changes to national and local WPs, tied in with 85 ATSA redundancies, the savings thus generated being put into the cashpot to be used to partly fund the ATCO pay rise!! I am already practising putting my X in the “NO” box just in case this turns out to be true!! What a f*****g nerve! Union allegedly has a meeting tomorrow, and maybe we shall learn more after that. Always a danger in listening to rumour, I admit, but it is more than is coming from the PCS hierarchy – care to comment, guys?
:hmm:

flower
14th Jan 2004, 05:28
Connex,
The ATSAs concerned were as far as I am aware always ATSAs employed by the CAA and then NATS.

Natural arrogance is a pre requisite for all ex students , be they ATCOs , Doctors or any other job. It is the joy of being a student to believe you know everything, it is only years on that all of us can look back and realise how little we actually knew.

wlatc
14th Jan 2004, 20:58
Please visit http://atcea.com for information regarding Air Traffic Control Training.

Bev Bevan
15th Jan 2004, 03:08
Connex,

Over the years, I have worked alongside a good number of ATSAs who are failed students.. (I am a locally-recruited ATSA myself) and can honestly say that they have been as motivated and hard-working as any of the locally-recruited ATSAs. Why waste the knowledge that they have aquired on the course?

I really dont have a problem with it.

Connex
15th Jan 2004, 05:57
Barnaby the Bear –

I look at your post and I notice an instant difference in your case to my line on this thread – and that is that you have already served time as an ATSA before going to the College. Unfortunately it didn’t work out for you, but I would bet my bottom dollar that you didn’t return to the fold with your head stuck up your ar*e and your attitude clouded with Student ATCO College sh*t. I have seen the same thing on a number of occasions, and I do not remember there ever being an attitude issue with the returning ATSA (or ex-cadet, if you prefer). You did your time, earned your chance at the College, and went for it.

This is in complete contrast to the straight-from-the-Uni student entrant. He/she bombs out, gets a posting as an ATSA (the Company’s way of trying to salvage something from the wasted expenditure), and then promptly takes the “I suppose it’s better than nothing (just) – at least until I get another shot at a real job” attitude. They have no desire to be there, other than to earn money, nor do they show any mutual respect to those of the same grade with whom they now have to work with. The “sour grapes” were swallowed in Bournemouth on the day they were shown the door – they are not, and never have been, on the ATSA “menu” at my Unit.

BevBevan –

Over the years, hand on heart, I have not seen the same level of motivation or commitment from the majority of those ex-cadets who have graced the Unit I work at. And, having been in the front line for over 10 years when it came down to training them up to Unit validation level, I feel I am in a good position to be able to comment on this. Yes, they are capable of doing the job – but that is most definitely NOT the same as truly WANTING to do it! I will willingly take a transferring/promoted ATSA or a locally-recruited, aviation-based outsider in preference to an ex-College “under-achiever” every time, and I am certain that the majority of my training colleagues would say likewise. Their drive, motivation and desire to do well is always apparent right from the start. Also, by recruiting existing ATSAs or outsiders, I do not have to put up with the constant whining, escape-planning and “I was SO unlucky to get chopped” hard luck stories that I inevitably get from Day 1 from the ex-cadets. The final insult to all our hard work and effort in getting them validated is to see them constantly knock the job, the staff and the value of our input until they finally sail off into the sunset. If they’re that good, then you can have them all with my blessing – it’ll make my job a whole lot easier.

ILS 119.5
15th Jan 2004, 07:14
Guys, Gals' Guys,Gal's, we are all here to do a job, teamwork is the first prioity. ATCO's/ATSA's who cares ,we are all here to work as a team. No divide, all equal, some earn more than others cos they have a licence and they will be on the chopping block if something happens. Let's just work together and have a good time.What will you be doing in the year 2060?

2 sheds
16th Jan 2004, 05:36
Well said, ILS. Instead of hijacking Duncan's thread asking for advice and information, why don't the bolshy contributors who want to gripe about their conditions and the alleged attitude of - some - former trainee ATCOs just bog off to another thread?

Connex
16th Jan 2004, 23:22
2 sheds -

Nobody is hijacking anything - this is an open forum, and all of us are allowed to express our views.

Keep the abusive tone and language out of your messages Connex. If you can't be polite then don't bother making a post. - PPRuNe Radar

ILS 119.5
18th Jan 2004, 00:52
I have seen the ATCO/ATSA divide which was 13 years ago. In todays working environment there should never be a divide. As I said earlier we should all work together.
Connex
your attitude is disgusting, as you say this is an open forum you should not tell anyone to f off because of their opinion. In the real world, I don't know what you do, the training system causes some people to fail. Their attitude is unfortunate, but this can be changed. They and we are all equal. Whatever this thread concludes, in my opinion, we should all work together as a team for the safety of the aviation business. You can all moan about the person next to you, but if they do their job correctly then all OK. If they can't then blow them out.

Radar35
21st Jan 2004, 23:54
Try HIAL - Highlands & Islands Airports, as I think was previously suggested.

If employed you will get put through your APC - Approach Procedural Course and posted to one of the following:- Benbecular, Kirkwall, Stornoway or Wick. Sumburgh is ADC only (NATS provide APR) and Inverness is HIAL's Golden Egg and only internal transfers if your lucky!!

They are not the busiest of Units but give you experience and after a couple of years you can leg it back to the real world!!

They are always short of ATCO's, and even if their reply is "We are fully Staffed", they do not live in the real world in management, and will get back to you asking you for an interview.

Good Luck!

Connex
25th Jan 2004, 05:03
2 sheds, ILS 119.9 and all other readers out there -

After being in the "sin bin" for a week, I hereby apologise for my rant, for which I was suitably reprimanded by the moderator. I shall try to maintain a better level of integrity in future.

As to the content and direction of the thread itself, however, I will not change my opinion on this matter, and I still consider it to be of sufficient relevance to be debated on pprune. So, 2 sheds, you'll just have to put up with it, I'm afraid.

bad_influence
26th Jan 2004, 17:01
Quote:
They are always short of ATCO's, and even if their reply is "We are fully staffed", they do not live in the real world in management, and will get back to you asking you for an interview.

Changed days at HIAL as they are 'fully staffed' and there are no vacancies. In fact there are more ATCOs than required. Inverness, Kirkwall, Stornoway and Wick are all one over complement and there is no-one in a desperate rush to leave.

Barnaby the Bear
23rd Feb 2004, 03:24
DID
Check your PM's ;)

360BakTrak
24th Feb 2004, 03:16
I presume Barnaby's PM was about the Lands End job?.....if not check his post Duncan!

Roger Dodge
27th Feb 2004, 19:13
Connex

Have you ever applied for an ATCO post?

Connex
28th Feb 2004, 01:17
RD -

No, I have not applied for an ATCO cadetship either before or since I joined the Company. Too far down the line and too settled now for any career change - ATSA 'til the end.

forevertraining
13th Mar 2004, 00:13
Duncan just heard that you might have a tower job.

Hope the rumours are true for once, let us know if you have.

All the best,

Pingu

Barnaby the Bear
13th Mar 2004, 19:24
Congratulations Duncan.
You will enjoy working down there. Chris knows what he is doing.
Good luck :ok:

duncanindevon
13th Mar 2004, 21:53
Yes, it's all true! Finally!

I was very impressed with the set-up - it may be small, but it's professional - I'm looking forward to starting.

Barnaby - thanks for the heads-up.

D.

Barnaby the Bear
13th Mar 2004, 23:05
No worries.
From what I have heard it can get quite busy in the summer.
A good place to get going.
Enjoy the sunshine!.....Or should that be fog?!:cool:

2 sheds
14th Mar 2004, 04:38
Duncan

Congratulations - very pleased for you. Have no regrets at all for what might have been and enjoy your new future.

I will predict that you will look on it as the best thing to have happened - AND you will be at the grass roots of real aviation, not running a sausage machine at an airport where you can't even get out on the airfield.

Keep in touch

2 sheds

left outer, right inner
14th Mar 2004, 14:06
Congrats mate!!!!!

Know you could do it- who wants to work at a 'sausage machine' anyway?:p

So when do you start then? How long will it take to validate etc etc? Too many questions!

All the best mate and speak soon

LORI

duncanindevon
14th Mar 2004, 18:00
Thanks all (posted and private messages). I'm glad to hear that it is a Good Thing! I'm only a little concerned that I will probably lose my ADC-I rating (since EGHC has no approach unit, I guess I will only validate the ADC-V rating) but that is really nothing in comparison to losing both ratings and with them any chance of a job! I suppose I can always do an APC should I need to resurrect the ADC-I rating a few years down the line. For now though, ADC-V will do me fine.

My 'publicly publishable' email address is [email protected] - no laughing at the back...

Cheers all,

D.

Turn It Off
16th Mar 2004, 12:41
Congrats Dunc!!

I wouldn't worry too much about your adc ratings. Have you learnt to shuffle properly yet??

Regards

Turn It Off

360BakTrak
16th Mar 2004, 16:20
Congratulations!:ok:
Hope to see you there..... if I ever get round to flying down that way!! (Sort us out a cheap landing fee!!):p

vfrflyer
17th Mar 2004, 18:39
But they had apc down there in the past, didn't they? when did it change?