PDA

View Full Version : MYT emergency landing at MAN

rampman
10th Dec 2003, 04:38
a my travel flight from LBA had to make an emergency landing at MAN today (aircraft a B757 reg G-PIDS ) after passengers heard loude banging from the rear of the aircraft

it landed on runway 24L but came in very shallow as it was 8 ton's over weight the cause of the banging was a baggage strap with a metal buckle on it hanging out of the rear cargo hold

so now because someone did not do a proper walk round check at LBA the company has incured a huge cost of having to divert to MAN have the plane checked out (which is still grounded ) and put passengers on another plane ...... this is something MYT just did not need at all :(

Wycombe
10th Dec 2003, 04:44
...sounds like a very expensive bit of slackness, both by the hold net itself and the person who was supposed to check it was inside the aeroplane!

Once upon a time, I was taught that the baggage nets in the hold should be done up, even if the hold is empty :D

rampman
10th Dec 2003, 04:51
Wycombe
i was tought the same thing as well even if the hold is empyt still net it up with the nets provided .. it only takes a min :ok: and save incidents like this

someone needs shooting at LBA

carlos vandango
10th Dec 2003, 09:49
Often the walkround is done with the holds open. The last person to check the doors including holds is the traffic agent doing the pushback.

Wycombe
10th Dec 2003, 16:17
carlos.......quite right, I was obviously not implying this should have been a crew member!!

radar707
10th Dec 2003, 17:35
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure you will), but when I was a humble ATCO cadet, we were taught in the emegency phase of our training that there is no such thing as an overweight landing in a 757, I was led to believe that the aircraft is designed to land at max weight and there is no facility to dump fuel on this aircraft because of that reason!!!!

Maybe one day fam flights will return and I can adk all those questions I can never remember to ask here :sad: :sad:

Paterbrat
10th Dec 2003, 17:45
Sad to hear it, as we all know not a good time for MYT to have incidents or accidents, not that there is ever a good time for those ever. Bad luck, glad that it ended without anybody being hurt.

Nato 35
10th Dec 2003, 19:46
Just to clear up a couple of points, Mr Boeing does build his aeroplanes very well but any landing over 89811 kg will require an overweight landing check. And secondly the landing would be completely normal (no shallow app), but a little more care might have been taken on the flare.:cool:

Trident Tested
10th Dec 2003, 20:16
Isn't G-PIDS the kite that was nicknamed G-Pax In Deep S*** due to going tech more frequently than most?:)

Glad all on board are ok and as always priase to the crew for their professionalism.

No tabloid banner headlines on this one yet then ...:bored:

davethelimey
12th Dec 2003, 00:02
Is it Mytravel that have just announced a £9 million loss?

And (for any of the Tech Log bods who have made the trip) isn't eight tons a hell of a lot to be overweight by? If anyone can make the appropriate technical explanation I'd appreciate it.

Ta.

Bob Brown
12th Dec 2003, 00:08
£900M....................................................... ............................

shlittlenellie
12th Dec 2003, 00:21
Both the 757 and 767 can safely land at any weight up to the maximum takeoff weight and that can differ considerably from the declared max landing weights (up to 28t for the 757 and 44t for the 767-300).

At any weight over the declared maximum landing weight, as has been pointed out, an overweight landing check must be completed and due consideration given to landing distance, approach speed vs landing flap speed limits (for the 767-300) and brake temperatures.

davethelimey
12th Dec 2003, 19:36
Good stuff, thanks guys.

Bob: I thought it was £900m, but that just sounded so totally freakish that I put it down to a personal mental hiccup.

The CEO has some sober explaning to do, I suppose.