PDA

View Full Version : use of the term "Company"

zoink
8th Dec 2003, 01:06
Hi All

Am I correct in believing that the term "company" is used as a way of shortening messages by ground or tower controllers and that the term is used to describe the airline company that is the same as the aircraft the message is been passed to?

eg give way to company airbus 320

Thanks
z..

radar707
8th Dec 2003, 01:35
The short answer is Yes.

It is also used when a pilot is requested to contact the ops department on "box 2" (the 2nd radio on the aircraft, i.e "speedbird 2959, can you call company on box 2."

The "follow / after the landing / departing company" is as you say a way of controllers not having to say British Airways, British Midland, etc etc. reduces the RT workload.

As a cautionary note, it should only be used when the a/c is positively identified as another "company" aircraft and not one leased from another operator as often happens when aircraft have technical problems

Crepello
8th Dec 2003, 02:49
This occurred to me when learning to in S. California:
- Aircraft aloft were referred to as 'traffic' on the tower/departure frequencies.
- Taxiing aircraft were referred to as 'company' on the ground frequency.

I inferred the distinction was between airborne and taxiing acft, though the above reply suggests 'company' just meant other GA traffic.

Can anyone confirm?

BoeingMEL
8th Dec 2003, 03:47
If you are taxying say an AA aircraft and are made aware of "Company Aircraft" approaching..... that means an aircraft operated by the same airline. OK? BM

Crepello
8th Dec 2003, 11:29
Yes BM, I gathered that from radar707's post.

I'd merely sought to clarify: If I'm taxiing a C152, 'company' means another Cessna? Seems rather subtle but I get the point. It's one of the many facets that isn't covered in basic training. I appreciate those that take the time to explain.

Gonzo
8th Dec 2003, 13:43
Crepello,

I know of places that will describe another aircraft from the same flying school or club as company, maybe that was it?

radar707
8th Dec 2003, 16:42
Crepello, if you were taxying in your C172 and I needed you to wait for another Cessna to pass, I wouldn't refer to it as company, we (at least at Glasgow) don't class the smae manufacturer as "Company", just the same operator.

Jerricho
8th Dec 2003, 18:18
I guess on the ground at LHR, the use of "give way to company Concorde" was not heard that often? Or was it only Point 7?

Crepello
9th Dec 2003, 01:57
I've been told of 'company' on several occasions, assumed it was a generic term for taxiing acft so didn't note whose planes they were. I'll pay closer attention in future!

Thanks for the info guys - appreciated.

100% N1
9th Dec 2003, 02:36
Maybe the controller was using slang and referred to company as in 'you have company' rather than 'caution company traffic'. I've never heard the term used when talking about someone in a C152 or something, so it's possible I guess :ok:

av8boy
10th Dec 2003, 13:36
Having done ATC time at GA airports in SoCal, the only time I've ever heard a 172 or PA28 called "company" on freq was when it was from the same flight school. I would point out, however, that my lack of exposure to other uses of the term as applied to light aircraft does not prove that the term is only used in the way I've heard it used. In other words, I've not been all places at all times, much as I've tried. :ugh:

Dave