PDA

View Full Version : Manchester Islander?

bolmas
30th Nov 2003, 19:31
I HAVE SEEN WHAT I THINK IS AN ISLANDER FITTED WITH TURBO PROPS FLYING OVER THE MANCHESTER/BOLTON AREAS. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT ITS FOR AND WHO OWNS IT. WAS IT BUILT WITH TURBOPROP OR CONVERTED LATER, OR IS IT A ONE OFF?

MANY THANKS

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Nov 2003, 20:05
I beleive it belongs to the Manchester Police. It's based at Manchester, unlike their turbine helicpter, which is Barton based. They apparently can't base the Isander at Barton since our bumpy runways would wreck its under-nose high tech camera equipment.

Cheshire Police have a piston Islander which is based at Liverpool. I beleiuve they keep the wheel-nuts done up very tight:)

SSD

spekesoftly
30th Nov 2003, 20:22
The Cheshire Police Islander moved from Liverpool to Hawarden several years ago.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
30th Nov 2003, 23:39
A wise move:)

SSD

PS. I think I remeber this now. Wasn't there some vandalism to police helo or aeroplane at Liverpool that made them move to Chester?

spekesoftly
1st Dec 2003, 02:22
Couldn't say for sure, but my guess is that the incident to which you refer happened some years before the Cheshire Police A/C was first based at L'pool. Unlikely, therefore, to have been germane to a subsequent move?

BartonBoy
2nd Dec 2003, 15:57
Yep it's most definately Manchester Polices Islander. It does regularly contact Barton Air traffic for information in the local area sometimes over Bolton. There is also an islander based at Huddersfield/crosland moor although this is not the turboprop variant. For your information the registration is: GGMPS and she regularly gives barton a low approach and go around.

BB:ok:

Woomera
3rd Dec 2003, 06:45
bolmas. Seems no one answered your question?

Brittain Norman produced a turbine BN2T Islander, usually termed a Defender, which had Allison 250-B17C turbine engines and Hartzell three bladed props, but in other respects, was the same as the Lycoming piston engine powered 260 and 300 HP Islander (two blade props) - although some later Defenders may have had the longer Trislander nose installed?

http://www.wessex-aero.com/dbimg/JSPC.jpg

I'm in Australia so can't confirm what you may have seen in UK skys. The Defender was never very popular in this part of the world, but I did see one in Asia some years ago. Whilst there is a place in aviation for the STOL Islander, there is also a rumour the Islander is Britain's revenge on the colonies! :}

The gas turbine engines were similar to the Bell 206 helicopter engine. They were also fitted to another aircraft we don't care to think too much about, the Australian built GAF N22/N24 Nomad. :yuk:

MightyGem
5th Dec 2003, 03:56
The Army Air Corps also operate a number of BN2', mainly in Northern Ireland. Also, I think the RAF may have one or two.