PDA

View Full Version : Return to GLA 27/11 with Darth Vader

Momo
28th Nov 2003, 18:08
On BA1493 LHR-GLA at 17:20 last week, we were 10 minutes out of GLA when Darth Vader came on and told us we had to return to GLA because the air conditioning had a fault (which also caused the cabin lights to be turned off). Greeted by numerous fire engines on landing, which I suppose is normal procedure. Didn't ask why the oxygen masks. Anyway, if you know who was flying it, you can tell him who he sounded like.

Momo

buzz boy
28th Nov 2003, 18:21
If the Pax oxygen masks were deployed then it is reasonable to assume that the crew were on oxygen as well!! hence why he prob sounded like Darth Vader while talking through his oxygen mask microphone.

Momo
28th Nov 2003, 18:31
Sorry for any ambiguity. PAX masks were not deployed. From the sound, I am just assuming the pilots were wearing masks.

Momo

maxalt
28th Nov 2003, 18:41
Oxygen masks on in the cockpit, none in the cabin. Lighting going out and a fast return to base?

Sounds to me like an electrical smoke in the cockpit drill.

Jockflyer
29th Nov 2003, 00:32
Anybody know what really happened?

My parents were on the flight and it scared them a bit. Dad mentioned there was a 35 minute delay in departing intitally, any coincidence?

Just curious to know, to put his mind at rest.

Cheers

JF

Sonic Bam
30th Nov 2003, 19:50
Oily smell in flight deck air inbound to GLA. Re-occurred after take-off from GLA. Crew donned masks as per drills and returned to GLA. Aircraft positioned empty GLA-LHR next day for investigation.

Oily smell is usually either leaking seal in engine or cold air unit allowing oil particles into air system.

Either way no risk to aircraft or pax.

BOAC
30th Nov 2003, 20:05
Either way no risk to aircraft or pax

Just need to amplify that a bit, Sonic - there is a potential SIGNIFICANT risk to pax and crew due to the composition of modern engine oils and the possible toxic nature of fumes, and all such events are treated as extremely serious.

Another not uncommon cause is overfilling of the oil by maintenance.

AA717driver
1st Dec 2003, 00:23
jockflyer--The fact that they returned to land and took precautions in the cockpit should provice considerable reassurance.

The system works.TC

Sonic Bam
2nd Dec 2003, 04:40
For the time they were exposed to any kind of contamination the effect would be negligible. Don't be such a drama queen.:ooh: