PDA

View Full Version : weather decoding

hu
16th Mar 2002, 17:22
We decode the metar/TAF wx informaiton everyday, one day I ask myself, why . .1)MI stands for "shallow" not SA?SL?SO?SW? . .2)BC stands for patch?. .3)BR stands for mist?. .any clues for that?. . . . <small>[ 17 March 2002, 00:39: Message edited by: hu ]</small>

Brenoch
16th Mar 2002, 18:05
BR is from french Brumé meaning haze. .BC I think is banks. .MI is mince if that might be another word for shallow I´m not sure..

Chilli Monster
16th Mar 2002, 18:52
BR is actually Mist, HZ is haze

Harvey SM
16th Mar 2002, 19:16
Mince = Frensh word for 'Thin' (MI). .Brume = '' '' '' 'Mist' (BR). .And one more frog term.... grele, meaninig literally 'hail' (GR)

NorthernSky
16th Mar 2002, 19:19
BR - Bruillard (French) - fog or mist;. .MI - Mince (French) - thin or slim;. .BC - my memory fails........... .. .I always laugh when hearing foreign pilots and ATCOs speaking, upholding the view that their own language should be used for RTF exchanges and operational paperwork, and yet having no words in their own tongues for 'transponder', 'autothrottle', 'Flight Management Computer' etc, all of which are invariably spoken in american english!!

Mud Skipper
16th Mar 2002, 23:19
Yes,. .. .BC is Bancs. .. .I wish I'd known most Met terms had French connections. If only my instructors had mentioned this before I did all those Met courses years ago.

OnTheStep
16th Mar 2002, 23:46
and of course, the classic... .. .mayday=m'aidez

NorthernSky
17th Mar 2002, 01:53
Pan Pan - en panne (Fr) - breakdown

hu
17th Mar 2002, 04:47
Thanks all you guys, that was a great big help.. .I also notice there is one little mistake on my question BR=mist not haze.

PorcoRosso
18th Mar 2002, 20:29
The french touch to your guess. .. .MI stands for "Mince", thin in english. .BC is "Banc", stands for patches. .BR is "Brume" stands for mist. .. .MI is normally associated with FG, Fog, as is BC. .. .Hope it helps. .. .Northern sky, I am sorry to inform you that you are wrong on the national glossaries. .. .Transponder is called transpondeur in french, and is not a "frenchisation" of any english word. .. .Autothrottle equivalent is Automanette. .. .HSI will be called "plateau de route". .. .Few years ago, one of the culture minister wanted french to use only french words in official documentation, He had to "invent" some new words where translation was impossible ! That was funny.. .. .I concede that a lot of english/american terms are used in aviation (like FMC & FMS) but I think it deals more with the fact that a lot of french pilots are doing Type Rating overseas.. . . . <small>[ 18 March 2002, 16:40: Message edited by: PorcoRosso ]</small>