PDA

View Full Version : CAT 11 APPR based on baro DH

FE Hoppy
6th Nov 2003, 07:48
I've just found out that here on the other side of the pond a cat 2 appr can be based on a barometric min. Are there any in Europe?

OzExpat
6th Nov 2003, 16:58
I have an idea that, in some parts of Scandinavia, there are places where they use a Cat. I ILS to Cat. II minimums. I don't know too much about them though, so don't know if they use Radalt or Baro. Maybe someone else can clarify?

Miserlou
8th Nov 2003, 02:05
Never heard of it in Scandinavia. The whole point of a CAT 2 is that the approach area has been surveyed for the radar alt.

How do you do it on barometric if you have a difference on the two altimeters?

Captain Stable
8th Nov 2003, 19:25
I don't know of any in Europe. I know that there are one or two Cat II approaches in the USA which operate based on Baro altimeter because the nature of the ground below makes RadAlt readings more or less useless. As I recall, they are at airports in mountainous areas. Can't remember any more details. There was a thread a few months back which touched on this - you may find it if you do a search.

OzExpat
8th Nov 2003, 21:47
A Danish friend of mine was telling me about it some time ago. I should've been paying more attention. I shall ask him about it again and, this time, promise to take notes...

m&v
9th Nov 2003, 02:35
Captn Stable,I heard about this (it came up at a CO'standards meeting,few years ago now).FAA had given dispensation to AA???
at Cincinatti,as you say to get home base with uncharted territory below at DH(gulley/valley)..There was also a 'problem'at Seattle,I believe they tried to build a steel bridge to 'reflect'DH on the Radalt:confused:

FE Hoppy
10th Nov 2003, 06:45
There is one here in Pittsburgh. It makes tou wonder??? some aircraft use RA/BARO selections to latch cat 1 or cat 11. In this case it wont work.

411A
10th Nov 2003, 11:22
Nothing new, KLAX had CAT II approaches based on the baro altimeter twenty five years ago.
Requires specific altimeter/CADC checks (beyond the ordinary) on a regular basis.