PDA

View Full Version : th term "Charlie Charlie"

slam_dunk
16th Sep 2003, 19:09
In bad Hf communication:rolleyes: we often use the call "CC" to confirm that the atc readback the correct position report.

Does anybody know where this term comes from ???

Greetz slam_dunk

qwerty2
16th Sep 2003, 20:10
Comes from the days of Wireless Telegraphy when the letter "C" in morse code was used to confirm the receipt and understanding of a message.

Hence " That's Charlie" means " That's understood "

fourthreethree
16th Sep 2003, 22:26
I was told, by TrafficTraffic no less (so it must be true) that the term comes from the old Q-codes, of which a few are still used (QNH, QFE etc) but many have become obselete, such as QCC, meaning correct or understood or some such similar. Could be utter sh:mad: of course, but it sounded feasible to me.

chiglet
17th Sep 2003, 02:25
Have heard both, "That's Charlie" and "Charlie Charlie"
But Not "Charley":confused:
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Simtech
17th Sep 2003, 02:53
As far as I can remember there is/was no Q-code QCC - it was unassigned. Maybe the closest code is QSL (I acknowledge receipt) which was sent to confirm successful receipt of a message or instruction.

radar707
17th Sep 2003, 03:00
Don't think it comes from the old Q codes, a definitive list of which can be found here:

Q Codes (http://www.kloth.net/radio/qcodes.php#qaa)

17th Sep 2003, 04:01
Forget about Q codes, I'd go along with qwerty2; in my old job the code flag "C" meant affirm, yes, the significance of the previous group should be read in the positive, etc. It's an established thing, C means yes.

Now I'm off to eat my fish fingers, ooh argh!!

TrafficTraffic
17th Sep 2003, 04:40
Sorry 433 for the B|_|m steer there old chap I honestly thought it was a Q code....but with the comprehensive ICAO list above how could I contest it.

You learn something new everyday.

...now the last time I was worng was back in 92', ahhhh I remember the days.....

slam_dunk
17th Sep 2003, 15:44
Thanks guys, for the explanation.

:cool:

simfly
17th Sep 2003, 16:14
Bit confused over in my corner. Is it different in military speak? I was always taught that the words "charlie charlie" were used before passing a message to stations on a pre-organised list of stations, (ie, during an exercise), the words "alpha charlie" being used to pass a message to all listening stations. Got this during my time in the Air cadets.

BEXIL160
17th Sep 2003, 16:22
CT I think for a new message -.-. -

(and end of message as well ,or was that NNNN?)

Errors used to be EEE . . .

Can't remember the rest.

Rgds BEX

simonhk
17th Sep 2003, 16:36
Working in the media industry as I do, "Charlie" has a whole other meaning ;)

fourthreethree
17th Sep 2003, 16:43
TT

Bit of a typing error there??
the last time i was wrong was back in 92'
Dont you mean 9.20??;)

dogcharlietree
17th Sep 2003, 17:58
Quoting from "Air Publication 1529, Air Ministry, The 'Q' Code" book, published in 1937, there is no QCC.
However under "Miscellaneous Abbreviations" it states;
Abbreviation "C" - Meaning "Yes".
Hope this is helpful.

Arkady
17th Sep 2003, 18:25
Si Si

C C

Charlie Charlie

Simtech
18th Sep 2003, 02:32
Bex,

The morse start of transmission prosign is indeed CT (-.-.-) The end of message sign is AR (.-.-. also written as +). NNNN is the message end sign used in telex communications; the associated start of message signal is ZCZC.

18th Sep 2003, 03:58
My word, takes me back to WRU, HI, etc.!

2 sheds
18th Sep 2003, 06:08
But as the original post said, "bad ... communication.." So, if you don't even know the correct meaning of this "procedure word", why are you perpetrating this pseudo-macho RTF crap??

DrSyn
18th Sep 2003, 11:12
I think 1261 has the closest measure of it and as always the origins are historical. Much of the early aeronautical practice was adopted from the swabbos (Navy) who already had a fine system of signalling by flags, long before Marconi came along.

As WT/RT developed, these signals were kept fairly standard as everyone was already familiar with them and it avoided confusion. I appreciate that this may be a strange concept to more recent joiners of our industry who are accustomed to being bu99ered about by incessant policy changes.

To this day, maritime code flags either represent a letter of the alphabet when in a string or, individually, a specific message. Long before we learned how to send out radio signals, this flag was the letter C

http://ourworld.compuserve.co.uk/DrSynHst/C.gif

On its own it means Yes, Affirmative, Correct, etc. . . . or just Charlie. It's simply something that's been handed down through the generations that everyone still seems to understand ;)

BARNWOOD
18th Sep 2003, 19:13
"Thats Cocoa, Pogo last"

Point Seven
18th Sep 2003, 20:12
Sorry chaps but you are all wrong. The real origins of this phrase comes from the Big Airways long haul checklist that is done in cockpit, prior to push back.

The top men at Big Air require Captain Nigel and F/O Tarquin to go over all things needed for their fifteen night stop-over in Miami. It runs as follows:

1/. Hosties.
2/ Fat wallet.
3/ Charlie.
4/ Box to keep wedding ring in.

So when the check for Charlie comes up, the reply is "Charlie", hence Charlie, Charlie.

P7;)

PS Yes I'm back after short delay due event cancellation.