Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Edinburgh-3

Old 5th Apr 2018, 13:57
  #281 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,143
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
Tui: Dalaman goes twice weekly and Antalya is added once weekly. I thought that S18 was as much as could be delivered by one based a/c, but I haven't had time to discover whether the additional services are using a 3rd party carrier, or some kind of W pattern.
Antalya is down as TBA and the Monday Dalaman is down as TBA my best guess would be Freebird Airlines may well end up operating those flights.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 5th Apr 2018, 15:02
  #282 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,483
Thanks for that. Saves me doing the research!

I'm surprised that Tui haven't grown more at EDI, particularly longhaul.
inOban is offline  
Old 5th Apr 2018, 15:46
  #283 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,143
Originally Posted by inOban View Post
Thanks for that. Saves me doing the research!

I'm surprised that Tui haven't grown more at EDI, particularly longhaul.
I'm surprised they only have 1 based aircraft! Is Edinburgh seen more as a business oreintated airport in Scotland with Glasgow being the more holiday orientated airport?
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 5th Apr 2018, 16:07
  #284 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,483
I guess that's so. We also have no TCX at all, or rather they operate a few routes using Easyjet.
inOban is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2018, 20:16
  #285 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,483
I have only just noticed that the EDI flights to Berlin are among the Easyjet flights moving to Tegel from May 2.
inOban is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2018, 20:28
  #286 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Scotland
Posts: 152
It was announced about a month ago as part of its program of being a feeder carrier.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/business/2018/mar/27/easyjet-berlin-long-haul-middle-east-asian-book-connecting-flightshttps://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...ecting-flights
GLAEDI is offline  
Old 6th Apr 2018, 20:41
  #287 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oban, Scotland
Posts: 1,483
So when FR arrive EDI will have flights to two Berlin airports.
inOban is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 16:48
  #288 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London (Babylon-on-Thames)
Age: 39
Posts: 6,168
Daily Abu Dhabi flights from Edinburgh Airport to be cancelled - BBC News
The airline that dare not be discussed on here is gone.
Skipness One Echo is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 17:13
  #289 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Samsonite Avenue
Posts: 1,518
As I just mentioned on the GLA thread, I am led to believe that EK and EDI is a non starter at present. as there is no contact stand at EDI that is capable of accommodating the 777-300.

Parking space at the terminal is very tight for anything larger than a 332/788.
Mister Geezer is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 17:31
  #290 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Scotland
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by Mister Geezer View Post
As I just mentioned on the GLA thread, I am led to believe that EK and EDI is a non starter at present. as there is no contact stand at EDI that is capable of accommodating the 777-300.

Parking space at the terminal is very tight for anything larger than a 332/788.
The new terminal extension is adding 3 contact stands capable of handling B777/A350 with jetbridges and a direct connection to the new international arrivals, so that shouldn't be a problem.
mullac30 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 17:48
  #291 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Scotland
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by Skipness One Echo View Post
Daily Abu Dhabi flights from Edinburgh Airport to be cancelled - BBC News
The airline that dare not be discussed on here is gone.
Perhaps the BBC are correct but their report seems to just rehash a similar report from the Scotsman. Meanwhile the flight remains on sale through to March 2019.


Originally Posted by Mister Geezer View Post
As I just mentioned on the GLA thread, I am led to believe that EK and EDI is a non starter at present. as there is no contact stand at EDI that is capable of accommodating the 777-300.

Parking space at the terminal is very tight for anything larger than a 332/788.
I understood that Stand 4a was recently altered to accommodate aircraft of up to 773 size. I also seem to recall that at least one of the new stands under construction can take aircraft of a similar size.
tartan 201 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 18:02
  #292 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 13
EDI can accomdate up to a380 now with all works being finished come summer. I think they will have four stands that can take a 773.
Haldane90 is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 21:11
  #293 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 35
Posts: 605
A 777 (not sure which variant mind) was on stand 4A not that long ago when a UA flight diverted in on it's way to IAH from LHR. I seem to recall it had a jetty attached.

I am not sure lack of a contact stand is a deal breaker for EK. I imagine there are several places on their network where they send the 777 and there are limited facilities available.
edi_local is offline  
Old 7th Apr 2018, 22:58
  #294 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Samsonite Avenue
Posts: 1,518
Thanks for the reminder about the expansion. I had overlooked that aspect!

A 772 could be 'shoe-horned' into 4A if needed but it would be too tight for a 773. To put the present problem into perspective, if you parked a 773 nose in on a normal stand at 90 degrees to the terminal and if the nose actually touched the terminal building itself, the tail of the aircraft would still overhang outside the marked area of the stand. Therefore the terminal expansion can't come soon enough if anything bigger than the present 788/332/763 mix, is to operate on a regular basis.

EK do of course go to some primitive places but they generally seek the best facilities that are available. Remote stands, steps and busses etc can all slow down the turnaround process.
Mister Geezer is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 00:52
  #295 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 541
Originally Posted by Mister Geezer View Post
Thanks for the reminder about the expansion. I had overlooked that aspect!

A 772 could be 'shoe-horned' into 4A if needed but it would be too tight for a 773. To put the present problem into perspective, if you parked a 773 nose in on a normal stand at 90 degrees to the terminal and if the nose actually touched the terminal building itself, the tail of the aircraft would still overhang outside the marked area of the stand. Therefore the terminal expansion can't come soon enough if anything bigger than the present 788/332/763 mix, is to operate on a regular basis.

EK do of course go to some primitive places but they generally seek the best facilities that are available. Remote stands, steps and busses etc can all slow down the turnaround process.
4A was adapted to accept B77W as part of the airfield works last year, that is why there is now a dogleg on taxiway E. Stand 12 can also take B77W but has no jetbridge. Stands 15, 16 and 18 are also B77W compatible and once the terminal expansion is complete in a few months are expected to have jetbridges. That will give 5 international contact stands capable of handling aircraft of B77W or similar simultaneously. Plus there is still 2A for up to B788 size and 10A for up to A332. A massive improvement on years gone by.
GoEDI is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 06:58
  #296 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 10
Originally Posted by edi_local View Post
A 777 (not sure which variant mind) was on stand 4A not that long ago when a UA flight diverted in on it's way to IAH from LHR. I seem to recall it had a jetty attached.

I am not sure lack of a contact stand is a deal breaker for EK. I imagine there are several places on their network where they send the 777 and there are limited facilities available.
I came down the steps of a B777 at MLE no air bridges there and a walk over the stand to arrivals.
edistevie is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 07:59
  #297 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: London (Babylon-on-Thames)
Age: 39
Posts: 6,168
I have come down 777 steps twice with EK....at Dubai.
Has the check in hall gotten any bigger? That was the real pain point on my last few trips.
Skipness One Echo is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 10:41
  #298 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 310
Originally Posted by edistevie View Post
I came down the steps of a B777 at MLE no air bridges there and a walk over the stand to arrivals.
The weather in the Maldives is quite different to Scotland, however.
LandingConfig is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 11:58
  #299 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Czechia
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by edi_local View Post
A 777 (not sure which variant mind) was on stand 4A not that long ago when a UA flight diverted in on it's way to IAH from LHR. I seem to recall it had a jetty attached.

I am not sure lack of a contact stand is a deal breaker for EK. I imagine there are several places on their network where they send the 777 and there are limited facilities available.
Emirates use both a jetway and rear door boarding by steps at GLA, so they definitely aren't opposed to having their passengers walking in the cold Scottish rain to get to/from their aircraft.
A380.Q400 is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2018, 12:10
  #300 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 92
Originally Posted by LandingConfig View Post
The weather in the Maldives is quite different to Scotland, however.
You're right there. The rain I experienced at MLE was significantly heavier than anything I've ever experienced in Scotland.

It was warm rain though.
Bagheera is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.