Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Cardiff-2

Old 15th May 2018, 19:35
  #441 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by supermarine View Post
Looking fine on my computer, daily flights on the Qatar booking website. I really do not think there is a problem. Try again.
There is a problem. According to thier website they've taken an axe to the schedule 2 weeks after launching it! Embarrasing!
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 19:42
  #442 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Solihull
Age: 56
Posts: 3,149
Question Qatar

Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
There is a problem. According to thier website they've taken an axe to the schedule 2 weeks after launching it! Embarrasing!
Qatar

I am getting the same, 3 a week in June then back to 4 all summer and back to 3 a week in the winter.

I was going to be mean and claim to have seen the minibus bringing the pax up to BHX for the departure but actually it seems a 50 seat coach would have done it!!!!

To provide some balance BHX and EDI loads have been poor for ages so there is hope - just.

Pete
OltonPete is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 19:47
  #443 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Rhoose
Posts: 19
crikey whats the average load, does anyone know?
cwlwatcher is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 06:11
  #444 (permalink)  
HDP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N/A - Nomad
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by cwlwatcher View Post
crikey whats the average load, does anyone know?
My father flew CWL-DOH last week and the economy cabin had 22 passengers. His return in November has a schedule change of +1 day due to the frequency reductions. Might end up flying back into LHR if it doesn't get better!
HDP is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 07:04
  #445 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by HDP View Post
My father flew CWL-DOH last week and the economy cabin had 22 passengers. His return in November has a schedule change of +1 day due to the frequency reductions. Might end up flying back into LHR if it doesn't get better!
Did he fly in on a Tuesday? As it seems the morning flights have been cut.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 07:24
  #446 (permalink)  
HDP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: N/A - Nomad
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
Did he fly in on a Tuesday? As it seems the morning flights have been cut.
Yes, exactly.
HDP is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 08:15
  #447 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Posts: 7,072
Be interesting to find out how many sun 'n sand economy pax have ever heard of Qatar or know where it is. Dubai they all know but the rest of the area??????

needs massive advertising and deals until word of mouth takes over
Heathrow Harry is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 08:23
  #448 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by Heathrow Harry View Post
Be interesting to find out how many sun 'n sand economy pax have ever heard of Qatar or know where it is. Dubai they all know but the rest of the area??????

needs massive advertising and deals until word of mouth takes over
Except it's not about people going to Qatar it's about the onward connections also many people that I've spoken to seem to be using it to go to Thailand. The route has been advertised but i do feel they could do more in the South West. Hopefully now they'll settle on the frequency and grow the route.
The negativity though isn't good for the airport as Cardiff is trying to shake off the negative image that it has.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 12:30
  #449 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,093
It looks like those cut frequencies have been restored.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 14:44
  #450 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Middle england
Posts: 539
Originally Posted by PDXCWL45 View Post
It looks like those cut frequencies have been restored.
Looks like 5 a week in the winter to me.

Centre cities

Last edited by Centre cities; 16th May 2018 at 15:32. Reason: grammer
Centre cities is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 14:59
  #451 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by Centre cities View Post
Looks like 5 a week in he winter to me.

Centre cities
yep that was what it was originally.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 23:30
  #452 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,093
Cardiff now appears on the Virgin Holidays website and they are selling holidays to the Far East, Middle East and Africa using Qatar Airways and KLM for the flights.
PDXCWL45 is offline  
Old 18th May 2018, 21:46
  #453 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 35
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by Heathrow Harry View Post
Be interesting to find out how many sun 'n sand economy pax have ever heard of Qatar or know where it is. Dubai they all know but the rest of the area??????

needs massive advertising and deals until word of mouth takes over
There has been a huge push for advertising at CWL itself. A huge chunk of the terminal exterior has a QR wrap around. Not to mention several adverts inside, including huge, ceiling high wall prints and numerous smaller ads placed around the terminal. Not only that but the launch featured heavily on local TV and print media on the day. CWL has also heavily pushed QR on their own channels too. It is certainly being promoted, but perhaps there wasn't much done before the launch, other than inside the QR in-flight magazine. That's all I saw personally. But then I do not frequent Wales, so I can't speak for the local advertising drive pre-launch. I just happened to be in passing through CWL the day after the launch and noticed all the adverts and the big presence QR takes up in the terminal. They are certainly standing out.

Let's see how summer is. Keep in mind right now there are no school holidays for a good few weeks yet and people are not yet used to scheduled long haul from Wales. With the seats only being on sale for a few months prior to the launch, many people going to the places they may do so with QR will likely have booked a lot longer in advance with other carriers. Promoting or even expecting DOH to be a destination in itself is a bit of a stretch. Hardly anyone will go to DOH to holiday. I have had 2 (intentional) long stop overs there over the past 2 or so years, it's fine for a day or 2, but more than that and you're limited. But then DOH is not really sold as a holiday destination, even QR only promote it themselves as a stop over deal for a night or 2. The world cup may change that if more tourist orientated infrastructure is developed. That aside, I'm sure there are more than a few Welsh people working in Qatar who will now use this to come home, many of which may help sustain the J class seats. Cargo may develop into something big too with it cutting out a journey down the motorway from BHX or LON. It's far too early to judge the route IMO.
edi_local is offline  
Old 19th May 2018, 07:04
  #454 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Wales
Posts: 30
I totally agree with edi local, it will more than likely take 9 to 12 months before we see what the passenger numbers will be. Majority of people book long haul travel 6 to 10 months in advance.
taffyhammer is offline  
Old 19th May 2018, 08:07
  #455 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: LV
Posts: 1,815
.... but it was launched, advertised and bookable 6 months+ before first flight?
CabinCrewe is offline  
Old 21st May 2018, 10:21
  #456 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Age: 35
Posts: 603
Originally Posted by CabinCrewe View Post
.... but it was launched, advertised and bookable 6 months+ before first flight?
Doesn't change the fact that as of yet QR have not yet been at CWL for the peak season. That is still yet to happen. In a few weeks when the schools are out, the figures will climb. There will be a dip once the school holidays are over, another spike in October and then November is a traditionally dead month for leisure travel from the UK before the Christmas and New Year peak again. That is generally how it goes in this country, but no doubt people will be screaming about low figures again come Autumn.

I honestly cannot believe the negativity on here surrounding QR/CWL. It's a huge boost for Wales and just because it's not been at 100% capacity for the first few weeks people are on a downer. Things take time to gain a foothold! If it was up to some of you I genuinely think you'd have had them packing up and shipping out a week after the launch.
edi_local is offline  
Old 21st May 2018, 10:43
  #457 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 563
Well said !!! Totally agree with you
Letsflycwl is online now  
Old 21st May 2018, 16:18
  #458 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LONDON
Age: 63
Posts: 47
Originally Posted by edi_local View Post
Doesn't change the fact that as of yet QR have not yet been at CWL for the peak season. That is still yet to happen. In a few weeks when the schools are out, the figures will climb. There will be a dip once the school holidays are over, another spike in October and then November is a traditionally dead month for leisure travel from the UK before the Christmas and New Year peak again. That is generally how it goes in this country, but no doubt people will be screaming about low figures again come Autumn.

I honestly cannot believe the negativity on here surrounding QR/CWL. It's a huge boost for Wales and just because it's not been at 100% capacity for the first few weeks people are on a downer. Things take time to gain a foothold! If it was up to some of you I genuinely think you'd have had them packing up and shipping out a week after the launch.
Well said EDI the normal rule of thumb for a start up route is Year 1 Loss, Year 2 Break even, Year 3 Contribution. Qatar Airways certainly have deeper pockets than some of the startups I have had the pleasure being involved with.
The CEO QR has looked at this for numerous years, he should be applauded for having the vision to take this decision.
Midland Alpha9 is offline  
Old 21st May 2018, 16:45
  #459 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: UK
Age: 49
Posts: 1,067
What was the story about Winter QR frequency ? Can only seem to book on 4 days looking in November
VickersVicount is offline  
Old 21st May 2018, 17:08
  #460 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wales
Posts: 1,093
Originally Posted by VickersVicount View Post
What was the story about Winter QR frequency ? Can only seem to book on 4 days looking in November
It's definitely 5 weekly in the winter. Monday Tuesday Thursday Friday and Saturday
PDXCWL45 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.