Airlines, Airports & Routes Topics about airports, routes and airline business.

Southend-2

Old 18th Jun 2019, 08:51
  #3201 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 71
Posts: 2,306
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
Also, what do Stobart actually own at SEN - isn't the airport leased from the council?
In effect Stobart 'own' SEN in that that they have a very long Leasehold of the site, with Southend Borough Council owning the Freehold. Stobart own it in the same way that a leasehold apartment occupier considers that he/she owns their property. The same applies to LTN of course with Luton Borough Council being their Freeholder.

LTNman

In theory, assuming that Rochford Hundred Golf Club own the Freehold of their site, they could try to sell it to Stobart should their Membership agree but I should imagine it's Green Belt land. If that is so I cannot see any possibility of it being re-designated, particularly now that the UK Government seems to be taking carbon emissions reduction very seriously. It certainly would solve SEN's space limitation problem but I think it's a purely theoretical solution.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 09:30
  #3202 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Hither and Thither
Posts: 527
and most of the golf-course is high flood risk, so no buildings.
Red Four is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 14:07
  #3203 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
Will there be anything for the DTVA contract - only been going a couple of months?

Also, what do Stobart actually own at SEN - isn't the airport leased from the council?
They have the benefit of a 150 year lease on the land which started in 1994. There is a 2nd lease for the runway extension lands but this follows the original lease. If there is an opportunity to sell the airport development they should attempt to do this whilst there is more than 99 years remaining on the lease. Anything less and the investment value begins to drop. So they have between now and 2044 to build a successful airport and then sell it.
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 15:10
  #3204 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by asdf1234 View Post
They have the benefit of a 150 year lease on the land which started in 1994. There is a 2nd lease for the runway extension lands but this follows the original lease. If there is an opportunity to sell the airport development they should attempt to do this whilst there is more than 99 years remaining on the lease. Anything less and the investment value begins to drop. So they have between now and 2044 to build a successful airport and then sell it.
2044? I will be 100!!. Time to start to worry!
Planespeaking is online now  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 17:27
  #3205 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,042
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
Don’t think this is far fetched but what are the prospects of Stobart buying the golf course, kicking out the golfers and building a second terminal just south of Rockford Station and using that station as the station for T2? Also west of the golf course and north of the airport are farmers fields for an even bigger airport.

If Luton is planning to build a second terminal on one of the towns biggest parks, which has county wildlife status, nothing is safe these days.
Luton has a 360 Degree catchment area, Southend has a 90 degree catchment area and with Stansted just as easy for many people there is little likelihood of mega expansion.
racedo is offline  
Old 18th Jun 2019, 20:12
  #3206 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Daws Heath Essex
Posts: 419
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Luton has a 360 Degree catchment area, Southend has a 90 degree catchment area and with Stansted just as easy for many people there is little likelihood of mega expansion.
JFK, Hong Kong, and many other successful coastal airports have a directional catchment area, however SEN can never be a mega airport, just a small to medium London airport. It will have it's part to play but there will be physical and infrastructure constraints on expansion as we are already seeing at LTN.
Planespeaking is online now  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 13:14
  #3207 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 886
For those who like their stats, the CAA airport data has just been updated and includes pax numbers at SEN for April. The effect Ryanair has had can be seen in detail for the first time.
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 22:21
  #3208 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,042
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave View Post
For those who like their stats, the CAA airport data has just been updated and includes pax numbers at SEN for April. The effect Ryanair has had can be seen in detail for the first time.
74k up on prev year of which 51k is "EU operator". Stats like that show why airports across EU want them if delivering 1700 pax a day.
racedo is offline  
Old 19th Jun 2019, 23:03
  #3209 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: U.K.
Posts: 395
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
74k up on prev year of which 51k is "EU operator". Stats like that show why airports across EU want them if delivering 1700 pax a day.
Fair comment. But don't forget EZY also played their part with the increase of the SEN-based fleet from 3 x A319 (Apr 18) to 2 x A319 + 2 x A320 (Apr 19). Easter was later. On the debit side there was no STK E195 operation.
Tagron is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 16:48
  #3210 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: London Whipsnade Wildlife Park
Posts: 4,352
Steel specialist lands airport hangar contract | Construction Enquirer
Buster the Bear is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2019, 19:16
  #3211 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Westcliff-on-Sea
Age: 74
Posts: 285
So the A321-NEO is frequently used at the airport........?????
No offence intended towards Buster the Bear who is just passing on an article he has come across for which I thank him.
SEN Observer is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2019, 10:54
  #3212 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Essex
Posts: 886
Monday sees the end of 5 mins free in the short-term car park, with a £3 for ten minutes charge being introduced. It's not the end of the world, but it does make you wonder what will come next.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/177...stay-car-park/
DC3 Dave is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2019, 11:25
  #3213 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,130
it does make you wonder what will come next.
£4 and then £5 I would say.. People expect cheap tickets and free airports.
LTNman is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2019, 12:15
  #3214 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by DC3 Dave View Post
Monday sees the end of 5 mins free in the short-term car park, with a £3 for ten minutes charge being introduced. It's not the end of the world, but it does make you wonder what will come next.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/177...stay-car-park/
I wonder where the taxis will now drop off as they used to use the short stay?
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2019, 13:06
  #3215 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: East London
Age: 37
Posts: 1,029
Originally Posted by LTNman View Post
£4 and then £5 I would say.. People expect cheap tickets and free airports.
Perhaps, although worth noting Southend does have a few premium seats and routes (as does LTN and STN) with people neither paying bargain basement or getting a “free” airport.
AirportPlanner1 is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2019, 14:43
  #3216 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ESSEX
Posts: 245
If it’s long stay 3 that is a shorter stroll to the terminal than valet parking at Stansted, with no lifts or ramps .
plus it’s now 15 mins, so less stress getting stuck behind someone who has dropped their ticket in short stay .
I would suggest at some stage they make it a covered walkway though, if it isn’t yet
SARF is offline  
Old 21st Jun 2019, 16:14
  #3217 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: In the sticks
Posts: 7,130
If the long stay becomes popular for dropping off they will find a way to make it less popular.
LTNman is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 14:18
  #3218 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Looks like temperatures at SEN will hit 30c next Tuesday and Wednesday. Heard on the grapevine that Easyjet will be telling the last 15 pax to arrive at the check in desk that they won't be flying on those days due to operational restrictions. Not sure which flights are affected by this but assume it will be the A320 flights. Can anyone confirm the schedule
for the A320s next Tuesday and Wednesday?
asdf1234 is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 16:28
  #3219 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK
Age: 71
Posts: 2,306
asdf1234

I think it's normally the A319 which suffers most in those conditions rather than the A320, let alone the A320neo. Current wind direction is forecast to be NE on those days and payload on 05 is better than on 23 so don't start rubbing your hands just yet.

I'll be more interested to see if the 738s are payload limited.
Expressflight is offline  
Old 22nd Jun 2019, 16:41
  #3220 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 431
Originally Posted by Expressflight View Post
asdf1234

I think it's normally the A319 which suffers most in those conditions rather than the A320, let alone the A320neo. Current wind direction is forecast to be NE on those days and payload on 05 is better than on 23 so don't start rubbing your hands just yet.

I'll be more interested to see if the 738s are payload limited.
I honestly don't know which aircraft type (319 or 320) was potentially subject to the restriction, other than it was EZY and not FR.

I too would like to see how the 738s perform, especially given they seem to have the SFP mod. Their larger payload would suggest a greater propensity to restrictions on 23 on a hot and humid day but maybe the SFP brings improvements over the 319/320. Only time and experience will tell.

Of course, a 05 departure should avoid any restrictions but again, only time will tell. Let's see what happens next week.

In retrospect was it wise for Stobart to restrict the declared distances on the runway? And could they now increase those declared distances to allow unrestricted ops on hot and humid days? As far as I could tell, limiting the declared distances was a cost saving measure centred on RFFS resources.
asdf1234 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.