Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > African Aviation
Reload this Page >

Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.

African Aviation Regional issues that affect the numerous pilots who work in this area of the world.

Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.

Reply

Old 18th Feb 2018, 05:48
  #1241 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Tent
Posts: 451
Banana Joe, years since I have been there but pretty sure the Botswana Government set a 500 hr minimum a few years back.

It will not be flexible and with Ian Khama being a fixed wing and rotary pilot himself I expect he set the minimum for the work permit.

** Can be corrected on the rotary pilot but do know he flew the King Air OB1.
Bend alot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2018, 10:24
  #1242 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: N/A
Posts: 219
Thanks, for your reply. I was told Namibia might be an option, so I will be doing my homework and try to plan a journey during the hiring season in Namibia and hopefully in the meanwhile find a way to fly and build hours.
Banana Joe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2018, 00:11
  #1243 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 120
IFR Requirement

For those mentioning about the Wilderness Air IR requirement, as many have pointed out, it is not a regulatory requirement. However, the weather can get very hairy in the wet season and it is a very good idea to have an IR rating.....its only 175 seconds if you don't.....I spent 3-1/2 years in the Delta and was TC and DCA Examiner so have a little experience on the subject...
bluesideoops is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 19th Mar 2018, 09:42
  #1244 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Hey guys,

could please one clarify the actual requirements regarding the documents to be brought?
-Must it be originals or can it be copies?
-Must it be certified?
-Which documents are exactly required?

Thanks a lot! Cheers
AIWA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2018, 11:53
  #1245 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bots
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by AIWA View Post
Hey guys,

could please one clarify the actual requirements regarding the documents to be brought?
-Must it be originals or can it be copies?
-Must it be certified?
-Which documents are exactly required?

Thanks a lot! Cheers

Less than 10 posts ago I wrote the following:

- At least 3x certified copies of every document you can think of (licence, medical, passport, birth certificate, school/ university certificates...). Work permit applications require all documents to be certified in the country of origin now
PilotInPink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10th Apr 2018, 09:04
  #1246 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N/A
Posts: 11
Hi, does anyone know what it is like to work in Maun if you bring a girlfriend/wife? is it a family-friendly environment and do spouses usually like it or has there been a history of this being an issue for a lot of pilots? Any info is highly appreciated, thanks
carrot123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2018, 06:31
  #1247 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bots
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by carrot123 View Post
Hi, does anyone know what it is like to work in Maun if you bring a girlfriend/wife? is it a family-friendly environment and do spouses usually like it or has there been a history of this being an issue for a lot of pilots? Any info is highly appreciated, thanks
Plenty of pilots have come with significant others. Some love it, some hate it. Maun is totally what you make of it. There are no real shopping malls or cinemas and not everything works properly, but with great friends and a positive attitude you can really have a good life here. From my observation, it's the wives/ girlfriends (and sometimes even the pilots themselves) that don't get out much and miss the conveniences of "home" who are less happy.
PilotInPink is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2018, 15:12
  #1248 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Scotland
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by Cardinal Puff View Post
Money? We still use coloured beads. Just carry them around on a bit of string.
Brilliant! Oh how things have changed in Maun since the 1980s
Timmy Tomkins is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2018, 15:48
  #1249 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N/A
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by PilotInPink View Post
Plenty of pilots have come with significant others. Some love it, some hate it. Maun is totally what you make of it. There are no real shopping malls or cinemas and not everything works properly, but with great friends and a positive attitude you can really have a good life here. From my observation, it's the wives/ girlfriends (and sometimes even the pilots themselves) that don't get out much and miss the conveniences of "home" who are less happy.
Thank you for the info! Do the pilots in Maun usually come home in the evenings or is this rather rare and they mostly sleep in lodges and only come home for 1-2 nights per week?
carrot123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11th Apr 2018, 15:55
  #1250 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N/A
Posts: 11
>1000TT C206/208 Jobs

Hi

Do you know of any open positions for a C206 or C208 pilot with over 1000hrs TT? I donít really care where, as long as it is anywhere in Africa. But I assume that South Africa might be an issue for non-residents. Can you recommend any websites that might list such opportunities or how did you find your job? Does anyone have any other information on the job situation in general, also in regards to what salary can usually be expected and so on?

Thanks and good luck to you all with your jobs and applications!
carrot123 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12th Apr 2018, 02:22
  #1251 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Africa
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by carrot123 View Post
Thank you for the info! Do the pilots in Maun usually come home in the evenings or is this rather rare and they mostly sleep in lodges and only come home for 1-2 nights per week?
Depends on the company. Most of the companies the pilots come home every night but you will also overnight in camps/lodges a couple of times a month.
There are one or two companies where you will spend a lot more time in the camps/lodges.
HeliRich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2018, 15:31
  #1252 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Warwick
Posts: 61
Originally Posted by carrot123 View Post
Hi, does anyone know what it is like to work in Maun if you bring a girlfriend/wife? is it a family-friendly environment and do spouses usually like it or has there been a history of this being an issue for a lot of pilots? Any info is highly appreciated, thanks
Maun is a frontier town, facilities are limited and basic, there are no other towns within reach and few expat females, so your lady would have to be very tolerant with a high boredom threshold. If she had been to Africa before, knew the territory, was passionate about wildlife and flying maybe it would be OK, it would be a good idea for her to visit you for a couple of weeks before committing, check up on visa for long stays too.
Deltasierra010 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 20th Apr 2018, 20:38
  #1253 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: N/A
Posts: 11
Thank you, this is very useful information! There’s a lot to think about...
carrot123 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service