PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - General Aviation Study published...
View Single Post
Old 24th Dec 2017, 00:45
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
I think there is a danger in thinking the solution is simply make the legislation easier and operational costs lower and GA will suddenly flourish.

There are more legs on this table than just that one.

Not saying that legislation/cost change isn't an important issue (it is) but I think that unless there is new, enthusiastic blood getting excited about and then into flying, legislation and cost changes will only delay the decline.

GA grows from the bottom up, not the top down.

Getting people into flying means competing against the attractions of video games and social media immersion. That is hard. Kids no longer build models of planes and dream of growing up to fly them, they play computer games. Adults get lost in social media.

Becoming a pilot these days seems more about flash uniforms and pushing buttons on a complicated computer system, not about actually flying aeroplanes because it is something that stirs the blood.

I don't have any magic bullets for that other than using the enthusiasm of people in aviation (in all areas of aviation, not just GA), who are in the game because they love aviation.

Buy someone a TIF as a xmas present. Without a steady flow of new blood, GA will die.