PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B737 Engine Surge followed by Overheat
View Single Post
Old 21st Dec 2017, 13:57
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 172_driver
The times we’ve practiced engine surge during take off in the sim the pulsating yawing from the surges has made the aircraft a handful to control. So, retarding the thrust to get rid of that has been the first thing to do (even with the help of my colleague).

/With the usual caveat that the simulator may not behave as a real world event
Well on that aspect of this it might be worth bearing in mind not all surges are the same and the sims seem to do seem to replicate “worse case”...

I don’t know if the PHX crew reported any handling issues but FWIW I’ve had a brief series of pop surge(s) on takeoff on a 744 .... hot, high and heavy.....and no, not the one referred to by the OP...

It was certainly noisy, and being at night visually impressive to all and sundry both inside and outside the aircraft and fore and aft of the wing, so just like the video, but our event probably lasted under five seconds. Symptoms on the flight deck: a few very, very, and only just perceptible tiny flickers to one of the EGTs, which even so always remained within limits, some minor jolts but little in the way of yaw or other control issues...

Given it was unclear to anybody on the flight deck ( we had a heavy) as to which engine was definitely involved and given whichever one had been surging auto recovered very quickly a team decision was made to leave them all running at takeoff thrust. I wouldn’t argue with any of the previous advice about checklist actioning, just caution any assumption that diagnosing the exact source of even a noisy surge will be easy, or caution any assumption that you will get the sometimes violent jolting and yaw effects that are modelled in the sims...

FWIW in our case the engine involved did go pop properly and in a terminal manner a few days later........

Last edited by wiggy; 21st Dec 2017 at 19:06.