PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Interviews with D P Davies on certificating aircraft
Old 21st Dec 2017, 10:30
Alan Baker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Folks,
At the risk of a bit of controversy, and having flown B707-300 and -320 modified as required to be UK registered, (total about 8000 h on various versions, on various registers) versus the FAA certified aeroplane, it is my opinion that the ARB required mods. were overall detrimental to the operation of the aircraft.
I think we all acknowledge the B707 (and DC-8) had shortcomings, and aircraft design advanced by leaps and bounds over the period in question, '50s through the -80s, but the demanded changes for the B707 were, as far as I am concerned, largely a safety minus.
We should also acknowledge that aircraft certification standards have made great strides since the original SFAR 422b.
Tootle pip!!
The "ARB" modifications were applied to all extant 707s at the time. I would like to know when you think that you have flown a 707 without these mods (it would have to have been over 55 years ago). How improved directional stability, full rudder boost and elimination of the possibility of ground stalling can be detrimental escapes me.