PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simulator Use
Thread: Simulator Use
View Single Post
Old 19th Dec 2017, 16:07
ComeFlyWithB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T4RG4
I do not believe it's of any use if you already understand that pushing forwards lowers the nose, pulling up raises the nose etc. i.e. not completely oblivious to how an aircraft works.

When reaching nav and radio navigation it can be useful to create a PLOG, fly your route etc.
Currently on 14.5hrs and 6/9 exams passed just prior to first solo, I envisage its a good idea as you've mentioned prior to the nav work so you feel more comfortable perhaps when it comes to the real deal. I just wasn't sure how beneficial it would be at this stage of training considering its essentially going over the basics / nothing too complex that hasn't been committed to memory. I was more interested in opinion of those with more experience than myself to offer some pointers as to if it would help develop my piloting skills

Originally Posted by rarelyathome
You would be better served by spending time on theory and really getting to grips with it (not just doing enough to pass the exams). I'm not implying that would be your approach but really understanding the theory does help with the practical stuff too.

Students that have spent a lot of time on PC simulators tend to be fixated on the instruments and it takes a long time to break the habit so I discourage it for my students. PC sims are great for radio nav practice but that is quite a way into the syllabus.
Completely agree, for example with my flight being cancelled today I brushed up on Meteorology despite passing the exam with 93% for instance rather than pushing on with PoF.

I might not have been clear so apologies, I meant a full flight simulator at the school I'm learning at as opposed to a PC one. The reading I have done though tends to suggest people pick up bad habits and rely on instruments too much.