PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Antarctic Austers
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 02:19
Aerohack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Little chance of discovering a hitherto forgotten Auster down there, I fear, QDM. The two Austers (modified T.7s) that accompanied the 1955 British Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition led by Fuchs and Hilary are accounted for. WE600 is on display in the RAF Museum at Cosford. WE563, the reserve aircraft, remained ‘down south’, sold to the Royal New Zealand Air Force, and as NZ1707 returned to the Antarctic aboard HMNZS Endeavour in December 1956 and served there until 1960. After a rebuild following a crash in 1966 it is on display in the RNZAF Museum at Wigram in its Antarctic configuration. The Belgians operated a ski-equipped Auster AOP.6 in Antarctica, but I believe that is in the Brussels Museum. That photo of the RAF Otter fuselage raises more questions than it answers. All sources I’ve seen say that the only Otter ever operated by the RAF was XL710, bought new from DHC for that same expedition. It was handed over to the US Navy in 1958 and sold in 1960 to the RNZAF as a support aircraft for its Antarctic operations. It went back to Canada in 1963 and was operated as an amphibian by Georgian Bay Airways until written-off in a crash in 1976. The wreck was later rebuilt by Cox Aviation as its second DHC-3T Turbo Otter conversion. Which begs the question as to what this ‘RAF’ Otter in Antarctica actually is? The British Antarctic Survey operated three Otters, and one was withdrawn from use because of fatigue damage and dismantled, but they were Falklands Islands civil-registered.