PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT C210
Thread: NT C210
View Single Post
Old 18th Dec 2017, 11:25
Flying Bear

Received 44 Likes on 5 Posts
There is a C210 course run at the flying school based on Darwin Airport, and it does cover seasonal weather in the NT. As a director of that school, I can assure all that the course has been evolved in light of the recent accident. Not intended as any advertisement, but what Craig alludes to above is already being done, it just requires the junior pilots starting out in the region to tap into the resource. All with a Flight Review thrown in on the 210 (if MOS standard is met...).

Regarding free seminars - we recently convened one of those - inviting one of the Airnorth E170 skippers who has flown up here forever to discuss the local weather systems. He has a keen interest in the meteorology of this region and whilst the material he presented was very informal, it was awesome for the newbies to hear. Shame only a dozen or so turned up... The free GAF seminar we conducted the night before low level forecasts changed forever was well subscribed, though.

We certainly intend to do more of these things, but even after this “wake up call”, we still see resistance to learning because either the cost is too much (what price does one put on professional development?) or even better, apparently further training isn’t required because the MECIR / CPL gained on the east coast is awesome enough...

I also encourage those seeking a job to hang around our facility when they can as a pseudo-base from which they can approach the local operators (this is free!). They can talk all the crap they like with us and each other - maybe to learn something as well as to network. They can even drink beer at the right time of day! Funnily enough, this offer is very rarely taken advantage of, which makes me wonder if there is a paradigm shift in the young pilots today?