PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NT C210
Thread: NT C210
View Single Post
Old 17th Dec 2017, 19:40
framer

Received 481 Likes on 129 Posts
My experience is that nothing in the CPL syllabus, and nothing in the industry training once you get a job prepares you adequately for flying in and around weather. I did some time in 210’s in the NT ( pre GPS) and to tell you the truth there was a fair bit of luck/ chance involved in getting through unscathed.
If I was in a position of influence in NT Aviation I would get a group of guys and girls together with varying experience and build a 3 hour course. I’d get of the more experienced jet Captains based there, a brand new CPL, an experienced twin piston pilot and a turbo prop Captain, and someone from ATC. Sit them all in a room for a day to brain storm all the issues that each of them see with NT weather and then build a ppt that can be presented ( for free ) on the first Saturday of every second month at the aero club. Newbies and experienced pilots alike could blow in, buy a beer and learn the basic does and don’ts While having a social time. I’d try to make it an element of the Darwin flying scene/culture.
That way an awareness of some options available ( “unable , pan pan turning left .....) would built into the flying scene. I’m sure most are across it all but it would catch those who aren’t and even experienced folk could learn something about CB’s, local patterns, stats.
Then I would print off and laminate ten NT accident reports and deliver them to each operator to keep in their Ops room.