PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniforms for NATS STAFF ??
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2003, 00:03
BEXIL160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We've been here before folks.....

There was a cretin, sorry, certain watch manager at LATCC who one day in the not too distant past took exeption to the "dress" of some of his ATCOs and ATSAs (ok they weren't all wearing dresses, but you get the idea )

Anyway, he decides to put out a note saying that all male staff were to wear a "collar and tie" and smart trousers (not sure what he insisted for the ladies: Dresses? )

Next day said staff turn up..... wearing the most wonderful collection of colourful Hawian shirts, shorts and other assorted beachwear. (ok, so some wore jeans)

Notice removed. Manager concerned not visible to staff for a few days.

Anyway, two more things come to mind.

1) Didn't the staff at EGNT have uniforms once? I recall a visit there and they all had airline style shirts and black trousers.

2) Since NATS is now part owned by TAG they must have access to a plentiful supply of uniforms.... BAW / BMI / BAL / Easy.... Anyone for an Orange Sweatshirt? No? I thought not.

The whole thing is a bad idea IMHO. Airlines staff all have uniforms depending on their function. WHY? Because they are in the public eye and generate an "Image" for the airline. We aren't (and don't want to be).

Not all professional pilots wear a "uniform" either. Durring flight testing of the B777, shown on CH4 at length, the test pilots and engineers wore Polo shirts and jeans. Comfortable atire for the job they were doing. The same should be true for ATCOs. We know what is comfortable atire for us personally, so let us decide

There you go..... 500 up!

rgds BEX