PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HMS Queen Elizabeth Commissioned.
View Single Post
Old 11th Dec 2017, 14:15
FODPlod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigpants
Originally Posted by FODPlod
...Despite all this, much 'opinionated ignorance' will still be expressed about QNLZ's lack of fixed wing aircraft even though she is not yet licensed to receive them, let alone ready to operate and maintain them.
OK, but when will this ship be combat ready and what fire power will it be able to deploy? I remain unconvinced that this package of ship and aircraft will ever offer the same punch and value for money compared to land based systems.

The UK's days of having any military role East of Suez are long over imo.
You are the RAF's version of Sharkey Ward and I claim my £5.

Planned IOC in 2020 and FOC in 2023. Carrier air wing of up to 40 aircraft (50 full load). Global reach, mobility, flexibility, higher sortie rates owing to closer proximity to target, strike, area air defence, LPH when appropriate, C4ISTAR, deterrence, visibility when required, soft power including HADR, broader range of political & military options, etc. In short, four acres of sovereign territory which can move over 500 miles per day and go anywhere there is ocean or sea. As a global trading nation, the UK's interests can be affected significantly by military or other events east of Suez.

P.S. As a member of PPRuNe since May 2001, why are you asking questions already answered in great detail? When all else fails, try this: