PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new Qantas uniform...who did the homework on this one?(merged)
Old 17th Sep 2003, 08:21
fright attendant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overall I have to say that I like the uniform. I think its a good professional look. There are a couple of el cheapo components like the plastic buttons (they should have used the silver serving jacket ones) and that bloddy mock crock roo on all the luggage. So much for me trying to commute home incognito in my civvies. That luggage will just give me away. I will have to get nanna to knit me a wheelie bag cover. My suit back handles are broken and I haven't even used it yet. And the day bag....ditzyboy would you like mine? You can fill it with a couple of bricks and use it to defend yourself on the train to work.

The serving jacket looks EXACTLY like the Japanese high school boys uniform that I used to wear when I lived over there. There will be some giggles amongst the pax on the Narita runs. Not sure about the practicality of having to wear the serving jackets all the time... what are they going to look and smell like after a 10 day trip?? EEWWW!!! Might be kinder on the shaving rash as its quite loose fitting on the neck. We'll see.

Nice light fabrics, going to be alot more bearable through Singapore, Bangkok and Cairns. So much for guys winning the battle over the short sleeves. At long haul there wont be a moment where we get to be in them according to the runway guide.

Had a few problems with the fit. As Aretha sings... "how'd ya get those pants so tight?!" How many squats to the bottom part of the meal cart can I do before I do an Eric Bana/Hulk and burst outta me bloomers?? Will be investing in some black undies just in case. Maybe I should start on Kimmies diet of laxettes and ciggies. My jackets didn't fit. I was starting to wonder whether all the cosmic radiation had caused my body to mutate, as my arms stuck out from my jacket sleeves by about 25cm. I later found out that the factory in China had been using the wrong size pattern (smaller) for the jackets.

The runway guide was a cack. I feel so sorry for our female crew.... My god all that makeup!! I didn't think the guide was very realistic - note how they only used fresh young faces.... what about the more mature crew?? I didn't think the guide represented a practical solution for the wide range of shapes, faces and ages in QF. Has anyone actually accomplished the full Windsor knot? I keep running out of tie...over under through the loopand round again etc etc... Ended up with a knot fatter than my kneck. with about 10cm of tie left. Gave up on that one and hope I get away with the good old "four in hand knot".

The shirt fabric I like - i found that if you iron them as soon as you get them out of the spin cycle then they come up really well and don't crease so easily. Don't mind not having the pockets. Found with the old uniform that everything falls out of them while you are cleaning the loo or changing for crew rest anyway. Passengers should learn to bring their own bloody pens!!!

Overall, despite the whingeing tones of my post, I give it the thumbs up. Our current uniform with the big shoulders and those bloody brassy buttons, tent shirts and the fluoro red tie and scarf has to go. It has been a fugitive from the fashion police for too long.

When you think about it, the new uniform is a big project for QF and I think they have done a good job in the time they have had, despite all the teething problems.