PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FedEx Buys New Cessna SkyCourier 408
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2017, 14:44
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by button push ignored
This is far more interesting than the aircraft.
pbi,

Yes, that's how it struck me too. The statement generates more questions than answers.

Even the airplane purchase announcement on the FedEx website didn't offer any explanation.

Just pure speculation on my part but much of this "pipeline" idea will depend on how early they intend to get the young people on board: fresh CPL/IR/MEL ?

I've seen no statement about whether this proposed airplane will be certified single-pilot or not. I'd think that decision would affect just how "new" pilots could be to enter this "pipeline". IIUC, Part 135 would allow them to use fresh blood but SIC time in a single-pilot airplane wouldn't be loggable ?

They also ordered a bunch of purpose-built ATR72 freighters. Since the ATR72 operation is Part 121, IIUC, F/Os will need an ATP or at least a rATP. To cast the widest net, they'd have to affiliate with colleges whose grads are eligible for a rATP.

All above my pay grade.

This MIGHT be enticing enough to new guys to divert some of the flow from regionals...and into whatever the FedEx deal actually is...if there's a big purple carrot being dangled.

Last edited by bafanguy; 7th Dec 2017 at 20:10.