PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL to LAPL Minimum Hours?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2017, 06:31
gondukin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is lifted from CAP 804 (my emphasis). Although it has now been rescinded, I can't find anything that contradicts the document or indicates the conversion requirements have changed since issue (although there may have been some loosening of medical requirements for the LAPL). If you don't have 6 hours PIC following the NPPL issue, then you would need to meet the LAPL requirements of 10 hours PIC since NPPL issue to carry passengers.

Licence previously issued under the ANO:
NPPL(A)(SSEA) issued before 8 April 2018

Conversion to Part-FCL Licence:
LAPL(A) with Single Engine Piston aeroplane endorsement

Requirements:
1. Hold an NPPL(A) with SSEA rating;
2. Hold an LAPL medical certificate (or Class 1 or Class 2 medical certificate) issued in accordance with Part MED (MED.A.030). Any limitation arising from the holder’s medical status will appear on the medical certificate;
3. To be issued with a UK Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence an individual must fulfil the EASA Language Proficiency Requirements for Flight Crew at Level 4, 5, or 6. Whilst the pilot
licence can be obtained without meeting EASA Language Proficiency Requirements for Flight Crew, a person without a UK Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence is not authorised to use a radio in an aircraft. The holder of an existing valid UK Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence will be accepted as qualifying for a Level 4 (expiring) language proficiency endorsement;
4.Have knowledge of the sections of Part-OPS and Part-FCL relevant to the LAPL(A) – in accordance with A.1(b) of Annex II to the EASA Aircrew Regulation;
5. If the applicant has not completed 6 hours pilot in command of SSEAs since being granted the NPPL(A) with SSEA rating, comply with FCL.105.A(b) – LAPL(A) Privileges and Conditions on issue of the Part-FCL LAPL(A) in order to be entitled to carry passengers. i.e: FCL.105.A LAPL(A) – Privileges and conditions (b) Holders of an LAPL(A) shall only carry passengers after they have completed, after the issuance of the licence, 10 hours of flight time as PIC on aeroplanes or TMG. Flight as PIC completed since the issue of the NPPL(A) shall be credited towards fulfilling this requirement.
6. If the SSEA rating is current, comply with FCL.140.A(a) – LAPL(A) - Recency requirements; or, if the SSEA Certificate of Revalidation has lapsed, comply with FCL.140.A(b)(1) in a single engine pistonlandplane with a maximum take off mass of 2000 kilograms or less. i.e: FCL.140.A LAPL(A) – Recency requirements
(b) Holders of an LAPL(A) who do not comply with the requirements in (a) shall: (1) undertake a proficiency check with an examiner before they resume the exercise of the privileges of their licence;

Would you not meet part b as part of the NPPL training? I'm doing my NPPL at the moment and no-one has mentioned needing the recency requirements! Worst case scenario though it would be a proficiency check following licence issue.

FCL.140.A LAPL(A) — Recency requirements
(a) Holders of an LAPL(A) shall only exercise the privileges of their licence when they have completed, in the last 24 months, as pilots of aeroplanes or TMG:
(1) at least 12 hours of flight time as PIC, including 12 take-offs and landings; and
(2) refresher training of at least 1 hour of total flight time with an instructor.
(b) Holders of an LAPL(A) who do not comply with the requirements in (a) shall:
(1) undertake a proficiency check with an examiner before they resume the exercise of the privileges of their licence; or
(2) perform the additional flight time or take-offs and landings, flying dual or solo under the
supervision of an instructor, in order to fulfil the requirements in (a).

Last edited by gondukin; 5th Dec 2017 at 06:53.