PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is post-secondary education really worth it?
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 14:40
+TSRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you guys don't read or listen, he doesn't want airlines, nor does post secondary education matter.
At what point does any of the advice given above (including mine) apply for the specific purpose of moving towards the airlines?

When I left the bush, over half the pilot management team of the company consisted of pilots with post-secondary education. None of them wants to leave the bush, but all felt getting a post-secondary education was vital to their personal success. They made decisions for the company based on fact, not emotion or fiction, which is precisely what the previous group of managers had done.

I left to go to a company where none of the pilots had any education but had "years of experience in their chosen career." One of those companies is flourishing and the other is circling the drain. I'm not suggesting a distinct correlation between education and business success, but when times got tough the educated managers opened their doors and talked through issues while the non-educated managers closed their doors and one could hear screaming matches from flight planning.

Neither of the companies was an airline, both were flying "bush airplanes," and both had line pilots who were successful in part because they had education outside of basic flight training.