PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 40k $ bond for Captain Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2017, 10:58
fliion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Neptune Spear
Okay I’ll give you my pay but before I dive into that I want to emphasize the treatment and conditions at both companies which is hard to put a realistic monetary value on but it’s significant.
$241 an hour X 80 paid flying hrs of which I maybe fly 74-75 and hardly ever between the hours of 11pm and 6am. In fact I only did 1 (ONE) Red Eye all of this year. That’s $19,762 which is the bare min. Most months I can do that in 12-13days working a month. If I want to pick up trips it’s usually at double time. That’s almost $500an hour. Also we get 16% since we gave up our pension so Im almost up to $23,000 a month. Yes I have to pay taxes but so does every American working in Dubai and at the high rate after the standard overseas deductions.
On just face value an EK widebody captain and a Delta narrow body captain are probably close with regards to pay but then the extras kick in and that’s where it doesn’t even get close. Ex;
I haven’t even brought up the widebodies at Delta since I can’t hold them but I think the pay is around $320 an hour.
I work 13 days.
I stay within 1-2 time zones.
I don’t work at night, in the middle of the night.
The pay comparison above is with me at 80 and EK at 95-100. That’s 15-18% difference just right there.
You get school allowance but you are suppose to pay taxes on the allowance and it doesn’t cover the whole tuition.
I have ATC the FAA and labor laws looking out for me and if those entities don’t do their job the union comes in with full force.
So if the pay is comparable but favors Delta and the intangibles aren’t even close it’s hands down Delta. Defending Emirates or by trying to justify its actions is a sick disease. It does you and your family no good. You can tell yourself many times that I’m better off in the sand but once you escape you realize what a Huge mistake it was to stay even one day longer than you have to. How many pilots that have left have said how much better they feel and how many pilots that have left say they want to come back? The answers to above are All and None.
Top drawer - cap tipped 👍