PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London city airport
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2001, 07:05
RAFAT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't actually find a Vne speed in the book, and I remember asking the same during type training. What is published is a Vmo speed of 243kts, (300) with a note that states this must not be exceeded unless for authorised flight testing/pilot training, so it must go faster without the wings falling off.

Although I miss the F27, the DHC wins hands down when it comes to simultaneously coming down and slowing down. Our SOPs state that 1200 rpm must be used for take off and landing, but for most other phases of flight we bring the rpm back to 900rpm to make things quieter. This is where the flexibility comes from, because if you're high and fast on an approach, bringing the rpm up to 1200 and the power levers back to flight idle makes the thing literally stop on a sixpence, although you would have to be very fast to go to this extreme.

Straight & level is generally 210kts, but in theory, if you could maintain a continuous descent and straight-in approach, I suppose you could keep it at 243kts to about 3-4nm and still get in, but I suspect the flaps may still be travelling over the threshold. Anybody ever done this out there?