PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 40k $ bond for Captain Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2017, 12:50
Bus Driver Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainChipotle
Make it 10 years, people will still sign on the dotted line.

Maybe a few less, but the left seat of a shiny wide body jet and 9 days off a month seems to work just fine.
Picture yourself in their position, would you turn down your own upgrade? You would be jeopardising your own career.
The upgrade bond is a disgrace and of course I don't agree with it, but unfortunately this is the Middle East, where management can do whatever they want. Trying to change anything is impossible here, even by making a statement by not singing the bond and being removed from the upgrade course. If you refuse, someone else is waiting to take your place. So why would you risk anything? It's not Europe, USA or Australia where you are protected by laws and unions.

The upgrade bond doesn't affect me, but I fully understand that people will sign it.

I didn't agree with other policies that affected me and even though I tried, I couldn't change anything. I could either accept it or leave. I took the second option. And I do hope that more people will choose the same option, because that might be the only way for management to see how wrong they are.
FO’s are still scared to call in sick or fatigued because it will impact their ability for command. Add in a few more years on a bond? No problemo.
A result of the, according management non-existent, fear culture.