PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is post-secondary education really worth it?
Old 29th Nov 2017, 17:46
avftw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is post-secondary education really worth it?

Hey!

I'm always apprehensive about using forums. To be frank, you get a lot of dicks. But I'd like to put a question out in the open and try to get as much input as possible before making a potentially life-changing decision.

I'm 21 years old and I spent almost 4 years in the army. In September I began a 2-year diploma program (Aviation - General Arts & Science) at one of Ontario's fine community colleges. It works in tandem with the local flight training centre. We are technically enrolled in 7 courses per semester. 4 college courses, 2 flight related courses at the flight centre, and the last one being actual in-flight training. In my opinion, the flight training could be a program on its own. It is all very time consuming. And as many of you know, flight training is expensive. I'd like more time to work while I continue this training. So naturally, I am considering dropping college and completing my CPL training as a standalone program.

I'm not looking to be a big airline pilot. I just want to move out to BC and fly in the mountains for work. I'm also interested in overseas bush flying. I'm not very concerned about salaries.

My question is this: Through your experiences or interactions, what does the job market currently look like for CPL pilots (multi-engine IFR, night rating) without a post-secondary education in Canada and abroad? What are the odds of getting a job fresh out of flight training with 200 hours? What about at 1000 hours? Would it be more practical to find a full-time airport ramp job to put on my resume than to continue community college?

Thanks in advance.

Alex