PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 40k $ bond for Captain Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2017, 21:06
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth pointing out that nationality should and has little to do with the debate about newly promoted EK skippers and any bond liability. We keep reading about the pending pilot shortage and that pilots will be in demand. Well they are now very much in demand in the UAE! Bonding new skippers is clear evidence of this and also evidence that EK has now sunk to the embarrassing depths of being a 'training airline'. No disrespect to those who make it though the training and especially as an F/O, as you will have the privilege to fly with some of the best in the industry. For the F/Os joining with the right attitude, you can emerge to be a cut above the rest when it comes to applying for your next job. Having EK on your CV does (still) carry a lot of weight, which you can use to your advantage when the time comes. Soak up the useful tips and advice from those you fly with in the future and discard those snippets that you feel to be less useful (which happens rarely I hasten to add) but please just take any advice in good heart. Anything we pass on is for your benefit and not ours!

Back to the matter in hand, it is just sad that we have sunk to the level of being a training airline but not surprising given the lack of any succinct and clear vision, in addition to any degree of sensible leadership from those at the top. The same accountable individuals have proven to be utterly dysfunctional and arrogant, which is ultimately encapsulated with an overriding degree of weakness with how they convey their guidance and wisdom to those on the shop floor.

Come here if you want to build experience and it is a great place for that but the days of joining for a command and a career are well and truly over. I don't have an axe to grind but this is the cold reality as I see it! You will build far more experience as a person and also as a pilot in the Middle East than you would flying around and living in your own 'back yard' but only you can evaluate if it is a step worth taking.