PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 40k $ bond for Captain Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2017, 16:25
FUSE PLUG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So let me get this straight. Captains at EK leave so frequently that the company is placing a training bond... on CAPTAINS! Don’t you see why EK is a joke around the globe? Why would a captain even need a bond in the first place? Why would he/she ever want to leave a high paying and prestigious job flying wide-body aircraft? We all know the answer to that rhetorical question. Which is now why you have a training bond.

What I can’t seem to figure out though, is how does this thread drift to besmirching American pilots? How is it that you guys manage to, once again, reduce yourselves to petty bickering about made up operational inequities in Americans? To disparage the flying abilities of an entire nationality is ignorant.

Former ek skipper here. Now 3 years at United. I have insight on both sides discussed and I want to comment.

The truth: I currently fly international, and the captains I share the cockpit with are just as skilled as the ones I worked with when I was at EK. The vast majority here at UA are fantastic and professional aviators. They earned their seat through study, through seniority and their command ability is at just as high of a standard as you have at EK. Training here is not a walk in the park and guys do get caught up from time to time. American pilots are your peers, and deserve just as much respect as you would give to anyone else. They also make more money than you... and have more time off... and don’t need a training bond. Which leads me to believe that maybe you guys are just a bit jealous and resort to insulting their flying skills as a defense mechanism.

Speaking of money... since that was discussed in earlier posts, this is where I stand in case anyone is curious.

In terms of pure take home pay, the money I now make as an FO is not much less as my EK Capt. salary. The big difference is that I make that money while working far fewer days. I get 5 to 6 more days off per month than I did while at EK. Thats an extra 60 days (2 months) off per year! If you figure $ per day worked, I make more than an EK skipper on the days when I have to work. No question. The way I see it, I was flying 2 extra months per year for free when I was in Dubai.

I also get...
To pick the plane I want to fly
To pick the base I want to fly it from
To fly as much or as little as I choose
To bid and be awarded a schedule I choose
To drop trips
To swap trips without restriction
To get the vacation I ask for
To move that vacation to other dates if I choose
To file a grievance if my contract is violated
To get comp days off if my schedule is disrupted
To fly standby for free with my family
To live where I want
To pick the doctor I want
To not be constantly crippled by the effects of compounding fatigue
The list goes on....

The down side: I have to drive myself to work. I also have to pay for my own house, utilities, and pay taxes but, it’s so worth the trade off for all of the other things listed above.

If I’ve come off as a braggart that was not my intent. Just wanted to give my viewpoint since mud was being slung and I have seen both sides... I miss you guys.

Keep rowing boys.