PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 40k $ bond for Captain Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2017, 16:10
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by typhoonpilot
As a long time instructor and examiner at Emirates and one of the senior Americans, until I left, I find a lot wrong with your post, but I'll concentrate on this part for now.
Lemme guess, you went to DXB because you found the captain training standards at Airways just weren't high enough?

Originally Posted by givemewings
Have to love the comment about US line training there not to destroy confidence. We're talking about EK here. The apparent methodology at EK is to get you second guessing yourself and have that fear in the back of your mind. There's the saying 'you're only as good as your last flight'. They could give two craps if you've served them loyally for years, one screw up* and you're done. (And by screw up* it doesn't even have to be a mistake on your side, it can be on the say so of some passenger is who is mildly related to the maid of someone with some wasta) I know a guy who got canned and the worst part was he was on his CRC break at the time of the alleged 'offence'.... too bad so sad he was the marked man and out he went.

it's a bit hard to have confidence when you know that the company only backs captain's authority over the aircraft so long as it's making them money and they agree with said authority decisions.
Like I said, it's a different attitude in America. I've always prepared for training and tried to pass the checkride on the first three tries. And I can honestly say that I've never felt commercial pressure to change a command decision. You can get fired at a U.S. union airline but you have to work pretty hard at it in my view.

I will agree that American training has been dumbed down in the past couple of decades in part to embrace a broader, more inclusive and diverse demographic.