PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK 40k $ bond for Captain Upgrades
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2017, 04:20
harry the cod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
felixthecat

Just ignore him. He's often on here extolling the virtues of the big US carriers and seems to know a huge a amount about EK & Dubai despite not working or living here. His posts would have more credibility were those two facts somewhat different.

Having said that, I have no doubt in my mind that those fortunate to be employed by the 'Majors' and who are fairly senior, with the right base and right aircraft have an easier and more 'protected' lifestyle than many in EK. The trips on the 380 are getting harder with busier rosters now and the Company will dismiss you for screwing up. No amount of emails or video about disregarding the fear factor can overcome the reality. Words are cheap, action is what's important. If the Moscow crew are still here by Christmas, then and only then, will the Companies promise hold true and pilots start believing the rhetoric.

As for the US command courses, Airbubba is correct but it comes with naivety. The main US airlines are heavily Union protected and the upgrade courses are rarely more then a handling exercise in the left seat. They are not as comprehensive as those like Qantas, BA or EK's. There are individuals who will get through by nothing more than luck and seniority. If he thinks that's acceptable, then his view on command standards is very different to many others I'm sure.

So too I'd imagine from the victims of the Colgan air crash that had a below average performing F/O promoted to Captain without the correct filters and checks.

Harry