PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it worth doing an IMC before CPL/IR
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2003, 01:26
carbonfibre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMC

Expedite
I am in favour of people doing the IMC as gives good basic instrument techniques.

HWD i disagree with you on this one, its not just the complex that will get them on the CPL its the instruments with the complex type that will screw them up. Thats why most schools have now gone from the 20 hours basic and 5 complex to 15 basic and 10 complex because the conversion time on instruments, speed, procedures etc.

I have to say that if you do your CPL first then forget the IMC spend a little time with a good instructor in US and do 5 hours good quality instrument handling and VOR tracking, let your CPL instructor go through the NDB.

If as some people, you do go for the IR first, then i would do the IMC, i have recently started my IR and people who have not done the CPL or do not have an IMC are really struggling, and this is the general feeling of many instructors i talk to, most are spending at least an extra 3-4 in the sim and upto 5 in aircraft before 170A, thats a lot of money, considerably more than an IMC, and if you base the cost of lets say£125 IMC instruction as opposed to £300+ on the IR it soon pays.

So dont do it if CPL first but if you intend IR first i would strongly
recommend it

Hope this helps