PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The new Qantas uniform...who did the homework on this one?(merged)
Old 15th Sep 2003, 13:33
Mr Seatback 2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel The new Qantas uniform...who did the homework on this one?

I am now the owner of a brand new set of duds referred to as the new Qantas uniform...'interesting' is the best description of this uniform.

Now - before I begin - I want to make it clear that I trying to be as objective as possible. I neither like or dislike the uniform, and accept that there is no way in hell that you can get every single staff member to like the one uniform - so compromises need to be made. But I am highlighting the major impracticalities of what would be an otherwise lovely uniform...

The jacket - nice design, but why only two buttons? Could we not spare the third button (standard on most single breasted jackets)? And the lining...I look like I'm about to go to Marrickville RSL with this lining (and the point of it is? WHO is going to see the lining when, as most of the time requires according to the manual, the jacket is to be buttoned up?)

The material on the jackets and pants - it's simply not going to last. In my past life (in menswear...Captain Peacock are you freeeee?), wool crepe has a nasty habit of self destructing within a year. I actually owned a suit and wore it much like a uniform (only at work, 2 pairs of pants, etc). and the material wore out and lost shape very quickly. Customers came back with the suit when it started to fall apart at the crotch (a traditionally 'high use' area)...so I only hope there is a bit more wool and little less polyester, as was the case from my many bad experiences of the past...

The shirts...hmmmm...the stretchy fabric thing was a nice idea...but did anyone try it on for a 4 sector day? I dropped a shirt as I was ironing it (testing to see how hot I could iron it without melting...charming) and it crumpled up like a Smiths Crisp...and I had to do it all over again. If my shirt can't stand falling on the floor for 2 seconds, how in gods' name is it going to withstand sitting a cramped jumpseat for landing, takeoff, bending, stretching, twitching (on those Maroochydore flights), etc...

And for the record, my old cotton shirts dropped creases in seconds - these new ones will make us all look like we've slept in them after just one sector (and here's me thinking I can hold onto the glamour for at LEAST the whole work day!). God help the kids at Long Haul who sleep in them...not a good look!

The print dress - again, another nice idea, but don't count on receiving them for a little while yet. Apparently they have a nasty habit of melting (just like pantyhose) when you go down a slide...not what I would call handy, for an FA at least...

The Day Bag... ...Now...to put this into perspective, I took my uniform to another Link Chicks house. This little Link Chick just happens to be more camp than a row of tents (and they're not female). This little Link Chick carries a clear purse with a fluro pink pom-pom on top of the cart to collect bar money.

When I presented the Day Bag to said little Link Chick, the following happened:
a) he squealed
b) he quickly put it on
c) he froze, looked at me; then turned without indicating
d) and said "This is too camp - even for me!"

For the girls, it's a great bag - unless of course you wish to carry around an A4 document (like a magazine, study folder, etc)...in which case, leave it behind - cause it won't fit! As for the statement "fits laptops"...WHAT laptops? Those Palm handheld ones??? Where? If I can't fit an A4 study folder in this bag, where then do I put it? Trolley bag? On a Day Trip? YEAH - right...and considering us boys aren't allowed to use anything else it's either "ALL STOPS TO CAMPVILLE" or wallets in pockets kids!

My solution is simple:
a) Change the fabric in the jacket and pants - keep the design (and maybe change the lining to something a bit more, oooh, I don't know - BETTER?)
b) Change the fabric of the shirts - keep the design - so we don't all look like we've played rugger before each shift by the time we get there
c) Give the boys a bit more of a 'masculine' bag (just like the current day bag - only modified...even if it includes that bloody kangaroo on the front!)

I realise I've probably opened the floodgates, but dammit it all people...

IT'S JUST NOT PRACTICAL!

How is a Link Chick meant to look pretty all day with all this against them?