PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Question of Command. DC-8 accident in USA
Old 19th Nov 2017, 20:16
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by filejw
"Training in the plane was a deadly business decades ago." Lots of fun but serious business !
Airbubba & filejw,

I'd certainly agree with you both. DL also had another training accident in '72 at KGSW:

https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=19720530-0

Not part of doing V1 cuts in the airplane but a terrible accident none the less. Lost an FAA inspector in that one IIRC. Heck of a nice guy.

Speaking of V1 cuts in the airplane, as you know, they were just part of the deal in the pre-visual-sim days. You didn't get finish the type rating until you'd done the airplane portion which involved pulling an engine to idle at V1 as well landing in the same state.

While there was certainly a risk to all this, it was a great confidence builder. And, the airplane was easier to manage than the sim anyway.

The first sims I encountered with visuals were crude affairs and I can't remember how long before ratings were a sim-only process.

I guess all things considered, today's environment is better.

Bubba,

"Also, wasn't there some zero the rudder trim on final procedure? On some planes the rudder trim seems to be a big deal on an engine(s) out landing, on others not so much."

Yes, don't know about the DC8 but the MD80 series contained this statement in the training stuff; best place for it was in the flair. Don't bet money on my recollection of the reason but I think it's because the rudder trim displaced the rudder pedals which displaced the nose wheel from centered once the strut was compressed:

Not Later Than Touchdown

The PNF zeros the rudder trim as briefed by the PF, no later than touchdown. Failure to center the rudder trim may create directional control problems during the rollout.

Last edited by bafanguy; 19th Nov 2017 at 20:41.