PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Erosion of Pay and Conditions - What are we doing about it?
Old 15th Sep 2003, 08:59
Kaptin M
Moderate, Modest & Mild.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

The realisation amongst pilots, has set in too late I'd venture to say.
Any solution for airline staff in general, lay in their hands when each group was more or less organised to approach problems in a united manner ie. unions.
The airline managements and governments (not only in Australia) have been fighting this orchestrated war of attrition for over a decade now, and only NOW are the fruits of their labour starting to become apparent by way of decreased income for the general worker, and massive increased rewards for upper level management.
As of some time ago, the major splintering of the groups began.
The decision to let Ansett collapse and be replaced by Virgin Blue was almost certainly deliberate on the government's part.

Quite frankly, I see no solution in the short term.
Imo, the crunch will come later on when individuals begin to realise that it simply isn't worth spending vast sums of money to enter what used to be a "profession", for the meagre returns.
However, I guess this will be countered by the governments by allowing a lessening (lowering) of the previous and current standards, and the continuation of pilot cadet schemes.
Then again there will ALWAYS be the mindset that reckons flying is a good job, regardless of what they're (not) paid.

Again, imo, there is very little thought being given to the impact that these purely industrial attacks are undoubtedly going to have on flight Safety - regardless of the advances in automation.

"Who will be next?" - AFAP 1989.
Answer = The Entire Airline Industry.