PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Better than the rest of us?
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2017, 10:44
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Surely a quick-thinking PA announcement would have solved the problem causing minimal delay.

"Folks, you may have noticed us taxiing back to the terminal. Its all thanks to the selfish ignoramus in seat 3A who is refusing to switch his personal electronic device to flight mode. You might like to share your opinion with him as his refusal to follow CASA regulations will cause you all personally at least a 20 min delay at your destination. Whilst we would never condone physical assault, common f@rkin courtesy IS our number one priority."

Quickly followed by "Thank you for your prompt cooperation, would seat rows 4 to 20 please return to their seats, ensure their seatbelts are fastened, and pick up any errant PED parts on the way."
Friend of mine who flew the HS 748 from Nandi, Fiji on regional services, sent me this story:

"Back in the bad old days when smoking was permitted except for takeoff and landing I did something similar.

I was Captain on an HS748 on the last evening service from Nadi to Nausori. It was a stormy night, with nice lightning displays clearly visible to the pax. The hostie made the usual PA before takeoff announcing a flight time of 30 minutes. Just prior to top of descent I made the usual PA from the cockpit.

Despite this, a fat Yank lit up his cigar. Five minutes later of course we put the ‘no smoking’ sign on. Fat Yank kicked up a fuss refusing to butt out his stogie, saying something like he had only just lit it.

Hostie reported to me. I got back on the PA, with words to the effect that we would be going into a holding pattern until the American gentleman in 3A either complied, or finished his cigar. A couple of burly but nervous flyer Fijians did the rest".